Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the budget give us what we deserve?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

While mass demonstrations and work stoppages are carried out throughout Europe today, we the good old obedient Irish, will just carry on as we are heading off into work. Sure we'll all have a moan about rising taxes, social welfare cuts blah blah blah, but when it comes to it we'll just accept the budget in January and move on.

I know there's something planned for Nov 24th, but surely coordinating with the rest of Europe would be a more powerful statement. And I bet the march on the 24th barley gets 5,000 people.

Are the cuts not hurting people as bad as it's being made out? Surely if people were actually on the bread line, there'd be enough outrage to lead to actual genuine protests?

When the government knows there's no repercussions from a harsh budget, they're not going to hold back!

I reckon the peoples lack of action, means we can't really complain about what the government do in December!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I agree and I pat your back

Would you like anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Protesting will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The ordinary P.A.Y.E worker will get hairy aped again, whilst the ''minority groups'' will be left alone. So in answer to your question yes we will get what we deserve because we sit back and take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Valetta wrote: »

Said one concentration camp inmate to the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Isn't that what yer man in Syria keeps saying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Are the cuts not hurting people as bad as it's being made out? Surely if people were actually on the bread line, there'd be enough outrage to lead to actual genuine protests?

You answered your own question there largely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭BensonSlide

maddragon wrote: »
    Said one concentration camp inmate to the other...

Are you comparing the struggles of the inmates of a concentration camp to our present economic challenges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Apathy is the biggest problem in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

"Deserve" is a concept created by humans. It doesn't have a lot of real-world value.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're right OP, we should be Greece. That's really worked for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Not true. When the pensioners took to the streets following budget cuts that affected them the government performed a swift volte face.

The people have power. We just don't use it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

DeVore wrote: »
    You're right OP, we should be Greece. That's really worked for them.

Quiet Capitalist.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

While mass demonstrations and work stoppages are carried out throughout Europe today, we the good old obedient Irish, will just carry on as we are heading off into work. Sure we'll all have a moan about rising taxes, social welfare cuts blah blah blah, but when it comes to it we'll just accept the budget in January and move on.

I know there's something planned for Nov 24th, but surely coordinating with the rest of Europe would be a more powerful statement. And I bet the march on the 24th barley gets 5,000 people.

When the government knows there's no repercussions from a harsh budget, they're not going to hold back!

I reckon the peoples lack of action, means we can't really complain about what the government do in December!

Do you have any alternatives to reduce our fiscal deficit?

Protesters without alternatives really p1ss me off. It's like listening to a baby that won't stop crying or an incessant house alarm. It wears you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's a budget Ireland deserves, but not the one we need right now.....

Wait..........sugar tax? Fack off, ya kant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Not true. When the pensioners took to the streets following budget cuts that affected them the government performed a swift volte face.

And they rolled back on some of the home help cuts for the disabled not long ago after a very-small scale protest. The last thing this government wants is visible demonstration on the streets. It would burst the whole farcical balloon that Enda has created with his European overlords.

Are you comparing the struggles of the inmates of a concentration camp to our present economic challenges?

No, I'm saying that protesting is an extremely important part of democracy because if things keep sliding here the way they are now, we'll all be back in mudhuts with outside toilets in 20 years. Of course the government will keep riding us like Shergar until we the people call a halt and force them to find another way.

A good move which would convince me that the austerity is working would be if the people that are responsible for destroying our country were held to account.
    Be it long jail time for those that acted criminally and loss of future earnings for those that were negligent in their roles.

I have paid for their errors with the loss of my livelihood.

Do you have any alternatives to reduce our fiscal deficit?

Protesters without alternatives really p1ss me off. It's like listening to a baby that won't stop crying or an incessant house alarm. It wears you down.

It is the job of the government to find an alternative otherwise they can fuxk off and I'll pay my taxes directly to Berlin and cut out the middleman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭BensonSlide

It would burst the whole farcical balloon that Enda has created with his European overlords.

Impressive use of hyperbole.

How do you suggest we plug a €12 billion hole between what we pay out compared to what we take in? How will large scale protest and demonstration make this problem go away?

How can any country prosper or grow when the welfare bill is 75% of the tax take. We need as a country to get the SW bill under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And then what? What the **** are we supposed? Money is draining out of the bucket. Yes, plugging the hole will fix it, but in the mean time, we have to keep pouring money in to stop the bucket emptying completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm only worried that the budget won't be harsh enough.

It would be good for people to see what real hardship is.

And then what? What the **** are we supposed? Money is draining out of the bucket. Yes, plugging the hole will fix it, but in the mean time, we have to keep pouring money in to stop the bucket emptying completely.

Well for a start how about asking financial institutions to make a contribution. How about the government sticking to self imposed pay caps, instead of ministers like Leo Varadkar seeking a €400,000 salary for the new Dublin Airport Authority boss despite a €250,000 pay cap. How about we start there?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224179/Varadkar-tried-break-pay-cap-airport-boss-new-DAA-boss-accepted-job-Howlin-blocked-giant-salary.html

Where To wrote: »

Why would it be good for people to see real hardship as you put.

Where To wrote: »

When you say it would be good for "people" to experience real hardship do you include yourself or just lesser "people"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I love this delusion that our austerity is a free policy choice, as if we could spend way more and tax less if we so choose.

Presumably the people protesting austerity in this country also harangue tramps about their poor standard of clothing, hygiene and choice of dwelling, pointing out that Brown Thomas and the Shelbourne Hotel are only 5 minutes walk away.

I love this delusion that our austerity is a free policy choice, as if we could spend way more and tax less if we so choose.

Presumably the people protesting austerity in this country also harangue tramps about their poor standard of clothing, hygiene and choice of dwelling, pointing out that Brown Thomas and the Shelbourne Hotel are only 5 minutes walk away.

Or we could advise said begger to stop handing over wads of his cash to a bust bank and buy himself a coat.

And they rolled back on some of the home help cuts for the disabled not long ago after a very-small scale protest. The last thing this government wants is visible demonstration on the streets. It would burst the whole farcical balloon that Enda has created with his European overlords.
    So wealthy pensioners kept their pensions, meaning deeper cuts had to made to other services. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Spiritual wrote: »
    Apathy is the biggest problem in Ireland.

Meh...

• Advertisement

Or we could advise said begger to stop handing over wads of his cash to a bust bank and buy himself a coat.
    So you are persisting with the fiction that the bank bailouts are the problem, rather than the current account deficit?

You are either being dishonest or are very badly informed.

Advertisement