Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Club Membership in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alley cat

bigeasy wrote: »

Hi not sure if male or female in the thread, but Scarke does not have a ladies society currently though they are keen to get one, just need 5 ladies to go on commitee . I think a technicality but means not affliated to the ILGU so you won't get an offical handicap.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I am thinking of joining Swords Open in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone on boards is a member of the place?? Just looking for a few words of wisdom on what the procedure is for getting a handicap after joining and if there are better places to join for around the same money?? North Dublin preferably. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭board.eddy

130 quid for a student in slievenamon, 160 quid for a member living 50km away

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I am thinking of joining Swords Open in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone on boards is a member of the place?? Just looking for a few words of wisdom on what the procedure is for getting a handicap after joining and if there are better places to join for around the same money?? North Dublin preferably. Thanks

Hi ,

I joined Swords Open this year for 400 which is 100 joining and 300 membership , it s then 10 midweek or 15 weekends. Find it to be a great club . Ive no interest in club scene etc...I tend to play early on Sat or Sun and its usually 4 1/2 hours door to door for me which is brilliant. Course is always in good condition and the head greenkeeper plays most weekends so he has a personal interest :)
    ANy members Ive met are sound and rarely any issues getting out tho i usually play on my own wherever i can squeeze in.
    Only slight problem is there is a waiting list for membership , but if interested , now would be the time to get your name down.
    Any more info let me know .

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Is there any site where you can do a comparison?

Me and a friend are looking to get handicaps and were going to go down the cheap far away option but i agree with what people are sayin.

Part time college student so i could use the "free" rounds during the week etc a lot. In south Dub btw if there are any obv choices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

What's the difference between distance and normal membership. I'm living in Dublin since I went to college 8 years ago, but kept my membership in my home club. Are there restrictions on competitions you can play in and times you can play?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Cheap Golf membership at Blessington Lakes Golf Club €150 from now until Feb 2013.

Taken from site

"Offer open to everyone of ALL AGES. Full GUI/ILGU Subscription & GUI Handicap entitles you to participate in any open competition around the country. First three games at Blessington Lakes are free. There after pay a €15 green fee to play the course. 18 weekend open competitions scheduled at Blessington Lakes 2012 (€15 entry). 24 midweek open competitions scheduled at Blessington Lakes 2012 (€15 entry). This category of golf membership entitles the minor member to no voting rights"

20 minutes form Tallaght so much closer to Dublin than Slievenamon

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gggg

Cheapest membership has to be Scarke? 99 quid for the year. I live in Louth and will be joining in 2013. You dont even need to walk through the gates of Scarke once throughout the year to maintain your official GUI handicap - just play opens all over the shop. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

gggg wrote: »
    Cheapest membership has to be Scarke? 99 quid for the year. I live in Louth and will be joining in 2013. You dont even need to walk through the gates of Scarke once throughout the year to maintain your official GUI handicap - just play opens all over the shop. Happy days.
    This is the problem with this type of membership, you get a handicap on a course then u are never seen again. Most guys improve when they start playing comps but if you are only playing team opens then your handicap may never be cut. in my opinion you should have to play at least 5 comps in your home club to keep a current handicap and u should not be able to win a prize in any type of open if you don't, there should be no issue with you signing up but no prizes. It's time the GUI got things sorted and have all open comps recorded on your GUI number even team events.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

You obviously have no concept of what golf club membership is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Or he knows exactly what he wants - the cheapest GUI handicap he can manage so that he can play in Opens around the place. I might be in a similar situation next year where I can't afford membership in a club that would suit me, so being able to keep a handicap so that I can keep up the game through green fees and comps seems a good option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I reckon there will be a lot of people looknig at this type of membership next year. While it has its negatives, the clubs which these lads play the opens are getting green fee's.

Now €15 or so isn't going to make the club up but its better than nothing.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I reckon there will be a lot of people looknig at this type of membership next year. While it has its negatives, the clubs which these lads play the opens are getting green fee's.

Now €15 or so isn't going to make the club up but its better than nothing.

Why not just pay green fees or play in a society?
    I think it the thing of not playing regular golf in your home club to maintain a handicap. If you just want to play golf try teetimes.ie. Distance membership was for people who had moved away from a club to stay a member for a reduced rate. Country membership was for people who were a member of one club to join a club where they might holiday. These have changed into ways for certain clubs to make money where they have no interest in the players handicap, they can't do annual reviews as the person has played zero comps there that year and it seems half the time they might not even be playing 3 rounds to get there handicap.
    Mike
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Pretty harsh. No possibility gggg's concept or how much he is willing to pay might be different to yours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

mike12 wrote: »
    Why not just pay green fees or play in a society?
    Mike

To get GUI and thus to be able to play in Opens etc.

It's not ideal for the future of golf in Ireland but there are some minor positives in that, clubs (other clubs, not the club that has offered a cut price deal) are getting a bit of additional income and another positive that some golfers are progressing from casual/society into getting a GUI, hopefully this will lead in time to people getting hooked and realizing they need a local club to practice/play regularly...and if there personal finances allow it, join this local club.

I've followed a similar path.
    Started off casual and society.
    Paid a deposit on a country membership during the summer (in my hometown club in Mayo, living in Dublin)
    Haven't been down since I paid deposit, now realize that I need to join somewhere up here if I really want to get serious.
    Will be joining a local club in Jan... just need to get finger out and decide on which course of my 2 shortlists that will be.

I know that some golfers who avail of these offers will never progress into full membership in a local club, but if it's a new opportunity to open up golf to the greater population, some of whom will then go onto join a local club, then it can't be all that bad.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    To get GUI and thus to be able to play in Opens etc.

It's not ideal for the future of golf in Ireland but there are some minor positives in that, clubs (other clubs, not the club that has offered a cut price deal) are getting a bit of additional income and another positive that some golfers are progressing from casual/society into getting a GUI, hopefully this will lead in time to people getting hooked and realizing they need a local club to practice/play regularly...and if there personal finances allow it, join this local club.

I've followed a similar path.
    Started off casual and society.
    Paid a deposit on a country membership during the summer (in my hometown club in Mayo, living in Dublin)
    Haven't been down since I paid deposit, now realize that I need to join somewhere up here if I really want to get serious.
    Will be joining a local club in Jan... just need to get finger out and decide on which course of my 2 shortlists that will be.

I know that some golfers that avail of these offers will never progress into full membership in a local club, but if it's a new opportunity to open up golf to the greater population, some of whom will then go onto join a local club, then it can't be all that bad.
    Where did u play in Mayo?
    I know that the options around Dublin are a bit more expensive for the GUI but would rather see guys join one of those where they can play 4/5 times. The difference between the cost of green fees and opens is very little and often the same so by the time you spend your 100 plus you save very little.
    Mike
    Mike

I know that the options around Dublin are a bit more expensive for the GUI but would rather see guys join one of those where they can play 4/5 times. The difference between the cost of green fees and opens is very little and often the same so by the time you spend your 100 plus you save very little.
    Mike
    Mike

there is prob about €10 a difference between green fees. You would need to play 90 open days to make that up (taking the €99 membership mentioned earlier)

With a GUI you can play any open day, anywhere but if you don't will you get on the timesheet?? Am not sure.

Mike
    Mike

That's twice now you've signed off with "Mike Mike" Mike :)
    Castlebar in Mayo is club.

I know the cost can be similar for opens v ordinary green fees and that the 100 euro might mean that nothing is "saved" over the year.
    My logic is that if some has a GUI and is playing Opens, then they would be more inclined to / realize sooner that joining a local club is the only way to go if they can afford it.

Maybe my logic isn't correct, I just see it as a little forward in someone progressing to sign up to a local club.

there is prob about €10 a difference between green fees. You would need to play 90 open days to make that up (taking the €99 membership mentioned earlier)

With a GUI you can play any open day, anywhere but if you don't will you get on the timesheet?? Am not sure.

90 * €10 = €900 Charlie :D

I might sell you that driver after all if that's the way you are with figures ;)
    It's yours for 70 Tenners :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I had never heard of Scarke golf club so I did a quick google search.

Unglika REALLY doesn't like the place

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66077723

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

link_2007 wrote: »
    I had never heard of Scarke golf club so I did a quick google search.

Unglika REALLY doesn't like the place

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66077723

I think his issue is more to do with the people who join thesr clubs rather than the club itself

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    90 * €10 = €900 Charlie :D

I might sell you that driver after all if that's the way you are with figures ;)
    It's yours for 70 Tenners :)

Say €10 difference in gree fees x 90 games = €900 + €99 joining fee = average sub of €1000 Comprende!! :p

Say €10 difference in gree fees x 90 games = €900 + €99 joining fee = average sub of €1000 Comprende!! :p

Ah here.... Where are you off to?

We were taking about someone joining for €100 and then clawing that €100 spent in savings over the year from reductions in green fees by playing opens instead of casual rounds.

We were never comparing it to a Sub of €1,000.
    Who the hell gets to play 90 opens a year anyway :D

But if you want to play loads of golf you are better off in a club. There are very few opens on during the weekend in the winter time so its hard to get out as green fees. Plus you have all the travel 10 or 15 quid traveling to an open will take the good value out of it fairly quickly.
    If you join a local club with a Membership fee of 1000 and play once a week over the year it works out at less than 20 quid a round. Plus you have the evenings during the summer when u can nip out for as many holes as you can play in the evening where if u are paying a green fee u are not heading out for a few holes on a nice summer evening.
    If you spend the 150 getting a GUI plus 20 opens + 10 green fees for the year plus travel a few quid a trip you are close to the 1000.
    If you play 5 times a year then the distance membership may be the way to go but for anyone who wants to play lots of golf they should be getting membership in a local course.
    Mike

But if you want to play loads of golf you are better off in a club. There are very few opens on during the weekend in the winter time so its hard to get out as green fees. Plus you have all the travel 10 or 15 quid traveling to an open will take the good value out of it fairly quickly.
    If you join a local club with a Membership fee of 1000 and play once a week over the year it works out at less than 20 quid a round. Plus you have the evenings during the summer when u can nip out for as many holes as you can play in the evening where if u are paying a green fee u are not heading out for a few holes on a nice summer evening.
    If you spend the 150 getting a GUI plus 20 opens + 10 green fees for the year plus travel a few quid a trip you are close to the 1000.
    If you play 5 times a year then the distance membership may be the way to go but for anyone who wants to play lots of golf they should be getting membership in a local course.
    Mike

Agreed Mike, and that's where I am with my thinking.
    I am also in favour of people joining local clubs instead of taking up offers like this.
    However, the reality is, and the point I'm trying to make is, that a low cost distance membership has benefits, main ones I can see are.

*Golfer: Gives them the flexibility to play as much golf as they can afford throughout the year. The are not committed to paying 12 installments of €70-80 each month. They pay small outlay and then can play opens/green fees as they can afford to do so throughout the year.

*Golf In Ireland: Whilst it's not ideal for golf in general, the reality is that a lot of golfers can not afford the average sub. If a low cost alternative is there then hopefully this can keep people in the game until things pick up for them. It also opens up the option of competitive golf to newcomers who are unsure about making a large financial commitment by singing up for an average yearly sub.
    My logic behind this is that casual / society rounds are not going to get someone into golf as much as that person getting involved in a competitive open.

All I am trying to put out there is that nothing is black or white, there are pros and cons to this type of membership and we shouldn't dismiss it solely as a negative to the game in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ernieprice

Kinsale Golf Club had the following motion accepted at the Munster Branch AGM and it has been submitted to the AGM of the GUI :
    Bye Law 8 : ELIGIBILITY TO COMPETE IN CLUB OPEN GOLF EVENTS.
    8.4 In order to be eligible to compete in any Club Open Competition every player must have returned 4 qualifying scores in his home club in the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

ernieprice wrote: »
    Kinsale Golf Club had the following motion accepted at the Munster Branch AGM and it has been submitted to the AGM of the GUI :
    8.4 In order to be eligible to compete in any Club Open Competition every player must have returned 4 qualifying scores in his home club in the previous year.

That was defeated I think

http://www.gui.ie/munster/general/result-of-motions-at-adm-munster-2012.aspx

I think his issue is more to do with the people who join these clubs rather than the club itself

Correct Ricky, The club is the club, it is what made the game of golf the game it is today.

The club is the glue that binds everyone together, It is the reason that as of yet, to the best of my knowledge no members club in the past 30 to 40 years has closed, unlike these propriorty golf courses which are now beggining to close down or are in NAMA creating a race to the bottom.

It is the club golfer that continues to support his own club and play in their own competitons that will see those clubs survive even at the cost of having to pay levies. The floating market of green fee or open competiton players that are out there at the moment, will have an impact on the reduced fees that the members club will have to pay, but it will be the loyalty of the core of members that will keep golf going.

Although he can be a bit of a pain(:D), greebo would appear to be a person who I would like to be in a club with or the likes of Keano who got the society off the ground, I know with help from others, or yourself indeed Rick a person who takes on to do a committee job for the betterment of others, if no one in clubs did competitions or handicaps or secretaries or treasurers, etc there would be no competitions for the handicap buyers to play in and there are a number of others on boards who would appear to be good club members..

It is a great pity that all of the branches at their delegates meeting turned down the suggestion that you must play at least 4 rounds of golf in your home club per year as this would have helped on 2 levels, 1. more accurate monitoring of handicaps and 2.a reduction in the number of people simply buying handicaps.

And by the way there is the rule within CONGU that your handicap must be held at the club in which you play most of your competitive golf, so if you don't play at your home club your handicap could well come in for scrutiny as to whether or not it should be allowed.

Indeed I am not per say against members clubs charging lower rates for memberships as I know from expierience that these clubs do try and monitor handicaps more strictly and are trying to keep going.

I am not against any person buying a membership they can afford, I am against a person buying a "membership" for a convinience of handicap.

I am against NAMA owned golf courses whose rates of green fees are set below local members clubs because they can do so in an effort to to make it look as if they can survive.

I am against propriotry golf course in the main as their prime objective is to make money for themselves and as can be seen from recent events care little about the people who have helped them to build up that business in the first place.

I'll sit back now and wait for the usual reply's

• Advertisement

ernieprice wrote: »

It will be lost at the AGM in February, there is no way the UNion will pass this motion

Advertisement