Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constitutional Convention: lack of balance

Options
  • 19-07-2012 4:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭

Why is Ivana Bacik on the constitutional convention committee? She's a staunch leftist, yet there is nobody to oppose her from the right.

Fine Gael would do well to insert a number of key players poised to take on radical agendas. Someone like Lucinda Creighton would be a good counter-balance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Actor wrote: »
    Why is Ivana Bacik on the constitutional convention committee? ..........

Labour are entitled to nominate a number of people based on their representation in the Dail, as are every other party and she was voted to go by the parliamentary party. As Ms Bacik is a professor of criminal law, she's more credentials than most to be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

Nodin wrote: »
    Labour are entitled to nominate a number of people based on their representation in the Dail, as are every other party and she was voted to go by the parliamentary party. As Ms Bacik is a professor of criminal law, she's more credentials than most to be there.

She's not a professor given the fullest sense of the word. She got a mickey-mouse professorship from Trinity that's handed down from feminist to feminist. She's a professional politician, not an academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

She's not a professor given the fullest sense of the word. She got a mickey-mouse professorship from Trinity that's handed down from feminist to feminist. She's a professional politician, not an academic.

From feminist to feminist? While many have issues with Bacik, there's nothing wrong with her credentials in academia and law. Most Irish politicians are qualified to teach versus Bacik who has more extensive qualifications than the average person in the Dáil.

I'm sorry, but do you have anything to back that up? "Reid professor of Criminal law, criminology and penology" is the title, and its been in existence since the 1800's. Her CV gives her the appearance of an academic far more than a politician.

I'm sorry, but do you have anything to back that up? "Reid professor of Criminal law, criminology and penology" is the title, and its been in existence since the 1800's. Her CV gives her the appearance of an academic far more than a politician.

Proper professors are appointed on the professor pay scale. Reid "professor" of law is on the lecturer scale.

• Advertisement

Proper professors are appointed on the professor pay scale. Reid "professor" of law is on the lecturer scale.

It's still a chair, its been there since the 1880's and she is, by all appearances, eminently qualified in the field.

Now, do you have something concrete to add?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think the OP's concerns are that her personal politcal veiws will try and shape the debate of the convention. Ill give her the benifit of the doubt but if hear **** like "everyone should have a human right to a job" then ill be bitterly dissapointed.

jank wrote: »
    I think the OP's concerns are that her personal politcal veiws will try and shape the debate of the convention. Ill give her the benifit of the doubt but if hear **** like "everyone should have a human right to a job" then ill be bitterly dissapointed.

Considering that she's one of 7 labour members, that she is not in fact the designated leader of the group, and that the other parties will be nominating delegations based on the size of their representation in the dail, I fail to see how she could possibly "shape the debate of the convention".

In addition, the convention itself is limited to debating some fixed issues, as far as I understand it, and does not have unlimited scope.

We both know how these things work. Certain personalities will or at least try and shape the scope and debate of such things. Least just see what they come out with. I can imagine the outcry of the left if someone like Michael O Leary was on the convention panel. They would probably ballot for a strike! :D

We both know how these things work. Certain personalities will or at least try and shape the scope and debate of such things. Least just see what they come out with. I can imagine the outcry of the left if someone like Michael O Leary was on the convention panel. They would probably ballot for a strike! :D

Hilarious.

You'll find in a structured enviroment with a set agenda, theres a distinct limit to what "personalities" can acheive, particularily when theres the question of party allegiance and party lines to take into account.

• Advertisement

Considering that she's one of 7 labour members, that she is not in fact the designated leader of the group, and that the other parties will be nominating delegations based on the size of their representation in the dail, I fail to see how she could possibly "shape the debate of the convention".

In addition, the convention itself is limited to debating some fixed issues, as far as I understand it, and does not have unlimited scope.

I hope to God that it will be compromise after compromise resulting in little or no change. These hardline lefties are desperate to introduce abortion-on-demand before their term ends.

I hope to God that it will be compromise after compromise resulting in little or no change. These hardline lefties are desperate to introduce abortion-on-demand before their term ends.

You seem to be rather confused as to whats happening here - these are the issues before the convention

"We will establish a Constitutional Convention to consider comprehensive
    constitutional reform, with a brief to consider, as a whole or in sub-groups,
    and report within 12 months on the following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Convention_(Ireland)

Anything brought up would then have to be approved by referendum.

You seem to be rather confused as to whats happening here - these are the issues before the convention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Convention_(Ireland)

Anything brought up would then have to be approved by referendum.

So the issue of electoral quotas will be up for discussion! Well that's Ivana's baby. I suppose its the only she can get directly elected.

So the issue of electoral quotas will be up for discussion! Well that's Ivana's baby. I suppose its the only she can get directly elected.

Other than personal digs at Ivana Bacik, do you have anything to add?

Other than personal digs at Ivana Bacik, do you have anything to add?
    If you have a problem with my post, report it. As far as I know this ain't China.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you have a problem with my post, report it. As far as I know this ain't China.

Fine. Reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Given the tone of the OP, it isn't really surprising that this descended into a snipe-fest.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement