Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

Looks like Cian O'Connor's selection is not too popular in this thread! A bit of a shame in my opinion, given he was punished for his crime 8 years ago. He served the punishment, and has moved on. Am i bit a bit naive here in saying that the crime itself was that the horse was given a banned substance, but not performance enhancing, so its not like he was trying to get a competitive advantage.

People should get behind him, and all the other Irish competitors. Good luck to him in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

knockcon wrote: »
    Looks like Cian O'Connor's selection is not too popular in this thread! A bit of a shame in my opinion, given he was punished for his crime 8 years ago. He served the punishment, and has moved on. Am i bit a bit naive here in saying that the crime itself was that the horse was given a banned substance, but not performance enhancing, so its not like he was trying to get a competitive advantage.

People should get behind him, and all the other Irish competitors. Good luck to him in London.

That's right the substance did not in any way enhance the horse's performance. I was also under the impression that Cian himself wasn't made aware of the horse being given the substance.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Michelle Smith was also clean in Atlanta. However her medal haul will forever be sullied by her actions afterwards.

Similar with O'Connor. His Gold Medal wasn't revoked for giving the horse smarties...

But what really got to me was the gross arrogance of the man in the aftermath...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But what really got to me was the gross arrogance of the man in the aftermath...

He's not likeable, thats for sure.

Still hope he medals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Re the Irish relay team, it's reported that the AAI, as obliged to do, contacted all team members to give them an opportunity to make a personal submission, but did so to an address not recognised by their internet accounts. So the notices went to their "junk" boxes, and this was not discovered until Saturday night after J. Mills' appeal had been heard. Have these people a future in a comedy show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidForde

Great posts Dan, interesting & informative. Have you altered any of your initial predictions now we are this close to the Games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

DavidForde wrote: »
    Great posts Dan, interesting & informative. Have you altered any of your initial predictions now we are this close to the Games?

Thanks...there has been a lot of change in fortunes since this thread took off, some good, some not so good. Big positives would be that we are still on course for a gold medal and still looking good to claim at least 3 medals and could sneak more depending how well the boxing team get on. Whenever anyone asks me now, I tend to opt for real conservative estimate of 3 medals but as many as 5 is definitely possible. Breaking it down by sport, it is not unreasonable to expect 2 boxing medals. We have 2 very strong sailing medal hopes and decent potential for success in women's triathlon, men's C1 sprint canoeing, men's 50km walk, equestrian and a couple of other outside chances. So apart from boxing we should get a medal in one of those other events I mentioned. This means it would be a big surprise if we didn't get to 3 medals and we have more than 1 gold medal chance amongst the hopefuls. Anything above 3 medals would be a bonus but fairly probable. As I said though our success will be largely influenced by the boxers. They could bring home a haul of medals in that sport alone but the draw will be crucial.

What's the latest on Derval O'Rourke's injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Saw this on After Hours, but is it true that Katie Taylor only has to win 1 fight to win medal?

Thought it was 2 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is the Irish team now finalised numbers wise at 65?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Saw this on After Hours, but is it true that Katie Taylor only has to win 1 fight to win medal?

Thought it was 2 myself.

She'll be seeded and goes through to the last 8, meaning one victory needed to guarantee a bronze medal. I'll be shocked if she doesn't gold, however stranger things have happened in sport.

Thought it was 2 myself.

As Taylor is seeded number 1, both her and Ochigava (second seed) are through automatically to the quarter-finals. This means that one win will guarantee bronze.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Is the Irish team now finalised numbers wise at 65?

Yes I think it's pretty much a certainty now that the final team is 65 members, a really strong number considering the tough qualification procedures and the fact that 60 of them will be competing in individual events.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Interesting reading about training facilities and why so many of our Athletes have to still train abroad in preparation for the games!!
    There were some foreign teams based in Ireland before the games, syncro swimming in Dublin and one swimmer from Chile based in Limerick, Kristel Kobrich

The Irish Times - Wednesday, July 18, 2012
    Attract them? We can't keep our own
    JOHNNY WATTERSON

THE LAST piece of big news from the governmental group that had been set up specifically to draw foreign teams into Ireland prior to London 2012 was when Olympic Council of Ireland president Pat Hickey decided it was going nowhere.

<Snip>
    Link to article

I've posted some of the Irish team profiles for London 2012....more to follow soon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056704963

Today's Daily Telegraph has an excellent 60 page guide to London 2012. Naturally, the articles focus almost entirely on Britain, but there is a complete timetable of events. Sorry for not telling you earlier. My tablet went on strike this morning.

I'll create a timetable for Irish athletes before the Games begin, will be handy to have each evening to look at who is competing day-by-day.

Dan man wrote: »
    I'll create a timetable for Irish athletes before the Games begin, will be handy to have each evening to look at who is competing day-by-day.
    I was hoping one of you might do that. Do you intend to create a complete timetable at the start or will it be done day by day?

I was hoping one of you might do that. Do you intend to create a complete timetable at the start or will it be done day by day?

feargale wrote: »

I'll post a complete one, then in the daily diary thread, the timetable for that specific day can be posted the evening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CFP

Irish athlete schedule available here:
    http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5802-irish-athletes-schedule-part-1.html

Would love to know if there is one for our Paralympic athletes.

• Advertisement

I'll post a complete one, then in the daily diary thread, the timetable for that specific day can be posted the evening before.

The complete schedule isn't known until all the draws are made. For example we found out today that Scott Evans has one game while Chloe Magee has 2 in badminton. Boxing draws will decide if they go in morning or evening sessions etc etc

I've a few spreadsheets on the go. This chart show kinda how many we have in action each day. Red numbers on yellow background are definites. Black on green background are dependent on draws and progressing.

At least 1 irish competitor in action each day

BIG BIG breaking news.

Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe has been invited to compete in men's Modern Pentathlon as replacement Lukaz Klekot, who has tested positive for a banned substance

Dodge wrote: »
    BIG BIG breaking news.

Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe has been invited to compete in men's Modern Pentathlon as replacement Lukaz Klekot, who has tested positive for a banned substance

Excellent news....I had heard about the Polish guy being withdrawn but thought that at this stage they might just go with 35 instead of the usual 36 competitors in London. I've a spring in my step after hearing that so can't imagine how Arthur is feeling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Dodge wrote: »
    BIG BIG breaking news.

Great for Arthur, bad for sport (as always). Re training - will he be in the shape he could have been in had he known he was going, i.e. would he have kept his training up to what he would have?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/modern-pentathlon/2012/0723/330256-lanigan-okeeffe-to-replace-banned-klekot/

Scott Evans has been drawn to play world no.2 and favourite for Olympic gold, Lin Dan of China. Here are the details Chloe's draw (only group winner advances to the last 16):

Women's Singles:
    Group I
    Pi Hongyan (16th seed, world ranking 25th)
    Hadia Hosny (world ranking 113th)
    Chloe Magee (world ranking 44th)

Just wondering if Dan Man or anyone else can tell me how many of the Irish team are students or alumni of Colleges and Universities in USA, UK and particularly Ireland, and if the sports programs there made a significant contribution to the athletes progression.

This article about UK athletes sparked my interest:

http://www.podium.ac.uk/news/view/897/majority-of-team-gb-at-london-2012-olympic-games-are-products-of-higher-education

Coming from both a boxing and university background I know the IABA have not utilized the resources of higher education institutions to their advantage (as yet).

paulgeog wrote: »
    Just wondering if Dan Man or anyone else can tell me how many of the Irish team are students or alumni of Colleges and Universities in USA, UK and particularly Ireland, and if the sports programs there made a significant contribution to the athletes progression.

This article about UK athletes sparked my interest:

http://www.podium.ac.uk/news/view/897/majority-of-team-gb-at-london-2012-olympic-games-are-products-of-higher-education

Coming from both a boxing and university background I know the IABA have not utilized the resources of higher education institutions to their advantage (as yet).

I couldn't tell you of the top of my head but there are quite a few who are currently or have in the past been involved in a combined sports and education programme at various universities across Ireland and abroad. It's fairly common amongst the athletics team members to have a training set-up at their third-level education institution in their formative years and those institutions are good at working their schedule around both aspects of the athlete's life.

Boxing though as you say hasn't really made use of such set ups. Would be an interesting thing to research....what about the British boxers, are there many of those who are students and with training set-up at their chosen third-level institution?

I would imagine the vast majority of the Irish athletes have come through third-level education. Boxing would be the exception to this rule. Some Irish Olympic boxers have attended colleges, Darren Sutherland (RIP)-DCU, Darren O'Neill-St Pats, Drumcondra, Adam Nolan-Garda College. Darren Sutherland may have received a Sports Scolarship from DCU.

None of them would have competed in Third Level Competitions, not even at European and World Level where competition would be of a much more elite level. Hopefully after the upcoming Olympics, Irish Boxing will embrace the opportunities that Higher Education institutions provide (Facilities, scholarships, sports science etc.), because the competition certainly does.

I would hope that the long awaited IABA 4 Year Strategic Plan would include a focus on Higher Education sector.

Two of Team GB's boxers came through Further Education and one Higher Education:

Nicola Adams - Bradford College
    Anthony Ogogo - East Norfolk Sixth Form College
    Natasha Jonas - Edge Hill University.

The GB Boxing also have access to cutting edge Sports Science through a partnership with Sheffield Hallam University:

http://www.eis2win.co.uk/pages/news_keepinganeyeonthecompetition.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Good overview on how South Korean focus on archery as their main medal winning sport and how they achieve that.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18499167

Pick one sport that has a range of medals on offer and focus all your resources at it from childhood up. Australia do pretty much the same in swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Good overview on how South Korean focus on archery as their main medal winning sport and how they achieve that.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18499167

Pick one sport that has a range of medals on offer and focus all your resources at it from childhood up. Australia do pretty much the same in swimming.

Interesting article. This is something I have often thought about. Is it something we should look at in Ireland. It would be a 20 year plan

I have thought that the track cycling may be our best bet. The uk and Aussies are the leaders at this. We have similar build to them so assume we could be good at it if we invested properly

Any other thoughts - what "minority" sport could we try

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement