Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ireland ever improve?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

With the mess that the country is in now financially, and socially (See Saturday in the Phoenix Park), do you think this country is actively progressive in it's nature? Evolving? Or just stuck in the same rut, a backwater always stuck behind the rest of the developed world. Our public transport is awful, same with healthcare, corruption is rife...

To be blunt... I sometimes cringe at how awful a country it is when reading newspapers online. I look around me here at the news here in the UK, science, politics, media and see a different world. Not perfect but a vast improvement on what Ireland does in almost every aspect, despite both countries having similar opportunities. The pig-ignorant Irish and their 'ah sure its just a bit of craic' and spineless 'its not my job, someone else will do it' mentality to every thing disgusts me and its something that filters through to every single facet of Irish society.

Read a story in any of those newspapers about corruption etc at the highest levels and you'll find half the commenters trying to crack wise. The hilarity. It's far easier to crack a crap pun than sum the intellect to ask a question or write to your local TD. It's the spineless insecure trait that really does it.

Even the drunks who were making a show of us on the world stage with their 'win or lose we're here for the booze' mentality at the euros. They're not fans. They're just drunken Paddies who are so insecure about losing or asking serious questions as to why we lost that they need to hide behind 'ah sure we're here for the craic and we're the best fans in the world' rubbish.

In short I'm in the Roy Keane mentality camp when it comes to that.

Bring on the smart comments please - Yes I did shut the door behind me, I'm a west brit, etc etc. I just want to know if there will ever be any hope. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yes we are stuck in a rut, but you can leave the following horseshite out........
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The pig-ignorant Irish

Rather be a pig than a cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

With the mess that the country is in now financially, and socially (See Saturday in the Phoenix Park), do you think this country is actively progressive in it's nature? Evolving? Or just stuck in the same rut, a backwater always stuck behind the rest of the developed world. Our public transport is awful, same with healthcare, corruption is rife...

To be blunt... I sometimes cringe at how awful a country it is when reading newspapers online. I look around me here at the news here in the UK, science, politics, media and see a different world. Not perfect but a vast improvement on what Ireland does in almost every aspect, despite both countries having similar opportunities. The pig-ignorant Irish and their 'ah sure its just a bit of craic' and spineless 'its not my job, someone else will do it' mentality to every thing disgusts me and its something that filters through to every single facet of Irish society.

Read a story in any of those newspapers about corruption etc at the highest levels and you'll find half the commenters trying to crack wise. The hilarity. It's far easier to crack a crap pun than sum the intellect to ask a question or write to your local TD. It's the spineless insecure trait that really does it.

Even the drunks who were making a show of us on the world stage with their 'win or lose we're here for the booze' mentality at the euros. They're not fans. They're just drunken Paddies who are so insecure about losing or asking serious questions as to why we lost that they need to hide behind 'ah sure we're here for the craic and we're the best fans in the world' rubbish.

Bring on the smart comments please - Yes I did shut the door behind me, I'm a west brit, etc etc. I just want to know if there will ever be any hope. Thanks for reading :)

hope you get free vallium....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

hope you get free vallium....

I did yes from the NHS for back problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

With recent events I'm more embarrassed to stand up and say "I'm Irish" than ever.

Actually I was never that patriotic to begin with so it doesn't bother me.

I did yes from the NHS for back problems.

i would guess..that is the least of your problems....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ireland is sh1t at creating jobs and sh1t at getting things done quickly. Apart from those little problems, it's no better or worse than any other developed country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe when the government decides to start plugging holes the country's life blood is gushing out off.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People understand shortage of money but under the surface we have a lack of attention to maintaining values with us and that's just as important but gets' little attention .Every Election has been about Money only Money .So there it is .Things got worse in the Tiger years .Crime went soaring while cutbacks to the gardai went on at the same time .That's the Nation we are !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Impressive rant OP and a fair bit of truth in it unfortunately. When I was reading through it I remembered a story: A mate of mine was working in a company in Denmark a few years ago and he told me the following anecdote:

In the canteen you collected your food from the staff serving at the hot counter and then you went through a self service check out where you keyed in your food and then swiped a card which you had to top up with cash. Ostensibly staff would do spot checks to see if your receipt matched what was on your plate but in reality everyone threw their receipts straight into the bin that was next to the check-out machine.

My buddy remarked to one of the Danes how this system wouldn't work in Ireland because people would take advantage of it. "taking three sausages but only paying for two, not keying in the carrots etc". The Dane was horrified: "You mean, they would steal the food?", to which my friend replied "Well, the thing is they wouldn't actually see it that way...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sodden Pussy

Worked in UK and USA to management level. Did business on major contract (2 mill +) level with private businesses and Gov. Depts in both countries. But here.... its a joke. This administration (or previous) cannot run a bath let alone a country. Too much self interest on a political level. Advise to 18 year olds...Get the hell out of here and don't EVER look back. This state will never change no matter who is elected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Worked in UK and USA to management level. Did business on major contract (2 mill +) level with private businesses and Gov. Depts in both countries. But here.... its a joke. This administration (or previous) cannot run a bath let alone a country. Too much self interest on a political level. Advise to 18 year olds...Get the hell out of here and don't EVER look back. This state will never change no matter who is elected.

Is someone reading Fifty Shades of Grey to come up with that username? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You'll get nothing but abuse here but I feel the same in a lot of ways. The same people that will jump down your throat wrapped in the Irish flag will have complained about all of the things you have said.

Funnily enough I remember listening to Roy Keane on the radio and I thought he made perfect sense and chose his words very well so as not to offend. A bit of a gent about it if anything. And look what happens to the guy.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Is someone reading Fifty Shades of Grey to come up with that username? :pac:

Probably a cat-hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Will Ireland ever improve? Yes.

The process is well underway if you look at it in the longer-term, despite all the recent problems. The Ireland of today is far better than the Ireland of my parents' era in so many ways. Yes there's a recession on, yes there are lots of problems, and yes there are a few aspects of the Irish character that you might change, but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. Education will get us there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

I guess most on here are young , too young to remember the 80's in any case.

The country was a mess then , with Sky high interest rates to boot.
    Getting a job was a delusional fantasy held by most.

The country pulled out of it then , we had about 10-15 good years , it will pull out of it again , but you need a determined bulldog like Noonan running things , not some camera shy fairy like Kenny if that's going to happen.

The Dane was horrified: "You mean, they would steal the food?", to which my friend replied "Well, the thing is they wouldn't actually see it that way...."

He should have reminded him about the vikings........

Diapason wrote: »

The process is well underway if you look at it in the longer-term, despite all the recent problems. The Ireland of today is far better than the Ireland of my parents' era in so many ways. Yes there's a recession on, yes there are lots of problems, and yes there are a few aspects of the Irish character that you might change, but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. Education will get us there in the end.

well said....

Diapason wrote: »

Has it improved? So poor people on the dole have xboxes and sky TV these days, which isn't really an improvement, but they are completely out of touch with everything and seem to be very angry. Were people getting beaten to death by teenagers or stabbed in the head with screwdrivers back then? Morals and decency and community are dead. Our leaders have shown us the way, to take all you can for yourself and not to care about anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Ireland is much better now :)

During the boom everyone got lost is the hype which bit them in the ass now

People should use this opportunity so they can plan their futures wih what they have rather then what they think they have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

yeah it was a good rant,have to agree with it,ireland as far as most govt departments go(including health and transport)are diabolical,we still have awful pricing when it comes to 2 hour train journeys,we have disused rails all over ireland that need to be joined up to make every county and city in ireland with a rail service,there should be a public transport system like the metro,or the london tube or the rails all around every city and shire in england,it is a disgrace.
    And the healthcare system is a shambles just this week i read that recently retired workers were being rehired?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post until I got to..

No, they didn't make a show of us anything but.:mad: The fans were fantastic. I have family and friends in a number of countries abroad and received literally dozens of messages about the conduct of the Irish fans, from the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Korea.......... Seeing the large stand on O'Connell Street in Dublin from the city of Poznan to the Irish fans is on of the few things I have felt hugely proud for Ireland in the last few years.

I'd rather be known as the fans who sang their hearts out even when the team were 4-0 down, than be known as the fans who battered stewards black and blue inside some of the stadia, and engaged in street fights and hooliganism any day of the week.

Has it improved? So poor people on the dole have xboxes and sky TV these days, which isn't really an improvement, but they are completely out of touch with everything and seem to be very angry. Were people getting beaten to death by teenagers or stabbed in the head with screwdrivers back then? Morals and decency and community are dead. Our leaders have shown us the way, to take all you can for yourself and not to care about anyone else.

Yep......
    "I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
    frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
    words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
    respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
    [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

I was too young in the 80s to be aware of this stuff - was there a massive heroin problem then? Was Dublin city centre crawling with junkies? Were there as many drunks on the streets on a Saturday night? Was the country full of empty ghost estates? Were beauty spots polluted with one off housing due to brown envelopes?
    Has it really improved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

OP any suggestions on how we could improve?

I think its a great place to live in

"Those who cross the seas change their skies not their minds" - Voltaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

if there were a boards.uk i'm sure they're would be a similar rant...

prinz wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post until I got to..

No, they didn't make a show of us anything but.:mad: The fans were fantastic. I have family and friends in a number of countries abroad and received literally dozens of messages about the conduct of the Irish fans, from the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Korea.......... Seeing the large stand on O'Connell Street in Dublin from the city of Poznan to the Irish fans is on of the few things I have felt hugely proud for Ireland in the last few years.

I'd rather be known as the fans who sang their hearts out even when the team were 4-0 down, than be known as the fans who battered stewards black and blue inside some of the stadia, and engaged in street fights and hooliganism any day of the week.

Fair enough I just thought it was typical mentality, as long as we can get p*ssed we don't care how the team did. Looked like a big stag do to me. I kind of thought it summed up the Irish attitude to everything. Let's bring in massive austherity measures. We don't protest like the Greeks or Spanish, we go to the pub and complain to our mates.
    I take your point but maybe I shouldn't have mentioned football, don't want it to head down that route.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Ireland is sh1t at creating jobs and sh1t at getting things done quickly. Apart from those little problems, it's no better or worse than any other developed country.

... and here's a prime example showing a fucking balls of a job that's been made by this government and the last one, where there's been years of fannying about, and the feckin fannying is still continuing. This is typical of the way the beaurocrats operate in this country, and have been since the start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_LNG

..and here's the lates news showing the current state of the big joke:

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/locals-left-reeling-as-shannon-lng-project-thrown-into-doubt-3163304.html
    Locals left reeling as Shannon LNG project thrown into doubt

PEOPLE on the landbank are deeply angry this week following a decision that has thrown the entire future of the Shannon LNG project into doubt.

Promising a total investment of over €500 million and hundreds of jobs in its construction phase, it was seen as a lifeline by the people of Ballylongford and Tarbert who have watched helplessly in recent years as the young of both parishes emigrated in the face of the recession.

This week's decision by the energy regulator (CER) means there will be no movement on the gas plant until at least 2015 if it is to go ahead at all at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

People having fun? NOT ON BraziliaNZ WATCH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Yea bring back the good old days when our kids were routinely sexually and physically abused by priests and nuns,when contraception was illegal, when women were routinely butched in our church hospitals, oh how I long for those great days again:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

beeroclock wrote: »
    OP any suggestions on how we could improve?

I think its a great place to live in

"Those who cross the seas change their skies not their minds" - Voltaire

Not really, I'm not a visionary or anything like that and don't the motivation for politics. I did try at home though, organised some street cleaning when I was renting a flat as the place was a disgrace from the schoolkids who dumped their lunch litter there eveyday. 3 people showed up.

Advertisement