Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else find 'Movember' moustache growers a bit smug?

Options
  • 02-12-2012 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

Comments

No. juan-kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

juan.kerr wrote: »
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Can't grow one eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

You absolute bag of misery OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

No, I go the extra step and have Beard-vember.

And Beard-cember, Beard-uary, Beard-ruary, Barch, Bapril (no baps), Bay, Bune, Buly, Baugust, Beard-tember, Beard-tober.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

You absolute bag of misery OP.

Rubbish. I donate to charities, but prefer to keep it anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Who the hell do they think they are,growing moustaches and walking around with a face on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

You should have kept that anonymous. Another juan-kerr will think you're smug now.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

this is a trick question right?

kneemos wrote: »
    Who the hell do they think they are,growing moustaches and walking around with a face on them.

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

You can donate on these sites anonymously. No one is asking you come away from your keyboard self.

I don't get what you see as being smug if someone wants to raise money for charity? Or even if someone wants to grow a moustache for a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I think it makes men look silly, however some of the women I've seen last month sporting moustaches have looked quite distinguished.

Anyway, it's all for a good cause, so to quibble over the wearers' smugness or otherwise is a bit churlish.

It's not just about collecting for charity, its also to raise awareness about prostate and testicular cancer among men.

http://ie.movember.com/mens-health/

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hmm, you sound kind of smug there! ;)

What a ridiculous thread. I dont feel smug. A little sad, I didnt make that much. Most was a pity donation by my sister lol. People can still donate apparently but I cant see me getting any mo.
    I know many people that did it and we just did it to help people and have a laugh. I didnt meet a single smug mo-bro.

Larianne wrote: »
    It's not just about collecting for charity, its also to raise awareness about prostate and testicular cancer among men.

Maybe, but that aspect doesn't really get any coverage. apart from some stupid radio ad where some 'celebrity' says NADS or BALLS similar.

I'm not even sure that all the moustaches are official or sponsored.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good heavens! Men growing moustaches without sponsors? Whatever next?!

Andy!! wrote: »
    Hmm, you sound kind of smug there! ;).

Not really, since no one here knows who I am. Whereas the moustache growers are walking around showing off their moustaches.

Maybe, but that aspect doesn't really get any coverage. apart from some stupid radio ad where some 'celebrity' says NADS or BALLS similar.

Yeah, but you starting a thread about it here in After Hours and then me posting a link to the website about mens health may have a few people click it and have a read of it. It all helps.

Not exactly the same thing, but I went for a smear test after reading a thread on Boards. Told my friends I was going for one, which got us talking and two that I know of, then went and got a smear test also. All clear! WHOOO.

So what if they're offical or not? Some people like wearing moustaches. It's kinda hipster to do so at the moment, innit?

Its a simple way for guys to get involved in raising money and promoting awareness of male specific cancers.

Larianne wrote: »
    So what if they're offical or not? Some people like wearing moustaches. It's kinda hipster to do so at the moment, innit?

I don't really 'get' this hipster thing, so maybe it's just jealousy on my part.

They'll be wearing Christmas Jumpers?

I should probably keep my opinions on Christmas Jumpers to myself...

• Advertisement

Not really, since no one here knows who I am. Whereas the moustache growers are walking around showing off their moustaches.

Who do they think they are growing facial hair! Scumbags!

Who do they think they are growing facial hair! Scumbags!

You're not wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

So called men's cancers do not get enough awareness as the so called Pink month lasts all year now...there are other cancers that are far bigger killers than the so called Pink ones such as lung cancer. I applaud any men who support Movember.

You're not wrong.

I don't normally admit to this. Especially not online and especially not in AH but yes, I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Finally every second bloke in ireland will no longer look like a skanger or gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I hope you're not suggesting that a man might wear a moustache because he thinks it 'looks good' on him.

I've only ever seen three people who've looked even remotely cool sporting these facial abominations: Bryan Ferry, Brandon Flowers, and the late lamented Betty Driver from the TV Soap 'Coronation Street'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Movember began with great intentions raising awareness about men's health but this year I know close to 10 chaps who grow a trash and when I asked how much they raised for charity they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I moustache you a question!

I moustache you a question!

Go for it.

• Advertisement

Dancor wrote: »
    Movember began with great intentions raising awareness about men's health but this year I know close to 10 chaps who grow a trash and when I asked how much they raised for charity they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Tossers.

Maybe their top lip gets cold in November? Tis chilly out.

Advertisement