Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Winnings from today's draw; €0
    Winnings on €1k since June 2012 €75

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Read all of this thread today!

Very Good PBWinner.

Now I'm gonna get Prize Bonds.

Seems like nobody in this thread has got over €75 except one boardsie.

But I'm Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I've never won more than 75 euro.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a scam, i.e., that there are no bigger prizes or that they are awarded to 'certain' people?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dman15333

smeedyova wrote: »
    I've never won more than 75 euro.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a scam, i.e., that there are no bigger prizes or that they are awarded to 'certain' people?

There is about €350 million euro in prizebonds, 56000000 units, and their is about 35,000-40,000 winners each month and there is only 16 prizes bigger than €75 so there is 16 numbers picked out of 56,000,000, so you would want to be quite lucky to get anything over €75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

dman15333 wrote: »
    There is about €350 million euro in prizebonds, 56000000 units, and their is about 35,000-40,000 winners each month and there is only 16 prizes bigger than €75 so there is 16 numbers picked out of 56,000,000, so you would want to be quite lucky to get anything over €75

But that doesn't mean that it isn't a scam. Nobody on here seems to know even one single person who has won more than €75. Now, I find that very strange.

In a related topic, did you see today about the NAMA official who bought himself a NAMA house which hadn't even been advertised for sale? It's not impossible that the same sort of activity is going in with prizebonds.

• Advertisement

dman15333 wrote: »

It's actually 16 prizes per week. 10 x €250, 5 x €1000, 1 x €20000 which adds up to €27,500 per week.
    Then there is also €1 million given out each month too.
    So, that means 65 people out of the 34,000 (0.2%) winners each month get €1,110,000 out of the €3,625,000 (30%) given out each month.

It is largely unbalanced. Why should 0.2% get 30% of the prize money. What's even worse is that one person gets 27.6% of the prize money.

To be fair not everybody is gonna be saying ''I won €20,000 or a €1,000,000'' from Prize bonds to a boardsie.

If there is only 16 prizes above €250 per month that is very few people.

Also for people who have prize bonds that are deceased 'dead' and relations who don't know anything about the deceased persons bonds those bonds are still in the draw every week.
    People who bought Prize Bonds years ago probably don't care about them anymore so don't check how they are faring out.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

To be fair not everybody is gonna be saying ''I won €20,000 or a €1,000,000'' from Prize bonds to a boardsie.

QUOTE]

True enough but more worrying is nobody on here knows any of the ~3.5 million population who did win big either ... .or the emigrants overseas who also hold bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

just on the prize bonds, do they inform you when you win or do you have to chase them up on it? I reckon a lot of people forget about the prize bonds/lost the certs etc and never claim their prize

I intend to buy Prize Bonds and if I win anything 'A BIG IF' I intend to put the winnings back into Prize Bonds.

For the sake of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Any time we won €75, we got a letter of congratulations, with a detachable cheque on the bottom of the page, so you don't have to send away your prize bonds at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

But that doesn't mean that it isn't a scam. Nobody on here seems to know even one single person who has won more than €75. Now, I find that very strange.

In a related topic, did you see today about the NAMA official who bought himself a NAMA house which hadn't even been advertised for sale? It's not impossible that the same sort of activity is going in with prizebonds.

I had a grand and half in PBs for over a year. Nothing. A friend had them for only a short while and won almost 15k IIRC. Can't remember the exact prize but its back about 10 years and he's not known for lying. So perhaps it was €20k. Again, purely hearsay. But he's a canny hoor and attracts money.

I too believe in scams in our lotteries. ANd I believe it is of course entirely possible with PBs, like any other draw. But yes, I do know someone who won big (relative to €75).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Winnings today: €75
    Winnings on €1,000 since February 2012: €75

Got home today to find a cheque from the Prize Bonds people - Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €75
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €675

Winnings today: €75
    Winnings on €1,000 since February 2012: €75

Got home today to find a cheque from the Prize Bonds people - Yay!
    So you won it last Friday then? The draw only happens at 12:00 on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2012 on €12k: €75

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Winnings from today €0

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Total winnings since October 2008 on €18K: €1050

Date of last win: July 13th 2012

pbwinner wrote: »
    Winnings from today's draw: €75

'Winning'

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

My Gran won 5K in Circa 1975.
    My Cousin won 25K in 1970 - Built a house and had $ left over.

• Advertisement

Winnings from Fridays draw €0
    Winnings on 1k since June 2012 €75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I know somebody who won €20,000 late last year, had bought €30,000 in PB's a couple of months previously, this was his second win (first €75).

Purchased Prize Bonds today in the Post Office.

When filling in the Prize Bond form I thought they wanted a PPS Number?
    But it seems not

Did they ever want a PPS number on the form as I heard/seen somewhere that they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I think they might be asking for your Holders Number, which you get when you first purchase some bonds. Haven't got an application form to hand so can't confirm. Anyway, hope you have more luck with your new bonds than I've had so far!

p.s. Mods - do I get a prize for starting what has become the most popular topic in Investments & Markets? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Total winnings since October 2008 on €18K: €1050

Date of last win: July 13th 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Total winnings since Feb 2012 on €12k: €75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Winnings from todays draw: €0

Total winnings since Feb 2010 on €500: €150
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €50: €0

Winnings from today's draw €0
    Winnings in €1k since June 2012 €75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

jon1981 wrote: »
    Total winnings since Jan 2011 on 3.5k : 0

:(

That's a hell of a lot more than I've ever won. :rolleyes:

I have almost twice that amount in there for the last three years and I've never won a cent. I'm taking my funds out this week and putting them on deposit.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement