Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child cut knee, gets €20,000

Options
  • 13-11-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

Ok, the glass shouldn't have been there but it was, the mother should have been more vigilant to the surroundings but ffs €20,000 for cutting your knee:rolleyes:

If I have a pound for every scar I got as a child, I'd be rich, never mind €20,000. My left knee is probably worth close to a quarter of a million, but back in my day that's what happened and you just got on with it.

Ireland has become a sue culture - How many playgrounds would that €20,00 have cleaned and maintained?

Link

A TWO-YEAR-OLD girl who fell on glass in a park and cut her knee has received a €20,000 settlement from a local authority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

I'd be worried that too many of these payments and playgrounds/parks would be closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It'd be interesting to see how much of it goes on the Child, and how much of that is for Plastic Surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Over 18 months to get a case to court? :confused:

System is banjaxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Judges fault for awarding her the money for a ridiculous claim.

Inch long scar may need plastic surgery in later life

Fcuk me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Casillas wrote: »
    I'd be worried that too many of these payments and playgrounds/parks would be closed off.

That's what will happen, when you see cases like this.

From the article
    Ms McAuley said local residents were aware of the park being used for drinks parties at weekends.

I wonder what action these residents took in relation to preventing this anti social behavior? Writing to local representatives, guards...it was probably many of their own children drinking there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Casillas wrote: »

I think we should close them off now. All closed in the name of Theresa Robinson.

No more of that dangerous 'supervised fun by a responsible adult' stuff.

The important thing here is the child suffered...........oh yeah and Theresa Robinson got herself 20,000.

ffs where was she? Bet shes all eyes on childrens allowance day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

It's no wonder we're in the state we're in when this kind of b******t goes on. What a load of cobblers.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Rigol wrote: »
    I think we should close them off now. All closed in the name of Theresa Robinson.

No more of that dangerous 'supervised fun by a responsible adult' stuff.

The important thing here is the child suffered...........oh yeah and Theresa Robinson got herself 20,000.

ffs where was she? Bet shes all eyes on childrens allowance day.

Out thinking up more ridiculus names for her children

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Maybe the child had high hopes to become a professional knee model when she's older...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Payouts like this only incentivise making claims, which should absolutely not be the case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Allyall wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see how much of it goes on the Child, and how much of that is for Plastic Surgery.

Money is held by court till 18th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,103 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May need surgery in the future? Is this serious? For an inch long scar on your knee!

Its hardly as if the wain will have beauty issues with a scar on her knee. I could see through it if it was on her chin or cheek.

The worlds gone mad I tells ye. Children not allowed to run while playing at school, and things like this will cause local councils to stop providing parks in the future if they are going to gets sued by savvy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Rasheed wrote: »
    Judges fault for awarding her the money for a ridiculous claim.

Inch long scar may need plastic surgery in later life

Fcuk me.

If someone crashed into your car would you want the car to be replaced with pretty much the same car as before the crash?

If someone damaged by body i'd want it back to as near perfect as it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A disgusting case, what a moneygrabbing ho.
    Ms McAuley said she had to be rushed to Crumlin Children’s Hospital where she was immediately taken to theatre to have the wound cleaned and stitched under general anesthesia.
    FFS, a couple of stitches! Rushed to the hospital with a cut knee! gowayourratha!

IIRC if the money awarded is over a certain amount it goes into trust for the child rather than to the parents, so little whatever her ridiculous name is will have a nice few quid when she turns 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The couple aren't even married. How very common of them... *cradles brandy glass full of milk*

That child should be strung up for being such a burden on us all. If it wasn't for the likes of her we'd be the most prosperous nation on Earth..

I have many other rabble rousing opinions too which I hope to share some day

An Inch Long Scar.

The Width of My Thumb :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Boombastic wrote: »
    Ok, the glass shouldn't have been there but it was, the mother should have been more vigilant to the surroundings but ffs €20,000 for cutting your knee:rolleyes:

If I have a pound for every scar I got as a child, I'd be rich, never mind €20,000. My left knee is probably worth close to a quarter of a million, but back in my day that's what happened and you just got on with it.

Ireland has become a sue culture - How many playgrounds would that €20,00 have cleaned and maintained?

Link

A TWO-YEAR-OLD girl who fell on glass in a park and cut her knee has received a €20,000 settlement from a local authority.

We live in a society that wants to imitate America year by year. Pretty soon we'll have a Judge pat Kenny show to counter Judge Judy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Allyall wrote: »
    An Inch Long Scar.

The Width of My Thumb :mad:

Just in case anyone didn't know what an inch was...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Over 18 months to get a case to court? :confused:

System is banjaxed

That's a quick turnaround for Personal Injury cases

Where a defendant decides to play games it could be two or more years - don't think there is a limit tbh

But ya system is banjaxed - 20,000 for a scar and people with serious injuries get fuk all

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

/checks body

Im gonna be a millionaire!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

If someone crashed into your car would you want the car to be replaced with pretty much the same car as before the crash?

If someone damaged by body i'd want it back to as near perfect as it was before.

If someone was about to crash their car into me I'd want my mam to do her job and make sure they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What was a broken beer bottle doing next to the toddler swings in a playground ffs?

And what in god's name was on the shards of glass? You wouldn't know how long it was there. They probably had to give the child a tetanus shot at the very least, and depending on the area would be worried about HIV, Hepatitus, and a bucket load of other nasties. Cleaning that wound would have been a disaster.

Good lesson for the council, they need to make an effort keep the cretins who do this away from childrens play areas.

Just in case anyone didn't know what an inch was...

When did you see my thumb? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

pwurple wrote: »
    What was a broken beer bottle doing next to the toddler swings in a playground ffs?

And what in god's name was on the shards of glass? You wouldn't know how long it was there. They probably had to give the child a tetanus shot at the very least, and depending on the area would be worried about HIV, Hepatitus, and a bucket load of other nasties. Cleaning that wound would have been a disaster.

Good lesson for the council, they need to make an effort keep the cretins who do this away from childrens play areas.

Bitta TCP, be grand.

How do you actually pronounce the girl's name? Is it as Gaeilge or something? Or it it like Chloe with an r?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Of course the council don't give a fup-they'll just lash up the rates again to pay off these entitled little knackers.

latenia wrote: »
    Of course the council don't give a fup-they'll just lash up the rates again to pay off these entitled little knackers.
    Your household charge at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

phasers wrote: »
    FFS, a couple of stitches! Rushed to the hospital with a cut knee! gowayourratha!

So, by your quote the cut was bad enough that the hospital put her under a general anaesthetic to deal with it, yet you somehow manage to deride her parents for rushing her to hospital in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A complete disgrace. I'm fuming. I've sued the councils loads of times and never got anywhere near 20k in one payout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

phasers wrote: »
    How do you actually pronounce the girl's name? Is it as Gaeilge or something? Or it it like Chloe with an r?

Translates as 'heart' in Irish, pretentious makey-uppy name.

Sum awarded is out of all proportion to injury caused, another example of our dumb-ass judiciary.

Advertisement