Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iveragh 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Im planning on this one aswell. O I hope the weather is good this year. It would be better with a mass start. anyone intrested in getting a bunch together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

suggest a time as the start. 9 am maybe ?>

Any time would be fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

lescol wrote: »
    July 22nd, hope the weather is kinder to us this year! There are a few of us definitely going again.

http://www.iveragh200.com/

This is on Saturday 21st July
    iveragh200.com had the date as the 22nd, Cycling Ireland the 21st.
    Have been onto Eoin and the date is Sat 21st July, they have updated their website

the brochure looks nice ..........

but the sleety rain cutting accross your eyelids as you descend the vally is another story

I see there is a hall of fame for 2011 !!!

well deserved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

I picked up a slight knee injury about a week ago, but all going well I'll be ok for this. The knee didn't give me too much trouble doing the Ring on Saturday so hopefully with a bit of rest I'll be fine. I spotted what I thought was Coomanaspic as I was going along the main road towards Waterville, was very tempted to wander off to see what all the fuss was about! By all accounts it's a fierce climb even with fresh legs, really looking forward to giving it a go!

I dont know the region well enough to know could you see Coumanasoic from near waterville,

it would be out in the Valentia island direction.

Had you followed you plan thats an extra 50K ?

I suppose dooable !! ( oh god what am I saying here !!! )

( Ring Of Kerry ANNEX ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Jeez.... reading this thread I am wondering if this is for the' newbie' to cycling who just completed his first ROK in 7 hrs in saddle???

Would this be 'too much' for me????

eoin88 wrote: »
    I picked up a slight knee injury about a week ago, but all going well I'll be ok for this. The knee didn't give me too much trouble doing the Ring on Saturday so hopefully with a bit of rest I'll be fine. I spotted what I thought was Coomanaspic as I was going along the main road towards Waterville, was very tempted to wander off to see what all the fuss was about! By all accounts it's a fierce climb even with fresh legs, really looking forward to giving it a go!

the iveragh 200 presents you with Coumanaspic when your odometer reads 170K ....

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez.... reading this thread I am wondering if this is for the' newbie' to cycling who just completed his first ROK in 7 hrs in saddle???

Would this be 'too much' for me????

I think if u did the ROK in 7 hours, the iveragh 200 will be fine for you. You will recongise some of the hills, ( such as the one with the statue on top execpt you ascend it rather than descedning it , in the ROK .

Its a lot longer ascending form the other side also.

but myself and manwithaplan and a few others had a horrible day last year with sleety rain , cold and that impacts my memory of it. maybe the hills were not so bad, juts the rain and wind was a pain.

if the weather is crap, bring a change of gear as you come back to base at 130K before heading off on the final 70 K to coumanaspic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The Iveragh200 or 130 is significantly more difficult than the RoK.

The first three significant climbs (Ballaghbeama, Gap of Dunloe and Black Valley) all have very steep stretches.
    The side road climb out of Derrynane to Coomakiste is also tough. You take 2pm off the Coomakiste climb, but instead climb 100m in jut under a km as opposed to three.

It's very doable, but it's lonely, the roads are tough and the climbs while short are grueling.

Well worth doing, but it's nothing like the Ring, more like it's evil step sister.

My last two RoKs were done in 6 hours and 5h50m respectively. Despite that I struggled very badly on the 2 Iveraghs that I have done. Last year I hated it. The wind, cold and rain made it tough and dispiriting - I lost an hour on the prior year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Well worth doing, but it's nothing like the Ring, more like it's evil step sister

Only thinking of doing the 130km spin.... would that be still as bad???

To be honest I struggled badly going across the Gap of Dunloe hills as you leave from Kate Kearneys and baulked at the ascent to Molls and so cheated by going through Lord Brandons!

Masala wrote: »

Only thinking of doing the 130km spin.... would that be still as bad???

To be honest I struggled badly going across the Gap of Dunloe hills as you leave from Kate Kearneys and baulked at the ascent to Molls and so cheated by going through Lord Brandons!

those are hard hills around gap of dunloe, and the ascent to molls ( descent in ROK ) , is a stinger,

there is only one way to progress ! give it a bash. Last year , i was all on for the 200, at 130 I wanted to go home ( drenched cold wet etc) but went on to the 200 after a feed back at the base sign on, and it was the best part to finish off the 200. ( had never been to valentia island before !).

it is usually a small group on this Iveragh, so u must try hang in or have a few mates along .

michael196 wrote: »
    I dont know the region well enough to know could you see Coumanasoic from near waterville,

it would be out in the Valentia island direction.

Had you followed you plan thats an extra 50K ?

I suppose dooable !! ( oh god what am I saying here !!! )

( Ring Of Kerry ANNEX ).

Well I was probably about 10-15km from Waterville when I spotted a steep looking mountain with a mast at the top, assumed there couldn't be too many others around like it! Not knowing the roads around there, I probably would have ended up adding a good bit more than 50 km to the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niallers79

Just wondering does anyone know how many are doing the iveragh 200 as I'm heading down to waterville on my own after a few friends backed out, so hoping to meet up with a few for company and to share to pain from what I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

where is there a list of sportives in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

maesdavid wrote: »
    where is there a list of sportives in ireland
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/Leisure/Calendar.aspx

Well I was probably about 10-15km from Waterville when I spotted a steep looking mountain with a mast at the top, assumed there couldn't be too many others around like it! Not knowing the roads around there, I probably would have ended up adding a good bit more than 50 km to the trip!

porbably was coumanaspci alright so.

Ya that was it alright. I went up from the other side that the 200 route does it from a couple of years ago I taught my head was going to explode. They should get the last 70k going up that direction.

Don't suppose anyone would be driving down to Waterville via Cork city either Friday evening or Saturday morning? Not having a motor makes things very awkward, don't even know if the regional bus down to Waterville would take a bike. Plus it would take 5 or 6 hours! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Anyone else register via email? I've sent the email but no reply in the last few days so wondering if its still going ahead or should I expect a reply or just show up on the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I've registered by e-mail, Eoin replied the next day. His mobile number is on the web page if you want to give him a call.

Just after spotting on the website it a mass start. Thats the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Looking forward to this now, did the 120k 2 years aso and looking forward to the full 200k this year, might have to head off before the grand depart to make the big game in killarney at 5pm, hope the improved weather materializes

Don't suppose anyone would be driving down to Waterville via Cork city either Friday evening or Saturday morning? Not having a motor makes things very awkward, don't even know if the regional bus down to Waterville would take a bike. Plus it would take 5 or 6 hours! :eek:

There are frequent buses and trains from Cork to Killarney so that part I can manage. Getting to and from Waterville is the issue. Just had a look at the bus timetables again, turns out that even if the bus to Waterville could take my bike, there's no service on Saturday evening or even Sunday.

If there's any kind soul out there who will be passing by Cork or Killarney on Friday evening or Saturday morning and has a spare space in the car, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I can't see myself making it down at all. And before anyone suggests cycling to and from Waterville, there's not a snowballs chance in hell!

Lift sorted.
    Panic over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Made the trip down to take up the challenge and they really did find every climb in Kerry they could cover under the distance! I'd say less then 100 took up the challenge but the route was suberb and very challenging. The lead car kept it together to the first climb and then re-grouped at the bottom and the pace I thought was very fast to the start of the gap of Dunloe. I'd driven through it so was looking forward to this one, at the start it was busy with tourists so it was a slow start but once past the 'traffic' it was a tough climb I thought.

Food stop at 65 km was well stocked with plenty of options and then up the Molls Gap straight away, another great climb. From there is felt like going downhill for ever to the next drag to Sneem before getting back onto the Ring of Kerry roadway, from Caherdaniel then to Waterville had another climb, very gentle gradient but the legs were very tired going up it before the downhill back to Waterville. On the climb up from Caherdaniel I was gonna call it a day at 130 km but after the downhill and some food at the foodstop I grouped up with a 3 others and headed for Valencia Island, once on the Island there was no going back and then the WALL, I didn't think it would be that bad but bloody hell! that was tough. I ignored by computer but apparently it hit 20% at one stage which finished me off. It wasn't long but with the headwind heading toward it and after that distance it really took alot to get over without getting off the bike! A gentle roll back Waterville to complete the 200 in just under 8 hours with an average of 25.70 kph and over 2300 m of climbing.

Weather was fantastic and the scenery stunning made a great day out. Enjoyed the spin considering how tough it was. Only complaint was lack of route details at the start, a map at the registration would have been nice as I had to ask a few times were to next.

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers for a great day out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

im not sure if i should say this because its a bit of a secret, but this is one of the best sportives in ireland. small but friendly bunch on quiet roads which were in good condition in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. what a route some serious climbs on this, 21% gradient out of Portmagee at 174km really hurt. Lads stick this date in the diary for next year its well worth the trip...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

Made the trip down to take up the challenge and they really did find every climb in Kerry they could cover under the distance! I'd say less then 100 took up the challenge but the route was suberb and very challenging. The lead car kept it together to the first climb and then re-grouped at the bottom and the pace I thought was very fast to the start of the gap of Dunloe. I'd driven through it so was looking forward to this one, at the start it was busy with tourists so it was a slow start but once past the 'traffic' it was a tough climb I thought.

Food stop at 65 km was well stocked with plenty of options and then up the Molls Gap straight away, another great climb. From there is felt like going downhill for ever to the next drag to Sneem before getting back onto the Ring of Kerry roadway, from Caherdaniel then to Waterville had another climb, very gentle gradient but the legs were very tired going up it before the downhill back to Waterville. On the climb up from Caherdaniel I was gonna call it a day at 130 km but after the downhill and some food at the foodstop I grouped up with a 3 others and headed for Valencia Island, once on the Island there was no going back and then the WALL, I didn't think it would be that bad but bloody hell! that was tough. I ignored by computer but apparently it hit 20% at one stage which finished me off. It wasn't long but with the headwind heading toward it and after that distance it really took alot to get over without getting off the bike! A gentle roll back Waterville to complete the 200 in just under 8 hours with an average of 25.70 kph and over 2300 m of climbing.

Weather was fantastic and the scenery stunning made a great day out. Enjoyed the spin considering how tough it was. Only complaint was lack of route details at the start, a map at the registration would have been nice as I had to ask a few times were to next.

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers for a great day out on the bike.
    I thought I could descend fairly well, by god that was some kamikazee descending by you, I definitley thought u were gone over a ditch once or twice , u just disappeared...

Advertisement