Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

we have a tough year ahead of us next year lads...the league has become like the championship no one wants to lose games any more,

our first game against Clare,at home. i can see Davy relishing this one.

and then we have a tough championship, i personally think the qualifiers would be our best route try to get as many games under our belt, forget about a Munster title were still in a rebuilding process, thats just my thoughts on it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

blue note wrote: »
    I have looked through the thread but couldn't find an answer. What is this 3-3-1 that everyone is talking about?

De La Salle have set an aim for themselves to win the County (3rd County title), The Munster (3rd) and the all-ireland (their 1st, hence 3-3-1). Fair enough I guess.

The 3-3-1, however, is a reference to the fact that they've gone and got jackets or hoodies or something with those numbers on them. An ill-advised move in my opinion.

De La Salle have set an aim for themselves to win the County (3rd County title), The Munster (3rd) and the all-ireland (their 1st, hence 3-3-1). Fair enough I guess.

The 3-3-1, however, is a reference to the fact that they've gone and got jackets or hoodies or something with those numbers on them. An ill-advised move in my opinion.

lets hope it doesn't blow up in their face,or they'll end up being the laughing stock of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Ken McGrath has stood down as a selector with the Waterford Senior Hurling team. Its reported that he has a new job and would find it hard to combine both going into 2013.

His replacement will have to come from the West of the County as Sean Cullinane is already a selector and come from the City area.

The last part above is only trying to get people going. It should not matter where the new selector is from so long as he is the best person for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Black Suir wrote: »
    Ken McGrath has stood down as a selector with the Waterford Senior Hurling team. Its reported that he has a new job and would find it hard to combine both going into 2013.

His replacement will have to come from the West of the County as Sean Cullinane is already a selector and come from the City area.

The last part above is only trying to get people going. It should not matter where the new selector is from so long as he is the best person for the job.

Thats disappointing. Any Waterford dressing room can only be all the better for Ken being in it.

Its important to get the right man in now. I dont care where hes from but he needs to be there on merit and not to fill an agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Possible candidates - Joxer O' Connor? A.N. Other....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »

News broke last week. His replacement will have to be the best available candidate rather regardless of where they come from.

personally i think ken came in a bit too soon, as he played with a lot of the current team, and play against them in club hurling,

he'll be back in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks. I don't think it really matters other than being slightly embarrassing for them. It reminds me a little of Dublin's little black book or whatever it was a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

DeiseX wrote: »
    Possible candidates - Joxer O' Connor? A.N. Other....?

Joxer would be a very good candidate but did the players ask for a forward's coach last year which is why Ken was brought in and would this affect who is selected this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Joxer would be good but is he not still with Carraigtwohill in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

I'll tell you now Joxer won't take the job so any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

zol 2 wrote: »

Is that you jockser? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

ill gladly do it and pay all my own expenses

zol 2 wrote: »

you tell us?????

you tell us?????

I don't honestly know who will take it but i can tell you joxer won't. No doubt he would be a good selection but it's not for him at this stage of his coaching career.

Unfortunately no its not joxer here! I couldn't imagine the same fella taking time out like us poor lost souls to be debating the ups and downs of our hurlers on message boards such as this!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

It's the eve of the county final and I can't wait, I'm hoping for a Dungarvan win,

Once its a good game on both sides ill settle for that, were still a young side and were only making our mark the future is bright for us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Right, hold it there now. The tools to dismantle most teams in the Country? Who outside of Waterford have DLS ever dismantled? This year they've hammered the small teams, but when it's put up to them they look quite beatable (example, Fourmile, Lismore and Mount Sion).

It's this kind of thinking that has DLS struggling through their last two games, there is a sense of entitlement there underlined by the 3-3-1 thing. You could say that too much of a deal is being made of it, but personally I just feel that when the chips are down the attitude is more likely to be "Why aren't we winning" rather than "We need to do something about this". Hoping they do get caught out on Sunday, they need a lesson.

I think there's is a trophy entitlement mentality to De Le Salle.Isn't there some silly arrogant slogan written on their shirts this year.I have nothing against Waterford gaa in fact i like to see Waterford win when their not playing Cork but i have issues with De La Salle.I long for the day when Mount Sion are back as the number 1 team in Waterford City.Mount Sion of course are the great Johns Keanes club.If only a few of the De La Salle lads could be more like John who was an absolute gentleman.btw I think Waterford will beat Clare to setup another Cork and Waterford match.Tipp are the best team in munster by a distance but at the same time i wouldn't be too surprised if a Cork or Waterford man will be collecting the munster trophy.It would also be great to see Limerick in the munster final as well.John Allen is a much better manager than he's given credit for!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

lets hope it doesn't blow up in their face,or they'll end up being the laughing stock of the county.

I hope it does blow up in their face.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Third midfielder

I think there's is a trophy entitlement mentality to De Le Salle.Isn't there some silly arrogant slogan written on their shirts this year.I have nothing against Waterford gaa in fact i like to see Waterford win when their not playing Cork but i have issues with De La Salle.I long for the day when Mount Sion are back as the number 1 team in Waterford City.Mount Sion of course are the great Johns Keanes club.If only a few of the De La Salle lads could be more like John who was an absolute gentleman.btw I think Waterford will beat Clare to setup another Cork and Waterford match.Tipp are the best team in munster by a distance but at the same time i wouldn't be too surprised if a Cork or Waterford man will be collecting the munster trophy.It would also be great to see Limerick in the munster final as well.John Allen is a much better manager than he's given credit for!

De La Salle's mentality has made them more successful in Munster than any other Waterford club team. So they have ambitions the win Munster again and win an All Ireland. I would have thought that a bit of arrogance would go down well with a Cork poster seeing that have always had that in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Glad to see Waterford hurling in the city
    is as united as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Glad to see Waterford hurling in the city
    is as united as ever
    Dungarvan by 7 points

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Good luck to Dungarvan from across the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Good Luck to the Dungarvan player whose stupid comments he made last Monday in fraher field to the DLS manager will most definitely come back an haunt him I'm 100% positive his team mates would not be happy, he has single handedly given the biggest rile up to the city team,
    He must have nothing between his ears god love him,

Here's hoping we see a tasty county final it's a smashing day out,
    Up The Deise

Here's to two good games today (Geraldines v Butlerstown in the curtain raiser), hopefully we get two crackers. Please God it'll stay dry.
    Still think DLS will come through but not by a lot. I'm taking Dungarvan +6pts at even money, think it's a great bet.
    Best of luck to the 4 teams today.

anyone know if the waterford final is on tg4 today?

anyone know if the waterford final is on tg4 today?

Ah I'd say if they were showing any hurling, it'd be the Tipp county final between Sars and Drom.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ah I'd say if they were showing any hurling, it'd be the Tipp county final between Sars and Drom.

yea that would be more attractive to neutral viewers alright. am living away didn't manage to get home to see it raging now!! Best of luck to dungarvan anyway

• Advertisement

De La Salle's mentality has made them more successful in Munster than any other Waterford club team. So they have ambitions the win Munster again and win an All Ireland. I would have thought that a bit of arrogance would go down well with a Cork poster seeing that have always had that in spades.

What you call arrogance i call self belief.Maybe if Waterford had some of it they might have landed a few all irelands by now.:DI also never heard of a Cork team taking to the pitch with silly arrogant slogans on their shirt.Anyway Dungarvan Abu.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement