Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Dublin was heavily populated by the British more so than any-other county in the republic. The settelers were afraid of the locals outside the pale cos we tried to kill them when we got the chance (they were shocked at this, I mean what kind of a savage would kill an invading settler!!) anyway the bitterness to the rest of the country got bread into the Dubs, so I wouldn't expect them to like the rest of the country.

Also we culchie's are as mad as a bag of bees in a oven:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

20 : Saying someone's 'Opened a Book' on something.

seriously, what does this mean?? confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Anyone who used to go to a local disco.
    This did not exist in Finglas circa 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

gigawatt wrote: »
    20 : Saying someone's 'Opened a Book' on something.

seriously, what does this mean?? confused!

As in started taking bets on some event or other

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Finding out your mam used to be shiftin your friend's dad at the dances before your parents met...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Salute people you meet as you are driving or walking always. You must salute, it's the rules

You know what 10-10-20 is :cool:

more of 18-6-12 fan myself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anyway the bitterness to the rest of the country got bread into the Dubs
    Well so long as we're fed we're happy...

Also we culchie's are as mad as a bag of bees in a oven:D!
    This is true and long may it continue. :D Sure given how many Culchies made their way up to Dublin in the 40's, 50's and 60's we've imported your madness and there's feck all of us true blood, garrison game, west brit Dubs left. Endangered effin species we are *shakes fist*. That Pale yoke was a disaster. Great Wall of China it was not, cos it never stopped those Culchie feckers like it was supposed to. Canny bastards that they are. Actually the Great Wall of China wouldn't stop them. Lucky for the Chinese all they had to worry about were the Mongol hordes. Not a patch on our Culchies on a mission.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Culchies wear Wranglers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

...Though I have to admit a hankering for buttered biscuits and I do tend to say "aahh" after the first sip of a nice cup of tea, even if it is Earl Grey *Sniffs, raises pinkie*. I've been infected!! :eek::eek: Bastards! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bombay Allee

i really should not say what i am thinking

• Advertisement

i really should not say what i am thinking
    Defo a Dub then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Anyone from outside Dublin (me included! :) ), even if they're from another urban area. Have no problem with the term, it's usually affectionate. Hate bogger or muck savage though.
    summerskin wrote: »
    Dublin does not come close to Manchester as a city, sorry.

Respectfully disagree, Manchester is rather ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A culchie is by definition, a person who lives in the rural countryside, and not in an urban area or any kind.

People in Our Fair City cannot understand this though, and label anyone who comes from outside Dublin as a culchie, even people who live in other cities/towns. Thus displaying great ignorance both on a cultural and geographical level.

I am a culchie. And proud of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

What makes a culchie? The ability to dance on a moving horse-drawn carriage and not fall off! Especially after a few pints of porter.

Watch the master show it's done:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bombay Allee

Wibbs wrote: »
    Defo a Dub then...

certainly a Leitriminator

grenache wrote: »
    A culchie is by definition, a person who lives in the rural countryside, and not in an urban area or any kind.

People in Our Fair City cannot understand this though, and label anyone who comes from outside Dublin as a culchie, even people who live in other cities/towns. Thus displaying great ignorance both on a cultural and geographical level.

No, a culchie is anyone from outside Dublin, whether they're from an urban or rural area. And I'm not a Dub saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sea Filly wrote: »
    No, a culchie is anyone from outside Dublin, whether they're from an urban or rural area. And I'm not a Dub saying that.

Is that what it says in the Oxford English Dictionary? If so then the thread can be closed!

...Though I have to admit a hankering for buttered biscuits and I do tend to say "aahh" after the first sip of a nice cup of tea, even if it is Earl Grey *Sniffs, raises pinkie*. I've been infected!! :eek::eek: Bastards! :D

Buttered biscuits are gorge. My favourite are buttered Marietta. :o

Is that what it says in the Oxford English Dictionary? If so then the thread can be closed!

Dunno, don't have a copy of the OED to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Real butter ? raises pinkie we thinking the same thing?:p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

grenache wrote: »

I believe what Dubs are getting at is that outside of Dublin, Irish "cities" are "cities" in name only in their opinion.

When you consider Waterford, with it's population of a whole 40,000 people is a city you have to think they may have a bit of a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Pushtrak wrote: »
    A culchie is someone who was raised and lived on a farm, away from a city IMO. Idiots think its anyone outside Dublin.

You sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

A Belarusian footballer who plays for FC Rostov. But spelt wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

hondasam wrote: »
    Real butter ? raises pinkie we thinking the same thing?:p

The problem with real butter is it is either rock hard or liquid, it exists in its optimal spreadable state for only a few fleeting moments.

Real butter is the only way to have mashed potatoes, with the bacon and cabbage. I saw someone from Limerick put lowlow on once, they did not do it again.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People here despise the countryside because we have so much of it but City dwellers yearn for it where there is very little .In London it was posh to reside in the Country at weekends... here is another matter .When you lose a lot you miss a lot .We are spoiled here in Dublin because there is every kind of scenery you can think of almost and it's not far away either .London can bake you on a hot summers day and apart from the serpentine in Kensington Gardens or a pool if you can find a good one there is no real countryside around london .We are spoiled here and the accents and mannerisms are charming if you've been baked in Cities for long enough .Visitors do not come here to see Cities 'more to get away from them .

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Jesus your clueless!

The back legs are supposed to be down your wellies! then they cant run away!

Pushtrak wrote: »
    A culchie is someone who was raised and lived on a farm, away from a city IMO. Idiots think its anyone outside Dublin.

There's a lot of idiots in Ireland so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I have decided that a Culchie is anyone who lives more than three miles away from a town with a population of at least 5,000 persons.

If you disagree, you're also a culchie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I was born and raised in the city of Cork and I don't consider myself a culchie because I've always lived in a city.
    OP is beyond the pale :p

Any chance you were born in the Old Coombe ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is true and long may it continue. :D Sure given how many Culchies made their way up to Dublin in the 40's, 50's and 60's
    pffff

blow in's

Advertisement