Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been to the Zoo lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

vektarman wrote: »
    I haven't been to the zoo since I saw some scumbags throwing penguins into the lions - the penguins were allright though, the the lions couldn't get the wrappers off.....

actually happened in belfast zoo, sadly with a real penguin :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

montyrebel wrote: »
    actually happened in belfast zoo, sadly with a real penguin :mad:

Are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think they have natural instincts to roam and do as nature intends. They have predators caged up, never been able to hunt and kill.

I'm all for nature reserves.

To be fair, the vast majority of animals in zoos now were either born in a zoo (back in the days when 'zoos' were depressed animals in tiny cages) or were saved from ill-treatment. They wouldn't survive in the wild. All of the animals have great spaces, both public and private now and they are encouraged to act as naturally as is possible and their individual habitats reflect that.

I'm not a huge fan of zoos either but I think they do serve a good purpose and Dublin Zoo is a fantastic facility nowadays. God, when I think back just 15 years to those poor Polar Bears... they've come a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

phasers wrote: »
    To be fair, the vast majority of animals in zoos now were either born in a zoo (back in the days when 'zoos' were depressed animals in tiny cages) or were saved from ill-treatment. They wouldn't survive in the wild. All of the animals have great spaces, both public and private now and they are encouraged to act as naturally as is possible and their individual habitats reflect that.

You can't breed out instinct. Animals who naturally roam through territories can't. Animals who hunt, can't.

The Elephant and other large animal enclosures are far from ideal and no where near to anything that could be considered a great space.

Zoos are just a little step better then circus's. I have little time for either.

phasers wrote: »

I'm not a huge fan of zoos either but I think they do serve a good purpose and Dublin Zoo is a fantastic facility nowadays. God, when I think back just 15 years to those poor Polar Bears... they've come a long way.

So you would be ok with keeping humans born in a cage in captivity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Zoos are prisons for animals, but unlike prisons, all the animals are innocent.

Will not support such places with my cash.

Yeah I think that if they're able to make parks like Fota Wildlife park which seems so much better for the animals then there's no need for zoos. The animals seemed a lot happier and less aware of the people around them.

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Yeah I think that if they're able to make parks like Fota Wildlife park which seems so much better for the animals then there's no need for zoos. The animals seemed a lot happier and less aware of the people around them.

The new Gorilla enclosure in Dublin zoo is great aswell. Harry (the big silverback) seems a lot more relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The zoo also has been completely modernised and greatly expanded since my last visit and there are many facilities all over the zoo - cafes, restaurants (pricey) and toilets.

Toilets? Who'd have thunk it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Toilets? Who'd have thunk it?

Well, more toilets all around the zoo than were there previously. Handy for parents with a screaming kid "Daddy, I wanna do a poo!!":rolleyes::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Had a meeting with Mr Lyon there, but he never showed up.

You should have called ahead to make sure he was available. Do it now. And ask for him by his full name. His first name is Rory, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Oh yeah, they're all friendly and shít when you're walking around but as soon as you borrow a Giraffe in the boot of your car, mayhem ensues.

Would've been the best Stag party ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Truley wrote: »
    I'm not a big zoo fan but it's certainly better than the only other one I went to, Berlin Zoo- that place was depressing and cruel.

I went to Berlin zoo before as so many people claimed it was one of the best zoos in Europe. I have to agree, never seen such a depressing place in all my life. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I went to the zoo as a child and remember feeling sorry for the animals as their enclosures were quite small. I purposely went to Foto from then on as I knew the animals moved with more freedom. My kids wanted to go to the zoo years later, I wasn't looking forward to it but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at all the work done over the years and I was a lot happier about how the animals were kept. Food is pricey alright but ticket prices are okay and I think Tesco Clubcard Points can be used for tickets if you check the Tesco website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have been to a fair few zoo's over the years and Dublin zoo is up there with the best. Enclosures are pretty decent sizes but do feel conflicted like others as to caging big cats etc.
    Was at Chester Zoo recently which has a great reputation and it didn't have a patch on Dublin Zoo tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Someone told me
    It's all happening at the zoo.
    I do believe it,
    I do believe it's true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Education programmes for the animals? I think most animals have the mating thing nailed, forgive the pun :p.

As for the endangered species, what percentage of animals in world wide zoos are endangered?

I was in jersey zoo a couple years ago, and surprised at the number of "this species is endangered" signs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Been a while since I was at the zoo. I remember seeing a tapir for the first time when I was there last. It had the weirdest lookin' boner at the time.

Someone should organise an AH zoo trip. That'd be some laugh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Whilst Dublin Zoo has changed for the better in the past 15 or so years and the animals have quite a lot of space and are well cared for, spare a thought for the poor animals trapped in these hellholes that call themselves zoos...:(:mad:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/global/100629/worst-world-zoos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

The armchair traveller in me says yes; but...no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Are you joking?

not joking, heres the link for the news story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1184154.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

montyrebel wrote: »

.. think I just vom'd a bit in my mouth. savage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo? It's no Fota Wildlife Park.

The annual pass for Dublin zoo if you get one - gets you into Fota Wildlife Park also. Both are very good.

“Roll it back”

As for the endangered species, what percentage of animals in world wide zoos are endangered?

Pretty much most of the larger ones it seems.

Was a Fota a while back and almost all the animals on the flier map had some endangered level -
    Some even had Extinct (in the wild) - European Bison think it was - and a very large Eagle that used to live in Ireland - they were breading them to reintroduce them to the wild.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ozmo wrote: »
    Pretty much most of the larger ones it seems.

Was a Fota a while back and almost all the animals on the flier map had some endangered level -
    Some even had Extinct (in the wild) - European Bison think it was - and a very large Eagle that used to live in Ireland - they were breading them to reintroduce them to the wild.

Can you name must of the larger animals as being on the endangered list?,

Elephants,giraffes , hippos, rhinos, zebras,Gorillas, Chimps,Monkey's, Lions, other big cats. The list could go on of zoo animals that aren't endangered.

Unless zoos plan on repopulating a wild species, then they are little more then a freak show and cheap entertainment.

Can you name most of the larger animals as being on the endangered list?,

Elephants,giraffes , hippos, rhinos, zebras,Gorillas, Chimps,Monkey's, Lions, other big cats. The list could go on of zoo animals that aren't endangered.

Unless zoos plan on repopulating a wild species, then they are little more then a freak show and cheap entertainment.

7 or 8 out of the 10 of your list - Yes - they are of course on the endangered or essentially extinct list.

Source: http://www.earthsendangered.com/list.asp

Elephants - Area(s) Where Listed As Endangered: Africa
    giraffes - nope they seem to be ok
    hippo - yes, endangered according to above website.
    rhinos - definitely especially the white ones
    zebras - nah lots of them
    Gorillas - yes, endangered due to poaching and habitat loss
    Chimps / Monkey's - too general - several species are endangered
    Lions - endangered.
    other big cats - Siberian Tiger is almost extinct (less than 400 left !!)
    http://tigersincrisis.com/siberian_tiger.htm

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

To a large degree Dublin zoo has gotten rid of a lot of animals to concentrate of the 'big ticket' ones like lions, apes, elephants etc and is poorer because of it IMO

The meerkat enclosure is crap now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think most animals have the mating thing nailed

Except for the pandas. A species of awkward teenagers.

Except for the pandas. A species of awkward teenagers.

Actually they have it nailed or they wouldnt have survived as a species. What is true is that humans dont have their mating nailed. All you do to mate them is swap their cages every now and again and bingo.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was in jersey zoo a couple years ago, and surprised at the number of "this species is endangered" signs

Because its true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Because its true

well, yeah :confused:

i was surprised how many species are endangered...

Advertisement