Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymarcy

chessguy wrote: »
    @marymarcy good to hear you vit D is on the way up,
    you can speed it up if you take oil based drops under the tongue.

Reckon you had the following checked T3, FT3 and t4, FT4, as you are seeing an Endo ??

tpoab
    tgab
    TRAb

do they know what kind of hypothyroidism you have ??
    hashiomotos or T4 t3 conversion issue , or receptor uptake issue.??

If not ask they how they can determine this : most likely with the tests above )
    You need these results.

If you have them post them also results of any vitamin/ mineral tests especially vit B12 as this brings the brightness back .clears brain fog google it :)

Once these tests are done it will create a clear foundation to proceed with,your endo know this. :)

cortisol
    Tpo ab
    Tg ab

goodluck
    chessguy

Chessguy thanks for the response, you are very knowledgeable on all this!

Firstly, the Vitamin D is up from 24 to 76, thats since last November, the first endo had me on injections, the second guy who took over his post (and is now gone!) has me on D-Pearl (pharma nord), 3 per day, I think 1 per day is the recommendation on the box.

As far as I can tell, despite my requests, I think I have only had TSH and T4 tested, but I will make sure to ask on Friday. I've had various other blood tests, I think DHEA was one, I will ask for a full list on Friday. I had a short synacthen (?) test for adrenal function, which he seemed happy with. I'm not sure if my B12 has been tested at all, but this has been going on for 3 years, I'm on my second GP ( initial life long excellent GP didnt seem to see the need to send me to an Endo so i left in frustration) and its all getting a bit hazy!

As to what type of hypothyroid I have, well hashimotos hasnt been tested, and I'm pretty sure the test for that was done - thats the antibodies one isnt it? I have mentioned more than once the possibility of having a conversion problem, but the endo seemed to be less inclined to test for it than to just try T3 later down the line, which I thought was odd and will pursue again. Frankly I don't understand why T3, Reverse T3 etc havent been done, or why when they are requested, the labs seem to refuse to carry them out.

Glad I posted, you've helped clarify some things for me as to the questions i need to ask. It seems ridiculous that when I am still ticking 32 out of 42 symptoms of Hypothyroidism, that its not being pursued properly and I'm being fobbed off with ME. It may well be ME, but without investigating properly, how can they say that.

Again, thanks! Sorry this is so long. And again, any doctor recommendations that anyone can PM me, would be very welcome.

Oh, one last question, I am really sluggish, sore and slow in the morning, but perk up mightily at night, hence posting here past midnight when I should be in bed, does that point to an adrenal fatigue issue or something? Or am I just wired wrong!!!

Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

marymarcy

long posts are fiine :)

yes hashimotos shows raised antibodies.

If you get the tests done, . they will show a clearer indication of what is going on , no need for delay. not sure why they hold back on t3 medication , TI-TRE , Goldshield these are 2 brands of T3 available in Ireland.

when the labs above are done especially Ft3 ,and b12 in your case, (re brain fog)
    you may be able to define if it is a conversion issues due to lack of minerals , or an uptake issue.etc.

you mention
    regarding Oh, one last question, I am really sluggish, sore and slow in the morning, but perk up mightily at night, hence posting here past midnight when I should be in bed, does that point to an adrenal fatigue issue or something? Or am I just wired wrong!!!

Being sluggish in the morning often indicates lack of sleep and or lack of minerals/vitamins as the body recuperates when asleep this is when it does a lot of work and pulls on nutrients , it is busy at night especially the liver.

So if you are low on vits/minerals upon awakening you would expect to feel sluggish.
    vit b12 and b complex come to mind here , vit b12 as a sublingual vitamin.and B complex as a tablet to swallow .

Note the vit b2 in the b complex makes urine a lime green colour this is a good sign means you are absorbing it well , it does not mean you are taking too much , like some may presume.

If your body temp is low could also be you are low on t3, , or perhaps not converting the t4 well,
    but your results are required to paint a picture.

goodluck
    chessguy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

In a totally new one on me: 37 weeks pregnant and have a high pulse so docs decide to do an ECG and it shows up a mild Anterior ischaemia... Now the medical team reckon its "normal" in someone my age (26) with an underactive thyroid... Ive never heard of it and always associated any heart issues with hyperthyroidism... Anyone had anything similar? I have emailed my endo but will have to wait till he goes to work tomorrow: different hospitals.

They did tell me not to worry and they're repeating ECG tomorrow... Still though of course I'll worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Not that I want to enter a "knowledge competition", but there is no mandatory iodisation of salt in the EU, the consultation referred to above is 6 years old, the recommendation cited is by a trade organisation, and the fact that is has not been implemented suggests that the Commission felt it was not a runner.
    A recent Danish paper showed that following very careful introduction of iodisation of salt did show that iodine levels in the population normalised, but they also saw an increase in hypothyroidism:
    "The findings suggest that an increase in iodine intake of a population may, over time, lead to fewer cases of hyperthyroidism, whereas there may be more cases of autoimmune hypothyroidism –even when iodine intake is changed from deficient to adequate. The mechanism behind an iodine-induced increase in the incidence of hypothyroidism is unknown, but several mechanisms could be involved. Iodine has been associated with thyroid autoimmunity, and it has a number of autoregulatory inhibitory effects on thyroid hormone production and secretion . Moreover, excess iodine may lead to apoptosis of thyroid follicular cells as studied in in vitro systems."

It also appears according to the Food Safety Authority's Total Diet Study that iodine status of the general population appears to be adequate.

But in any case, I really don't intend to debate the whole iodine issue, I merely wanted to make sure that someone who doesn't know all that much about this, reads the general statement "iodine is good for your slow thyroid" and then runs out and gets kelp (is what so often happens) and then intoxicates themselves with high levels of iodine (and probably also arsenic).

I am also not a doctor, and therefore don't consider myself qualified to tell people what to take or not to take, but people should remember that vitamins, minerals and trace elements all have functions in the body, they are needed in certain amounts and they need to be in balance in the human body. If they're not, it can cause problems, some of them are also toxic in high doses.

marymarcy

long posts are fiine :)

yes hashimotos shows raised antibodies.

If you get the tests done, . they will show a clearer indication of what is going on , no need for delay. not sure why they hold back on t3 medication , TI-TRE , Goldshield these are 2 brands of T3 available in Ireland.

when the labs above are done especially Ft3 ,and b12 in your case, (re brain fog)
    you may be able to define if it is a conversion issues due to lack of minerals , or an uptake issue.etc.

you mention
    regarding Oh, one last question, I am really sluggish, sore and slow in the morning, but perk up mightily at night, hence posting here past midnight when I should be in bed, does that point to an adrenal fatigue issue or something? Or am I just wired wrong!!!

Being sluggish in the morning often indicates lack of sleep and or lack of minerals/vitamins as the body recuperates when asleep this is when it does a lot of work and pulls on nutrients , it is busy at night especially the liver.

So if you are low on vits/minerals upon awakening you would expect to feel sluggish.
    vit b12 and b complex come to mind here , vit b12 as a sublingual vitamin.and B complex as a tablet to swallow .

Note the vit b2 in the b complex makes urine a lime green colour this is a good sign means you are absorbing it well , it does not mean you are taking too much , like some may presume.

If your body temp is low could also be you are low on t3, , or perhaps not converting the t4 well,
    but your results are required to paint a picture.

goodluck
    chessguy.

Hi

Ok so got copies of all bloods from current GP, going back to Jan 2011 when I started with her, and waiting on results from previous GP.

Just looking at anything that showed up out of range, TSH has gone from 5.33, then 2.2, then 1.435, then 1.620, then 0.818 and currently 0.545.

Triglycerides consistently higher than they should be, currently on Ezetrol to bring this down.

CRP has been 11, 10 and 11 at various dates, says on the results that under 10 is normal for a healthy person.

Urea was low, 1.9 (range 2.1 -6.4), potassium high, 5.2 (3.5-5.0) in Jan 2011 but fine since. Also at that time i had a positive (plus 1) homogeneous ANA pattern on an Anti Nuclear Ab (IgG) test, but nothing was said to me about that.

August 2011, transferrin high, 3.5 (2.02-3.36).

Short synacthen results, cortisol 713 at 9am, 950 after half an hour, 1170 after 1 hour. These seemed out of range as per the ranges given but the Endo never said anything about that afterwards.

The only other thing is December 2011, lymphocytes high, 3.57 (1-3) and Eosinophills high, 0.52 (0.02 - 0.5), with lymphocytes remaining high in March 2012 at 3.22 (range as before).

So if any of that means anything to anyone, fire away.

Unless I don't recognise the abbreviation, B12, T4, T3 and FT3 have not been tested.

Thanks again for all the help!

Mary

• Advertisement

cltt97 wrote: »
    Not that I want to enter a "knowledge competition", but there is no mandatory iodisation of salt in the EU, the consultation referred to above is 6 years old, the recommendation cited is by a trade organisation, and the fact that is has not been implemented suggests that the Commission felt it was not a runner.
    A recent Danish paper showed that following very careful introduction of iodisation of salt did show that iodine levels in the population normalised, but they also saw an increase in hypothyroidism:
    "The findings suggest that an increase in iodine intake of a population may, over time, lead to fewer cases of hyperthyroidism, whereas there may be more cases of autoimmune hypothyroidism –even when iodine intake is changed from deficient to adequate. The mechanism behind an iodine-induced increase in the incidence of hypothyroidism is unknown, but several mechanisms could be involved. Iodine has been associated with thyroid autoimmunity, and it has a number of autoregulatory inhibitory effects on thyroid hormone production and secretion . Moreover, excess iodine may lead to apoptosis of thyroid follicular cells as studied in in vitro systems."

It also appears according to the Food Safety Authority's Total Diet Study that iodine status of the general population appears to be adequate.

But in any case, I really don't intend to debate the whole iodine issue, I merely wanted to make sure that someone who doesn't know all that much about this, reads the general statement "iodine is good for your slow thyroid" and then runs out and gets kelp (is what so often happens) and then intoxicates themselves with high levels of iodine (and probably also arsenic).

I am also not a doctor, and therefore don't consider myself qualified to tell people what to take or not to take, but people should remember that vitamins, minerals and trace elements all have functions in the body, they are needed in certain amounts and they need to be in balance in the human body. If they're not, it can cause problems, some of them are also toxic in high doses.

@cltt97

"knowledge competition" correct we do not need this. It would serve no purpose.

We are all here to learn from each other and contribute.

We are both sharing our views and what we see ,and have learned. It is good to have an open airing of ideas ,that's how we see both sides especially on topics like iodine as it is controversial
    And this generates a "opinions which are mind opening"

This is a doc we both read and we both came to different conclusions which is fine :)

Regarding iodine in the prev post..

"The European legislator also >> agrees to USI as laid down in recital 15 of the proposed
    Regulation on the addition of vitamins and minerals and other substances to foods...

now see new links below

Iodine deficiency in the UK and Ireland

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2808%2961390-2/fulltext

you need to say yes to view the next site at the popup otherwise tehy will block you.

They are realizing the impact of iodine,

approximately >> 100 years after it was proven to be beneficial in "certain circumstances".

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/guests/2009/06/irish-laboratory-to-test-for-levels-of-iodine-in-children.html

Irish laboratory to test for levels of iodine in children

http://www.ucd.ie/news/aug06/080306_iodine.htm

Despite the importance of iodine in the diet of pregnant women, Ireland and the UK have low levels of consumption.

In regard to kelp it is not a good idea as linked in my sub links, on prev posts.

"Iodine intake via seaweed is accompanied by thyrotoxic metals and halides."

I am not a doctor either , issue is many of our Doctors do not do the basic mineral and vitamin tests , they seem to be way behind America ,>> perhaps we exported our best.

REPLY to toxic in high doses

That is precisely why I suggest a mineral and vit tests are done ,( these tests are done in labs and reviewed by the medical teams.And hopefully acted upon.

They have a better picture , and deficiencies can be met by diet or nutrients ,

Not to take minerals and vitamins , when required can well be toxic and fatal.

I would not consider this as medical advice. But logical Advice.

The above should be requested by a GP or Endo ,

But far to often even the basic Ft3 test is not done in Ireland as we know.

That's why we are here to share experiences and enlighten each other .

These thyroid posts have generated a lot of interest,

And through posts we can see clearly why , our
    treatment for thyroid issues is unfortunately not being met by the medical establishment.

goodluck

chessguy

Flouride >> Toothpaste..

Fluoride <<<<<<<<<
    Up until the 1950s, European doctors used fluoride to reduce the activity of the thyroid gland for people suffering from overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). The daily dose of fluoride which people are now receiving in fluoridated communities (1.6 to 6.6 mg/day) actually exceeds the dose of fluoride found to depress the thyroid gland (2.3 to 4.5 mg/day). Hypothyroidism is currently one of the most common medical problems in the U.S. Synthroid, the drug doctors prescribe to treat hypothyroidism, was the fourth most prescribed drug in the U.S. in 2000. Symptoms of hypothyroidism include depression, fatigue, weight gain, muscle and joint pains, increased cholesterol levels and heart disease. From a recent University of York report, considered the "final word on fluoridation," it was shown that symptoms described in the literature on fluoride's adverse health effects are identical to those observed in thyroid dysfunction, and the condition known as dental fluorosis is a direct result of fluoride-induced iodine deficiency during the time of enamel formation. It showed an increase in thyroid cancers in the fluoridated areas when compared to non-fluoridated areas.

goodluck
    chessguiy

cyning wrote: »
    In a totally new one on me: 37 weeks pregnant and have a high pulse so docs decide to do an ECG and it shows up a mild Anterior ischaemia... Now the medical team reckon its "normal" in someone my age (26) with an underactive thyroid... Ive never heard of it and always associated any heart issues with hyperthyroidism... Anyone had anything similar? I have emailed my endo but will have to wait till he goes to work tomorrow: different hospitals.

They did tell me not to worry and they're repeating ECG tomorrow... Still though of course I'll worry.

@cyning,
    its good news they have it under review,so not to worry you look to be in good hands.

I have heard of this related to low Ft3.And not age related.
    I am quite sure they will check this too along with your electrolytes (Minerals)
    But your Ft3 is under control ? >

goodluck
    chessguy

marymarcy wrote: »
    Hi

Ok so got copies of all bloods from current GP, going back to Jan 2011 when I started with her, and waiting on results from previous GP.

Just looking at anything that showed up out of range, TSH has gone from 5.33, then 2.2, then 1.435, then 1.620, then 0.818 and currently 0.545.

Triglycerides consistently higher than they should be, currently on Ezetrol to bring this down.

CRP has been 11, 10 and 11 at various dates, says on the results that under 10 is normal for a healthy person.

Urea was low, 1.9 (range 2.1 -6.4), potassium high, 5.2 (3.5-5.0) in Jan 2011 but fine since. Also at that time i had a positive (plus 1) homogeneous ANA pattern on an Anti Nuclear Ab (IgG) test, but nothing was said to me about that.

August 2011, transferrin high, 3.5 (2.02-3.36).

Short synacthen results, cortisol 713 at 9am, 950 after half an hour, 1170 after 1 hour. These seemed out of range as per the ranges given but the Endo never said anything about that afterwards.

The only other thing is December 2011, lymphocytes high, 3.57 (1-3) and Eosinophills high, 0.52 (0.02 - 0.5), with lymphocytes remaining high in March 2012 at 3.22 (range as before).

So if any of that means anything to anyone, fire away.

Unless I don't recognize the abbreviation, B12, T4, T3 and FT3 have not been tested.

Thanks again for all the help!

Mary

@marymarcy,

Long post get a cuppa :)

looks like you did not have these tested B12, T4, T3 and FT3

tpoab
    tgab
    TRAb
    they are quite important.. your Endo knows this, better to get all this done instead of waiting months ..and prolonging the diagnosis.

Ezetrol this is controversial its a bit of a hot topic ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-513729/The-NHS-spent-74m-new-heart-pill-makers-knew-didnt-work-How-COULD-happen.html

maybe you can show it to your Doc, perhaps he has a good suggestion..

your cortisol results look to be a bit off , but a few tests will show why , because if you have inflammation this result can be thrown off, also if one is stressed it can be raised too.
    So one cortisol test is not enough.

CRP the test you had

C-Reactive Protein [CRP]
    CRP is one of the proteins normally present in blood, but its level rises when there is inflammation in the body,

Inflammation can be caused by infection or by other diseases. The normal level for CRP is less than 10mg/l.

below 10 Normal but for most people, normal is below 3
    above 10 CRP rises higher the more inflammation there is

CRP is a useful marker that all is not quite right, and a fall in CRP usually suggests that the problem is improving. It can change quite quickly, day by day in an acute illness. Commonly people with a very high CRP also have a fever.

your doc may recommend the Hs Crp and Esr test ,too.

How high are your Triglycerides and what is the Ref Lab range, it should be on the results

Have you had a 10 hour fasting cholesterol level test done ? hmmm ...this is the test that doc usually recommends..... this will show a cholesterol profile.

Here they measure the 3 basic main types of cholesterol
    Total cholesteol
    lDL
    HDL
    triglycerides

This below is from a previous post I wrote.

lets take a closer look.what is this cholesterol stuff is it really a baddy

Ok cholesterol has 4 "basic units " for now.

Firstly they are called total cholesterol when put together.

triglycerides basically bad we want this down.

To lower these stop sugar ,Basically all carbs affect this, Period as sugar directly raises this,
    bread and potatoes pasta, wheat,. are sugar yes they are sugar..
    only thing they have diff. shapes .But they are bad.

Some carbs like healthy walnuts chessnuts, and veg are great.

All juices are bad, fruit should only be eaten whole.

Even the" innocent" brand are gently pasteurised what a joke pasteurised
    LMAO , means it it is flash superheated and kills ALL its nutrients, period.And you are then left with sugar, in a fancy carton.Innocent my A@@X&quot;

green veg is important for thyroid issues, only eat cooked goitrogenic foods circa 4 hours after medication.Watch out for products with soya, Avoid them.

Hmm do your fish capsules contain soya just check..

Hdl good cholesterol is raised with casual exercise ,Not hard exercise,to start with
    say a 30- 40 min walk a day.

Now LDL
    this has good and bad in it it has small fluffy cholesterol which is bad

it also has large fluffy cholesterol which is good,and helps us.

so a doc see's high ldl as bad but that is incorrect as in Ireland the real cholesterol test is not readily available.They do not define the large or small.

the small ldl cholesterol jamms in the vein walls and it stops and disrupts electrical signals basically, causing bad blockages, and ruptures.

But why Simply because you ate too much sugar and hydrogenated fat and margarine ,

Normal Organic butter and animal fat (unless deep fried) can never cause this affect,they actually help with good veins.if you have a particular gene apoe 4 combination, this fat can possibly raise small Bad ldl cholesterol.

so how do we convert the small bad LDl to friendly large fluffy balls,

hmm fish oil , they all say..

well lets have a closer look.

good fish oil lowers triglycerides , but but but it also >>>it raises bad lDL cholesterol.unless taken with say crushed garlic,(bet it does not say this on the Bottle
    ref
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9022529

this fish oil I take is great no waste and nitrogen flushed so it does not go bad , bad fish oil like seven seas etc, sells well but does more harm then good,

Keep fish oil in the fridge if you absolutely must buy capsules do a bite test if it tastes fishy or rancid throw it away,
    Good fish oil never tastes fishy.

Aldi do good red salmon not the pink salmon thats not as good but okay too. , the salmon is tinned and is real wild salmon which is great.

Say with a garlic dressing with corriander or parsley leaves , lots of important vitamin A in them

Yes Important for the thyroid

Special note on corriander it carries bad heavy toxic metals out of your body so if you have never had corriander leaves before , do not have it say more that 3 times a week, if you do you may experience tingle sensations this is the toxins leaving you body and passing through your blood,but may just feel weird,

Its like say from eating a very bad diet and switching to an excellant diet , its a big change for you.

remember

vitamins A, D, E, and K are called fat-soluble vitamins best taken with some kind of fat,if you want the benefits.
    Only buy oils in dark glass bottles more about this another day.

virgin cold olive oil dressing ,Ideal for this .Lets say mixed with organic creme fraiche.

Salmon or mackeral none smoked should be eaten ideally 3 times a week.

aVoid farmed salmon even when it says ORGANIC . THEY ARE FULL OF LICE ARE FED PINK DYES, google it if you want.

the only real wild salmon in Ireland is tinned,

Organic just means the salmon is farmed it is fed crap on a fish farm.

The omega 3 in free range eggs helps reduce cholesterol

but how because eggs are high in cholesterol ?

it is the choline effect it carries bad cholesterol away, cook them softly in organic coconut oil.Keeps yokes soft.Eggs contain good cholesterol it goes bad if you deep fry and use margarine etc..

Try to eat free range as much as possible it is important for people with Endocrine issues.
    Its to do with the natural omega 3.

Grass fed lambs liver is good for this too.it clears bad cholesterol
    stop all margarine, and all marg mixes.
    Twica a month would be ideal.

Most cholesterol is made in the body very few people are affected by cholesterol in food,unless they have a a particular gene apoe 4 combination.

mothers milk is mainly cholesterol we need cholesterol,

Our brains are full of good cholesterol.

Special note LDL large bad cholesterol ones can raise too if the FT3 is low , as they share the same receptor.,

When you have enought Ft3 it " it creates more LDL receptors so the bad LDl can be cleared , and then you bad cholesterol lowers ..Voila.

your Endo know this , run it by him.:)

goodluck
    chessguy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ya I ke t3&t4 (titre and eltroxin). I'm slightly underactive at the moment but that is purely because of pregnancy. it's very very difficult to control this in pregnancy!

In other really awful news press release from Irish medicine board due to quality issues the manufacture of titre has been stopped: http://www.imb.ie/EN/Publications/Publications/TiTre-Tablets-20mcg-liothyronine--Important-Safety-Information-from-the-Irish-Medicines-Board-.aspx

So anyone who takes it needs to start making alternative arrangements. It's the only thing that ever gave me any improvement I am gutted :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Chessguy, every year I have a full blood count. It includes liver and kidney function, vitamin b12, vitamin d, vit b6, vit a, vit c, iron, selenium, manganese, potassium...and a lot more. Everything is always normal, except iron which is borderline but still normal. B12 is always looked at carefully, because my sister who is also on 100mg eltroxin has low b12. But mine has always been perfectly in range. Will definitely be asking about t3 next time, thank you for your links.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

In other really awful news press release from Irish medicine board due to quality issues the manufacture of titre has been stopped:

So anyone who takes it needs to start making alternative arrangements. It's the only thing that ever gave me any improvement I am gutted :(

That's terrible, but thank god it was detected. My T3 tablets are liothyronine, so you can definitely get that instead. My pharmacy had to order them in for me though.

@marymarcy,

Long post get a cuppa :)

looks like you did not have these tested B12, T4, T3 and FT3

tpoab
    tgab
    TRAb
    they are quite important.. your Endo knows this, better to get all this done instead of waiting months ..and prolonging the diagnosis.

Ezetrol this is controversial its a bit of a hot topic ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-513729/The-NHS-spent-74m-new-heart-pill-makers-knew-didnt-work-How-COULD-happen.html

maybe you can show it to your Doc, perhaps he has a good suggestion..

your cortisol results look to be a bit off , but a few tests will show why , because if you have inflammation this result can be thrown off, also if one is stressed it can be raised too.
    So one cortisol test is not enough.

CRP the test you had

C-Reactive Protein [CRP]
    CRP is one of the proteins normally present in blood, but its level rises when there is inflammation in the body,

Inflammation can be caused by infection or by other diseases. The normal level for CRP is less than 10mg/l.

below 10 Normal but for most people, normal is below 3
    above 10 CRP rises higher the more inflammation there is

CRP is a useful marker that all is not quite right, and a fall in CRP usually suggests that the problem is improving. It can change quite quickly, day by day in an acute illness. Commonly people with a very high CRP also have a fever.

your doc may recommend the Hs Crp and Esr test ,too.

How high are your Triglycerides and what is the Ref Lab range, it should be on the results

Have you had a 10 hour fasting cholesterol level test done ? hmmm ...this is the test that doc usually recommends..... this will show a cholesterol profile.

Here they measure the 3 basic main types of cholesterol
    Total cholesteol
    lDL
    HDL
    triglycerides

This below is from a previous post I wrote.

lets take a closer look.what is this cholesterol stuff is it really a baddy

Ok cholesterol has 4 "basic units " for now.

Firstly they are called total cholesterol when put together.

triglycerides basically bad we want this down.

To lower these stop sugar ,Basically all carbs affect this, Period as sugar directly raises this,
    bread and potatoes pasta, wheat,. are sugar yes they are sugar..
    only thing they have diff. shapes .But they are bad.

Some carbs like healthy walnuts chessnuts, and veg are great.

All juices are bad, fruit should only be eaten whole.

Even the" innocent" brand are gently pasteurised what a joke pasteurised
    LMAO , means it it is flash superheated and kills ALL its nutrients, period.And you are then left with sugar, in a fancy carton.Innocent my A@@X&quot;

green veg is important for thyroid issues, only eat cooked goitrogenic foods circa 4 hours after medication.Watch out for products with soya, Avoid them.

Hmm do your fish capsules contain soya just check..

Hdl good cholesterol is raised with casual exercise ,Not hard exercise,to start with
    say a 30- 40 min walk a day.

Now LDL
    this has good and bad in it it has small fluffy cholesterol which is bad

it also has large fluffy cholesterol which is good,and helps us.

so a doc see's high ldl as bad but that is incorrect as in Ireland the real cholesterol test is not readily available.They do not define the large or small.

the small ldl cholesterol jamms in the vein walls and it stops and disrupts electrical signals basically, causing bad blockages, and ruptures.

But why Simply because you ate too much sugar and hydrogenated fat and margarine ,

Normal Organic butter and animal fat (unless deep fried) can never cause this affect,they actually help with good veins.if you have a particular gene apoe 4 combination, this fat can possibly raise small Bad ldl cholesterol.

so how do we convert the small bad LDl to friendly large fluffy balls,

hmm fish oil , they all say..

well lets have a closer look.

good fish oil lowers triglycerides , but but but it also >>>it raises bad lDL cholesterol.unless taken with say crushed garlic,(bet it does not say this on the Bottle
    ref
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9022529

this fish oil I take is great no waste and nitrogen flushed so it does not go bad , bad fish oil like seven seas etc, sells well but does more harm then good,

Keep fish oil in the fridge if you absolutely must buy capsules do a bite test if it tastes fishy or rancid throw it away,
    Good fish oil never tastes fishy.

Aldi do good red salmon not the pink salmon thats not as good but okay too. , the salmon is tinned and is real wild salmon which is great.

Say with a garlic dressing with corriander or parsley leaves , lots of important vitamin A in them

Yes Important for the thyroid

Special note on corriander it carries bad heavy toxic metals out of your body so if you have never had corriander leaves before , do not have it say more that 3 times a week, if you do you may experience tingle sensations this is the toxins leaving you body and passing through your blood,but may just feel weird,

Its like say from eating a very bad diet and switching to an excellant diet , its a big change for you.

remember

vitamins A, D, E, and K are called fat-soluble vitamins best taken with some kind of fat,if you want the benefits.
    Only buy oils in dark glass bottles more about this another day.

virgin cold olive oil dressing ,Ideal for this .Lets say mixed with organic creme fraiche.

Salmon or mackeral none smoked should be eaten ideally 3 times a week.

aVoid farmed salmon even when it says ORGANIC . THEY ARE FULL OF LICE ARE FED PINK DYES, google it if you want.

the only real wild salmon in Ireland is tinned,

Organic just means the salmon is farmed it is fed crap on a fish farm.

The omega 3 in free range eggs helps reduce cholesterol

but how because eggs are high in cholesterol ?

it is the choline effect it carries bad cholesterol away, cook them softly in organic coconut oil.Keeps yokes soft.Eggs contain good cholesterol it goes bad if you deep fry and use margarine etc..

Try to eat free range as much as possible it is important for people with Endocrine issues.
    Its to do with the natural omega 3.

Grass fed lambs liver is good for this too.it clears bad cholesterol
    stop all margarine, and all marg mixes.
    Twica a month would be ideal.

Most cholesterol is made in the body very few people are affected by cholesterol in food,unless they have a a particular gene apoe 4 combination.

mothers milk is mainly cholesterol we need cholesterol,

Our brains are full of good cholesterol.

Special note LDL large bad cholesterol ones can raise too if the FT3 is low , as they share the same receptor.,

When you have enought Ft3 it " it creates more LDL receptors so the bad LDl can be cleared , and then you bad cholesterol lowers ..Voila.

your Endo know this , run it by him.:)

goodluck
    chessguy

Hi again.

Lots to take in there.

As you say, I can't see any sign of T4, T3, FT3 or B12 in the results I have, nor the tpoab, tgab or trab. However, these may have been done by the Endo, so I will try and get a copy of any results he has on Friday.

Ezetrol is only recent, prior to that I was on Rosuvastatin. I'd be happy to come off it, however there is a history of heart issues in my dad's side of the family. The good and bad cholesterol seem fine now, its only the triglycerides that are out of range, hence the change to Ezetrol which the GP said will specifically target triglycerides.

I've always had fasting cholesterol test done, and overall the figure has ranged from well over 7 (pre-medication) to 5 in December 2011. Triglycerides have been 2.79 (range 0.46 - 1.6), then 1.98, then 3.38. The range given for the last two figures is 0.5 to 1.7.

My diet has lots of good points, lots of fruit and veg, mostly home cooked food, but have a big chocolate weakness. The fatigue and muscle weakness, and the fact that I recover so slowly after mental or physical "exertion" (minimal!!) means even a 30 minute walk would be a very big deal for me, and if I force the issue, it usually results in having to take the following morning off work. So its hard to work on the triglycerides. On a bad day, I can't go for a walk, or a look around the shops, or concentrate to read or watch television or talk to people, to be honest on a bad day a shower is a big deal, so unfortunately chocolate is one of the few "treats" or amusements that doesnt require energy to be expended!

Cortisol has only been done once, so I will ask to have it done again.

ESR has been tested twice, bothe times it was 10 (range 1-12).

CRP was Behring Nephelometry CRP. I will ask about the Hs CRP.

Thanks again for all the help, it is really helping me to focus on what needs to be done and what questions need to be asked.

Mary

Hi again.

Lots to take in there.

As you say, I can't see any sign of T4, T3, FT3 or B12 in the results I have, nor the tpoab, tgab or trab. However, these may have been done by the Endo, so I will try and get a copy of any results he has on Friday.

Ezetrol is only recent, prior to that I was on Rosuvastatin. I'd be happy to come off it, however there is a history of heart issues in my dad's side of the family. The good and bad cholesterol seem fine now, its only the triglycerides that are out of range, hence the change to Ezetrol which the GP said will specifically target triglycerides.

I've always had fasting cholesterol test done, and overall the figure has ranged from well over 7 (pre-medication) to 5 in December 2011. Triglycerides have been 2.79 (range 0.46 - 1.6), then 1.98, then 3.38. The range given for the last two figures is 0.5 to 1.7.

My diet has lots of good points, lots of fruit and veg, mostly home cooked food, but have a big chocolate weakness. The fatigue and muscle weakness, and the fact that I recover so slowly after mental or physical "exertion" (minimal!!) means even a 30 minute walk would be a very big deal for me, and if I force the issue, it usually results in having to take the following morning off work. So its hard to work on the triglycerides. On a bad day, I can't go for a walk, or a look around the shops, or concentrate to read or watch television or talk to people, to be honest on a bad day a shower is a big deal, so unfortunately chocolate is one of the few "treats" or amusements that doesnt require energy to be expended!

Cortisol has only been done once, so I will ask to have it done again.

ESR has been tested twice, both times it was 10 (range 1-12).

CRP was Behring Nephelometry CRP. I will ask about the Hs CRP.

Thanks again for all the help, it is really helping me to focus on what needs to be done and what questions need to be asked.

Mary

@marymarcy,

Below published Medical article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14695926

This is a clip from the link

"Administration of ubiquinone with statins, leading to its increase in plasma, lymphocytes and liver may cooperate in counteracting the adverse effects of statins, as already pointed out by various authors on the basis of human and animal studies.

So a "basic translation all statins reduce co enzyme q10, so coenzyme q10 should be taken with statins, like Rosuvastatin

Coenzyme is Very important for people on statins.

Run this by your Doc,#

co - enzyme q10 >> there are 2 types use Ubiquinol (best absorbed by the body) and not Ubiquinone.

Chocolate and sugar drinks turn directly into triglycerides,no exceptions.

Perhaps 90 % Lindt, my favourite
    is an option ? dark chocolate for its taste and its antioxidants. :)

Or Green and blacks 100% chocolate drink , Tesco's and Dunne's carry it.

A home exercise bike is a good form of low impact exercise,yes even while nibbling on Dark Chocolate.

The medics need to work on what is actually causing the inflammation,
    as the ESR and CRP indicate inflammation,

Goodluck
    chessguy

Ya I ke t3&t4 (titre and eltroxin). I'm slightly underactive at the moment but that is purely because of pregnancy. it's very very difficult to control this in pregnancy!

In other really awful news press release from Irish medicine board due to quality issues the manufacture of titre has been stopped: http://www.imb.ie/EN/Publications/Publications/TiTre-Tablets-20mcg-liothyronine--Important-Safety-Information-from-the-Irish-Medicines-Board-.aspx

Yes TI_-Tre is unstable I agree, I noticed my temperatures were unstable.

when I was i the chemist a couple of days ago , I requested Goldshield T3 as their T4 Eltroxin seems to be stable.
    And they ordered it in.

I expect their T3 will be better formulated.

Ask your Endo spacing your T3 out in perhaps 2-3 doses over the day may help fluctuations.

Alterations in metabolism occur during pregnancy. all natures design :)

Ideally T3 should be taken in 2 doses spread out otherwise it causes spikes.

goodluck
    chessguy

@marymarcy,

Below published Medical article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14695926

This is a clip from the link

"Administration of ubiquinone with statins, leading to its increase in plasma, lymphocytes and liver may cooperate in counteracting the adverse effects of statins, as already pointed out by various authors on the basis of human and animal studies.

So a "basic translation all statins reduce co enzyme q10, so coenzyme q10 should be taken with statins, like Rosuvastatin

Coenzyme is Very important for people on statins.

Run this by your Doc,#

co - enzyme q10 >> there are 2 types use Ubiquinol (best absorbed by the body) and not Ubiquinone.

Chocolate and sugar drinks turn directly into triglycerides,no exceptions.

Perhaps 90 % Lindt, my favourite
    is an option ? dark chocolate for its taste and its antioxidants. :)

Or Green and blacks 100% chocolate drink , Tesco's and Dunne's carry it.

A home exercise bike is a good form of low impact exercise,yes even while nibbling on Dark Chocolate.

The medics need to work on what is actually causing the inflammation,
    as the ESR and CRP indicate inflammation,

Goodluck
    chessguy

Thanks again, hopefully I will be able to express myself to the Endo and get somewhere this time. Do you mind me asking Chessguy who your own Endo or doctor is? If you could PM me that would be great, if not no problem.

Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 6 june12

since my last posting, I've been taking b12, magnesium citrate and a multivitamin but the pins and needles have got worse. I now have numbness in at least one area at any one time. Sometimes its a bit painful. I've been reading up on it over the last few days and I've been taking the wrong type or oral b12 to have any effect.

I didn't want to go back to the my GP that gave me the lecture on upping my eltroxin so I went to see doctor that took my bloods the last time instead. I went armed with loads of information from this site and others ready for a battle but in the end it wasn't necessary. He seemed to be pretty well up to date on thyroid conditions. He reckons that about 20% of Irish women have a thyroid disorder and only about half of them have been diagnosed. He said its a complete disgrace that there is not more awareness.

He was happy to prescribe b12 injections despite my levels being in the labs normal range (309) and he didn't have a problem with me increasing my eltroxin. It turns out I do have Hashimotos. He tested for it, I just didn't recognise it in the blood results.

My ferritin and calcium levels are a little on the low side of normal. He's suggested that I work on my calcium levels first before addressing the ferritin levels because calcium and iron interfere with each other.

I've also be reading about the links between Ha****motos and celiac disease and I asked him about that. I don't have any major symptoms but over the years I've cut back on gluten products (without realising it was gluten I was cutting back on) because I tended to feel a bit lighter without them. He said he'll test for it with the next set of bloods. I hope that comes back negative but it would explain the malabsorption issues and I'm vegetarian (which would also explain the b12 levels) so my diet is restricted enough.

By the way, does anyone else have Geographic tongue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue)? A dentist spotted that I had it about 10 years ago and said it was down to malnutrition. I mentioned it to a GP at the time but she completely dismissed it and I forgot all about it until recently. I've been reading up about it and they think there is a link with vitamin b deficiencies. It means my b12 deficiency probably goes back a long way.

june12 wrote: »
    since my last posting, I've been taking b12, magnesium citrate and a multivitamin but the pins and needles have got worse. I now have numbness in at least one area at any one time. Sometimes its a bit painful. I've been reading up on it over the last few days and I've been taking the wrong type or oral b12 to have any effect.

I didn't want to go back to the my GP that gave me the lecture on upping my eltroxin so I went to see doctor that took my bloods the last time instead. I went armed with loads of information from this site and others ready for a battle but in the end it wasn't necessary. He seemed to be pretty well up to date on thyroid conditions. He reckons that about 20% of Irish women have a thyroid disorder and only about half of them have been diagnosed. He said its a complete disgrace that there is not more awareness.

He was happy to prescribe b12 injections despite my levels being in the labs normal range (309) and he didn't have a problem with me increasing my eltroxin. It turns out I do have Hashimotos. He tested for it, I just didn't recognise it in the blood results.

My ferritin and calcium levels are a little on the low side of normal. He's suggested that I work on my calcium levels first before addressing the ferritin levels because calcium and iron interfere with each other.

I've also be reading about the links between Ha****motos and celiac disease and I asked him about that. I don't have any major symptoms but over the years I've cut back on gluten products (without realising it was gluten I was cutting back on) because I tended to feel a bit lighter without them. He said he'll test for it with the next set of bloods. I hope that comes back negative but it would explain the malabsorption issues and I'm vegetarian (which would also explain the b12 levels) so my diet is restricted enough.

By the way, does anyone else have Geographic tongue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue)? A dentist spotted that I had it about 10 years ago and said it was down to malnutrition. I mentioned it to a GP at the time but she completely dismissed it and I forgot all about it until recently. I've been reading up about it and they think there is a link with vitamin b deficiencies. It means my b12 deficiency probably goes back a long way.

Hi June, thats all very interesting information, hope you are feeling ok. THat doctor sounds like he is on the ball, do you mind me asking where you are based or if you would mind PMing me his details? I'm getting ready for a battle in the morning with current Endo so good to hear that you didnt have to battle this time anyway!

Mary

Hi Mary,

I've sent you a pm.

@june12
    Lack of vit B12 over a longer periiod does look like a likely suspect of the Geo tounge.
    But you could check this comprehensive articel it's a long read.
    http://geographictongue.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GeographicTongue.pdf

hmmmm.... vit B12
    here we go..............

Why does vitamin B12 deficiency result in >>> anaemia?
    The Red blood cells are made in the bone marrow and circulate in the blood.
    Their life expectancy is circa 4 months.
    we know Our body needs iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid,
    to make more red blood cells. If there is a lack of >>>>one or more of these nutrients, anaemia can develop.
    So they all need to be brought up like your Doc suggests.

Vitamin B12 is essential for the nervous system, which is why a deficiency can also cause inflammation of the nerves

ESR and CRP are blood tests for inflamation may be useful ..... ask you Doc..

Vit b12 absorbtion...Detailed.....
    Two steps are required for the body to absorb vitamin B12 from food.
    First, hydrochloric acid in the stomach separates vitamin B12 from the protein to which vitamin B12 is attached in food.
    After this, vitamin B12 combines with a protein made by the stomach called intrinsic factor and is absorbed by the body. Some people have pernicious anemia, a condition where they cannot make intrinsic factor.

Now lets back track What can cause this type of anaemia? issues ???/

>>>>Not eating enough foods that contain vitamin B12.

A vegetarian or vegan diet can cause deficiency because vitamin B12 is only found in foods of animal origin, such as meat, fish, eggs and milk.

Inability of the small intestine ( caused by >>>>>>Gluten issues perhaps ?? )to absorb vitamin B12.

As a result, they have trouble absorbing vitamin B12 from all foods and dietary supplements.

Dr Davis wrote the follwing it's worth a read.
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/fr/Wheat-Belly-By-Dr-William-Davis.htm

Good idea avoiding the gluten , nice to see the doc gave you B12 injections.

Might be a good idea to have vitamin D in the upper range too.

goodluck
    chessguy

• Advertisement

Hi Mary,

I've sent you a pm.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

i appreciate getting an understanding of how to read ones own bloods, not necessarily diagnostics here.
    i am deaf, very and have word discrimmination so when i try to piece together stuff written down it really does help.
    long tracts do tend to throw me now as i am so poorly, this way i can try to take bite by bite and more understanding.
    i am by no means stupid but need this type of input and really appreciate it.
    ok, here again to the questions asked.

I will type verbatim what the folate and ferritin results say, cos i dont know how to read it...
    FOLATE
    sample type SERUM
    Cliical observations NO CLINICAL DETAILS
    FOL3:FOLATE 11.3 nmol/L 7.0-46.4
    FERRITIN
    skip sampe and clinical as the same
    FER:Ferritin 11.30 nmol 10.00-204.00

Only see Free T4 no Free T3
    Vit B12 is always high as due to crohns disease i get this by injection and i have always been worried that its consistently high and all they say 'ah it doesnt matter, you cannot overdose on vit b12!' if so why have a value at all if it doesnt matter!
    here it is....760 pmol/L 139-651

Total Protein is 66
    C-Reactive protein 66

Ana 400
    tell me what hieroglyph is used for Iron? cannot find it, except in the local railway!
    thanks
    :)
    hi more bloods, this time my total protein is at 63 and my AST at 33. My fasting TSH reads as 3.39 i do have gall stones and take a lot of meds for other conditions anyone know what these values mean? thanks in anticipation

hi more bloods, this time my total protein is at 63 and my AST at 33. My fasting TSH reads as 3.39 i do have gall stones and take a lot of meds for other conditions anyone know what these values mean? thanks in anticipation

@treecreeper,

iron symbol can be listed as say fe or ferritn it's in your post >> FER:Ferritin 11.30 nmol 10.00-204.00

it looks quite low...I am sure they are working on this ??

Folate is one of the b vitamins , it is vit B9

High vit B12 is good, especially when C-Reactive protein is high , High C-Reactive protein indicates inflammation, yours is currently high.

It can easily go up and down daily depending on the inflammation.

Good to see your Doctors are on the ball :)

This is actually with Crohn’s , they try to keep the inflammation down.

I expect you are on anti inflammatory medication , and have been advised to stop smoking or cut it down as it aggregates your issue.

B12 and folate are B vitamins that are necessary for normal red blood cell formation, tissue and cellular repair,. They are important indeed.

A B12 and/or folate (vitamin B9) deficiency reflects a chronic shortage of one or both of these vitamins.

Since the body stores 3 to 6 years worth of B12 and circa a 3 months' supply of folate in the liver,

deficiencies and their associated symptoms can actually take months to years to manifest in adults.

Thats why I mention vitamins and minerals and especially Vit B range and vit d on this forum.
    They need to be kept up, or the deficiency of these will be they come back and kick you in the A##

Side note :Infants and children will show signs of deficiency more rapidly because they have not yet established extensive reserves.

AST range is between 5 and 45 international units,

many things can raise the AST levels I expect full liver panels will reveal more.

Goodluck
    chessguy

@june12
    Lack of vit B12 over a longer periiod does look like a likely suspect of the Geo tounge.
    But you could check this comprehensive articel it's a long read.
    http://geographictongue.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GeographicTongue.pdf

hmmmm.... vit B12
    here we go..............

Why does vitamin B12 deficiency result in >>> anaemia?
    The Red blood cells are made in the bone marrow and circulate in the blood.
    Their life expectancy is circa 4 months.
    we know Our body needs iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid,
    to make more red blood cells. If there is a lack of >>>>one or more of these nutrients, anaemia can develop.
    So they all need to be brought up like your Doc suggests.

Vitamin B12 is essential for the nervous system, which is why a deficiency can also cause inflammation of the nerves

ESR and CRP are blood tests for inflamation may be useful ..... ask you Doc..

Vit b12 absorbtion...Detailed.....
    Two steps are required for the body to absorb vitamin B12 from food.
    First, hydrochloric acid in the stomach separates vitamin B12 from the protein to which vitamin B12 is attached in food.
    After this, vitamin B12 combines with a protein made by the stomach called intrinsic factor and is absorbed by the body. Some people have pernicious anemia, a condition where they cannot make intrinsic factor.

Now lets back track What can cause this type of anaemia? issues ???/

>>>>Not eating enough foods that contain vitamin B12.

A vegetarian or vegan diet can cause deficiency because vitamin B12 is only found in foods of animal origin, such as meat, fish, eggs and milk.

Inability of the small intestine ( caused by >>>>>>Gluten issues perhaps ?? )to absorb vitamin B12.

As a result, they have trouble absorbing vitamin B12 from all foods and dietary supplements.

Dr Davis wrote the follwing it's worth a read.
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/fr/Wheat-Belly-By-Dr-William-Davis.htm

Good idea avoiding the gluten , nice to see the doc gave you B12 injections.

Might be a good idea to have vitamin D in the upper range too.

goodluck
    chessguy

Thanks chessguy! I will have a look at those sites.

When I was diagnosed last year it all seemed very straight forward - take a pill, come back every couple of months for blood tests and dosage to be tweaked. Now I can't believe how much is affected by it and how complicated it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubbo

Hi everyone,I just wanted to post a quick update.I have been on levothyroxine for 3 weeks now and am starting to feel like myself again! I don't feel low anyone,I have more energy (still need a lot of sleep but not as debilitating tiredness now)and I have started driving again (I lost my confidence when I was so tired and brain fog,I didn't feel safe to drive ). Seeing the consultant in 6 weeks to review,fingers crossed its onwards and upwards. I would have just believed my gp and not pushed to see a consultant if it wasn't for people on this thread,thanks so much everyone,and hope you're all feeling well!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

ok, as an experiment to help argue my pathetic, unlistened to, symptomatic hypothyroid case, i've started tracking morning temps. using an in-ear thermo. before i get out of bed.

For the past 7 days they have been:

any thoughts?

am finding the cold unbearable at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I had been going to a Neurologist about what I had been describing as 'headaches'. I went off for an MRI scan and a blood test. Today the Neurologist had a look at the results of the blood test, and told me that I do indeed have Hypothyroidism. I'm now on a prescription of Levothyroxine.

Very happy that it isn't anything more serious, and that it's been found now. Just wondering what experience people have regards school. I had gone off the the doctor for the 'headaches' because they had been affecting my ability to concentrate. The same as others have said in the thread, I'd be overcome with a foggyness. I'm just finished fifth year, and I found it very hard to pay proper attention during classes at times. I'd leave school for the day without being able to remember much of what I had learnt. I'm going into sixth year after the summer, and I'd like to know if anyone has any advice in respect to study and that.

Hi all

So to update, saw locum Endo on Friday. He says my symptoms are out of a book. He is not Irish, so either he means textbook, or I am imagining them after reading them!! But my bloods are fine....

He wants to go back to the original blood test results that my diagnosis was based on, he hasn't seen them as they were done by the GP prior to my current one. So I suppose thats a good thing that he is going back to the start. But he isn't convinced its thyroid, and if not, suggested Post Viral Fatigue (possible) or depression (never felt less depressed and have suffered from it a little in the past, have none of the emotional symptoms at the moment, am quite happy if only my body would behave). He did at least do a B12 test and is sending me for a scan.

Am afraid I may be fighting a losing battle with him, at least his predecessor was willing to let me try T3 at some point. I will wait and see what the results show, but I'm thinking I will have to look elswhere. So annoying!!!! Slightly disillusioned.

Feel quite good yesterday and today, for no apparent reason, its all a mystery. I don't understand why some days are reasonable and others a washout. Is that a common experience for any of ye?

Hope all are well anyway!

Mary

Hi all

So to update, saw locum Endo on Friday. He says my symptoms are out of a book. He is not Irish, so either he means textbook, or I am imagining them after reading them!! But my bloods are fine....

He wants to go back to the original blood test results that my diagnosis was based on, he hasn't seen them as they were done by the GP prior to my current one. So I suppose thats a good thing that he is going back to the start. But he isn't convinced its thyroid, and if not, suggested Post Viral Fatigue (possible) or depression (never felt less depressed and have suffered from it a little in the past, have none of the emotional symptoms at the moment, am quite happy if only my body would behave). He did at least do a B12 test and is sending me for a scan.

Am afraid I may be fighting a losing battle with him, at least his predecessor was willing to let me try T3 at some point. I will wait and see what the results show, but I'm thinking I will have to look elswhere. So annoying!!!! Slightly disillusioned.

Feel quite good yesterday and today, for no apparent reason, its all a mystery. I don't understand why some days are reasonable and others a washout. Is that a common experience for any of ye?

Hope all are well anyway!

Mary

Are you on eltroxin now? I find it weird the way doctors are so ultra conservative when treating thyroid conditions but seem to hand out meds for depression like candy.

Do you know what your tsh is and what it was when you were diagnosed? My recent results were well within normal range but I felt a lot worse than when I was first diagnosed. I know it was my thyroid though because the gland had swollen up again and it went back down after I increased my meds.

When you get your b12 results, you should ask for the actual number. I'm new to this but I'm already finding that there is a huge difference between so called normal ranges and healthy ranges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

marymarcy, I can identify with feeling good one day & rotten the next, that's something I have. I think you need to wait for the results of the B12 tests before you make any further decisions. Make sure to always ask for printouts of your bloods so you can see where in the range you are, doctors are inclined to fob us off with the "in normal range" line. The problem with taking T3 or T4 replacement before firm diagnosis is that you risk throwing yourself into a hyperthyroid state &, believe me, that's not a nice place to be. Don't accept the old "depression" diagnosis, you know how you feel. The sooner doctors learn that thyroid is not a cut and dried illness with specific symptoms common to all and stop treating by numbers the better. Meanwhile eating healthy food, avoiding soya based food & junk, drinking loads of water & exercising daily can make things more bearable.

Advertisement