Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pussy Riot and Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Lol,

All I see here is a random attack on the left.

By the way, I supplied polls earlier that correlated to a desire among the Russian public to either:

A: See serious punishment (incarceration for at least a year)
    or
    B: Moderate punishment amounting to community service, a large fine et al.

So technically a popular will has been expressed here. Maybe not our popular will, but of the Russians? You bet. If I'm honest, this case never really had much attention in Russia aside from the usual "opposition" figures deifying the girls.
    This doesn;t change the fact that two years in the gulag is very harsh (though I presume they may have priors from previous actions though don;t know)

The Gulag system was abolished over 50 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Changed my post a bit, sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Higher wrote: »
    If the lead singer wasn't so attractive this would have been a non-story irrespective of Putin's OTT reaction.

I have my doubts on that.

Two years for this is farcical, I might add.

....yet could also be seen as a convenient cover for sniping at left wing sympathies generally, using these unfortunate young women as a vehicle.

• Advertisement

The Guardian have been obsessed with the Pussy Riot trial these last few weeks. Basically all their news on Russia consists of following this one trial. They smell an opportunity to Putinbash like a shark smells blood!

My opinion-

Two years is too much. Way too much. Whether or not Putin twiddled his evil octopus-tentacles to get this sentence handed down, I don't know. Maybe the judges intended to impress him in some way or another? We can only guess. I doubt the women will fill their full sentence, but time will tell.

I'm sure Putin is delighted with retaining the strong Orthodox electorate in his camp, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Two years is too much but they are attention seeking clowns so I have no sympathy, absolutely no reason to disrespect peoples church like that.

You just have to listen to the leaders husband on ch4 news today, new age hippies getting their comeuppance and don't like the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

Higher wrote: »
    If the lead singer wasn't so attractive this would have been a non-story irrespective of Putin's OTT reaction.

Take her if you want, she scares the shiite out of me. I've seen her referred to as 'Russia's Jane Fonda', which is unfair as she's far better looking and more intelligent than Fonda. It's a pity that she couldn't apply herself to something more constructive than museum orgies and church sacrilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Take her if you want, she scares the shiite out of me. I've seen her referred to as 'Russia's Jane Fonda', which is unfair as she's far better looking and more intelligent than Fonda. It's a pity that she couldn't apply herself to something more constructive than museum orgies and church sacrilege.

It's Nadezhda Tolokonnikova people are referring to here, I assume? Tbh the bit in bold makes me even more attracted to her.

And in all seriousness, this is a disgraceful judgement, but sadly one that is very far from having no precedent in Russia or the wider world.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Two years is too much but they are attention seeking clowns so I have no sympathy, absolutely no reason to disrespect peoples church like that.

You just have to listen to the leaders husband on ch4 news today, new age hippies getting their comeuppance and don't like the consequences.

....you see theres this thing about punishment being commensurate to the crime. Nor do I see how your labelling of the husband of one of them has any bearing on the procedings.

• Advertisement

Weird signals coming from the Orthodox Church:

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=9740
    Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has asked the Russian authorities "to show mercy within the law towards the convicted" Pussy Riot members in the hope that they will renounce a repeat of blasphemous actions, the Supreme Church Council said in a statement issued in Moscow on Friday.

Vladimir Lukin, Human Rights Ombudsman for Russia, says:
    ...he would consider a possible appeal from the Pussy Riot members.

And that he made clear this consideration to Putin, who "heard him".

http://rbth.ru/articles/2012/08/16/putin_hears_ombudsman_opinion_about_pussy_riot_case_17420.html

(though I presume they may have priors from previous actions though don;t know)

Last January they protested Putin in Red Square and were arrested for unauthorized demonstration, held a couple of hours, fined and then set free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    And that he made clear this consideration to Putin, who "heard him".

He couldn't sound more subservient if he tried

He couldn't sound more subservient if he tried

Actually, Putin said he "heard him", not Lukin.

One minute Gary Kasparov is being interviewed by foregin media, the next he's being bundled into a bus by police. I wasn't a fan of what Pussy Riot did but I've nothing but admiration for people who protest on the street. Doing that in Russia is a far different thing to doing it in London or New York especially given the new draconian fining laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Worztron

One minute Gary Kasparov is being interviewed by foregin media, the next he's being bundled into a bus by police. I wasn't a fan of what Pussy Riot did but I've nothing but admiration for people who protest on the street. Doing that in Russia is a far different thing to doing it in London or New York especially given the new draconian fining laws.

It was discraceful the way they hauled Garry Kasparov away. They gave no reason. I guess even saying the slightest thing against Putin or his government is now forbidden.
    I think the fines for protesting are even worse in other European countries.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Pro-Pussy Riot demonstrators arrested in Marseille
    Demonstrators protesting at Russia’s jailing of punk band Pussy Riot were arrested by police in the southern French city of Marseille for breaking France’s controversial law against face-covering garments.

France’s foreign ministry described Pussy Riot’s balaclava-clad performance in a Moscow church as “minor acts” and, like the US, Germany, the UK and several other countries, condemned the verdict as an attack on the freedom of expression.

But protesters in Marseille who donned balaclavas in solidarity with the three young women - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich – were rounded up after just 10 minutes outside the Russian consulate in the city, the local paper La Provence reports.

http://www.english.rfi.fr/europe/20120818-pro-pussy-riot-demonstrators-arrested-marseille

Excuse me while I barf from the nauseating hypocrisy emanating from the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

cyberhog wrote: »

http://www.english.rfi.fr/europe/20120818-pro-pussy-riot-demonstrators-arrested-marseille

Good old cyberhog, never misses a chance to have a go at the West. Surprised you didn't manage to work Israel and the US into the post, but I'm sure you'll manage it somehow. Just for you, I'll point out that the protestors in Frnce were not arrested for protesting but for covering their faces in a public, in contravention of a law which was designed to safeguard women's rights. It's not a law I agree with, but it bears no comparison to what happened and happens in Russia, where speaking against Putin and the government is risky business indeed. It's really quite increible how your entire political agenda, and it seems sometimes, your moral compass, is predicated entirely on having a go at the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

You are from the West. You subscribe to internet via the corporate west, wear clothes manufactured by big bad capitalist organisations, you eat western food, consume western goods, are (presumably) educated in western system, participate in western functionality in every aspect but military and government.
    You are a "westerner".

If you can't tell the difference between public order offences and the story in question, then as per usual, far too subjectively and myopically so.
    Typical for a "westerner" really
    Change the record, whoever you are. Getting tedious.

Funny, I can't remember a similar incident in "the West". You'll doubtless be able to remind me of one.

• Advertisement

I see the usual apologists and head-in-the-sand types are working double time in this thread... getting their panties worked up over the exposure of Western hypocrisy.

You lot think Western leaders are not hypocrites? Then lets see you try to explain away the following news story.

Bahrain Imprisons Human Rights Leader for 3 years

Joe Stork, Human Rights Watch deputy director for its Middle East/North Africa division, said:

"The government has yet to show that Nabeel Rajab did any more than exercise his right to free expression and peaceful assembly. He should be set free, not sent away from his family to prison."

Human Rights First director Brian Dooley said:

"Even those of us who have followed Bahrain's violent crackdown on human rights are shocked by today's move," he said. "It's a breathtakingly bad decision, showing that the regime's rhetoric about reform and reconciliation is a sham. The charges are patently politically-motivated, and designed to silence him."

The West has made a big fuss about the sentence handed down to the degenerate hooligans of Pussy Riot but not a word about 3 year sentence imposed on a true champion of human rights.

Rajab explains below why the Western hypocrites are silent.
    In a video interview shortly before his arrest last month, Mr. Rajab told the Irish human rights group Front Line Defenders that the presence of the United States Navy’s Fifth Fleet, which is based in Bahrain, made the struggle against the monarchy more difficult. “Because they have the support of the United States, they have the support, or the silence, of the international community, that is seen here as a green signal, that’s why they are proceeding — more repression, more attacks against human rights defenders.”

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/bahrain-sentences-activist-to-3-years-in-prison-for-inciting-protests/

In other news British trained Bahraini forces have beaten to death a 16-year-old boy.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/bahrain-boy-killed-in-clashes-with-police/story-fn3dxix6-1226453110771

And as usual there is no condemnation from the West.

The West has made a big fuss about the sentence handed down to the degenerate hooligans ....................

"degenerate"? Do please explain what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

Supporting Pussy Riot is safe, even if they are called Pussy Riot. It allows people to show how opposed they are to the sacred being protected by law or anything else that implies respect for the Christian tradition. Blasphemy laws are almost always impossible to frame or enforce, premeditated political stunts in church are an exception. I wonder how many celebrities will be outraged by THIS, a clear example of real injustice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Yes 'cyberhog', tilt it all you like, you big bad westerner you.
    Moral relativism doesn't actually make your ill-informed post any more credible. Just as hypocritical as you slam others as being.

cyberhog, please keep the debate focused on Russia.
    You are from the West. You subscribe to internet via the corporate west, wear clothes manufactured by big bad capitalist organisations, you eat western food, consume western goods, are (presumably) educated in western system, participate in western functionality in every aspect but military and government.
    You are a "westerner".

Sorry but does that really matter? I presume he meant western governments, just saying. Not agreeing with his attempt to change the subject or anything but your random assault isn't really much better.
    in contravention of a law which was designed to safeguard women's rights.

Well no. It was designed to make France more secular actually.

Aaaaanyway...

Anyone think there is a chance of the girls getting a pardon?
    The West has made a big fuss about the sentence handed down to the degenerate hooligans

Although many people I know term me as a Putin-lover, I would not term Pussy Riot as "degenerate".

Some things the girls were involved in when they were members of the group "Voina" were pretty disgusting though, such as organising an orgy between several couples in a public museum and recording it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

JustinDee wrote: »
    You are a "westerner".

Wow, some profound food for thought there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I see the usual apologists and head-in-the-sand types are working double time in this thread... getting their panties worked up over the exposure of Western hypocrisy.

You lot think Western leaders are not hypocrites? Then lets see you try to explain away the following news story.

Bahrain Imprisons Human Rights Leader for 3 years

The West has made a big fuss about the sentence handed down to the degenerate hooligans of Pussy Riot but not a word about 3 year sentence imposed on a true champion of human rights.

Rajab explains below why the Western hypocrites are silent.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/bahrain-sentences-activist-to-3-years-in-prison-for-inciting-protests/

In other news British trained Bahraini forces have beaten to death a 16-year-old boy.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/bahrain-boy-killed-in-clashes-with-police/story-fn3dxix6-1226453110771

And as usual there is no condemnation from the West.

I condemn all that cyberhog. All right-minded people should do so. The difference though, is that I condemn things that are wrong, you condemn only that which fits in with your anti-Western ideology. Hence, you're the true hypocrite.

On a side note: I noticed while reading an article on this story that Russia was downgraded last year to the ranking of "authoritarian state" in the Democracy Index. This places them below such bastions of democracy as Pakistan, Venezuela, Cambodia and Niger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

On a side note: I noticed while reading an article on this story that Russia was downgraded last year to the ranking of "authoritarian state" in the Democracy Index. This places them below such bastions of democracy as Pakistan, Venezuela, Cambodia and Niger.

Hmmm there the same people that do those liveability indexes aren't they, I'm not saying its necessarily wrong but I've a deep dislike of simple lists and metrics that are developed by private companies and which rely heavily on 'expert opinions' rather than on the quantifiable information and open methods.

I'm curious about peoples views on this,is the general opinion that they should have been charged but not punished so severely? or that this is a valid protest even though it was located inside a religious building while a service was ongoing.

I also don;t believe that judicial over reaction is restricted to more authoritarian regimes, look at some of the sentences handed down in the english riots, 4 years for creating a facebook page encouraging people to riot (while drunk and removed the next day!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/17/facebook-cases-criticism-riot-sentences

• Advertisement

cyberhog, please keep the debate focused on Russia.

Well I happen to think it's relevant to point out that Western criticism of the Pussy Riot sentence stinks of hypocrisy.
    I would not term Pussy Riot as "degenerate".

Having sex with a frozen chicken in a supermarket clearly meets the definition.

degeneracy
    3. Corrupt, vulgar, vicious behavior, especially sexual perversion.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/degeneracy

Advertisement