Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you judge an alcoholic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you can't go through a day without having a beer then you have a dependency on alcohol.

Can you point me to a reputable source for this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I disagree with the label 'Alcoholic'. As somebody has already said in this thread it is a pseudo scientific appelation, but, if it helps someone to adopt this name and go to meetings with people who will help them out of a hole, Fair Play to them and all of their supporters.

However, I think that a lot more people have drinking problems than will ever go to AA and say the "my name is ...." There is a fear of going over to the dark side that will prevent many people from ever admitting publicly the fact that they often know themselves for years.

I prefer to think of 'problem drinking' as this is a more step by step progression. If someone in your life has a problem with your drinking you MUST deal with it.

Can't get up for work? Cut down or cut it out.
    Partner/Parents/Children/Friends are unhappy with your drinking? Cut down or cut it out.
    Can't remember how you got to bed? cut down or cut it out.

Don't worry about the stigma , get your life back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Alcoholics, and people who drink alcohol to excess generally, no matter how you judge them, are a burden on the health service.

Few facts here:
    http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

Deaths from complications related to alcohol are particularly nasty.

I was in a rehab in Texas years back. One of the patients was a policeman, who came in with wet brain syndrome. He was wheeled in from the hospital on a stretcher. Days later he was wheeled from his room to take meds and eat with the rest of us. He drooled, he couldnt put a sentence togther. I had never even heard of it till I saw this man.

Story was his partner had been shot dead some time before, and this man turned to the drink. He almost ended up a vegetable.
    Glad to say though, by the time I left he was on the mend.

Images of him will stay with me a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

Jake1 wrote: »
    I was in a rehab in Texas years back. One of the patients was a policeman, who came in with wet brain syndrome. He was wheeled in from the hospital on a stretcher. Days later he was wheeled from his room to take meds and eat with the rest of us. He drooled, he couldnt put a sentence togther. I had never even heard of it till I saw this man.

Story was his partner had been shot dead some time before, and this man turned to the drink. He almost ended up a vegetable.
    Glad to say though, by the time I left he was on the mend.

Images of him will stay with me a long time

I have met somebody with this condition, its more commonly known as weirnick korsafic syndrome, exceptionally sad for the individual and their families! It's also on the increase in Ireland

• Advertisement

Nettle wrote: »
    I have met somebody with this condition, its more commonly known as weirnick korsafic syndrome, exceptionally sad for the individual and their families! It's also on the increase in Ireland

Its horrific to see someone brought to their knees like that isnt it?

I did not know it was on the increase, but Im not surprised .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

Jake1 wrote: »
    Nettle wrote: »

Its horrific to see someone brought to their knees like that isnt it?

I did not know it was on the increase, but Im not surprised .

Yep sure is, it's premature dementia, it is cause by malnutrition and excess alcohol, kinda makes you wonder how alcohol can still be so easily available!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

To be fair, if you can't get through the day it means you're dependant on alcohol really. That's alcoholism surely? It's not the same as having a beer or two every day. It's when you need it you're in trouble. That's my opinion anyway.

token101 wrote: »
    To be fair, if you can't get through the day it means you're dependant on alcohol really. That's alcoholism surely? It's not the same as having a beer or two every day. It's when you need it you're in trouble. That's my opinion anyway.

A lot of people can't get past an hour awake without a cup of tea or coffee.

Are they tea-aholics coffee-aholics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

maiden wrote: »
    Tell that to all the kids I have fostered! Im not sure they would agree

An (of course) entirely understandable (what I assume to be an expression of your) opinion, but biased and therefore unfair.

• Advertisement

A lot of people can't get past an hour awake without a cup of tea or coffee.

Are they tea-aholics coffee-aholics?

Yes :-/ Precisely.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Alcoholics, and people who drink alcohol to excess generally, no matter how you judge them, are a burden on the health service.

Few facts here:
    http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

Deaths from complications related to alcohol are particularly nasty.

Everyone who uses the health service is a burden on the health service. What's your point exactly?

So you are an alcoholic if you need or are dependent on it.

What of a person needs alcohol to chat up the opposite sex? They clearly depend in it so by the above definition they are alcoholics.

No. There is a difference between being dependent on something to simply get you through the day, and being dependent on something to chat up a girl at the bar.

What? It's not a "claim." The first half of the sentence equals the second half of the sentence. Unable to go without something = depending on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I pity them to be honest, what a waste of your life. I only hope that they can get cured of it, if you abuse alcohol too much then there's no turning back the damage it does to your body.

whirlpool wrote: »
    Unable to go without something = depending on something.

But they're not unable to. If you remove tea/coffee from a tea/coffee dependent person they're going to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

But they're not unable to. If you remove tea/coffee from a tea/coffee dependent person they're going to get over it.

But by that logic nobody can ever be addicted to anything?

Ultimately addiction is a choice. The substance does not make you take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Well - unless it's an addictive substance!
    Luke meth or something - supposed to be instantly addictive. Scarey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

[COLOR="Red"]Unable [/COLOR]to go without something = depending on something.

Same with alcohol. If you remove it from a dependent person, they will also get over it. But only after withdrawal. So what exactly is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

If they get over it, then they should be able to have it reintroduced. I am a recovering alcoholic.

TAKING a substance is a choice, you're correct. And I guess in a sense, you could say becoming addicted is a choice since you choose to continue to take the substance until you are addicted. But I do not think that the actual change in your body or chemistry which makes you addicted is a choice. That part is involuntary.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone ever sets out to become addicted. I for one, didn't. I just have a very addictive personality, with everything I do. So eventually, you just have to learn what it's alright to be addicted to and what to stay away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

In Good 'ole USA Alcoholics are told it's a Disease.

According to Mitch Hedberg, it's the only Disease you can get yelled at for having.

It is a disease. I was in treatment and I learned that. It's the only disease in the world that will convince you you don't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Everyone who uses the health service is a burden on the health service. What's your point exactly?

Same way as people who can't moderate their eating or who smoke, or any other lifestyle choice which affects health, not making a judgement, just stating a fact. If you can't see the point there, not a lot I can say that will help you. Exactly or not.

I personally do not believe it is a disease, no more than I believe that smoking or heroin addiction is a disease. I believe that alcoholism is simply an addiction. But others will disagree very strongly with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

maiden wrote: »
    Tell that to all the kids I have fostered! Im not sure they would agree

Good "thanks" post .

Some people are functioning alcoholics and others are not.
    My uncle is a functioning alcoholic now because he lost everything over the years. Don't know how the man is still alive

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Try inject heroin once so

• Advertisement

Try inject heroin once so

But Chuck's point is that you would be "trying it". The heroin would not be "making" you take it. Semantics, I know. Addiction itself is not a choice. Starting to take the drug is.

Advertisement