Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne House Hotel - Failure to Homour Deal Voucher

Options
  • 13-09-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi,

I stayed in the Ashbourne House Hotel earlier in the year. I had purchased a 2 night’s bed and breakfast deal with a meal for two people on one night for €99 from Groupon.ie. I booked this deal Friday to Sunday in April for the girlfriend and me.

On Saturday evening at approximately 6.30pm I tried to have a shower but there was no hot water. I tried numerous times but it was still cold. At 7pm I decided to go down for dinner and watch the Dublin GAA match and Leinster Rugby match. Passing by reception I informed the receptionist of the problem in room 303. After eating dinner and watching the two games, I returned to the room to have a shower and get dressed up before heading out on Saturday night but there was still no hot water. I rang reception at approximately 9.45pm and was told they would investigate and ring me back. Five or ten minutes later I received a call telling me that a plumber was fixing it or on his way.

At 10.45pm, we could take no more as the water was still cold. I deemed this completely unacceptable as I was paying for the use of this room and expected to be able to wash before heading out! :eek: We were forced to pack our bags and check out just before 11pm; our night was ruined as it was too late to head home, shower and then head out. At reception we asked to speak to the manager who was not around. So we decided to leave both of our mobile numbers at reception, only to be promised a call on Sunday morning but this callback never transpired. We contacted the hotel on Sunday and Monday, again being promised a call back but this never happened!

At 5pm on Monday, my girlfriend rang the hotel and had to make the Manager (<SNIP>) aware of our situation and <SNIP> informed us that we are not entitled to another night's stay/complimentary meal/partial refund, etc. because the voucher was redeemed once we checked in. In addition, <SNIP> informed us that it was not the Hotel's fault that there was no hot water and sent me an email on Tuesday saying she was happy to inform me the heating was fixed! (like that was going to facilitate things) :mad:

I am aware the it was nobody's fault; likewise, it was not our fault that we were forced to leave the hotel due to unfavourable conditions. Hence, to say that this issue affected our stay is somewhat of an understatement. As previously stated, we had paid for two nights B&B and one evening meal but we could not avail of our second night's stay due to the adverse conditions.

[On a minor note, the rooms are extremely outdated and the breakfast is terrible - left out in the heaters and not cooked fresh. Also stops being replenished before 10.30am and I had a hair to accompany my scramble egg! Dinner was very nice but the desserts aren't great.]

I even threatened legal action via the Small Claims Court in order to get some sort of redress out of the Ashbourne House Hotel but they didn't care as the hotel was going up for auction and was changing ownership. This has happened since then I believe.

The hotel keeps saying that they do not get many complaints; however, I believe that good customer service is not just about the number of complaints you receive, but how you deal with the complaints that you receive. Often, you will only get one chance to resolve the issue, redeem the reputation of the company and offer a form of goodwill to compensate for the inconvenience caused. It is also key that you understand and empathise with the customer. All of which, the Ashbourne House Hotel has failed to do...

Any ideas as to how I can sort out this situation? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hotel have a duty of care to their guests, in this case the duty of care is to provide a clean room, proper heating and proper bathroom facilities if they are available to the guests.

imho not having hot water available is a failure in this duty of care and whilst they can shift blame and suggest it wasn't their fault, in this case its their heating system so they need to ensure it works properly. If it doesn't then this is their fault.

If the hotel has changed ownership since this is going to basically massively reduce the options available to you,

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

So what do you suggest? They are not replying to my emails anymore nor are they replying when I send letters via registered post?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It might be worth contacting the NCA, which announced back in July that it was looking into "deals".

Know your consumer rights
    To make sure that consumers are treated fairly, we are carrying out a review of online deal sites. If you feel you have been misled by a deal, you can contact us. It’s important to remember your consumer rights do not change because you buy something at a discounted price.

http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?a=888&n=101&p=100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

07438991 wrote: »
    So what do you suggest? They are not replying to my emails anymore nor are they replying when I send letters via registered post?

Let it go? If the owners have changed, there's probably not much that can be done.

Sent the NCA an email but they never responded... The service was not of merchantable quality or fit for the purpose if there was no hot water!

I wanted to let it go but it's the fact the hotel is up on another deal website again today offering the same deal.. That, and the Manager was such a smart arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it seems to me that you went for that deal purely to save money and not on the basis of a personal recommendation, that was your mistake.

It's time to move on and FFS stop wasting money sending them registered letters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I am aware the it was nobody's fault; likewise, it was not our fault that we were forced to leave the hotel due to unfavourable conditions.

It was not your fault - but it was your decision to check-out and forego your second nights accommodation.

You reported the lack of hot water to reception at 9:45. The hotel could reasonably claim maintenance issues arise in the normal course of events and they were making efforts to rectify the fault when you decided to ship out.

Failure to engage with your complaint reflects poorly on hotel management, though if I were you I'd leave this one be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How to sort out the situation? Get over yourself, that's how. You paid €99 for 2 nights b&b and a dinner, of which the hotel probably received less than half. What recompense are you expecting exactly for not having hot water on one of the evenings? €5? €3? Just because you threw a strop and checked out. You were not forced to leave the hotel, as you have stated. You decided to leave. Why not man up and have a cold shower for 2 minutes?

In any case the business doesn't even exist anymore, so you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

At 10.45pm, we could take no more as the water was still cold. I deemed this completely unacceptable as I was paying for the use of this room and expected to be able to wash before heading out! We were forced to pack our bags and check out just before 11pm; our night was ruined as it was too late to head home, shower and then head out.

They didn't force you to do anything, you left.

Forget about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You made the decision to leave because there wasn't hot water. It was your decision that having a shower before you went out was more important.

Hotels do occasionally have issues with their hot water supply. Imagine keeping boilers etc going in a network the size of a modern hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I think it was a serious overreaction on your part and I couldn't see the Small Claims Court being able to help.

Is there a fitness centre in the hotel? Could you have showered there?

Also you were not forced to leave, you chose to leave.

First world problem in my opinion.

I think the fact that it was a special deal is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

U left the hotel because there was no hot water!! How ridiculous.

U couldnt, god forbid, go out without a shower?!
    U couldnt take a quick shower in cold water?

I dont disagree with the fact that their should have been hot water, but these things happen too, and to be honest it didnt sound like you did a whole lot other than pack your bags and leave ie you could have went down to reception and got someone to check if there was hot water in a different room.

Man up and let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

bad experience in a hotel = tripadvisor and any other review site.
    I think a shower is an important part of the room and they should have sorted you out some way i.e. sorry, won't be fixed today, heres a free dinner for the trouble. Doesn't matter if the hotel makes 1 euro from your stay, they should provide the service you expect.
    However i think your wasting your time doing anything else at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think a shower is an important part of the room and they should have sorted you out some way i.e. sorry, won't be fixed today, heres a free dinner for the trouble. Doesn't matter if the hotel makes 1 euro from your stay, they should provide the service you expect.
    While I agree in general he called reception at 09:45PM and they called him back at 10 min later to say a plumber was on the way to fix it/fixing it. 50 min after that he decides to leave; not exactly giving the hotel an oppertunity to even fix the problem or offer compensation if it would take very long to fix. In this case I'll disagree that the OP is owed anything because he did not give the hotel a fair chance to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭enricoh

because the shower was not fixed an hour later on a saturday night u checked out - jesus wept! and u want a refund! thank god i'm not in the hospitality industry n have to listen to that
    a new owner has taken over the hotel lease and you want them to refund you for a voucher which you paid the previous owner for -words fail me! all the best in life.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    It was not your fault - but it was your decision to check-out and forego your second nights accommodation.

You reported the lack of hot water to reception at 9:45. The hotel could reasonably claim maintenance issues arise in the normal course of events and they were making efforts to rectify the fault when you decided to ship out.

Failure to engage with your complaint reflects poorly on hotel management, though if I were you I'd leave this one be.

Read my opening statement again.. I told the reception about the problem when I was passing by for dinner at about 7pm.. I had to ring them again at 9.45 because it was still not hot!!!

They didn't force you to do anything, you left.

Forget about it and move on.

Yes it did... I checked in on Friday, it was Saturday and I had work on Sunday... I needed to shower!

When I stay in a hotel for the weekend, I expect to be able to wash... Don't think that is unreasonable...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Yes it did... I checked in on Friday, it was Saturday and I had work on Sunday... I needed to shower!

When I stay in a hotel for the weekend, I expect to be able to wash... Don't think that is unreasonable...

You could have washed. There was water. If you needed to shower that desperately surely you could have just had a cold shower. There was no need to leave the hotel.

wyndham wrote: »
    How to sort out the situation? Get over yourself, that's how. You paid €99 for 2 nights b&b and a dinner, of which the hotel probably received less than half. What recompense are you expecting exactly for not having hot water on one of the evenings? €5? €3? Just because you threw a strop and checked out. You were not forced to leave the hotel, as you have stated. You decided to leave. Why not man up and have a cold shower for 2 minutes?

In any case the business doesn't even exist anymore, so you are wasting your time.

I don't think the price or deal matters. Under the sale of goods & supply of services act, the room should be fit for the purpose and the heating should of merchantable quality... I just threatened Small Claims to get a response as I was being ignored... Was never bothered going through with it for obvious reasons!

Nody wrote: »
    While I agree in general he called reception at 09:45PM and they called him back at 10 min later to say a plumber was on the way to fix it/fixing it. 50 min after that he decides to leave; not exactly giving the hotel an oppertunity to even fix the problem or offer compensation if it would take very long to fix. In this case I'll disagree that the OP is owed anything because he did not give the hotel a fair chance to fix it.

Read my opening statement again!!! I originally informed them at 7 when I passed by the reception at 7 to go for dinner... 7 to 11 is 4 hours...

Also, I wasted €70 going for dinner and having drinks waiting for it to be fixed... This just adds to my fury as they refuse to le me rebook a night or have a complimentary meal instead... The rooms & breakfast is crap, I prefer an evening meal..

• Advertisement

You could have washed. There was water. If you needed to shower that desperately surely you could have just had a cold shower. There was no need to leave the hotel.

I PM'd you so maybe you will agree with me or delete your previous post after reading my message???

TheDriver wrote: »

I agree I may be wasting my time but It's so frustrating the way I was ignored, that consumer rights exist but they are meaningless in this scenario and that it is up on other deal websites now...

Way ahead of you on the Tripadvisor thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I PM'd you so maybe you will agree with me or delete your previous post after reading my message???
    why should he delete his message

His comment is very fair.
    You could have washed using cold water.
    I've done it myself manys a time at my parents when the immersion heater wasnt switched on in time !! Not pleasant but if you have to you will.

Anyhow, if its now sold the new owner will not have to honour any vouchers or anything from the old management and presumably they are also not responsible for claims and restitution for things that happened under the old ownership and management

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I can't believe this, Leaving a hotel at almost midnight because there was no hot water. Are you actually for real?

You are dead right. If you are staying in a hotel you should be able to wash, but you could have enquired about showering in another room, a room transfer or even upgrade, showering in the leisure centre. Im sure there were plenty of options.

Most people actually have a shower in the morning before they go to work, and not the night before before they go out on the town.
    I don't think the price or deal matters. Under the sale of goods & supply of services act, the room should be fit for the purpose and the heating should of merchantable quality... I just threatened Small Claims to get a response as I was being ignored... Was never bothered going through with it for obvious reasons!

the obvious reason being they would have laughed at you
    Read my opening statement again!!! I originally informed them at 7 when I passed by the reception at 7 to go for dinner... 7 to 11 is 4 hours...

Also, I wasted €70 going for dinner and having drinks waiting for it to be fixed... This just adds to my fury as they refuse to le me rebook a night or have a complimentary meal instead... The rooms & breakfast is crap, I prefer an evening meal..

dont think the lack of hot water has anything to do with you wasting €70 on dinner and drinks. that was your choice, and i imagine, you had planned to go out for dinner and drinks anyway!

why should he delete his message

His comment is very fair.
    You could have washed using cold water.
    I've done it myself manys a time at my parents when the immersion heater wasnt switched on in time !! Not pleasant but if you have to you will.

Anyhow, if its now sold the new owner will not have to honour any vouchers or anything from the old management and presumably they are also not responsible for claims and restitution for things that happened under the old ownership and management

His commentary was fair but he was not aware of all facts.. Similar to yourself.., but I have PM'd you too.

Bit of a difference between you staying in your parents house and me staying in a hotel with my gf... Apples & oranges mate.

I agree that I'm wasting time but don't like being screwed... What's the point of consumer rights if they can just ignore me until they go for auction and change ownership...

Don't loose track, the issue is what should I do (like any good suggestions)? Not whether I should have washed with hot or cold water..

stevieob wrote: »
    I can't believe this, Leaving a hotel at almost midnight because there was no hot water. Are you actually for real?

You are dead right. If you are staying in a hotel you should be able to wash, but you could have enquired about showering in another room, a room transfer or even upgrade, showering in the leisure centre. Im sure there were plenty of options.

RESPONSE - All rooms where without hot water! No leisure facility.. Plenty of options???

Most people actually have a shower in the morning before they go to work, and not the night before before they go out on the town.

RESPONSE - I agree but what certainty did I have that there would be hot water in the morning??? I already waited 4 hrs... Thought it be best to leave so I am guaranteed to be able to wash for work...

the obvious reason being they would have laughed at you

RESPONSE - it was to get them to respond... And the obvious reson is the time, cost, etc... Somethings mean more than money, such as principle..

dont think the lack of hot water has anything to do with you wasting €70 on dinner and drinks. that was your choice, and i imagine, you had planned to go out for dinner and drinks anyway!

RESPONSE - I had planned to eat, wash and head out with my gf.. Not waste money eating and den head home at 11pm

Responses above

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't loose track, the issue is what should I do (like any good suggestions)? Not whether I should have washed with hot or cold water..

I honestly think you should let it go, but if you do want to pursue it further, then you should write a registered letter of complaint to the Hotel Manager.

I don't think you have any grounds for Consumer Law here, all you can hope for is goodwill on the part of the hotel.

dudara wrote: »
    I honestly think you should let it go, but if you do want to pursue it further, then you should write a registered letter of complaint to the Hotel Manager.

I don't think you have any grounds for Consumer Law here, all you can hope for is goodwill on the part of the hotel.

Registered letter of compliant sent twice and twice as an attachment in an email but no response. The next step is the Small Claims Court which I don't want to go down..

There was a breach in service standards under Consumer Law but I agree that it is probably a matter of goodwill for the new owners but they should also be aware of the customer service of the Manager (if it is the same person).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

But you had a contract with the previous owners so if you to the Small Claims Court, you'll be bringing a case against (presumably) a non existing entity - what's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The next step is the Small Claims Court which I don't want to go down.

The hotel are clearly unmoved by your demands - leaving the SCC as your only option.

Bear in mind however, the SCC has a habit of applying the law with a fair degree of common sense - something your perspective on this whole affair seems to be lacking.

- Your rights were not trampled upon through lack of hot water, you were temporarily inconvenienced.

- The hotel did not deny you a second night, your own decision did.

Advertisement