Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl refund and customer relations

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I purchased a toilet seat from their Ennis branches and it came out of its packaging and it was the last one in the branch. Got a plumber to fit it and it was only then I realized it was without fixing attachment to attach to the toilet bowl.
    Brought it back to store after I failed to purchase attachments elsewhere and I asked to see the manager and I was given assist manager. He seemed totally oblivious to my complaint till I told him I would pursue the store through the Small Claims Court and take it up with their head office and it was only then that he offered a refund. He then asked for the receipt and I told him I could not locate it. But the Assist Manager accepted it was a product they sold and eventually said "I’ll give you a full refund".
    The product cost €23.99 and I was given a refund of €18.00 and when I queried this I was told by this same guy that he checked it and that was what I paid for it. I took my slightly more than “half loaf” but told him I would pursue it further and asked where the maxim had gone of the “customer being always right” and I stated I was not satisfied with a partial refund as the product sold to me was not of merchantable quality.

Then comes head office, they in turn just brushed off my complaint and told me the matter was closed as far as they are concerned and no one apologising. After numerous complaints to I being dissatisfied the management of Lidl Head Office, are now hinging a full refund on I presenting a receipt this is totally ignoring the Assist Manager of their Ennis Branch accepted it was their product and it should have not being sold without attachments.
    The fact is I was part refunded implies quite clearly that your Ennis store accepted that the product sold was from the Lidl store and secondly the manager at the Ennis store clearly stated to me that he accepted that it was a Lidl product and secondly misinformed me he checked the store files and the refund he gave me was a full one. This is despite I stating this was not correct and I later verifying same on their website to the Customer Complaints. I also stated in Irish consumer Law it’s not essential to have a receipt for a refund where goods sold should not have being sold.

One wonders is this they way the generally treat their customers or is it a new get tough policy. I’m extremely irate to be treated like this and going on that kind of treatment I would never shop in Lidl again and also I’m not going to be brushed off by what I call a terrible lack of customer care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You were very lucky to get what you got as most places would give nothing without you providing a proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I purchased a toilet seat from their Ennis branches and it came out of its packaging and it was the last one in the branch. Got a plumber to fit it and it was only then I realized it was without fixing attachment to attach to the toilet bowl.
    Brought it back to store after I failed to purchase attachments elsewhere and I asked to see the manager and I was given assist manager. He seemed totally oblivious to my complaint till I told him I would pursue the store through the Small Claims Court and take it up with their head office and it was only then that he offered a refund. He then asked for the receipt and I told him I could not locate it. But the Assist Manager accepted it was a product they sold and eventually said "I’ll give you a full refund".
    The product cost €23.99 and I was given a refund of €18.00 and when I queried this I was told by this same guy that he checked it and that was what I paid for it. I took my slightly more than “half loaf” but told him I would pursue it further and asked where the maxim had gone of the “customer being always right” and I stated I was not satisfied with a partial refund as the product sold to me was not of merchantable quality.

Then comes head office, they in turn just brushed off my complaint and told me the matter was closed as far as they are concerned and no one apologising. After numerous complaints to I being dissatisfied the management of Lidl Head Office, are now hinging a full refund on I presenting a receipt this is totally ignoring the Assist Manager of their Ennis Branch accepted it was their product and it should have not being sold without attachments.
    The fact is I was part refunded implies quite clearly that your Ennis store accepted that the product sold was from the Lidl store and secondly the manager at the Ennis store clearly stated to me that he accepted that it was a Lidl product and secondly misinformed me he checked the store files and the refund he gave me was a full one. This is despite I stating this was not correct and I later verifying same on their website to the Customer Complaints. I also stated in Irish consumer Law it’s not essential to have a receipt for a refund where goods sold should not have being sold.

One wonders is this they way the generally treat their customers or is it a new get tough policy. I’m extremely irate to be treated like this and going on that kind of treatment I would never shop in Lidl again and also I’m not going to be brushed off by what I call a terrible lack of customer care.

No reciept, no refund.

Your lucky you got a refund, behappy with what you got, you shouldn't have got anything at all considering you had no reciept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

a) BIB Does this mean it was opened in the store when you bought it? If so, you really should have checked everything was in box before you bought the seat.

b) The customer is by no means always right! You go in with this attitude you will get attitude right back. Know your rights, don't presume you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 passiveshopper

Zhane wrote: »
    a) BIB Does this mean it was opened in the store when you bought it? If so, you really should have checked everything was in box before you bought the seat.

b) The customer is by no means always right! You go in with this attitude you will get attitude right back. Know your rights, don't presume you do.
    The store sold it as a complete product which it was not and I’m not a plumber so how was I to know it was incomplete. This is for the seller to state explicitly when selling something not up to standard as the presumption is for the customer to expect this.
    And the Assist Manager stated it was their product and secondly by the very fact he made a refund which he stated was full and was only partial is accepting it was Lidl that was the vendor. The toilet seat was only sold by Lidl....... it was not sold my any other sellers.
    As for the customer being “always right”, this is the first time I have experienced such what I call “piggish” behaviour, Aldi, Dunnes, Tesco are always more than willing to listen to and remedy customer issues and complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The store sold it as a complete product which it was not and I’m not a plumber so how was I to know it was incomplete. This is for the seller to state explicitly when selling something not up to standard as the presumption is for the customer to expect this.
    And the Assist Manager stated it was their product and secondly by the very fact he made a refund which he stated was full and was only partial is accepting it was Lidl that was the vendor. The toilet seat was only sold by Lidl....... it was not sold my any other sellers.
    As for the customer being “always right”, this is the first time I have experienced such what I call “piggish” behaviour, Aldi, Dunnes, Tesco are always more than willing to listen to and remedy customer issues and complaints.

Prices cannot change within the refund time limit. You would have to have bought the product more than 28 days ago. The price is now €18 so that's all you can get without proof you paid more. If parts are missing it qualifies as a faulty product and you could ask customer services to source a replacement for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Normally there's instructions telling you whats included in the package

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your biggest mistake war hiring a plumber to fit it.What did that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

So, the assistant manager does you a favour by refunding you despite the fact you have no receipt and what thanks does he get? Complaint to head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You went into a shop with a Toilet seat, with no proof of purchase and bits missing and explained you had a third party fit the thing.

I'm surprised you got anywhere tbh, well done to Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was the box open when you bought it? If it was it's up to you to verify all the items are correct.

Many times I've gone to Lidl/Aldi to purchase a special offer and they've only had a few open boxes left and I've not purchased them as I can't be ar**d checking for the contents in the shop and I know they'll be back again in a few months
    As for the customer being “always right”, this is the first time I have experienced such what I call “piggish” behaviour

You watch too much American TV. 90% of the time the customer is totally wrong but shops give in as it's easier. I've never worked retail but know several people who did/do and when a customer comes in "the customer is always right" they tended to reduce the amount of help they offered.

, Aldi, Dunnes, Tesco are always more than willing to listen to and remedy customer issues and complaints.

How many times have you gone back to the other shops when you bought open items and have no receipt? I think you'd get the same treatment.

Also while an item being faulty doesn't require a receipt you still need proof of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Without a receipt or PROOF of purchase, you are relying on goodwill.

I used to work for them and hate them with a vengence, but they are right.

This policy was brought in in all shops due to things being stolen and returned for a refund.

Unfortunately thats the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

This is the type of utter crap that retailers have to put up with every day.

Unless you are 100% certain of consumer law and knwo everything about it - don't quote it as youy'll end up looking a right eejit.

In my experience this type of customer is nearly always wrong and is a total pain in the ass. Even in these times, retailers don't want customers like this.

Btw - even witha recepit Lidl could have repaired the item or repaced the item. You have no absolute right to a refund unless the item cannot be repaired or replaced and to get a refund you must have proof of PURCHSE - not proof that it came from the store. (plenty of scum stealing things and then selling door to door and then item gets fault).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I always found Lidl/Aldi customer service very professional when returning an item.

Fair play to Lidl for offering you a refund, they didn't have to do this .

You went into a shop with a Toilet seat, with no proof of purchase and bits missing and explained you had a third party fit the thing.

I'm surprised you got anywhere tbh, well done to Lidl
    The assist manager accepted they sold the product and gave a partial refund which he claimed was a full one. Lidl was the only seller of this item and the sold it incomplete. I’m no plumber but a female office worker. And Lidl did not raise an argument against selling it incomplete.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Normally there's instructions telling you whats included in the package

To repeat I’m a female shopper non technical, non plumber as far as I was concerned it was sold complete otherwise I would not touch.

The assist manager accepted they sold the product and gave a partial refund which he claimed was a full one. Lidl was the only seller of this item and the sold it incomplete. I’m no plumber but a female office worker. And Lidl did not raise an argument against selling it incomplete.

If another customer opened the packaging or nicked parts that's neither here nor there.
    If there is genuinely a part missing from the contents ask for a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

How do we (or they) know you are didnt steal it?

There is no arguement its their product. Thats why the rules are there. I have seen so many scams and this is one of them.

I am sure you are genuine, I am sure you bought it, but in the case of a refund, you need to show it.

littlejp wrote: »
    So, the assistant manager does you a favour by refunding you despite the fact you have no receipt and what thanks does he get? Complaint to head office.
    He gave a partial refund claiming it was a full refund and he accepted that Lidl sold the product, so they are not disclaiming it was not their product. Head office states matter is closed in effect .....go away.

There is no arguement its their product. Thats why the rules are there. I have seen so many scams and this is one of them.

I am sure you are genuine, I am sure you bought it, but in the case of a refund, you need to show it.

The second issue is that people buy sat navs for €40 at warehouse sales then come into store to ask for a refund for the full amount. Without a receipt a refund can be granted at the managers discretion but always for the lowest selling price and in a resalable condition.

To repeat I’m a female shopper non technical, non plumber as far as I was concerned it was sold complete otherwise I would not touch.

What does being female have to do with it?

I'm female, I also work in an office funnily enough, but 1. I know how to check if all the pieces are in an open package I'm about to purchase 2. It's toilet seat, not a toilet, I'm sure the plumber must have thought it was hilarious that you hired him to attach a toilet seat! 3. The manager didn't admit you had bought it there, he couldn't possibly know such a thing, what he may have admitted is that it was a Lidl branded product, however without proof of PURCHASE, you don't have a leg to stand on and quite frankly should be embarrassed at how you've dealt with the situation.

• Advertisement

Steal a toilet seat....rather large item stealing is a bit farfetched and the supermarket accepts it was they that sold it. By the fact they made a refund although partial is recognition of this but the Ennis branch Assist Manager claims it was in full which it was not. And the reason I want a refund was the product was incomplete thus not fit for sale.

Steal a toilet seat....rather large item stealing is a bit farfetched and the supermarket accepts it was they that sold it. By the fact they made a refund although partial is recognition of this but the Ennis branch Assist Manager claims it was in full which it was not. And the reason I want a refund was the product was incomplete thus not fit for sale.

They made a partial refund because they couldn't be bothered arguing with you, can't blame them either, that's all. You've got no case.

As I said before. He gave you as much as he could as a goodwill gesture. You could have asked for a replacement if they accepted that the product was incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

When you got the refund the product was on sale at €18. With no proof that you purchased it at the higher price the shop gave you money back at current selling price. If the box was open you needed to check. All boxes have a list of contents on the side.

No one is agreeing with you here, Passive Shopper, and most people think Lidl dealt with you fairly and went above the letter of the law. Sorry but you'll have to chalk it down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

All your crying on over the few Euros and you are probably that ignorant to realise that the assistant manager was doing something he probably shouldnt have - giving you a refund.

If i where you i would keep my mouth shut and buy the assistant manager a drink if you see him out.

Cloud 9!

What does being female have to do with it?

I'm female, I also work in an office funnily enough, but 1. I know how to check if all the pieces are in an open package I'm about to purchase 2. It's toilet seat, not a toilet, I'm sure the plumber must have thought it was hilarious that you hired him to attach a toilet seat! 3. The manager didn't admit you had bought it there, he couldn't possibly know such a thing, what he may have admitted is that it was a Lidl branded product, however without proof of PURCHASE, you don't have a leg to stand on and quite frankly should be embarrassed at how you've dealt with the situation.
    You must know a lot of female technical minded toilet seat installers as far as I was concerned it would be as simple as using the old brackets on the new toilet seat but this did not do. I did not even know that it needed brackets. And he was a friend the plumber am I to feel embarrassed that I can’t install a toilet seat, and he thought it was totally irresponsible for Lidl to sell such without attachment brackets. And it was sold without packaging and if it was sold in packaging without brackets just how many would know it should be sold with brackets, I would guess very very few. And my understanding of Irish consumer law is that it’s not essential to have a receipt for defective products sold to get a refund. And yes the Ennis Branch accepted it was their product sold by their Branch and this is supported by the fact that a partial refund was made. And there is only 1 Branch in Ennis.

You must know a lot of female technical minded toilet seat installers as far as I was concerned it would be as simple as using the old brackets on the new toilet seat but this did not do. I did not even know that it needed brackets. And he was a friend the plumber am I to feel embarrassed that I can’t install a toilet seat, and he thought it was totally irresponsible for Lidl to sell such without attachment brackets. And it was sold without packaging and if it was sold in packaging without brackets just how many would know it should be sold with brackets, I would guess very very few. And my understanding of Irish consumer law is that it’s not essential to have a receipt for defective products sold to get a refund. And yes the Ennis Branch accepted it was their product sold by their Branch and this is supported by the fact that a partial refund was made. And there is only 1 Branch in Ennis.

I think I'll be buying the manager a pint after the tough day he had dealing with you.

Toilet seat installers. Ok.

As I said before. He gave you as much as he could as a goodwill gesture. You could have asked for a replacement if they accepted that the product was incomplete.
    In fact that’s what I wanted or could he check if I could get brackets as I failed to buy suitable ones in hardware store. I actually liked the toilet seat. But if you read my opening post it was the last one in the store that I purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Would you not have thought that if the packet was open that there was a possibility it might not contain everything? I dont think common sense has anything to do with what sex or how technical you are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement