Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help, I'm locked out!

Options
  • 27-07-2012 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey, hoping someone here can help. I have a '98 W210 E200 Merc and for some reason the electronic key won't let me into the car. The barrel key doesn't work either. Not sure what to do, I know it's a fairly common fault.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Hey, hoping someone here can help. I have a '98 W210 E200 Merc and for some reason the electronic key won't let me into the car. The barrel key doesn't work either. Not sure what to do, I know it's a fairly common fault.

Im just guessing here but could you open the fob, take the battery out and put it back in again or replace it? as said just a guss but could be something stupid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Is it defo your car??

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Yep deffo my car! Changed the battery already, no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I've been in this situation before with my E34, locks spinning round and a dead battery. I very carefully pulled the door back a bit then used a hook to grasp the door button. Another time I had to get into a Daily van, I slipped the window down a bit and using a mirror I grasped the handle with a welding rod to open the door. Both took careful planning but seconds to execute.

1. I take no responsibility if you damage your vehicle
    2. Those were my own vehicles on my own grounds
    3. Some parts may vary between vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What happens when you try the barrel key? It may be stiff from disuse. Also have a look on the passenger side handle - there may be a second keyhole under a plastic cover. Does it work in the boot?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    What happens when you try the barrel key? It may be stiff from disuse. Also have a look on the passenger side handle - there may be a second keyhole under a plastic cover. Does it work in the boot?

Yeah it works in the boot. Just turns in the barrel and does nothing. Is the lock on the passenger side under a small square plastic cover?

Is the lock on the passenger side under a small square plastic cover?
    That's the one.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is the lock on the passenger side under a small square plastic cover?
    That's the one.

Will try this afternoon. Fingers crossed! Have been quoted up to 300 for a reprogramme etc

Have you driven the car recently? Might the car battery be completely dead?

I did wonder about that. Going to go check it now and see what I can see. Shouldn't be the battery, it was driven 24 hours ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

I did wonder about that. Going to go check it now and see what I can see. Shouldn't be the battery, it was driven 24 hours ago!

It well may be a flat battery. Had W210 last year myself and it kept discharge battery out of sudden. Thought it's an old battery and replaced but it kept happening until I recovered that ground wire was loose at chasis. Luckily I could open a door with a key at least.

Advertisement