Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone and 3 infrastructure sharing.

Options
  • 04-07-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Vodafone is in

advanced discussions with rival Hutchison Whampoa about merging their Irish telecoms infrastructure, the Financial Times reported today. The negotiations between Vodafone and Hutchison Whampoa, the Hong Kong-based conglomerate that operates the Three mobile brand in Ireland, to create a shared grid have reached agreement but have not been formally signed, the FT said.

The merger will create an equal joint venture structure that will own the telecoms equipment but they will maintain independent spectrum holdings and run competing retail services. A person with knowledge of the talks is cited as saying savings for each business could exceed 200 million pounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0704/breaking12.html

They merged in Australia with the subsequent grandfathering of the Three brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

so does this mean that we could join 3 with vodafones coverage, thats enough for me to jump ship :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Kenno90 wrote: »
    so does this mean that we could join 3 with vodafones coverage,

thats enough for me to jump ship :P

It will be interesting to see what happens here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It may mean little to the customer, they are not sharing spectrum, just sharing the masts. Each will have it's own independent network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hopefully voda takes over as they did in oz. looks like an orderly exit by 3 to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hopefully voda takes over as they did in oz. looks like an orderly exit by 3 to me.
    Looks like an end to cheap data so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It may mean little to the customer, they are not sharing spectrum, just sharing the masts. Each will have it's own independent network.

They already share masts and even 2g. This just means 3g will be shared, so a degradation of service for vodafone customers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

srsly78 wrote: »
    They already share masts and even 2g. This just means 3g will be shared, so a degradation of service for vodafone customers :(

3G Won't be shared. Meteor have the same agreement with O2 for the past 12 Months now.

The idea is they will Share Infrastruture so each operator can reduce their costs, VF will dramitically reduces costs, and THREE will gain by jumping on a VF tower without the overheads.

New base station equipment on the Market (RBS6000) allows 2 Operators to run simultaneously on the same site, so electricity and base station is shared, however up on the Tower 3 and Vodafone will have there own equipment.

At the end of the day there is really no benefit to the customer, just a reduction on infrastructure costs for the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

The customer will benefit in poor coverage areas if 3 or Vodafone add extra cells to the masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ahh ffs, don't tell me I have to share my 3G with all the yahoo's on Vodafone:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Will we get Vodafone's customer support? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Will this resolve the 2g/3g switching issue that has plagued 3 since day one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

it has been confirmed today that they have made a tech share deal with each other...and comreg has approved it.

hopefully in the next few month three's coverage around the country will improve a massive amount and also vodafone's 3g coverage will improve alot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Alot to be gained on both sides. Early days yet but don't be surprised if the other providers hop on board. Lots of savings to be made for companies who share technology in this way. It's the future I tell you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No good without full RAN sharing in rural areas ( most of the state in fact)

Advertisement