Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you judge an alcoholic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was under the impression that it was everything to do with behaviour. If someone is dependant on a drug but happy enough and not harming anyone else then what is the problem?

Also, if a person has 3 cans of beer every night is he an addict?

Ya see that's the problem with pseudo-scientific labelling of people.

They may not be harming anyone, and possibly may not even be harming themselves. But if drinking alcohol preoccupies a persons mind and they schedule time for it in their everyday lives then how could they not be seen as alcoholics?

If someone only smokes 5 cigarettes per day are they not addicts? There are varying degrees of addiction for everything, including alcohol.

The term 'alcoholic' is certainly a broad term, but how would you narrow it down? People that drink lots of alcohol every day but maintain functionality don't just become alcoholics the day they lose that functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Henry Sellars.

I MADE THE BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I know there drinking it because you can see it in their skin

Interesting

How do you see it though, not sure what you mean

Blotchy skin and generally look unhealthy.
    Some heavy drinkers look like they've had a bucket of boiling water thrown at them, the skin just looks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

An alcoholic, is defined as a person where alcohol affects one or more parts of their lives, areas are, home, social, work and so on...,,,,,

i think we're a great bunch of lads, and lassies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Heroditas wrote: »
    Blotchy skin and generally look unhealthy.
    Some heavy drinkers look like they've had a bucket of boiling water thrown at them, the skin just looks bad.

I know some people who do not drink and have blotchy skin and generally look unhealthy, they just don't look after them selves,

I also know some people who drink to much but they eat well and do exercise (yes this is possible) and look very good (while it might be on the inside),

you just never know, many times I have heard of people who decided to go to AA, they felt drink might be getting the better of them, but to look at them you would never of noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

maiden wrote: »
    Tell that to all the kids I have fostered! Im not sure they would agree

Would you argree that the kids you have fostered are having a tough life without their parents and in later life could become alcoholics themselves to block out the pain of their childhoods? If that does happen will you sympathise with them because you understand their pain or will you dismiss their pain with a smart comment about fostering children of alcoholics?

6 marks to their dedication for drink, very much admirable.

9 marks on their ability to consume such a large amount of alcohol.

and on and on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'll only see someone as an alcoholic if their drinking has a negative effect on their lives or the lives of those they are supposed to care for. If a man is a good father but likes to down a few beers every evening and not act the prick about it but get up for work the next morning, he is NOT, despite what those cnuts in AA will tell you, an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

I think in some cases it is a case of genetics, some people are predisposed to alcoholism. I have a family member who is an alcoholic, I still drink alcohol but I am careful about how much and how often. I think it would be easy to fall into the trap of drinking wine each night as I know lots of people who do this. I think people think it is ok because it is wine as opposed to beer/spirits. I think it is a slippery slope.

It is hard not to judge an alcoholic, I used to get very annoyed at a friend of mine who is. I have to remind myself that it is an addiction and that if circumstances were different it could be me.

• Advertisement

The term 'alcoholic' is certainly a broad term, but how would you narrow it down?

I can't. I don't think there can be a value free objective measurement of what makes a person an 'alcoholic' or addict.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I look down upon them, they are wasters with a drug addiction, Alcohol is a drug, yet people treat it as if it was something different. I hate how everything in Ireland revolves around alcohol especially the social life aspect of it.

I personally don't drink and they whole concept of going out to pay for overpriced drink and making a fool of ones self is pityfull, it really is an ignominy that people do this every weekend often men who feel they must be a borderline alcoholic to just speak to a woman.

So basically alcoholics are wasters in my view and should be treated with contempt and not pity. Everybody has choices in life and being an alcoholic is just the result of bad choice making.

You sir are a miss guided soul (I wanted to call you a dick, but it might of got me sent to prison) a lot of people who drink to much (alcoholics) are very productive and run very successful businesses, they add a lot to society while living in a lonely place,

it looks like you are doing well with your life and have no problems, for this I am happy, but one thing you should know the best and most brilliant minds thought they could never be controlled by something as simple as a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thinly veiled i'm an alcoholic thread.

You're the reason that a thread was created to get 'thinly veiled' banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Since I've started college I've talked to a lot of homeless people (I'm a wierdo) and a lot of them have been alcoholics. It's made me feel really sympathetic towards them. They're just people too and you don't realise it until you actually have a conversation with them. There is fuck all help for them here and there really is nothing they can do without any support. My mother and father were alcoholics for a long while and only got through it with the help of their family. I can only imagine how difficult it is for a homeless person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I always have a bit of a laugh when I hear about drugs in this country.

We probably have more functioning alcoholic that the mind can imagine.

Fair play all the same. I'm one.

But I have my reasons :/ I like the high of being drunk and I think I will live longer than if I were to induce it via other drugs...

Though I really miss those drugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Extinction wrote: »
    Would you argree that the kids you have fostered are having a tough life without their parents and in later life could become alcoholics themselves to block out the pain of their childhoods? If that does happen will you sympathise with them because you understand their pain or will you dismiss their pain with a smart comment about fostering children of alcoholics?

It wasnt intended to be a smart comment, everyone is entitled to their pain, but if a child is abused or neglected because of it then its a whole different ball game imo

I live with these kids in the here and now, not in the what ifs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

could go for a pint of guinness right now

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Regardless, to drink and drive
    You need a car

could go for a pint of guinness right now

Don't this thread might kill you, while putting you on the useless list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

An alcoholic is someone who NEEDS drink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Mate of mine is an alcoholic. He drinks every single day and is beginning to look like a lush (blotchy red skin, tired eyes). In fact in the last five years I don't think I've seen him without a drink in his hand. Do I judge him? No not really I'd like to help but watching him destroy himself on a daily basis is hard to take. You can talk to an alcoholic till your blue in the mouth but the decision to quit always has to come from the person themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'll only see someone as an alcoholic if their drinking has a negative effect on their lives or the lives of those they are supposed to care for. If a man is a good father but likes to down a few beers every evening and not act the prick about it but get up for work the next morning, he is NOT, despite what those cnuts in AA will tell you, an alcoholic.
    Well no, that's not at all true.

I agree that having a few beers every night doesn't mean you're an alcoholic, but if you can't go a night without having a few beers, regardless of how good a father or employee you are, you ARE an alcoholic.

if you can't go a night without having a few beers, regardless of how good a father or employee you are, you ARE an alcoholic.

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I look down upon them, they are wasters with a drug addiction, Alcohol is a drug, yet people treat it as if it was something different. I hate how everything in Ireland revolves around alcohol especially the social life aspect of it.

I personally don't drink and they whole concept of going out to pay for overpriced drink and making a fool of ones self is pityfull, it really is an ignominy that people do this every weekend often men who feel they must be a borderline alcoholic to just speak to a woman.

So basically alcoholics are wasters in my view and should be treated with contempt and not pity. Everybody has choices in life and being an alcoholic is just the result of bad choice making.

What of the alcoholic doesn't drink anymore?

By the way, your post kind of turned me on. I'm not sure what that makes me, but I doubt it's something good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Says who?
    Says the English language. An alcoholic is a person suffering from alcoholism, alcoholism is an addiction/dependency on alcohol. If you can't go through a day without having a beer then you have a dependency on alcohol, ergo you are suffering from alcoholism and are an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

An alcoholic can go for weeks and months without a drink but when they succumb they then hit it hard until they go off it again. You do not have to drink every day or week to be an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Don't ever volunteer for the Samaritans.

What about people who are addicted to drugs, food, cigarettes ? Any sympathy for these?
    Not all alcoholics are drinking from a paper bag in the park, some you might be amazed to hear work for a living but have a few drinks every night.
    Not all alcoholics get pissed daily they might have a few drinks but not necessarily get blind drunk.

There are all sorts of alcoholics some who hide it very well, this could be the woman who goes to mass everyday, goes to bingo friday night but secretly drinks at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Says who?
    Says the English language. An alcoholic is a person suffering from alcoholism, alcoholism is an addiction/dependency on alcohol. If you can't go through a day without having a beer then you have a dependency on alcohol, ergo you are suffering from alcoholism and are an alcoholic.

Correct, except not necessarily a day. I know a guy who goes on a 3 to 4 day bender a few times a year. He drinks very seldom, but he's still an alcho.

It's hard to define it, isn't it? But I think addiction is probably the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thinly veiled i'm an alcoholic thread.

It never was, and never will be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

So you are an alcoholic if you need or are dependent on it.

What of a person needs alcohol to chat up the opposite sex? They clearly depend in it so by the above definition they are alcoholics.

Advertisement