Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody else getting excited about Arthur's Day?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

syklops wrote: »
    Why is spreading the word and believing in the teaching of Christianity not marketing but spreading the word and believing Carlsberg when they say "Probably the best beer in the world... ever" is marketing? Whats the difference? Not a lot. Neither are based on any fact either.

It's not marketing because we're dealing in people's faith as regards religion.

You can't say you place (the same kind of) faith in Guinness.

It's different! End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I get why you had an 18th birthday, coming of age and all that, but why did you bother having a 19th and a 20th and 21st etc?

People only make a big deal out of milestone numbers like 18 and 21 and the round numbers like 30, 40 etc. Your 33rd hardly requires booking a function room, DJ, Band all your aunties and uncles etc. But sure says a lot about you when you equate peoples birthdays to brand names.
    So I take it you will celebrate or celebrated the 102nd birthday of the Ford Motor Company, the 13th birthday of Google, 36th birthday of Apple, 77th birthday of Jameson with equal gusto as Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

iDave wrote: »
    People only make a big deal out of milestone numbers like 18 and 21 and the round numbers like 30, 40 etc. Your 33rd hardly requires booking a function room, DJ, Band all your aunties and uncles etc. But sure says a lot about you when you equate peoples birthdays to brand names.
    So I take it you will celebrate or celebrated the 102nd birthday of the Ford Motor Company, the 13th birthday of Google, 36th birthday of Apple, 77th birthday of Jameson with equal gusto as Guinness

You should have been there man. Was quite the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

iDave wrote: »
    People only make a big deal out of milestone numbers like 18 and 21 and the round numbers like 30, 40 etc. Your 33rd hardly requires booking a function room, DJ, Band all your aunties and uncles etc. But sure says a lot about you when you equate peoples birthdays to brand names. So I take it you will celebrate or celebrated the 102nd birthday of the Ford Motor Company, the 13th birthday of Google, 36th birthday of Apple, 77th birthday of Jameson with equal gusto as Guinness

To be fair I've never done that for any of my birthdays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Costingtons Manager: Okay, people, we need to cook up a new holiday for the summer. Something with gifts, cards, assorted gougeables.
    Costingtons Woman: How about something religious? We had great penetration last spring with Christmas Two.
    Costingtons Man: Oh, I know. Spendover, like Passover, less talk, more presents.
    [Everyone starts talking at once]
    Costingtons Manager: No, no, no! No, it's gotta be warm and fuzzy. Some like, um, "Love Day", but not so lame.
    [cut to the Simpsons home several days later]
    Marge Simpson: Happy Love Day, everyone!

Have a merry and peaceful Arthurs day everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

omahaid wrote: »
    Costingtons Manager: Okay, people, we need to cook up a new holiday for the summer. Something with gifts, cards, assorted gougeables.
    Costingtons Woman: How about something religious? We had great penetration last spring with Christmas Two.
    Costingtons Man: Oh, I know. Spendover, like Passover, less talk, more presents.
    [Everyone starts talking at once]
    Costingtons Manager: No, no, no! No, it's gotta be warm and fuzzy. Some like, um, "Love Day", but not so lame.
    [cut to the Simpsons home several days later]
    Marge Simpson: Happy Love Day, everyone!

Have a merry and peaceful Arthurs day everyone!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They should actually call it D*ckhead Day because anyone who falls for such corporate propaganda....

Oxygen / Electric picnic?

Both heavily sponsored by the booze industry.

Various comedy festivals as well as theatre too.
    Oxygen is being rebranded as " greenstar "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Fuck Diageo and this horrible makey-up holiday. I don't need a corporation telling me to drink their shite, have a good time and go to a gig on a particular day to celebrate the founding of a company 200 odd years ago. The day doesn't even correspond to the actual founding day anymore, given that this day has been on a Thursday for the past three years.

Plus, there is this stunt they pulled a couple of months ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9255369/Scottish-beer-company-BrewDog-forces-Diageo-to-apologise-over-dirty-tricks-at-awards.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Oxygen is being rebranded as " greenstar "

Because of the amount of rubbish they have to pick up afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    It's not marketing because we're dealing in people's faith as regards religion.

You can't say you place (the same kind of) faith in Guinness.

It's different! End of.

Well as an aetheist, I would say yes. I can touch and see and taste Guinness. I can't see God, and only a very small number of people in the grand scheme of things ever saw Jesus. I also have faith in the fact that few people have killed others in the name of Guinness. Guinness was never the cause of a war. Few people have fought or hated each other because one liked Guinness when the other preferred Murphys.

Sounds like a decent place to start a religion to me.

So your telling me you never had a party for your 23rd birthday? Wow, thats really sad. I have a party almost every year, the only exceptions being when something more important is happening. I get less gifts every year, which makes the party even more important. I've never had a band at any birthday party, but thats because i prefer people to talk.

None of the others, because I don't have any connection with any of them, but I would celebrate the birthday of John Jameson(who is a lot more than 77 btw) as I feel I have an affinity with him and his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

just like Paddy's Day, Valentines Day, new Years' Day, I will be avoiding town like crazy on Arthurs Day. it's another "lunatic" day where everybody is "told" that its a great day and everybody should be out. its a marketing ploy. The end.

I would rather go out when i feel like it to have a drink, not when some marketing company tells me to.

Arthurs Day is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

May go to the Porterhouse as I did last year or down to the Black sheep on Caple St and try a few proper local stouts and beers with flavour. Or maybe just get some of that O Hara's stout which I believe is top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So everyone who enjoys it is an arsehole?

Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

Ah it's that time of year again when Diageo kick down people's doors and drag them kicking and screaming to the pub.

They force pint after pint of Guinness down people's throats while the bar staff chants "To Arthur! To Arthur!" over and over again and the band on stage plays the music from every Guinness ad ever!

There's no escape.

It's a disgrace, Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i cant wait!! i just finished putting up my arthur's day tree! :D

*its just a tree i cut down from my neighbours garden stuffed with cans of guiness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

So everyone who enjoys it is an arsehole?

Classy.

And when did you stop beating your wife?
    You didn't read the link, did you? The marketing vermin behind this are the arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

And when did you stop beating your wife?
    You didn't read the link, did you? The marketing vermin behind this are the arseholes.

What a ridiculous thing to say. These marketing people are just doing their job, and doing it quite brilliantly I might add.

So what if Dieago see Arthur's Day as a marketing tool. Because of it there will be lots of gigs on around the country, publicans and musicians earning more than they usually would on a Thursday night, tourism benefits (I know a good few British people coming over for Arthurs Day and making a long weekend out of the trip), a lot of money will be raised for various charities and myself and most of my mates will be out enjoying (hopefully!) the night!

So if you think the people behind Arthur's Day are vermin and arseholes then I'd hate to think what you opinion is of the average man on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    Ah it's that time of year again when Diageo kick down people's doors and drag them kicking and screaming to the pub.

They force pint after pint of Guinness down people's throats while the bar staff chants "To Arthur! To Arthur!" over and over again and the band on stage plays the music from every Guinness ad ever!

There's no escape.

It's a disgrace, Joe!

Sounds like a cracking night, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

In terms of marketing, it's genius but why some gobshyte graduate from Smurfit is even allowed to impact on our country like this is beyond me.

There should be sanctions placed against this kind of corporate dictatorship

Some people around here are fierce dry. It's a good excuse to go drinking and luckily not everyone will be at home moaning about it so there should be good craic in the pubs. Roll on Thursday I say. Tourists love this sort of stuff too.

Also Guinness is great and deserves its own day, looking forward to a few lovey pints of it now!

As if the Irish need an excuse to go drinking.:pac:

As if the Irish need an excuse to go drinking.:pac:

Its good to have some form of excuse though and its better than our usual "the weekend starts on Thursday" or pretending its someones birthday etc etc type excuses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

There's a good free gig on that wouldn't be on if wasn't Arthur's Day.

I, for one, will be out enjoying that whilst the naysayers are at home feeling superior about the fact the weren't "exploited" into supporting an obvious marketing ploy from Diageo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Its good to have some form of excuse though and its better than our usual "the weekend starts on Thursday" or pretending its someones birthday etc etc type excuses :D

why would you have to pretend that it is someone's birthday to go out for a drink (unless you are a teenager that has to ask permission). Can't people just go out for a drink without having a "special day" marketed by a drinks company to tell them to do so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Alabama 3 are playing in O'Connells in Galway, I'm looking forward to that aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I wish they'd stop making the drink itself taste less and less like stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Nailz wrote: »
    Alabama 3 are playing in O'Connells in Galway, I'm looking forward to that aspect of it.

You should stay at home, proving to the world you're not a mindless sheep at the behest of the Guinness marketing machine. ;)

Advertisement