Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Can't see any truth in this. Your friends talking on FB is hardly proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

J o e wrote: »

looks like theres a new superintendent in town and is enforcing the law where it wasnt enforced before. Hope it doesnt lead to people loosing jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

phanley wrote: »
    havent found any links online except for my friends chatter on facebook!

So you trust facebook chatter instead of Boards for information, for shame!!!

Go friend a Gekko or something suitably Facebooky :D

Rumours that they finally noticed on Facebook....but how can you tell?? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the other thread on same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Carbon closed at 12.30 on Tuesday. Went to Front Door, twas closed. Dáil closed at around 1.15 I think. Quays were closing soon after. Not that Tuesdays are any good anyway, but it could be very damaging to business if it becomes a regular occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A lot of Supers rattle the sabre every so often by blocking 2am/2.30am exemptions but it rarely lasts long.

prohibition.png

I certainly hope it does not last long...

One of the reasons advanced for the demise of Salthill's late night club scene in the 80's was a Garda super on a mission from God to curb Ireland's drinking habits.

The same could happen again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

If this goes on for any length of time it will really kill the town. One thing Galway always has is a vibrant bit of night life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Can't see any truth in this. Your friends talking on FB is hardly proof of this.

Heard it from a friend who went out for the service night out on Tuesday. Couldn't get in anywhere. What a kicker to the people who put up with crap over the festival period, they get their turn and it's stopped.

I typed up a long rambling non-sensible rant:

http://thecityfathers.com/2012/08/09/governing-galway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

This new garda that everyone is on about reminds me of this lad

cute.png

I heard from a number of people that attempts were made to try and get Supermacs to close early also. Could just be one of those rumours that springs up but wouldn't be too far fetched considering the pubs and clubs being closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

I heard from a number of people that attempts were made to try and get Supermacs to close early also. Could just be one of those rumours that springs up but wouldn't be too far fetched considering the pubs and clubs being closed.

Lol.. This is getting ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

So , sould go out to nite two njoy late night bars ? are will thay be CLOSED again

What going happen FRI / SAT ?

Galway dont love it .....

this would only happen in Ireland .... Drinking law for PUB/CLUBS so old , out date and not up to EU standers ....

Kick all out same time .... FIGHT CLUB ..... and Regular Burger please

So whats the story???

Seemingly every single bar/club in Galway that was opening late on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday did so without an exemption/licence???

Did one single bar/club ANYWHERE survive the spot of gentle legal enforcement...coz like roysh..they actually had a licence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

prhobition-we-want-beer-parade.jpg

There is only one answer to this madness... Picket the Garda Station !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

From what I've heard, these extensions cost a few hundred euro a night. It's no shock that people are not spending as much money as before and pubs/clubs are already struggling, so they are losing more money, and by them closing earlier staff are losing hours, people are left out on the street. I think it's a bit ridiculous to now enforcing these laws.

What's gonna happen when all the students go back to Galway if this keeps continuing? Either a lot of clubs/pubs will eventually have to shut forcing more people out of work, or people will just find other places to drink.

And please don't start about Ireland's drink culture, it's not going to suddenly change overnight that people won't mind that they have to go home earlier.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

There is only one answer to this madness... Picket the Garda Station !

;)
    All joking aside, if anyone is as fed up with the archaic and ill thought-out licensing laws in Ireland as I am, you should contact your local TD to make yourself heard.

Licensing laws were due to be reviewed this year, so getting on to Alan Shatter wouldn't be a bad idea either. alan.shatter@oireachtas.ie

It's just idiotic and completely moving in the wrong direction.

I'm in favour of 24 / 7 drinking ( not in residential areas) myself. But those who opened with no licence were robbing off those who did pay for their licences. So F*k them anyway.

I am astonished that seemingly NOBODY had a licence to open late though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

xo.mary wrote: »
    From what I've heard, these extensions cost a few hundred euro a night.
    It's currently €410 per night (€300 fee + €110 excise duty) paid in advance before the start of the month. If you're a late bar or club that opens seven nights that's over €12k per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a lot of cash to stump up, but I would have thought that late July would be the time when businesses would have had least problems with stumping up the cashflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

If pubs/clubs don't have the licence why should they be allowed wait open, your not supposed to drive on the road without tax so why should pubs be any different, its unfair on those pubs/clubs that are paying for the late licence that others were allowed free ride.

€410 however seems quite steep for an extra 2 hours, if it was longer a few pubs/clubs might go for it.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

keano89 wrote: »
    If pubs/clubs don't have the licence why should they be allowed wait open, your not supposed to drive on the road without tax so why should pubs be any different, its unfair on those pubs/clubs that are paying for the late licence that others were allowed free ride.

€410 however seems quite steep for an extra 2 hours, if it was longer a few pubs/clubs might go for it.
    It's only really an hour or so on a Friday or Saturday night. It's also extremely unfair on smaller venues, as they have to pay the same as much larger venues.

The whole system is wrong, and in a way i've sympathy for the gardai as their job is to try and uphold the law. In this case though, the law needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Only one solution - they open earlier!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:mad:Bloody joke, a new super comes into town and is trying to destroy the pub and nightlife of Galway which has thrived for decades, the Galway nightlife is known all over Ireland and the world and now certain people are trying to destroy this image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

thats it,instead of starting to drink at half 9-10ish itl be half 7-8ish:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

JustMary wrote: »
    It's a lot of cash to stump up, but I would have thought that late July would be the time when businesses would have had least problems with stumping up the cashflow.

I guess they were getting away with it so thought why bother paying for the extension.
    Lets just stay open anyway, the guards won't do anything it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

pubs again closed at 1 last night , on holidays for next few days ... not going chance city over the weekend ... he i com dublin ...

what every going on some want to sorted it out .....

• Advertisement

Get yourself a new keyboard in Dublin!!!

Advertisement