Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50,000 stolen from front garden

Options
  • 25-11-2012 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

A MOTHER was tied up and threatened at knife point by thieves who made off with €50,000 hidden in the family's front garden.

The woman, who was in her 50s, was threatened by two men – one armed with a knife – after she returned to her home in Sutton, north Dublin.

The men – one described as having a Dublin accent – may have had the house under surveillance for some time as they struck at 8.20am, just after the woman dropped her son at a DART station.

After tying the woman up, they continued to threaten her, before locating money hidden by a family member in the front garden of the home.

It is understood the amount of cash stolen was in the region of €50,000.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/raiders-steal-50000-hidden-in-front-garden-3304458.html

Are people so afraid of lodging money in there banks that there burying it in there garden ? If in this case that is so why did they not bury it in the back garden ? Something strange about this case and it needs a bit more digging into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

obviously they were trying to grow money trees, duh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

phasers wrote: »
    obviously they were trying to grow money trees, duh
    Obviously like

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This sounds like a job for the Garden Siochana

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

On an unrelated topic, I believe that people who evade tax have a tendency to hold a lot of cash.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that these people have been evading tax, I know nothing about them, and they could be legitimate people who really like storing dangerous amounts of cash at home. They could have a legitimate well run business, which is paying all of its tax, and they thought it was safer storing it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Wait if money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No one no matter how stupid keeps that kind of money buried in their front garden long term. I'd say the money wasn't there very long and the people that robbed her knew from family connections or the woman's son that it was there.

I don't really have any sympathy for her, it's a ridiculous place to hide money no matter how much it was. If she had that kind of money in her garden then she could well afford a well hidden and secure safe in her house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Excellent place to put - who would think to look there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

realies wrote: »

Are people so afraid of lodging money in there banks that there burying it in there garden ? If in this case that is so why did they not bury it in the back garden ? Something strange about this case and it needs a bit more DIGGING into.

I see what you did there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Are people so afraid of lodging money in there banks that there burying it in there garden ? If in this case that is so why did they not bury it in the back garden ? Something strange about this case and it needs a bit more digging into.

I'm not sure, maybe they would keep it in THEIR bank

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

antodeco wrote: »

Sure does, Special Branch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Wait if money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches ????
    If banks have branches and trees have leaves, does this mean than money=leaves?

I, not sure, maybe they would keep it in THEIR bank

WTF?

Kevwoody wrote: »
    WTF?

read what i quoted carefully, then it will make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Daylight shruberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

A MOTHER was tied up and threatened at knife point by thieves who made off with €50,000 hidden in the family's front garden.

The woman, who was in her 50s, was threatened by two men – one armed with a knife – after she returned to her home in Sutton, north Dublin.

The men – one described as having a Dublin accent – may have had the house under surveillance for some time as they struck at 8.20am, just after the woman dropped her son at a DART station.

After tying the woman up, they continued to threaten her, before locating money hidden by a family member in the front garden of the home.

It is understood the amount of cash stolen was in the region of €50,000.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/raiders-steal-50000-hidden-in-front-garden-3304458.html

I think people, especially older people are afraid of keeping money in the banks. With all the coverage of banks going bust and the possibility of the collapse of the euro etc, they've no faith in banks. I know of a woman whose life savings were stolen from her house. She'd mentioned in a very typical conversation about the banks, the economy etc. that she didn't trust the banks. She must have said too much in front of the wrong person and got robbed.

My own mother can be inclined that way as she is worried about having money in the banks. I hope she doesn't talk about it openly in public and when she takes money out I think she mostly deals in bankers drafts so its not so risky.

She is also trying to think of ways to impart money to us ( her kids) without it getting taxed.
    I guess if you have it buried and undeclared you can drip feed it to family members whenever you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

A floor safe that is impossible to break into is only €900. Why would she store it in her front garden.

read what i quoted carefully, then it will make sense

I did read it and I do understand it!

What I don't understand is grammar nazis like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They must have been lawn sharks.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I did read it and I do understand it!

What I don't understand is grammar nazis like you!

meh, why do i even bother being humorous when muppets like you take it serious, this is AH, lighten up or GTFO!

mod: banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Laneyh wrote: »
    I think people, especially older people are afraid of keeping money in the banks. With all the coverage of banks going bust and the possibility of the collapse of the euro etc, they've no faith in banks. I know of a woman whose life savings were stolen from her house. She'd mentioned in a very typical conversation about the banks, the economy etc. that she didn't trust the banks. She must have said too much in front of the wrong person and got robbed.

My own mother can be inclined that way as she is worried about having money in the banks. I hope she doesn't talk about it openly in public and when she takes money out I think she mostly deals in bankers drafts so its not so risky.

She is also trying to think of ways to impart money to us ( her kids) without it getting taxed.
    I guess if you have it buried and undeclared you can drip feed it to family members whenever you like
    generally speaking when you call someone your mother we can assume that you are one of her kids no need for this ->(her kids)
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Lawn enforcement is not what it used to be !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

meh, why do i even bother being humorous when muppets like you take it serious, this is AH, lighten up or GTFO!

You haven't got a funny bone in your body!!

Geddit??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

antodeco wrote: »

Special branch.

Edit: flippit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The stupidity! Just as bad as, say, leaving your wallet lying on a table in the library. Begging to be stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Reading between the lines we can guess that someone in the house deals in cash and this was known to the raiders. They could be a bookie for example or run some other business that handles large amounts of money. Because of this putting the money into the bank isn't always convenient.

The raiders knew there had to be cash on the premises so whether it be in the garden shed or under the mattress they knew it was there. It wouldn't matter if it was in a safe because a knife to the throat will scare most people into handing it over.

Actually there is a certain logic to hiding money short term in the garden. If a burgular breaks into the house he's hardly going to go digging in the flowerbeds too. So it's not actually stupid. The robbers clearly had no clue where the money was just that it was there somewhere.

What a lot of people do in that situation is to split the money into several locations and hand over the smallest amount.

Wow I hope comedy is not your day job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

How can someone have the smarts to accumulate 50 thousand in this climate and then be retarded enough to store it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

This was obviously seed money for a future business, but I doubt the revenue will leaf it alone now, they'll want to make sure the tax was pruned off beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

They must have been lawn sharks.

It's obvious here that somebody grassed her up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe it was a hedge fund.

Advertisement