Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child cut knee, gets €20,000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

phasers wrote: »
    How do you actually pronounce the girl's name? Is it as Gaeilge or something? Or it it like Chloe with an r?

rhymes with tree:D Irish for heart :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Zab wrote: »
    So, by your quote the cut was bad enough that the hospital put her under a general anaesthetic to deal with it, yet you somehow manage to deride her parents for rushing her to hospital in the first place?
    It was a cut.
    A complete disgrace. I'm fuming. I've sued the councils loads of times and never got anywhere near 20k in one payout.
    You need to involve a child somehow. Get a young cousin to trip over a pebble or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

pwurple wrote: »
    What was a broken beer bottle doing next to the toddler swings in a playground ffs?

And what in god's name was on the shards of glass? You wouldn't know how long it was there. They probably had to give the child a tetanus shot at the very least, and depending on the area would be worried about HIV, Hepatitus, and a bucket load of other nasties. Cleaning that wound would have been a disaster.

Good lesson for the council, they need to make an effort keep the cretins who do this away from childrens play areas.

Thats what the mother was supposed to be there for.......to supervise the child so things like that don't happen. Nobody forced the mother to bring the child to the playground.
    I think we need to just make everything in this country like the start of southpark ... this play area, footpath, unguared electrical socket, piece of string, plastic bag..... is not suitable for anyone and should not be used at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,245 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lets be honest, this wain probably wasn't rushed to theatre to be stitched up. The triage nurse could put in a few stitches.

Couldn't imagine a hospital getting a theatre prep'd and staffed to put a few stitches in an inch long scar on a knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fetch me a doctor!!

But first fetch me a solicitor!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My eldest tripped as a kid in Tesco, over a trailing lead a workman was using and burst his head off a display counter. He has an Inch long scar on his forehead now. Did we sue? No. Cos stuff happens and chicks dig scars.. or so he says, now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Over 18 months to get a case to court? :confused:

System is banjaxed

That's quick.

My sister had a car accident where Americans were driving on the wrong side of the road and drive right into her. Took 4 years from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Pottler wrote: »
    My eldest tripped as a kid in Tesco, over a trailing lead a workman was using and burst his head off a display counter. He has an Inch long scar on his forehead now. Did we sue? No. Cos stuff happens and chicks dig scars.. or so he says, now.

Now THIS is something you should have DEFINITELY sued over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

It was a cut.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Lets be honest, this wain probably wasn't rushed to theatre to be stitched up. The triage nurse could put in a few stitches.

Couldn't imagine a hospital getting a theatre prep'd and staffed to put a few stitches in an inch long scar on a knee.

While I do find the €20,000 settlement questionable, are you two suggesting the Independent is lying about the general anaesthetic or do you simply not know what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This makes me so angry I'm going to sing.:mad:

I can't fight this feeling anymore
    I've forgotten what I started fighting for
    It's time to bring this ship into the shore
    And throw away the oars forever.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    This makes me so angry I'm going to sing.:mad:

I can't fight this feeling anymore
    I've forgotten what I started fighting for
    It's time to bring this ship into the shore
    And throw away the oars forever.

Wow. Your my Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Allyall wrote: »
    An Inch Long Scar.

The Width of My Thumb :mad:
    Or about three times the width of a two year old's thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Zab wrote: »
    While I do find the €20,000 settlement questionable, are you two suggesting the Independent is lying about the general anaesthetic or do you simply not know what it is?
    I know exactly what general anaesthetic is, what is your point? The kid had a cut on her knee and needed a few stitches, It's happened to millions of children and it will keep happening until the end of time. I bet that the parents kicked up a fuss and that's why she got the anaesthetic, it looks better on a court report.

IT WAS A CUT. Big fcuking deal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Translates as 'heart' in Irish, pretentious makey-uppy name.

Sum awarded is out of all proportion to injury caused, another example of our dumb-ass judiciary.
    Actually, the sum is very much within the range given in the PIAB Book of Quantum. PIAB as a creation for the insurance industry being known for their interest in keeping awards low.

The Book of Quantum is very much adhered to by judges these days. If you have issue with it's use, the windmills you might want to tilt at are the TDs who created PIAB and the insurance interests it represents.

Wow. Your my Hero.
    I don't know where I'm going
    Only God knows where I been
    I'm a devil on the run
    A six gun lover
    A candle in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

If someone crashed into your car would you want the car to be replaced with pretty much the same car as before the crash?

If someone damaged by body i'd want it back to as near perfect as it was before.

Ah Jasus, 20 grand for an inch scar!

Bottle of Bio oil is a tenner in Boots, deadly for scars.

I don't know where I'm going
    Only God knows where I been
    I'm a devil on the run
    A six gun lover
    A candle in the wind.

Ah here now ripping off Elton John is no way to start a career. :mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Allyall wrote: »
    An Inch Long Scar.

The Width of My Thumb :mad:

Fat thumb you got there...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pwurple wrote: »
    Good lesson for the council, they need to make an effort keep the cretins who do this away from childrens play areas.

Yeah, the rich bastards should have 24 hour security on all playgrounds and each one should be meticulously combed at the start of each day to check for anything that might be dropped.

A 20 man team for each playground should do it and what a great use of public money it would be .

Ah here now ripping off Elton John is no way to start a career. :mad::pac:
    Don't go breaking my heart :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I couldn't if I tried.

Yeah, the rich bastards should have 24 hour security on all playgrounds and each one should be meticulously combed at the start of each day to check for anything that might be dropped.

A 20 man team for each playground should do it and what a great use of public money it would be .

We should pay the council workers double time to come on a Sunday and clean it
    I couldn't if I tried.
    PFO and get a room and stop loving up in this thread.....or I'll sue the both of ye:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Why would you need general anastetic for a few stitches on your knee? There's people dying on trolleys in corridors and this is what the doctors are doing?
    My brother got his forehead stitched up when he was young and he managed to survive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I know exactly what general anaesthetic is, what is your point? The kid had a cut on her knee and needed a few stitches, It's happened to millions of children and it will keep happening until the end of time. I bet that the parents kicked up a fuss and that's why she got the anaesthetic, it looks better on a court report.

IT WAS A CUT. Big fcuking deal.

Yeah. They put her under a general anaesthetic because her parents "kicked up a fuss". You're just a regular Hercule Poirot, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

rebel89 wrote: »
    Why would you need general anastetic for a few stitches on your knee? There's people dying on trolleys in corridors and this is what the doctors are doing?
    My brother got his forehead stitched up when he was young and he managed to survive...

I can't even imagine how much € he could get now if it happen on the public ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Didn't have playgrounds in my day. Children were sent to play in the field. Of course in those days children wouldn't have to be sent, they would already be there.

Yah, lot of history in that there field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Rasheed wrote: »
    Judges fault for awarding her the money for a ridiculous claim.

Inch long scar may need plastic surgery in later life

Fcuk me.

The judge did not decide on the award, it was a settlement agreed between the parties. A judge only has two options in an infant settlement accept it or reject it if the judge believes its too little but he can do nothing if he believes its too much.

Boombastic wrote: »
    We should pay the council workers double time to come on a Sunday and clean it

PFO and get a room and stop loving up in this thread.....or I'll sue the both of ye:mad:
    Whoaaaa here she comes
    Watch out boys she'll chew you up

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sorry if this has been mentioned but why is your knee worth close to a quarter of a million?

• Advertisement

poisonated wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been mentioned but why is your knee worth close to a quarter of a million?

I model it

Advertisement