Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child cut knee, gets €20,000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Rasheed wrote: »

So say I'm walking down the street, I slip on a banana skin you or your child dropped. I get a cut on my hand, had to get a tetanus, missed 2 days of work and 'emotional damage' of course. I want to sue, who's fault is it?
    The councils of course.. Why didn't the mother sue the people who broke the bottles in the playground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

This is a stupid case and imo shouldn't have been worth anything.

Playgrounds have already been shut in my area as they're not insured and this type of thing is exactly why.

I had a similar incident in my second year of secondary school. Slid on some grass in the school yard, there was something sharp, got a 2 inch scar on my leg. Had it bandaged up and nothing more was said of it.
    Maybe I'm just irritable but it seems that with parents being over protective or prudish with young children, then being negligent with teenagers, there's something wrong with modern parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If the mother knew there were gangs hanging out drinking in this park, why wouldnt she check the area her child was playing in?
    My mother wouldnt let me play in an area with broken glass, especially at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So in your opinion €20,000 of tax payers money was fair for this child?

If this is the only scar she gets on her knees as she gets older, she's damn lucky.

So what's the cut off when it comes to injuries? I've no idea how much it would cost to fully repair her injury so i can't say whether 20,000 is fair or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

So what's the cut off when it comes to injuries? I've no idea how much it would cost to fully repair her injury so i can't say whether 20,000 is fair or not
    You don't have to be a plastic surgeon to know that €20,000 is astronomical for an inch scar.

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    The councils of course.. Why didn't the mother sue the people who broke the bottles in the playground?

So I sue the council for somebody's littering and my own clumsiness?

This is so so wrong.

She got the cut stitched, it will heal fine. What more does she want?

In other European countries this would never get near court.

Anyway, theres no luck in money got like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Out of touch people make out of touch decisions with no consequences, sounds very familiar.

So I sue the council for somebody's littering and my own clumsiness?

Of course, they're the ones with the money and sure they should have someone to pick up the trash as soon as it's dropped or at least fence off the area with warning signs to protect you from yourself;):D

Of course, they're the ones with the money and sure they should have someone to pick up the trash as soon as it's dropped or at least fence off the area with warning signs to protect you from yourself;):D
    Of course!! Sure before my palms hit the pavement all I can hear is KA-CHING!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Allyall wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see how much of it goes on the Child, and how much of that is for Plastic Surgery.

Dutch Gold party time in the park :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

my youngest has a two/three inch scar across his shoulder, caused by the doctor who had to delivered him in a hurry. Should have really sued her for the damage she did rather than send her a bunch of flowers for saving his life!!! Accidents happen, as long as your little one is ok afterwards, thats the main thing.

Our local playground often has glass in it, you make the choice to leave the plaground or heavily supervise your children, it's not the corpo's fault some idiots broke glass in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

as someone who has a deep hypertrophic scar as long as the arm and both hypertrophic and normal scars all over the place,am not in the slightest bothered of them; an inch scar is nothing,she will not get bullied for that;it will make people interested in her.

there are so many times people have tried to sue on behalf, due to major abuse,theft, and negligence in residential care as well as the past in school but have refused to be part of it, am fed up of people assuming money solves problems,it doesnt.

the most they shoud have done in this case was pay her medical fee,it will probably be something to show off for the kid when she is older,kids love scars as it makes them look 'hard',even girls do it.
    this mother needs to teach her kid responsibility by showing that they need to learn from problems; not profit.
    itll be awful for future kids if there are no playgrounds because of actual and risk of sueing.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

biggest scar she will have is that stupid name her mother gave her

You don't have to be a plastic surgeon to know that €20,000 is astronomical for an inch scar.

Tell me how much it would cost then

Ireland
    Akina laser and beauty clinic, dub
    Scar Removal
    From
    €80
    €20,000 would get 250 sessions

the Laser and skin clinic Dublin
    Scar Removal
    From
    €200

€20,000 would get 100 sessions

Ok it 'might' take a few sessions or whatever the call it, but there would want to be a load of them to spend 20,000

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know some will argue that there's always blame on someone's part in cases like this.

But I would claim that although this may be true, it might be hard to prove.

Example: Technically the people to blame in this case are not the local council, but the drinkers who smashed bottles. OK the council should ensure that the park is maintained, but you have to be realistic and say that councils can't employ people to stand around in local amenities and ensure they are clean, safe and suitable for use, 24/7/365. Even if they got an inspection twice a day, then a bottle could be broken after they finish the 2nd inspection, and so they cannot possibly be blamed,but instead the bottle breaker should be blamed.

Now what if you can't find those responsible for breaking the bottles? Well, perhaps in this case you don't get any money? Going back and blaming the council on a technicality is a bit harsh imho. If we continue to take this to the nth degree then where does it stop?

Since the scar is most likely an uncomplicated scar, a minimum of non-invasive procedures such as laser should suffice and Boombastic has kindly supplied the figures.

It is probably a shallow laceration as there was no mention of a neurologist needed so no nerve involvement. Also there was no deep tissue damage as that would most likely require rehabilitative physio of some kind.

Therefore, assuming the child had no pre-existing health problems that would affect wound healing, the scar will most likely need laser or perhaps dermo-abrasion to fade this scar.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

park it happened in is rough enough,their from the area,the mother would have known it was possible to find glass. shes as much to blame for not checking area was safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I genuinely don't understand why people (incl some posters in this thread) think that being injured automatically equals deserving money. I'm not having a go at people, by the way, I'm just curious as to why people think that.

Is the whole point of compensation not just to pay for an expenses you should never have had to pay because they arose from an accident that you didn't cause? For example, if a rail in a shop fell on you and you had to go to hospital, the compensation would be to pay your medical bills and/or cover any lost earnings because you couldn't work with a broken leg or something. Or if someone became wheelchair-bound because of an accident or a medical error, they would get compensated so they could pay for any medical bills (incl estimated future ones) as well as the renovation of their home to allow for the wheelchair and potentially lost earnings if they couldn't work anymore.

That's what I understood compensation to be, anyway. Reimbursement for expenses that you have to pay because of an accident that someone else caused (either directly or by negligeance). But somewhere along the way that seems to have morphed into "She got injured, so she deserves a few grand". For what?! That's just putting a monetary value on pain and suffering too, which I don't think is a good idea.

Yes, it's terrible that someone had an accident (please don't think I don't feel for people who get bad injuries or that nothing has ever happened to me or my loved ones). But apart from covering costs, why do we assume that it's up to the courts and the councils to change their luck in life? Some people said "It's great for the girl, with €20000 when she turns 18, she'll be set up for college" - but why on earth do we think she deserves a free college education simply because she was (not seriously) injured when she was 2? Many people have bad luck or horrible experiences early in life, but they can't all get a nice big sum of money to make up for it.

And the worst bit about this particular case is that the council now have €20000 less to spend on amenities like this and the cleaning that was needed to prevent this sort of accident. If this sets a precedent (and there were three compensation stories in today's paper alone), we're going to see playgrounds and parks and other public facilities closed down, because it will become too much of a financial risk to keep them open - what if more people sued for similar things?

(Sorry about the Wall of Text. TL;DR: it's not logical to expect a big sum of money just because you got injured, unless it's to cover medical bills)

• Advertisement

Since the scar is most likely an uncomplicated scar, a minimum of non-invasive procedures such as laser should suffice and Boombastic has kindly supplied the figures.

It is probably a shallow laceration as there was no mention of a neurologist needed so no nerve involvement. Also there was no deep tissue damage as that would most likely require rehabilitative physio of some kind.

Therefore, assuming the child had no pre-existing health problems that would affect wound healing, the scar will most likely need laser or perhaps dermo-abrasion to fade this scar.

Or more than likely it will just fade naturally over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Why is it that this type of nonsense happens in Ireland? I mean, write a law which says you use the park at your own risk.

Or more than likely it will just fade naturally over time

Exactly.

If this inch scar is going to be the only thing that this girl will be 'conscious' about when she's older, she'll have a rather uncomplicated life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

This is why we can't have nice things!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I know some will argue that there's always blame on someone's part in cases like this.

Yes, on the part of the parent who should have been watching out for the two year old.

A toddler who injured his hand on an airport baggage conveyor belt had a settlement of €15,000 approved. He had climbed on the baggage belt and suffered the injury when his arm became trapped.

In other countries, the parent or whoever was suppposed to be watching the two year old would be held responsible.

Is this why Irish and British kids are so indisciplined and unruly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

If someone crashed into your car would you want the car to be replaced with pretty much the same car as before the crash?

If someone damaged by body i'd want it back to as near perfect as it was before.

I was in a crash and got a few small scars, I wasn't interested in compensation, I was just grateful my injuries were only superficial and to me it would be like tempting fate to go after money for injuries which didn't really affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ok, the glass shouldn't have been there but it was, the mother should have been more vigilant to the surroundings but ffs €20,000 for cutting your knee:rolleyes:

If I have a pound for every scar I got as a child, I'd be rich, never mind €20,000. My left knee is probably worth close to a quarter of a million, but back in my day that's what happened and you just got on with it.

Ireland has become a sue culture - How many playgrounds would that €20,00 have cleaned and maintained?

Link

A TWO-YEAR-OLD girl who fell on glass in a park and cut her knee has received a €20,000 settlement from a local authority.
    Totally agree,compo culture gone crazy.Sad that the Local Authority's legal eagles agreed to settle for this amount.Suppose they will get their cut out of our near bankrupt Local Authorities.Too easy a cop out for the judge to approve this settlement.No wonder insurance premia of all sorts are so high,could well be the death knell for public parks/playgrounds.:mad:

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree,compo culture gone crazy.Sad that the Local Authority's legal eagles agreed to settle for this amount.Suppose they will get their cut out of our near bankrupt Local Authorities.Too easy a cop out for the judge to approve this settlement.No wonder insurance premia of all sorts are so high,could well be the death knell for public parks/playgrounds.:mad:
    See this is it. €20,000 could do so much around that locality. That would pay for a part time council worker for the upkeep of said play ground.

I'd actually love to sit down with that mother and see how she can justify going after the council in the first place and then take €20,000 for future 'plastic surgery' on an inch long scar for her unfortunately named child.

• Advertisement

Tayla wrote: »
    I was in a crash and got a few small scars, I wasn't interested in compensation, I was just grateful my injuries were only superficial

That's you though
    Tayla wrote: »
    and to me it would be like tempting fate to go after money for injuries which didn't really affect me.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement