Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

-Corkie- wrote: »
    If it bothers you that much do the maths yourself...;)

What size is your tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

What size is your tank?
    what mpg are you getting, is the question I would ask....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Jumpaddict

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Way OT here - but is it just me or is that one of the most irritating phrases to befall this forum?

Why cant people use MPG (or hell, even the tool of the divil, l/100km)

From what I've seen on this forum, few know how to calculate mpg properly, or maybe just in denial.:p

No issues with miles per tank, provided the size of tank is given...i'd presume its a 70l tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jumpaddict wrote: »
    From what I've seen on this forum, few know how to calculate mpg properly, or maybe just in denial.:p

No issues with miles per tank, provided the size of tank is given...i'd presume its a 70l tho....
    Guess work at best.

I am a self confessed uber-pedant. I despise these pseudo-scientific units of measurement.

My car gets 550miles to the tank. Another could get 300 or 700 miles to the tank, but return better, worse or similar MPG.

Stick to a known constant. Imperial gallons and distance travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭maidhc

Col200sx wrote: »
    Bangernomics :confused:

Should be in the dreamers thread at that price ;)

Maybe, but if it has a good service history, it is a far better buy than a clapped out one for €1,000 with 1/4 a million on the clock. Just saying!

Mondeo with obligatory gaffer tape. Fresh NCT and work done. People don't realise how impossible it is to kill these little cars.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3939969
    View2-14430672.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Bah, I'll let someone else post up the 406's this time. Plenty of bargains on donedela this evening

Yes, I said donedela and mean donedeal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

colm_mcm wrote: »

I don't know much anything about cars but €800 seems low for a 2004 if it has no problems.

The other car has a hell of a lot of nct left on it, pity it looks horribly dull and uncomfortable inside

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

colm_mcm wrote: »

Honest John (yeah, yeah I know...) gives them a fair scorecard. :) They were the "star in a reasonably priced car" car on Top Gear for a while.

Parker's give it 2.5 stars and tell us Liana stands for Life in a new age.....
    No Euro NCAP crash test results yet
    UK models were 1.6 with decent specs or options; the one posted is a 1.3 and might be well-underpowered and Paddy spec....
    driver / passenger airbags
    lacks some safety features now considered standard
    ABS and side airbag on GLX only.
    Alarm/immobiliser on all models.
    Short service intervals
    10 owner reviews are almost all uniformly good 4/5 star range
    One owner (only) reported problems: Exhaust sensor andFront Spring Cracked.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Esel wrote: »
    Honest John (yeah, yeah I know...) gives them a fair scorecard. :) They were the "star in a reasonably priced car" car on Top Gear for a while.

Parker's give it 2.5 stars and tell us Liana stands for Life in a new age.....
    No Euro NCAP crash test results yet
    UK models were 1.6 with decent specs or options; the one posted is a 1.3 and might be well-underpowered and Paddy spec....
    driver / passenger airbags
    lacks some safety features now considered standard
    ABS and side airbag on GLX only.
    Alarm/immobiliser on all models.
    Short service intervals
    10 owner reviews are almost all uniformly good 4/5 star range
    One owner (only) reported problems: Exhaust sensor andFront Spring Cracked.

if it gets the same 1.3 as the swift & such then shes not a bad purchase... would be more 900-1000 in value but hey, its a cheap and chips motor that you'll drive till it blows up, which could be quite soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tis an 04 for half the price of an 04 golf/focus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Guess work at best.

I am a self confessed uber-pedant. I despise these pseudo-scientific units of measurement.

My car gets 550miles to the tank. Another could get 300 or 700 miles to the tank, but return better, worse or similar MPG.

Stick to a known constant. Imperial gallons and distance travelled.

Agreed; mine gets about 250 for a tank of mixed driving with urban bias - sounds bad? Even worse when you consider it's 100L/22gl tank.

Pdfile wrote: »
    if it gets the same 1.3 as the swift & such then shes not a bad purchase... would be more 900-1000 in value but hey, its a cheap and chips motor that you'll drive till it blows up, which could be quite soon.

.... A 76k mile 2004 loans is likely to blow up quite soon :confused:
    Catastrophic engine failure isn't overly common on Suzuki cars to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3886860

2002 Laguna for 850 euro!! Only draw-back is if there's any tax, it's not mentioned..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Doubt it since the NCT had clearly been left expire...

Certainly valeted well for the pics and seems to have a service history. Could certainly be worth a punt though I'd definitely want to know why the NCT wasn't done and I'd be very wary of the electrics on a 10 year old Renault...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Buck Fizz wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3886860

2002 Laguna for 850 euro!! Only draw-back is if there's any tax, it's not mentioned..
    I wouldn't be too worried about the tax. I would be more worried about the gearbox. I believe that they are soft and very hard to source second hand or reconditioned. A neighbour of mine had this exact sinario.
    But, for €850, it is indeed good bangernomics. If you get a year out of the car, without any major isuues, happy days.
    Its a lot of car for that price and looks reasonably modern for the year. Do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

Sleepy wrote: »
    Doubt it since the NCT had clearly been left expire...

Certainly valeted well for the pics and seems to have a service history. Could certainly be worth a punt though I'd definitely want to know why the NCT wasn't done and I'd be very wary of the electrics on a 10 year old Renault...

The ad states that the NCT was just done and is due to expire 02/13 so that's not much help either if you have to go and do it again in March!! Are Electrics on 10 year Reno bad?

Purely anecdotal but a few friends of mine had issues with electrics on those when they were 2/3 years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

cadaliac wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about the tax. I would be more worried about the gearbox. I believe that they are soft and very hard to source second hand or reconditioned. A neighbour of mine had this exact sinario.
    Was it not the 6 speed box that was considered weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

nice looking Bangernomic :D
    High mileage though.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3950093
    and another one.
    better value
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3869757

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Saab 9-5 Hot Aero anyone?

Love the alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

When I was on the lookout for a T5/Hot Aero earlier this year, this was always popping up for sale every couple of months, I even remember his name as it stood out (and same pics each time).

So beware, it's been for sale for a loooooong time, it may be a lemon as nobody seems to have bought it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Col200sx wrote: »
    When I was on the lookout for a T5/Hot Aero earlier this year, this was always popping up for sale every couple of months, I even remember his name as it stood out (and same pics each time).

So beware, it's been for sale for a loooooong time, it may be a lemon as nobody seems to have bought it :)

I'd say its more to do with the running costs than anything. Driven the right way they'll manage 30 mpg ... just. Driven with any sort of enthusiasm at all and its sub 20s all day long. That and the fact that they are heavy on tax, tyres, servicing and they're not much of a drivers car, more of a straight line bullet, and you can see why they're quickly moved on.

People often buy them becuase they are cheap but the purchase price is where the cheapness ends ;)

Can't.... Resist.....

NCT till Oct, 550

No excuse not to NCT, perhaps a bargaining chip?
    Full-14467593.jpeg

Right, some variety :)

NCT till August, 550

Full-14483065.jpeg

NCT till October 13, 800

Nipply little car :)
    Full-14477627.jpeg

NCT till July, 800

It might be a typo but if it isn't its a serious bargain
    Full-14462994.jpeg

NCT till Jan, 680

Full-14440164.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

View2-14253310.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3869251
    I'd be careful though and only a few weeks nct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

dgt wrote: »

Rocket the advertiser mentions in the ad:eek: Those 1.0 litre VAG engines are anything but rockets. I will conceed though it does seem a good buy for the asking price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

MidlandsM wrote: »
    God i F***ing hate Ireland :mad: the road tax will cost more in a years time then the car itself.Only one owner too.good buy for someone with a big garage nothing else to say.

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    NCT till July, 800

It might be a typo but if it isn't its a serious bargain
    Full-14462994.jpeg
    Anything beyond the "but it's a Rover!" to be aware of on these? Looks like a nice car...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement