Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Gotta love the runner guys. One brought me to swords one evening at a frightening speed. Touching 40k at times. Baggy shorts and flappy t shirt completed the ensemble

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I often cycle in runners. Nothing wrong with them and some toe clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

BX 19 wrote: »
    ..once you have matching GAA shorts and hairy legs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Diarmuid wrote: »

I'm not entirely sure I should be admitting this, but sometimes (especially Tuesdays) I cycle in short shorts, with hairy legs.

FIGHT THE MACHINE!

Diarmuid wrote: »

Check and check.

Embrase the hairy legs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure I should be admitting this, but sometimes (especially Tuesdays) I cycle in short shorts, with hairy legs.
    Your dead to me!
    I need to find a new spot to watch the Ras now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

bcmf wrote: »
    I was seamlessy passed by a guy in full cycleways kit.
    So out on the Swords Sat morn race this morn a guy comes up to me and says to me 'Did I pass you on the road on the way home form work the other eve'
    Shi-te thinks me....Some guy has taken exception to my runners and is about to exact vengence.
    Turns out he was the guy in the cycleways kit and we had a bit of a laugh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If you do have hairy legs, is it more acceptable to wear baggy shorts or cycling shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

What's with all the prejudice against hairly legs?? You only need to shave there if you're a professional racer ffs!! :P

I thought the only advantage was that when you fall it is easier to treat and clean the wound when there's no hair there, but if you're just a leisure cyclist or commuter that doesn't happen very often!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Surinam wrote: »
    What's with all the prejudice against hairly legs?? You only need to shave there if you're a professional racer ffs!! :P

I thought the only advantage was that when you fall it is easier to treat and clean the wound when there's no hair there, but if you're just a leisure cyclist or commuter that doesn't happen very often!

You are correct. Ignore the hate. I've been sporting home grown leg warmers for years, despite all the peer pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

You don't "need" to shave them, but shaving them is clear sign of commitment to the way of life that is cycling. You might laugh but every time you go out with your hairy legs all the road cyclists look at you as an MTBer or o e of those odd touring people. You're one step away from GAA shorts and a sweat soaked World Cup 1994 t-shirt. You're a fair weather cyclist who doesn't have the cajone to fully commit.

Plus it's easier to put sunscreen on them and your bed sheets always feel fresh.

Haha :D:D

I presume the above post is in jest? [please someone tell me he's not being serious??!). I'd say it's not far off the mark of why non-pros would bother shaving their legs though - solely to be seen by other cyclists.;)

It doesn't really matter. Most of us don't really care if someone on a bike has hairy legs or not. If anyone spends time checking out whether you've hair on your legs or not, they're doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm a defender, if I shave make legs wingers won't be afraid of me, it adds to my hardness.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Surinam wrote: »

Do what you want, they're you're legs! But it also feels better, looks better and makes massage more comfortable.

Capt Havoc only doesn't shave his legs because he'd have to carry a razor on long rides to keep them smooth. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    Do what you want, they're you're legs! But it also feels better, looks better and makes massage more comfortable.

Capt Havoc only doesn't shave his legs because he'd have to carry a razor on long rides to keep them smooth. :D

Debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Debatable

On a racing bike, in lycra, it looks better. I don't know why, it just does.

Lumen wrote: »
    On a racing bike, in lycra, it looks better. I don't know why, it just does.

;);) "An inner sparkle and an outer fabulous."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Hairy legs + suncream = leg-shaped mobile fly paper, and a messy clean-up in the corpse-littered shower.

Shaved legs + few days of stubble = leg-shaped rasps, and a potentially very unhappy wife/partner.

Choices, choices.

In a way I don't get why people get so upset about the peg shaving. I understand if you are someone who still chooses to wear shorts over Lycra, there's some level of modesty involved, but wearing Lycra and "proper" cycling gear is a step beyond social norms, a commitment to a sport, or as I said earlier a way of life, what's holding people back from throwing away that last handful of dignity when on a bike? Fear of emasculation, of caring too much? If you don't shave yours, leave those who do alone. It's like going to school and being slagged off because you actually did your homework... And enjoyed it.

Oddly enough, women react in the same way. How weird it is for men to shave their legs? Odd logic there, no? I'll tell you one thing, they change their minds when they see them. Jealousy is an awful thing.

• Advertisement

If you don't shave yours, leave those who do alone.

Oddly enough, I often feel the need to point out the opposite. I cycle, with a club, and I race, on track and the road. I don't shave my legs. I'm ok with that, so stop pointing out my hairy legs and recoiling like I've announced I have contagious leprosy. I know that it makes it more painful if I crash. I don't crash all that often. I know that smooth legs makes massages easier. I can't afford that many massages. I know that suncream's easier to apply on shaven legs. But it's raining.

If you shave your legs, leave those of us who don't alone.

I know that suncream's easier to apply on shaven legs. But it's raining.

Duane Delaney, ahem! :)

I only joke about it with my unshaven brethern and it's more of a selfcouncious defence mechanism, always in jest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Memorial Shoot for JWShooter.
    RIP to a great poster with intersting opinions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056163122&page=6

Duane Delaney, ahem! :)

It was raining that morning. I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

nfl is a great sport for cycling fan, really fills gap between vuelta and start of the new season with some over lap, pity i spend late nights up watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

oringinally posted in Soccer, but may be of relevance to the discussions here on the merits of wearing / not wearing full cycling kit......

Full Kit W*nkers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Jawgap wrote: »
    oringinally posted in Soccer, but may be of relevance to the discussions here on the merits of wearing / not wearing full cycling kit......

Full Kit W*nkers

Superb `^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The Turlough Hill strava segment is in for a battering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Jawgap wrote: »

Full Kit W*nkers

Not as such. Full kit is fine when you're on a bike. You'll see very few cyclists walking around town holding shopping bags with full Garmin Baracuda kit on. The football one is a bizarre trend that only appears to be infecting Liverpool fans where the belief is held that wearing a full kit is fine for any occasion. I personally wouldn't wear a football jersey unless playing or going to a match. Normal day out in public and it's just a no!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement