Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro 15' next upgrade

Options
  • 01-12-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

My current dell xsp studio laptop is beginning to show it's age and I'm looking to purchase a new laptop.

My needs:
    - I do a fair bit of web application development.
    - Planning to start doing some iPhone app development soon too.
    - I spend a decent amount of time watching movies on laptop.
    - Like to play simulation games such as Civ V and Football manager.
    - Good bit of general internet browsing, etc...

I'd basically like to get a laptop that roughly meet's my needs.
    I have to admit I love the look an feel of the MBPs too...bit of a sucker for sexy gadgets!

I'm willing to spend 2000 - 2500.

I'd love to get the MBPR but specing it out for my future needs results in a ridiculous price of over 3000!

What are peoples's thought's on the current regular MBP's? I.e. 2.3 vs 2.6, 512mb nVidia vs 1Gb nVidia?
    (I'll purchase and install SSD + 16GB Ram for a fraction of cost apple charges).

I'm worried that the next gen macbook's could come out within the next 3 months or so...and contain the new intel haswell cpu which supposedly have far superior built in GPU.

Thought's, opinions, experiences sought :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I got a new laptop myself recently, I think haswell will be 4-5 months away, if your comfy waiting then you may as well. On the other hand Haswell is going to be minor enough step up like ivy bridge was, the main improvement will be in the graphics side of things. The thing is you are interested in getting a nVidia GPU so haswells graphics performance is irrelevant to you (a 650m will still trash haswell). From what I have read on the rumor mill, maxwell, the next version of nVidias GPUs aren't due for a good while yet (probably a year or more), due to the delays in Kepler.

As for the macbook itself I think its important to be aware that you'll be paying over the odds compared to a similar specced Windows laptop, worth it for some I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

As imitation said, you'll pay over the odds for the Apple. Have you used OSX before? Have you considered any of the high spec Windows ultrabooks* like the Asus U500?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-zenbook-u500_Laptop_review

I'm getting a new laptop next year and will most likely go for the Asus, or this Dell;

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-l521x/pd?oc=n00x1512&model_id=xps-15-l521x

Both quality machines, high spec, plenty of RAM, SSD's, full HD, etc - easily matching the Apple but quite a bit cheaper. If you're happy with Windows there are options for you to stay with it.

* There aren't quite Ultrabooks in that they're 15" but they're very slim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

imitation wrote: »
    I got a new laptop myself recently, I think haswell will be 4-5 months away, if your comfy waiting then you may as well. On the other hand Haswell is going to be minor enough step up like ivy bridge was, the main improvement will be in the graphics side of things. The thing is you are interested in getting a nVidia GPU so haswells graphics performance is irrelevant to you (a 650m will still trash haswell). From what I have read on the rumor mill, maxwell, the next version of nVidias GPUs aren't due for a good while yet (probably a year or more), due to the delays in Kepler.

As for the macbook itself I think its important to be aware that you'll be paying over the odds compared to a similar specced Windows laptop, worth it for some I guess ;)

Yeah I'm well aware of apple's "Over the odds" hardware prices! ;)

One of the big factors influencing my decision is my desire to start developing apps for the iPhone. As far as I'm aware, this is only possible on OSX.

I know I could pick up a mac mini for a 500/600 but as I said, I'd prefer to just invest in one machine I can do everything from the comfort of the sofa :)

Good point about 650m trashing the haswell.

I might wait a few months and try pick up current macbook pro a little cheaper whe they announce the next version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

SuprSi wrote: »
    As imitation said, you'll pay over the odds for the Apple. Have you used OSX before? Have you considered any of the high spec Windows ultrabooks* like the Asus U500?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-zenbook-u500_Laptop_review

I'm getting a new laptop next year and will most likely go for the Asus, or this Dell;

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-l521x/pd?oc=n00x1512&model_id=xps-15-l521x

Both quality machines, high spec, plenty of RAM, SSD's, full HD, etc - easily matching the Apple but quite a bit cheaper. If you're happy with Windows there are options for you to stay with it.

* There aren't quite Ultrabooks in that they're 15" but they're very slim anyway.

Hi SuprSi

I'm a very happy windows as well as Linux user over the years.

As I mentioned to imitation, a big factor is my desire to start developing app for iphone, ipad, etc..
    I've never used OSX before but I don's see it been a problem to pick up.
    I can play around with a mac mini in work for a few weeks before deciding if I like the OS.

If I did'nt want to develop apple app then I won't more than likely go with one of those options you provided and install windows (Linux in VBox) ;)

Advertisement