Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems Michael Collins and Padraig Pearse were gay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Also, I'd love to know what the republicans here think of this?

Why specifically republicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hate the way every single historical figure has some source claiming they were gay. Kitty Kieran, his fiance would say different....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hazys wrote: »

He might think its 1930 in Republicanland and we'll have a cry or something? Bit odd he included O'Duffy in the list though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'll be dreaming of the burly Corconian tonight so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

I heard that David Norris was straight.

I heard he got a young lady in trouble once.....

He told her mother she'd been smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Shure aren't we all bisexual

If this statement means I love wimmins, it is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Could make for some gritty fan fiction.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I hate the way every single historical figure has some source claiming they were gay. Kitty Kieran, his fiance would say different....

Kitty Kiernan, well known lesbian and raconteur?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She must have been gay too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

who gives a ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't know what's with the gay assumption. If a man was engaged to a woman you would call it evidence he liked women. If some random guy spreads a rumor Collins was gay then it becomes a more likely case?
    I couldn't care less what he preferred but I hope he played with everything. And if he didn't then maybe he wasn't as sex obsessed as some people. I don't know why people have to go on like this, it's rampant in the year 2012 ffs. A persons sex life is their own. Speculation is for assholes.

Yup you've caught me on a generalization but surely most people would see that republicanism is widely associated with Catholicism and sectarian violence. While that doesn't apply to all republicans i think it's fair to say it's a common perception and one somewhat at odds with gay culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I couldn't care less if they were gay or not.

What písses me off are people like Norris outing people almost a century after they are dead.

Whats his agenda?

I doubt most hetrosexual people really care.

Why are gay people so obsessed with other peoples sexuality?
    What business is it of theirs (or anyone elses) if Roger Casement rogered his own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yup you've caught me on a generalization but surely most people would see that republicanism is widely associated with Catholicism and sectarian violence. While that doesn't apply to all republicans i think it's fair to say it's a common perception and one somewhat at odds with gay culture.
    Republicans are far more open-minded than loyalists, though (generalisation, yes. Wrong? No).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LuciusPax

Every so often someone comes out with one of these 'revelations' about famous historical figures. Like Hitler enjoyed golden showers or Ghengis khan was a cross dresser. It's nearly always because they are trying to flog a book or something and they need to bring something new to the table. Besides like others have mentioned who cares if they were gay?....though it would have been fantastic to see Patrick Pearse read the 'Proclamation of the irish Republic' in a ferociously camp voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

LuciusPax wrote: »
    Every so often someone comes out with one of these 'revelations' about famous historical figures. Like Hitler enjoyed golden showers or Ghengis khan was a cross dresser. It's nearly always because they are trying to flog a book or something and they need to bring something new to the table. Besides like others have mentioned who cares if they were gay?....though it would have been fantastic to see Patrick Pearse read the 'Proclamation of the irish Republic' in a ferociously camp voice.

Maybe he was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Maybe he was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him :P

Oooh too soon. Thats bad form altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It would explain the camp IRA berets and leather gloves.

Sinn Fein advocatied legalising gay marriage before any other major party, afaik. You'd want to be a bit more specific in your allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

It is probably because he was one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It would explain the camp IRA berets and leather gloves.
    I.R.Ghey?:D

Nodin wrote: »
    Sinn Fein advocatied legalising gay marriage before any other major party, afaik. You'd want to be a bit more specific in your allegations.

What allegations? I think it's pretty fair to say there's a widely held association between republicanism, sectarian violence and Catholicism.

You can say that this is a misconception (and you may or may not be right) but it doesn't change the fact that this is the public's perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It is probably because he was one.

OP admited why specifically republicans because there is a generalization that republicans due to their links to religion would more than likely be homophobic.

He also mentioned sectarian violence but i have no idea how that fits into the discussion.

But are republicians more likely to have less a precentage of their group to be atheists than the general public? i dont think so tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Padraic Pearse went around Rathmines dressed as a woman allegedly. Probably just doing a bit of auld spying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's a bit weird going about outing people. It's a bit like a child making a case for something they did saying '...but Tommy down the road did it!'.
    It's a bit ridiculous that anyone should feel they have to justify being gay in the first place, but state your own opinion, don't point at others.

LuciusPax wrote: »
    ...it would have been fantastic to see Patrick Pearse read the 'Proclamation of the irish Republic' in a ferociously camp voice.
    A Fabulous new Republic darling.

Casement was clearly gay though, he's called Roger ffs! Sooooo gay! :pac:

Pottler wrote: »
    I.R.Ghey?:D

I R gAy would be brilliant, there'd be no more dressing up as soldiers with the camoflage gear and the balaclavas. Instead one guy would dress as a construction worker, one as a red indian, one as a police officer....

OP admited why specifically republicans because there is a generalization that republicans due to their links to religion would more than likely be homophobic.

He also mentioned sectarian violence but i have no idea how that fits into the discussion.

I said republicans are perceived to be more religious and if you can't see why people associate republicanism with sectarian violence that's just nuts.

And yes that's a generalization i'd probably buy into myself to a degree (in so much as i'd buy into any generalization). I just don't perceive any republican figures as very tolerant people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I R gAy would be brilliant, there'd be no more dressing up as soldiers with the camoflage gear and the balaclavas. Instead one guy would dress as a construction worker, one as a red indian, one as a police officer....
    The parades could be the "moves" - way more fun, but probably bad for business - "Give me the money or we'll knee-cap ya,.. oohhh where'd you get them trousers??, they're simply divine!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

I found myself leafing through yesterdays Irish Times (it's pretty ****e i know) and found an excerpt from David Norris book, he's talking about the gay right movement in Ireland and goes on to strongly suggest that Roger Casement, Padraig Pearse, Michael Collins and Eoin O'Duffy were gay.

Now personally I don't have a homophobic bone in my body (stop) but isn't it a bit weird outing people like this when there dead? Also, I'd love to know what the republicans here think of this?

I know its been widely suggested before that Roger Casement was gay but the other three came as a bit of a shock to me. For one thing i want me money back from the Liam Neeson/Julia Roberts movie. Damn you Hollywood lies....

There have been Various claims made about Pearse, very little evidence for them bar some poetry he wrote. Casement was almost definatly Gay, As for Collins, It seems very unlikely, have not seen any evidence for it, this is the first time I have even heard it rumored.

I know nothing about O'Duffy other than he was a blueshirt and a bit of a headcase.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    The parades could be the "moves" - way more fun, but probably bad for business - "Give me the money or we'll knee-cap ya,.. oohhh where'd you get them trousers??, they're simply divine!"

The Wolf Tones will have to go Disco

Advertisement