Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrow [The CW] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts on Sky 1 on Monday 22nd of October 2012 at 8pm

Kicks off tonight!....100% gonna watch it, i expect good stuff...hopefully gritty/dark. I predict a 1.4 demo and 3.2 million!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm looking forward to this as well, the promos for it has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What's the consensus on this one? I was considering giving it a view but the feedback from the pilot doesn't sound so positive. The impressions that I've picked up is that the characters are too perfect, poor acting except for the lead, cheesy dialogue, too soap operary, feels rushed but the action is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Most watched CW show in 3 years.... It'll be interesting to see if they hold the numbers....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I liked it, I was hoping for a Smallville replacement and I think that's what we've got except it's in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not too bad... not perfect but definitely a notch above the majority of what I've seen from The CW (largely dreck).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not a bad first episode. Already has more promise than The Cape

titan18 wrote: »
    Not a bad first episode. Already has more promise than The Cape

To be fair the entire 42 minutes could be nothing but a close up of a bottle of water and show more promise than The Cape. Don't think any 42 minutes of television has been as underwhelming as the pilot for the Cape.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    What's the consensus on this one? I was considering giving it a view but the feedback from the pilot doesn't sound so positive. The impressions that I've picked up is that the characters are too perfect, poor acting except for the lead, cheesy dialogue, too soap operary, feels rushed but the action is good.

Disagree....i thought the acting was far above your average CW show + above average overall. You got some fine actors in there notably Colin salmon and the guy who played Hunt + the detective a dad to Laurel and sarah.

The end...... :eek: mommy was behind it!, it did remind me somewhat of The Dark Knight mixed with a bit of Bourne. They need to flesh out Quinn's backstory on the island through flashbacks though.

Katie Cassidy....stunning to lock at, as a love interest and damsel in distress she'll do just fine... :)

Oliver's buddy had a couple of good one liners, high production values...more stunt/practical effects then CGIfest....though that boat looked a bit....un, Ringer.....:D

3.5/5....the pilot was solid, will see how future eps. go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Disagree....i thought the acting was far above your average CW show + above average overall. You got some fine actors in there notably Colin salmon and the guy who played Hunt + the detective a dad to Laurel and sarah.

The end...... :eek: mommy was behind it!, it did remind me somewhat of The Dark Knight mixed with a bit of Bourne. They need to flesh out Quinn's backstory on the island through flashbacks though.

Katie Cassidy....stunning to lock at, as a love interest and damsel in distress she'll do just fine... :)

Oliver's buddy had a couple of good one liners, high production values...more stunt/practical effects then CGIfest....though that boat looked a bit....un, Ringer.....:D

3.5/5....the pilot was solid, will see how future eps. go.

Nice one, I'll give this a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭squonk

Very impressed with this myself. I thought the production value was far higher than anything I'd seen on a CW show. Nikita is the only other CW offering I'm into and it looked way better produced than Nikita.

I liked the cast overall. Colin Salmon is great, as is the lead and Oliver's mother. I wouldn't judge too hastily based on a pilot anyway as the cast needs to bed in but overall they were a much more together and promising bunch than on some pilots.

I didn't think of the Bourne aspect but I can see it there. I texted my brother to give him the heads up and described it as Batman meets Robin Hood with a touch of Revenge thrown in for good measure. Really it's the pilot I've been most excited about while watching this year. There's so much potential. If anything I felt the pilot was a bit rushed. Having seen Batman, the pilot story would have made a movie in itself. I'm really looking forward to next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

5/10

The Pilot felt all a bit rushed. Would have prefered the first one or two episodes focusing solely on his survivial, training, etc on the island.

Presumably now, we'll be in for a few of flashback episodes to the island over the course of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Liked it more than I thought I would.
    Oliver has been well cast, pulls off the playboy scenes and action scenes with a nice bit of style.
    Also like the ruthlessness (people actually die!), something that was missing from Smallville (which I see as Arrow's spiritual predecessor).

I'm already confident I'll tire of the conspiracy elements though (his mother etc), she's already made it clear that rather than go after him directly, she'll attack people he cares about etc, and if she already went for her son, it's safe to say her daughter will be used as leverage on numerous occasions.

If the well produced action scenes and good character development outweigh the overly familiar plot devices (this is just a guess, I will happily be proven wrong) then I'll be sure to tune in to this weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i like the character of green arrow but i always thought his costume sucks, i mean he got so close to hunt that hunt should have recognized him, but well move on

a solid pilot, it would have been a bit better to make it a 2 episode pilot, but it paced itself well, and the background story will be stretched out over the season, getting massive revenge vibes off this, but with much more action,

so far i like nearly all the characters, their all played well, and amell seems perfect in the lead,

his buddy i dont like, he clearly knows something, but whether hes good or bad i cant really tell yet, he was awake when oliver did his thing, so he must have seen, and it seems odd that hes still partying away 5 years later, i think its more a show than anything else,

and it will be interesting to see if his mother is on the list his father gave him, or is it that her new husband got her into it,

also it did seem odd the way the ship sank, it looked like it snapped in half rather that flipped, which seemed kind of odd, even in a storm, im no expert but i wonder was it sank on purpose,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm surprised to say that I enjoyed that. But Oliver will have to obscure his face a bit more in the future. :D In terms of all the characters seeming perfect, t'is just the pilot so I suspect they will begin to seem more human over the course of the next few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Surprisingly enjoyable. It's really like "Revenge", but with less soap and more arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Mr E wrote: »
    Surprisingly enjoyable. It's really like "Revenge", but with less soap and more arrows.

Haha, I had exactly the same thought watching it. Oh and Emily Thorne never flexed her abs that much - not yet anyway. Presumably Colin Salmon isn't full time given his commitment to Strictly Come Dancing at present (and guest star billing) - I was surprised when it turned out not to be him in the last scene.

I enjoyed the references to pop culture of the last 5 years - Lost ending, Twilight. If it's starting on Sky next week, I'll stick it on the +.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm surprised to say that I enjoyed that. But Oliver will have to obscure his face a bit more in the future. :D In terms of all the characters seeming perfect, t'is just the pilot so I suspect they will begin to seem more human over the course of the next few episodes.

A pair of specs might do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Thought it was so cheesy. I could see the 'mother twist' coming a mile off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A pair of specs might do the trick.

I'm not sure if they intentionally avoided giving him glasses so as to distance themselves from Smallville.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Watched the pilot last night after hearing good things about it. Thought it was absolutely crap, won't be watching it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thought this was absolute crap of the highest order, and I'm pretty open to bad mediums of entertainment.

So brutally cliched, predictable, cheesy, far fetched, and a host of other issues that I was just patiently waiting for it to end.

Total drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked the pilot so will keep watching.
    Was a bit distracting that every time it showed Ollie, all I could think was "Hey, it's Garret Dillahunt"

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I liked the pilot so will keep watching.
    Was a bit distracting that every time it showed Ollie, all I could think was "Hey, it's Garret Dillahunt"

yeah liked it also...but i do understand the negative comments above. it's a show you either get and like or a show you think is dire. the negatives plot points are somewhat valid but i stress....it *is* just a pilot.

the real test is tonight with china white :)

Really excellent second episode, they introduced an overall season arc with mommy Queen working for a big bad + Oliver either being hunted on the island or being trained by island Green arrow.

So a couple of new interesting arcs there, seems like we'll get alot of island flashbacks, training etc. The boat was sabotaged, very decent stunt/fight scenes again this week.

The writing and pacing was tight, i think Oliver's bodyguard will become his sidekick or confidente, patch him up when he gets hurt...buy him tech etc, course the Laurel/Oliver romance will evolve slowly.

like Batman/Superman etc. i'll bet Laurel will fall in love with Arrow and Oliver etc.
    But overall that was an impressive second ep. hoping the quality continues, oh and the battle with China at the docks?....it was the same round silo seen in Falling Skies!, with the big ass weapon pointing to the sky....season 2 finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,886 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is my new favourite show. They really done a good job so far, hopefully they keep it up.

Headshot wrote: »
    This is my new favourite show. They really done a good job so far, hopefully they keep it up.

+ it held up awesomely in the ratings for the second ep.! :D

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/18/wednesday-final-ratings-modern-family-survivor-animal-practice-adjusted-up-csi-adjusted-down-plus-unscrambled-fox-ratings/153617/

• Advertisement

After seeing this sizzle reel of [WARNING!...footage of upcoming/not broadcast future episodes!! ] i am well hooked!

The show looks class!, it's totally like the Batman reboots....even more evident when you watch the promo, tweaking and reinventing the comic book stuff in the more grounded/reality setting.

Advertisement