Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options
  • 08-08-2012 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

was in the ......... it know as late night bar ...... cop came and closed it down ..... , so we moved ( off two late night pub ) ... 1 am cop again , got shut down .... again ( off two outher pub ..... ) that got closed by the cops ....
    i thought galway had late night pub ...... latin area of town ....

whats going on ? and why cop shutting down pub at ....

thought was 2 am ..... i am not payying to go two club 15 - 10 euros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

have a nice glass of water and go to bed, itll all be better in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

have a nice glass of water and go to bed, itll all be better in the morning

can you Changes Water Into Wine my only nite on the town .... call around please full house here ... wantting

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I hate when the Gardaí are referred to as "cops".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It was a Tuesday night i assume, only a handful of pubs have late licences on weeknights (outside of extra licensing weeks like the Races) Front Door and The Roisin being the 2 i can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Someone did not pay for their late licence that night it seems. I'd say a very few pubs have a late licence 7 days a week in Galway ...and chance opening anyway. The licences cost €300 a night.

http://www.thejournal.ie/sharp-fall-in-nightclubs-seeking-late-licences-372950-Mar2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd say that most if not all of the late bars have been quite "flexible" about how many license exemptions they apply for per week. A license exemption fee is currently €410 per night and must be paid for up front at the start of the month. I wonder how many more nights this month aren't paid for and will the Gardaí close these pubs for all of these nights in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drink does terrible things to a person. Remember that kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd say that most if not all of the late bars have been quite "flexible" about how many license exemptions they apply for per week. A license exemption fee is currently €410 per night and must be paid for up front at the start of the month. I wonder how many more nights this month aren't paid for and will the Gardaí close these pubs for all of these nights in August?

True enough.

But there are without-late-licenses pubs which have traditionally been allowed to get away with serving "a little" later than their official closing hours.

I think the real quesion is why the guards suddenly decided to clamp down on it this week. Are they bored now the festivals are over? Trying to up the revenue from September's late applications? Dealing with serious criminal issues that have just come to light?

(yes, I know after-hours drinking is a crime, but I don't think it's serious unless there's some ASB going with it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

biko wrote: »
    Drink does terrible things to a person. Remember that kids.

Leave extraice alone

leave_britney_alone_02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

all the clubs were closed at 12.30am as well, went passed the Front Door and that was closed too. along with every other pub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Some of the pubs closed early last night so the staff could have their night out after the week. Don't know why the guards would be involved though.

I have friends who were kicked out of the Róisín and Carbon by the Gardaí last night. Those were definitely not staff night off closures. I can't comment on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I work in one of the business closed. Its all down to a new superintendent appointed to Mill Street. Not only is closing all premises without the license. Virtually every place. As its two expensive in this day and age. But also technically no premises in Galway can stay open past 1:30 which previously has being ignored by the guards. Now he routinely closes places at the half one mark, namely nightclubs that are only starting to turn profit by then. Not good for Galway Establishments or its Nightlife. Hopefully the loss of profits don't force places into closure.

Ouch. Are the Gardaí now objecting to any bar exemptions beyond standard 1.30am? At €410 per night there won't be a late bar or club left in Galway City soon if they chose to pursue that policy. A lot of Supers rattle the sabre every so often by blocking 2am/2.30am exemptions but it rarely lasts long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I noticed this last week too and I also heard it was down to a new Super in Millstreet. Very unusual to see the Front Door / Quays stop serving before 2!

empacher wrote: »
    I work in one of the business closed. Its all down to a new superintendent appointed to Mill Street.

The Gardai shift patterns also changed so they no longer have that many guards on duty on monday and tuesday.

Have they cracked down thurs-sat too when they do have the manpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Same again tonight folks - front door, quays, dail all closed doors at 12.30 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Surely the clubs have a license to open later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

Carbon closed down at around 1:15 tonight. Bouncers were all apologetic saying it was the guards and that it was out of their control!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its because the the Guards have fúckall better to do with themselves now that the Volvo, Arts Fest and Races are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Totally stupid. I never go to those places unless for a quickey if I finish early but it's going to do the exact opposite to what staggered closing times achieve because all the different types of clientele will be leaving the establishments at the same time and meeting each other on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yep, it's all the garda's fault. Upholding the law, what are they thinking of?

I detect a fiendishly clever scheme to get more Guards allocated to Galway :)

Pub and club owners all know where to find Brian Walsh and Derek Nolan to complain loudly and bitterly. Super claims lack of resources, resources are allocated, Super chillaxes ( some time in 2013 ....perhaps even in time for the races). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Ok so am I right in saying that in Galway it is:

Mon - Thurs = Normal closing time 11.30 p.m. (drinking up until 12)
    Nightclub / late license:1.30 am

Fri - Sat = Normal closing time 12.30 a.m. (drinking up intil 1)
    Nightclub/ late bar: 2 / 2.30 am?

Sun = Normal closing time 11.00 (drinking up intil 11.30)
    Nightclub / late bar - 1.00 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

I was in Carbon nightclub on Tuesday night and it closed at 00.30. I was there before on a Tuesday night (not during the races or the Volvo) and it stayed open until 2.00 am so this does not make sense and now I heard it closed early again last night?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If they were closed at 00.30 it's because they didn't pay for their extension.

Their own bloody fault really...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

Seeing a few things on facebook from bouncers I know that the pubs and clubs in Galway are going to have to close at 1am from now on :eek:

anyone have any more information on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

havent found any links online except for my friends chatter on facebook. Dont want to be giving out links to my friends pages!

Advertisement