Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pussy Riot and Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Firstly, she was not an unknown so again, less subjectivity in your remote source material would be advisable. Dismissing one of the media she published with as 'tabloid' is also trite and woefully misleading.
    You'd need more than a cherry-picked blogger from the States to disprove some of her and other journalists' findings.

Her words didn't hold much weight in Russia. Her main body of work was against corruption and abuse in the army during Chechnya. Her criticism of Putin is just a sideshow compared to this. Novaya Gazeta had characteristics of a tabloid newpaper, too (calling it a tabloid doesn't completely condemn the journalists who have posted in it.) Added to this, I didn't call her unknown, I said she had little renown among Russians, most of whom were supporters of Putin and didn't want to listen to what she had to say. Stop twisting my words.

She had greater impact in the west than she did in Russia, and as usual, western media outlets overplayed her role in Russian journalism (much like media outlets here describe Gary Kasparov as an "opposition figure" although he has little leverage in Russia).
    So what? And all in a post where you bleat about "tabloids" too? lol

Well, because you have cited numerous critics of Putin who seem to inspire your line of thinking. Simply listing journalists who agree with you won't convert me over to your point of view. "Go read Luke Harding" is, frankly, a lazy excuse for not contributing to debate.
    You'd need more than a cherry-picked blogger from the States to disprove some of her and other journalists' findings.

Get off your high horse. You just cherry picked several journalists to make a point five seconds ago. Adomanis is a journalist for Forbes.
    One of the many journalists who cover news, political and current affairs of the Russian state.

Don't take what he says as fact just because he is a journalist..even then, there are many jounalists who would have an opposing point of view to Harding.

In fairness, i'm wasting my time as usual perpetuating static arguments over sources, or whatever. I'd like a decent debate over the subject matter, and not mudslinging because I read Adomanis from time to time. I'm sorry that my sources aren't good enough for you, but honestly, I don't give a flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't accept the narrative that these girls are imprisoned for 'daring to criticize Putin', he's constantly being ridiculed in new media as well as some old media. I would think that in most countries such a stunt would be subject to some form of legal sanction(at least in a liberal democracy that guarantees religious freedom). At this stage the best outcome would be a sentence of time already served.

There is no right to disrupt a religious service... I cannot remember Miss Ciccone storming a cathedral to vent her anger at the Catholic Church but I am looking forward to seeing the video of Sting storming the Al-Aqsa mosque and singing 'Don't stand so close to me'.

They didn't disrupt a service, there were only a handful of people in the church. And if the church won't keep away from politics, they can't complain if politics won't keep away from the church.

goose2005 wrote: »
    They didn't disrupt a service, there were only a handful of people in the church. And if the church won't keep away from politics, they can't complain if politics won't keep away from the church.

The lyrics of the protest weren't aimed at the church though..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Her words didn't hold much weight in Russia. Her main body of work was against corruption and abuse in the army during Chechnya. Her criticism of Putin is just a sideshow compared to this. Novaya Gazeta had characteristics of a tabloid newpaper, too (calling it a tabloid doesn't completely condemn the journalists who have posted in it.) Added to this, I didn't call her unknown, I said she had little renown among Russians, most of whom were supporters of Putin and didn't want to listen to what she had to say. Stop twisting my words.
    She had greater impact in the west than she did in Russia, and as usual, western media outlets overplayed her role in Russian journalism (much like media outlets here describe Gary Kasparov as an "opposition figure" although he has little leverage in Russia).
    I really can't see how you can even begin to qualify this regurgitated tilt as anyway close to credible. Who on earth are you to say how renowned she was in Russia? She was a foremost critic on the occupation in Chechnya ffs. You can bet your keyster she was known.
    Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Well, because you have cited numerous critics of Putin who seem to inspire your line of thinking. Simply listing journalists who agree with you won't convert me over to your point of view. "Go read Luke Harding" is, frankly, a lazy excuse for not contributing to debate
    Its what you're doing. A reciprocation. You're quoting a blog from 1000s of kms away on a subject 1000s of km away. Mark Hendrickson still writes for Forbe as does Jerry Boyer. Does this make it the be all and end all? Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE -

Can folks stop sniping please?

Also, if this turns into the same 'are they or are they not a dictator' argument that pops up like clockwork in threads on Syria, I'm closing the thread because it is just going to descend into the same old trench warfare and it is beyond tiresome at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Whether it's a mafia run state or not, I'm not sure. There have been allegations along those lines by a lot of people, people who know Russia far better than anyone on this thread, experts on Russia for example.

However, there is certainly an establishment in Russia that knows how to scratch each others backs and such establishment are certainly not confined to Russia, we had similar FF centred establisment in Ireland for most of our history, ie judges appointed by FF, the media/RTE under the control of FF, FF related broadcasters, newspapers that were pro FF, banks that were pro FF and so on, a religion that was cozy with FF. I am not trying to derail the thread, just giving a flavour of how establishments work all over the world.

To me it seems Pussy Riot were a victim of the Russian establishment. The nature of such establishments is they become more entrenched as the years go by, and formulate laws in parliament to suit them.

Let's be honest, freedom of speech, protest and of the media is severaly limited in Russia.

You criticise a member of the Russian establishment at your peril and there are countless cases of people suffering at the hands of the Russian establishment.

Let's be honest, freedom of speech, protest and of the media is severaly limited in Russia.

Freedom of speech is generally respected. The only time censorship was introduced was in response to extremism. Freedom to protest is also respected. The only time protests are broken up is when Limonov's lunatics get out of hand and cause anarchy. The fact that there were protests of 100,000 people only a few months ago is largely testament to this respect.

Television media is largely state-owned but there are many, many independent newspapers and the internet is very free. The fact is, there are so many media outlets in Russia the government (in the words of Medvedev) "couldn't control all of them even if they wanted to". Russia still is behind western nations when it comes to these things however.

In general, it's not perfect, but its not severely limited either. During the Chechen wars, however, it was a different story.

The only place in Russia where freedom of speech, assembly and the media is not respected is in Chechnya, which, in a strange way, is an understandable reaction to the chaos over there.
    You criticise a member of the Russian establishment at your peril and there are countless cases of people suffering at the hands of the Russian establishment.

But is that certain repression state-sanctioned or not? Politicians with a grudge against a journalist could use their connections to make their life hell, but is that not just a problem with the rule of law in Russia rather than with government policy?
    However, there is certainly an establishment in Russia that knows how to scratch each others backs and such establishment are certainly not confined to Russia, we had similar FF centred establisment in Ireland for most of our history, ie judges appointed by FF, the media/RTE under the control of FF, FF related broadcasters, newspapers that were pro FF, banks that were pro FF and so on, a religion that was cozy with FF.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

they should get done for a public order offence or trespassing at the most

everyone has there right to protest

they should get done for a public order offence or trespassing at the most

everyone has there right to protest

Community service is really the harshest thing they should get. We'll see on the 17th!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Pussy Riot come across as a bunch of attention-whores who did something ridiculously offensive purely for shock value (they're also terrible musicians). What exactly did they think was going to happen? The Russian justice system is not renowned for its leniancy. They're basically a bunch of idiot hooligans who in the west would probably be fined and made do some community service. Now they're being paraded in a cage in court and made into the poster girls for the anti-Putin side which is a real shame since there are many others out there who are more deserving of the attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

Pussy Riot come across as a bunch of attention-whores who did something ridiculously offensive purely for shock value (they're also terrible musicians). What exactly did they think was going to happen? The Russian justice system is not renowned for its leniancy. They're basically a bunch of idiot hooligans who in the west would probably be fined and made do some community service. Now they're being paraded in a cage in court and made into the poster girls for the anti-Putin side which is a real shame since there are many others out there who are more deserving of the attention.

Putin will be happy when after their release they are elevated to be the official voice of the opposition.

Putin will be happy when after their release they are elevated to be the official voice of the opposition.

Lol yes he will. They steal the publicity of Navalny etc. Navalny is much more important to Russia because he aids the elimination of corruption which must be one of the Russian state's highest priorities in the next decade or so. I wouldn't, however, like to see him in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Russian band Pussy Riot luckier than it realizes
    Tuesday, August 14
    By Peter Worthington
    In Stalin’s time, or even in the fading days of Sovietism, there’d be no publicity, no public trial, no knowledge even of the girls staging a political protest inside a cathedral. They’d just disappear.

Today in Russia — imprecise and fragile as their allegiance to democracy and freedom is — people can criticize the leadership. Newspapers can rail against Putin. Scandals like the crew of a nuclear submarine being drunk appear in newspapers, which would be unheard of in the relatively recent past.

The Pussy Riot girls likely have no appreciation of how lucky they are.

The oldest of then was six when the Soviet Union collapsed, and the Russian Mafia ruled the economy until Putin restored something resembling order and rule of law.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/14/russian-band-pussy-riot-luckier-than-it-realizes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

All three guilty of 'hooliganism motivated by religious hatred', and given 2 years in jail.

Cries of 'shame!' from the public in the courtroom. Shame indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19297373

They will probably end up serving half of that anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

If the lead singer wasn't so attractive this would have been a non-story irrespective of Putin's OTT reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I find the judgement primitive

Judge Marina Syrova convicted the women of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred, saying they had "crudely undermined social order".

There are certainly some types of people that value the concept of a pecking order as they invest their identity and self worth in addition to their material well being into it. However a conceptual attack or expression of protest on the so called social order shouldn't necessitate a 2 year jail sentence. However that being said, the quintessential ancient human drive for established lines of heirarchy and coercion, deriving perhaps, from a shared ancestry with Chimpanzees, means that challenges to the social order invite extreme oftentimes farcical and hilarious reactions. Hence I find the judgement to reflect typical instinctual drives towards maintaining the social order in conjunction with playing up to the demands of humans who prize it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise that one or two would bring Che into this - I mean WTF is the relevance? You might as well go and say 'In the time of Franco..., in the time of Stalin... in the time of Cromwell..., in the time of Botha...'

Weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

And if he wasn't so goddam photogenic (swoon)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

How do you know he didn't?

I think you really mean 'In this day and age with instant communications, accessibility through the use of social media and joe bloggs commentary, the likes of Che Guervara would not be so liked as he is today'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Harsh unjust sentence. Good job all those who publicised the case there was a demo on O'Connell St about it this morning fair play to them. Could have been a lot worse without all the attention ordinary citizens around the world focused on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

That's the bit where your point becomes moot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

3 young women who dare to stand up to establishment by 'dancing' and get 2 years in jail. What a stupid bunch of savages humans are incarcerating these young people.

The head of the russian church has stated that putin was appointed by God which just goes to show how myth orientated these people have been brought up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Lantus wrote: »
    3 young women who dare to stand up to establishment by 'dancing' and get 2 years in jail. What a stupid bunch of savages humans are incarcerating these young people.

The head of the russian church has stated that putin was appointed by God which just goes to show how myth orientated these people have been brought up to be.

The whole charity and forgiveness bits of the bible must have passed them by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

TBH is this all not a bit of a non story really where it matters, inside Russia, was there not a broad consensus among opinion polls that they should be punished (now obviously that not saying that courts should follow the will of the people but it does matter in terms of politics).
    Has anyone really had their mind changed by this, either here or in the west, those that think Putin is a thug thought it before this case, those that think he's a "strong leader" etc will still think it.
    To me the coverage brings to mind the velvet revolution coverage overly simplistic and ignoring complexities and opinions on the ground (I'm no expert on Russia btw)

As i said in AH I don;t think these art student based PopArt/Spirit of 1968 style protests and movements ever really achieve anything

This doesn;t change the fact that two years in the gulag is very harsh (though I presume they may have priors from previous actions though don;t know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

When is this not the case though?

Rosa Parks wasn't the first black woman to be arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white person; a few weeks earlier, a teenage girl was arrested for the same thing. But Parks was a middle aged schoolteacher heading home from work, while the teenage girl was pregnant out of wedlock; i.e. Parks was a more 'respectable' face to put on the movement.

This isn't just a tactic of the left either: look at the whole 'Joe the Plumber' nonsense from the 2008 election: here was a white, working class guy who hard earned money was going to be taken away by liberals who were just going to spend it on welfare for people who didn't want to work. Republican spin doctors could not have dreamed up a better figurehead to rally behind in that election.

Advertisement