Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog Oak

Options
  • 29-07-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but been up home in Donegal and just dug up a massive piece of bog oak out in one of the fields, and not really sure what to do with it. Just wondering has anyone any idea's what I could do with it, maybe commission someoene to do something with it or sell it? It's approx 15ft long 7/8ft in diameter and prob half a tonne weight so not something I could put in the boot of the car. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lordy that's a big bit of bog oak! I bought a relatively small bit in its rough state and it cost me €20 some years ago, so if you sell it make sure you know its value. I would imagine a sculptor might be interested, or there are workshops that do bog oak pieces, maybe a bit of research and emails to some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

looksee wrote: »
    Lordy that's a big bit of bog oak! I bought a relatively small bit in its rough state and it cost me €20 some years ago, so if you sell it make sure you know its value. I would imagine a sculptor might be interested, or there are workshops that do bog oak pieces, maybe a bit of research and emails to some of them.

That it is alright, just need to do some research and see what's best to do with it, really like it myself but just don't have anywhere for it, but don't want to get ripped off either if can sell it in some way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

That it is alright, just need to do some research and see what's best to do with it, really like it myself but just don't have anywhere for it, but don't want to get ripped off either if can sell it in some way.

If its 8 feet in diameter, its probably the largest piece of bog oak retrieved from any irish bog. If its now above ground and allowed to dry out excessively with the wind and sun, it will probably deteriorate very quickly.

You might contact the natural history museum in Dublin, and maybe offer it to them.

Any pictures.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

If you lived closer I would buy it for woodturning and furniture making. I love working with bog oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 2Cents

Hi Jimmy, If you are thinking of commissioning a piece I remember meeting a really nice guy at a craft fair who sculpts bog Oak.
    Here is a link to his Etsy shop if you'd like to contact him through that although it seems he's on holidays at the mo.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ronanlynch
    I dunno if he has any other websites but I guess you could google him.
    I remember him having a few large self balancing pieces about 4-5 foot high with him at the fair but he mentioned having bigger pieces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement