Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marines Held Over Alleged Murder

Options
  • 12-10-2012 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭twinytwo

waits for crusader....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The only immediate thought which comes to mind is the death of a prisoner.
    twinytwo wrote: »
    waits for crusader....

The first anti British-military post by anyone is going to be slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

The only immediate thought which comes to mind is the death of a prisoner.

Surely something like this would have to be politically santioned!? So, who benefits from arrests these guys. Can't see how (from the evidence wild speculation so far) these guys could murder an insurgent, unless he was a prisoner, and even then it would presumably have to have been a pretty specific/weird set of circumstances for it to be murder. Most stories say the incident happened during " an engagement with insurgents".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's pretty much a case of elimination.

If no civilians were involved, then the victim must have been a combatant, either on the ISAF or the opposition side.

If a member of the opposition who was killed during the engagement, I can't see how 'murder' would apply. Killing him is kindof the point. However, if that member of the opposition had surrendered, or was clearly expressing a desire to surrender at the time that he was killed, then murder could be appropriate.

Final possibility is the killing of an ally through such gross negligence that murder would be appropriate over manslaughter.

I don't see any other alternatives off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

from what i read it was an injured enemy combatant.

they were initially discussing whether or not to administer medical aid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement