Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a place for new Unionist political party in the Republic?

Options
  • 24-09-2012 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

I was just thinking that there is very little variety in politics here in the Republic. All the mainstream parties are Republicans of one streak or another be they FG or FF and SF. Labour are essentially Republican also as they were all the one with the "Official" IRA except with a more left wing outlook.

Off topic: I mean how many IRAs can there be. Official IRA, Old IRA, CIRA, PIRA and RIRA. Even today I say a referce to the RCIRA -Real Continuity. FFS like."

Even at FG there is a lack of any sort of conservative party but thats another story.

Now I know we have the Reform Group and that but there realy isn't any sort of proper unionist orientated party here in the south and given the fact that there is a growing dissatisfaction with and rejection of Nationalist/Republican based ideas coupled with the breaking of the chokehold of the Catholic church and the fact we've have a not insignificant number of protestants in the Republic, is there a possible opening for a Unionist party here again? It would be the first since the demise of the Irish Parlimentary Party.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Not for another fifty or a hundred years I woukdnt think.
    The issue is absolutely incendiary, you couldnt have a rational discussion n an unmoderated environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

is there a possible opening for a Unionist party here again?

And what exactly makes you so sure that the UK would actually want to bring Ireland back into the fold?

You do realise that the creation of a Unionist Party is very presumptuous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ireland pretty much is the U.K apart from currency and flag,just don't tell the republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Funny, I thought the Republican vote was growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

I dunno. Obviously reunion would be years away if achievable at all but there would be noting wrong with promoting it and closer business and cultural ties with the UK overall.
    Getting active in promoting the rejoining of the Commonwealth would be a good start point I think.
    I know that the Reform Group are kinda active in promoting the joining to the Commonwealth but they are a bit of a one trick pony. They do little else.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Ireland pretty much is the U.K apart from currency and flag,just don't tell the republicans.

Those very same Republicans would be quick to point out your fallacy.

The fact that they call themselves Republicans rather than Monarchists would indicate how they differentiate our two Nations.

I'm assuming you're a Constitutional Monarchist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Re fg and labour you are 70 years behind the times, and probably 20 years for ff.

I dunno. Obviously reunion would be years away if achievable at all but there would be noting wrong with promoting it and closer business and cultural ties with the UK overall.
    Getting active in promoting the rejoining of the Commonwealth would be a good start point I think.
    I know that the Reform Group are kinda active in promoting the joining to the Commonwealth but they are a bit of a one trick pony. They do little else.

How do you imagine reunification would actually benefit us?

I hope it's not solely to sponge off the UK taxpayer so that we can alleviate our debts. Beyond that, I'm not sure how we could benefit from losing even more sovereignty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

This "reunion" with britain is a fallacy - we were never unified in a true sense - after the act of union there were numerous constitutional agitations, agrarian wars and multiple insurrections - Britain did not have these.

Why would Irish people want it anyway, give that we have only ever suffered in such an arrangement?

The republican vote is growing, there is no appetite for union with Britain beyond that of a few rich west brits and other petty sould who come up with this proposition in order to piss people off.

Theres a place for every other type of crackpot group, fascist groups for example, because we are (supposedly) a free society, but they'll never be popular, or wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I hope it's not solely to sponge off the UK taxpayer so that we can alleviate our debts. Beyond that, I'm not sure how we could benefit from losing even more sovereignty.

That's the money shot alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

The British would not want us and we are always going to have problems when the interests of the two countries diverge.

Why would the Unionists want to campaign in the ROI anway?

It is mind boggling.

Who do they think they are catering for?

As of the moment it seems the only way to alleviate our debt is too go for Euro Debt pooling via deeper integration. Which is against British interests.

The countires are about to go on two very different paths in the next few years with us moving deeper into Europe and them going out. And those paths are what are best for each country.

It would destroy the economies of both nations and not be in the best interests of anyone.

Why do it ?

The Pro Euro votes and the Rep votes are growing here.

And to be honest just look at the British Govt....Cameron is a disaster.....the Tory govt is less competant than ours...and THATS SAYING SOMETHING!

I don't think the British people or the Irish people would want it. Infact i know the Irish would not want it.

Not that we don't like Britain. But we are not British and culturally different. We get on much better as separate sovreign nations...why mess that up?

Plus if that happened then Ireland would be united i imagine and Unionists find themselves in a tiny frightening minority again.....and we know that does not work.

No we are Irish. :-) We like our British neighbours and lets not muck it up:-)

Do you mean UKIP? Why ???

I don't get what there is in it benifit wise from a British perspective or an Irish one either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Why would Irish people want it anyway, give that we have only ever suffered in such an arrangement?

We suffered much more and for longer after independence than we ever did under the British after the Famine. I think the OPs question on the viability of a unionist party in the republic is just barmy by the way, but I think a few facts mightn't hurt the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

I'd be up for leaving the euro and joining sterling. Bank of England rates are pretty much always more suitable to our needs than Germany's. The island's too small for two currencies imho.

Still favour political independence. no interest in joining a monarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Do you mean UKIP? Why ???

I don't get what there is in it benifit wise from a British perspective or an Irish one either.

the reform group are a bunch of anglicised irish who spend their time meeting up and writing articles looking down on the average irish person, like kevin myers, ruth dudly-edwards, emer o'kelly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Now I know we have the Reform Group and that but there realy isn't any sort of proper unionist orientated party here in the south and given the fact that there is a growing dissatisfaction with and rejection of Nationalist/Republican based ideas coupled with the breaking of the chokehold of the Catholic church and the fact we've have a not insignificant number of protestants in the Republic, is there a possible opening for a Unionist party here again? It would be the first since the demise of the Irish Parlimentary Party.

What dose the number of Protestants have to do with anything?
    You're not blinkered enough to think that Protestant = unionist down here are you?

Also, the IPP were not a Unionist Party, they were a Moderate Nationalist Party, times and defenitions were very different then, in todays Ireland moderate nationalism dose not support any form of Union with the UK, it would be an anacronism.

Denerick wrote: »
    We suffered much more and for longer after independence than we ever did under the British after the Famine. I think the OPs question on the viability of a unionist party in the republic is just barmy by the way, but I think a few facts mightn't hurt the discussion.

In what ways did we suffer more after independance than we did in the period between the Famine and Independance?

An Coilean wrote: »
    In what ways did we suffer more after independance than we did in the period between the Famine and Independance?

Let's be honest neither was a picnic.

British Rule did not help us economically as a people...the EU did...that is our future to be pro EU is to be pro Irish. To be pro Irish is not to be anti-British it is just that our interests diverge on many issues.

Let's not base this on anything other than pragnatism...cosidering what we have achieved with the EU and the way Britain is going with the EU it would be unwise.

Supranationalism always worked in our favour over intergovenmentalism....thats just the way it is.

Our infrastructure steadily deteriorated to the point where we began to resemble a third world country, emigration was rampant (In 1966 we had 2.8 million people, in 1911 we had 3.1 - 300,000 less people after 55 years) the economy was just dreadful until the late 70s where it began to catch up with the rest of europe, only to collapse in the 80s again. The cultural and political ethos of Ireland right up until the 90s was a grim, overwhelming and suffocating Gaelic catholicism that has only in recent years been seen for what it actually was.

So in short, life under the British Empire wasn't all lonely Gaelic maidens crying for their freedom in ditches out west 'neath lonely mountains and ragged faced farmers...

Just trying to add perspective and hopefully nip the whole 800 years of woe bull**** in the bud before its allowed to consume yet another discussion on Anglo Irish relations.

Our infrastructure steadily deteriorated to the point where we began to resemble a third world country, emigration was rampant (In 1966 we had 2.8 million people, in 1911 we had 3.1 - 300,000 less people after 55 years) the economy was just dreadful until the late 70s where it began to catch up with the rest of europe, only to collapse in the 80s again. The cultural and political ethos of Ireland right up until the 90s was a grim, overwhelming and suffocating Gaelic catholicism that has only in recent years been seen for what it actually was.

In the 55 year period from 1911 to 1966, 300,000 people emigrated, compare that to the 1,970,000 people that emigrated in the 60 year period of 1851 - 1911
    I think we can safely say that as far as the rate of emigration goes, Independant Ireland did quite a bit better than British rule between the Famine and Independance.

The Economy was absolutley awful after the famine, why do you think just shy of 2 million had to leave, the Economy was not good after Independance, but are you really claiming it was worse than it was under British Rule in the 60 years before?

Personally I dont see why overwhelming and suffocating British Imperialism is preferable to overwhelming and suffocating Gaelic Catholicism.

Just trying to add perspective and hopefully nip the whole 800 years of woe bull**** in the bud before its allowed to consume yet another discussion on Anglo Irish relations.

No one is denying that the 60 or so years after Independance were rough, but they were not a patch on the 60 or so before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Our infrastructure steadily deteriorated to the point where we began to resemble a third world country, emigration was rampant

Emigration is covered in the previous post. It is possible to make some criticisms of infrastructure, but when you add in rural electrification, Shannon airport, massive slum clearance, etc , independent Ireland did just fine.

As for Catholicism this would have been just as influential under colonial rule, except the additional problem of a government without moral authority.

In the 55 year period from 1911 to 1966, 300,000 people emigrated, compare that to the 1,970,000 people that emigrated in the 60 year period of 1851 - 1911
    I think we can safely say that as far as the rate of emigration goes, Independant Ireland did quite a bit better than British rule between the Famine and Independance.

The reason I brought up emigration wasn't to show one side of the debate having a bigger dick than the other, it was to point out that this new independent country failed fundamentally in providing jobs for hundreds of thousands of new people. Anyway, the emigration after independence was from a lower base, so that needs to be taken in account of as well.
    The Economy was absolutley awful after the famine, why do you think just shy of 2 million had to leave, the Economy was not good after Independance, but are you really claiming it was worse than it was under British Rule in the 60 years before?

Ireland as a region of the British Empire was easily one of the ten richest parts of the world in the early years of the 20th century. This was almost entirely down to direct British state investment in an island with virtually no useful economic resources.
    Personally I dont see why overwhelming and suffocating British Imperialism is preferable to overwhelming and suffocating Gaelic Catholicism.

Because for most people 'British Imperialism' was an abstract irrelevance that barely impacted on their lives. Gaelic catholicism and the culture it created directly changed the country for the worse, in the eyes of many Irish writers of the time. It permeated everything, it was more than an abstract idea, it was the nation. Whereas 'British Imperialism' was completely abstract and almost entirely irrelevant to most people. Nobody is saying that the British Empire didn't do some awful things, but the lack of perspective at times is quite worrying and plays into the whole mythological playbook developed by Republicans over the past century. By any standard, the British Empire in the early 20th century was the most politically liberal Empire in history. It had a remarkable tolerance for dissent and seperatist ideas, I'd encourage you to read some Fenian papers of the late 19th and early 20th century. Looking back, it seems remarkable that they could even be published under what was, according to some, a thoroughly satanic and odious regime incapable of tolerating dissent and interested only in bloody murder and mayhem. Etc. Perspective, thats all I ask.
    No one is denying that the 60 or so years after Independance were rough, but they were not a patch on the 60 or so before.

Its a largely irrelevant dichotomy to be honest, but I think you've been severely affected by Republican myth making and reality distortion. No self respecting historian would share that view.

Because everything was gravy before and after that point. I'm sure it was a dream for British Administrators in 1852 with half the population either dead, dying, or emigrating.

I don't imagine you would be quite so forgiving if such a terrible atrocity was allowed to grow to such ghastly proportions under Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, or Labour Government.

Personally, I wouldn't celebrate any minute Economic growth which was achieved after 1852, as it was only achieved through dreadful consequence. Had Ireland not suffered a grievous famine, it would be unlikely that Land Reforms would have been so forthcoming. Even then, it was only in the Early Twentieth Century that Irish Tenants were finally allowed to purchase their holdings.

I honestly shiver at the thought of uniting Ireland with a Nation whoes principle Architect, Lord Cornwallis, had described our Nation and People as those "whom we ought to have destroyed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Lets give republicanism a go first. A proper go, not the sham that has been perpertrated up until now.
    Unionism isn't a political philosophy, it's a failed political party, being that it has managed to enshrine it's own obliteration in an internationally binding agreement. Don't confuse your self.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst in would be interesting to have a unionist party with an aim for a closer linkage with Ireland's nearest neighbour, they might choice to ditch any reflective anti-Catholicism which seem the defacto setting for the current politic parties and the historical challenged chattering classes.

The reason I brought up emigration wasn't to show one side of the debate having a bigger dick than the other, it was to point out that this new independent country failed fundamentally in providing jobs for hundreds of thousands of new people. Anyway, the emigration after independence was from a lower base, so that needs to be taken in account of as well.

It clearly was, you made the comparision between Ireland Under British Rule before the Famine and Ireland after Independance.

Lets be clear about this, You said:
    We suffered much more and for longer after independence than we ever did under the British after the Famine.

Ireland under the British after the Famine lost 38.5% of its population.
    Ireland after independance (1911-1966) lost about 9% of its population.

How exactly this can be said to show Ireland Suffering much more after Independance than it did under Brith Rule after the Famine is beyond me.

Ireland as a region of the British Empire was easily one of the ten richest parts of the world in the early years of the 20th century. This was almost entirely down to direct British state investment in an island with virtually no useful economic resources.

Are you really trying to suggest that direct rule from London did anything for this country? Also, I would be interested to see a comparrision between the amount spent by the British in ireland by comparrision to the tax take from Ireland.

Because for most people 'British Imperialism' was an abstract irrelevance that barely impacted on their lives. Gaelic catholicism and the culture it created directly changed the country for the worse, in the eyes of many Irish writers of the time. It permeated everything, it was more than an abstract idea, it was the nation. Whereas 'British Imperialism' was completely abstract and almost entirely irrelevant to most people. Nobody is saying that the British Empire didn't do some awful things, but the lack of perspective at times is quite worrying and plays into the whole mythological playbook developed by Republicans over the past century. By any standard, the British Empire in the early 20th century was the most politically liberal Empire in history. It had a remarkable tolerance for dissent and seperatist ideas, I'd encourage you to read some Fenian papers of the late 19th and early 20th century. Looking back, it seems remarkable that they could even be published under what was, according to some, a thoroughly satanic and odious regime incapable of tolerating dissent and interested only in bloody murder and mayhem. Etc. Perspective, thats all I ask.

Perspective Indeed.

British Imperialism was directly responsible for the fact that during the period 1851-1911, one in three people were forced to leave the country. An abstract irrelevance? Are you insane? It had an absoutly astounding impact on the nation and on the individual.
    Culturally it demanded nothing less than that Irish people become English people, and it gained much success, forcibly changing the national language from Irish to English and continued to implement the policies of doing so after the Famine. It insisted that anything Irish was inferior, backward and immoral. Irish Language, Games, Customs etc were bog language, bog games etc.
    At any claim of a tolerant Empire, I would encourage you to examin the policies adopted and implemented when its hold over Ireland was questioned. The intolorent and downright brutal nature of British Imperialism in Ireland is all too apparent.
    It was fundemantaly, unrepentently and violently opposed to any notion of Irish freedom.

As for tolerating disent, again are we saying that The Brits really were not that bad, or are you continuing your assertation that they were much better than Independant Ireland?
    Its a largely irrelevant dichotomy to be honest, but I think you've been severely affected by Republican myth making and reality distortion. No self respecting historian would share that view.

I could just as easily come on here and lable you as a West Brit, but I don't.

You have made several suspect claims and been called on them, inferring that my perception of reality is distorted is hardly an appropriat responce, its childish at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I don't get why the OP believes that the presence of a substantial number of protestants automatically equates to the need for a unionist party in the Republic. My family is protestant and I can't think of a single one of my relatives who would feel any particular affinity with Britain. We don't hate Britain, we just aren't British we're Irish, our loyalty is to Ireland not Britain.
    What I do think however would be a good idea is better co-operation between the two countries on matters of mutual interest in Europe, perhaps under the aegis of the British-Irish Council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Yeah, they turned out in their tens of thousands to cheer on their head of state the Queen when she was in Dublin :D Maybe somebody should have told that to the 82,000 who stood for Amhrán na bhFiann before the throm in last Sunday !!!!!!

Empty O'Connell St apart from Guards greet Queen !!! http://www.ctvnews.ca/tight-security-surrounds-queen-during-historic-irish-visit-1.645406

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Ah, we are bailing out the UK bond holders banking debts as well as the Germans, French, thanks to Lenihan, Cowen, Kenny, Gilmore etc And let's not mention the extortion of the land annuites, paying ground rent to UK landlords down the decades etc
    Dubhlinner wrote: »
    I'd be up for leaving the euro and joining sterling. Bank of England rates are pretty much always more suitable to our needs than Germany's. The island's too small for two currencies imho.

Still favour political independence. no interest in joining a monarchy
    We're in the banking mess because we copied Britain's Thatcherite model of " light touch regualtion " around 2002 :rolleyes: But your right, the country is too small for two currencies, and for that matter 2 states, partition should never have happened. The NI statelet has had to be bankrolled since the day it was founded FFS :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

...the geography, the history, the culture...apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us..blah blah blah :rolleyes:

Advertisement