Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Undriveable car, case dismissed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The laws an ass and so are drink driving laws. He got hammered, killed his car and because he had killed the car before being observed being intoxicated, he gets away with it? Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

thats a joke. if ill crash in somebodies car, damage it completely, there will be two not drivable motors, which leads to non collision existence, as so much damaged cars cant participate on road traffic. lol .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

mb1725 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted already but I did not see it here, weird case:
    http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/undriveable-car-sees-case-dismissed-3141948.html

The law is a funny animal.

Mad, how much does that barrister cost???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

have i missed somthing or is the moral of the story -

if your going to get caught drink driving, write the car off to an undrivable extent and you will get away with it? if so, thats scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a lawyer but wasn't the point that he could drive it to the scene?
    Not being able to drive it away from the scene is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

andyseadog wrote: »
    have i missed somthing or is the moral of the story -

if your going to get caught drink driving, write the car off to an undrivable extent and you will get away with it? if so, thats scary.

The key here is that he wasn't seen driving the car whilst pissed therefore wasn't in drunken charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If a Garda is chasing you in your car then you:

Crash into a pole so badly your car is "undriveable" so you can then argue that no chase could ever have existed because the car is now in bits. :confused:

Judge: You ran a bus full of orphans and nuns off a ravine and they all died in a terrible ball of fire

Barrister: He then crashed his car into a pole and wrote it off

Judge: No problem so, case dismissed. Car couldn't have been moving anyway, must have been an act of god or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

biko wrote: »
    Not a lawyer but wasn't the point that he could drive it to the scene?
    Not being able to drive it away from the scene is irrelevant.

I would have thought that too:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

WTF - that story makes no sense. The Judge is totaly clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Was the judge on the beer too??

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If a Garda is chasing you in your car then you:

Crash into a pole so badly your car is "undriveable" so you can then argue that no chase could ever have existed because the car is now in bits. :confused:

Judge: You ran a bus full of orphans and nuns off a ravine and they all died in a terrible ball of fire

Barrister: He then crashed his car into a pole and wrote it off

Judge: No problem so, case dismissed. Car couldn't have been moving anyway, must have been an act of god or something

Actually. Had the Gardai been chasing him and kept him in sight before being breath tested he would've been done for drink driving.

MugMugs wrote: »
    The key here is that he wasn't seen driving the car whilst pissed therefore wasn't in drunken charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle.

Would this not be evidence enough

"Garda said there was one person in the driving seat of the car, the engine was running, the lights were on and the keys were in the ignition. She spoke to <snip>, who was in the driving seat, and he was awake and responsive"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Actually. Had the Gardai been chasing him and kept him in sight before being breath tested he would've been done for drink driving.

Surely if you got this judge you could argue he couldn't be driving an MPV because it cannot be driven after the crash and therefore making the whole chase irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

I assume this decision could set a precedent?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

That is so crazy? I really don't understand the logic of this. Is there more to the case than we know? Who is this 26 year old <snip> and is he related to someone important in Drogheda or elsewhere?

mb1725 wrote: »
    I assume this decision could set a precedent?

I'm sure others will try use it as a get out clause in court. Crazy decision by the Judge.

Beer Baron wrote: »

Surely if you got this judge you could argue he couldn't be driving an MPV because it cannot be driven after the crash and therefore making the whole chase irrelevant.
    Barr wrote: »

Would this not be evidence enough

"Garda said there was one person in the driving seat of the car, the engine was running, the lights were on and the keys were in the ignition. She spoke to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056680129, who was in the driving seat, and he was awake and responsive"

No. If he was being chased and crashed and watched until he was breathalysed then he could be done for drink.driving before he imobilised the vehicle.

The key here is that he could've drank post accident and had commited no crime as the vehicle WAS imobilised by the time the Gardai got there.

It has to be beyond reasonable doubt and in this case the judge deemed that it wasn't. He's one very lucky person if you ask me.

Irish drink driving law is crazy. The offender has to be in sight of the Gardai at all times during the process. This makes convictions difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jogathon wrote: »
    That is so crazy? I really don't understand the logic of this. Is there more to the case than we know? Who is this 26 year old Damien Kierans and is he related to someone important in Drogheda or elsewhere?

As I understand it's actually far too simple, the gardai can only report on what they observe, a car too damaged to drive and a drunk beside it, you cannot assume the drunk was driving if the car isn't driving or capable of being driven so case dismissed, this has happened before many times I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Crazy. Just crazy.

Yer man thought it was his lucky day. The pity of it all is, he probably won't learn his lesson, go off and do it again with possible worse consequences...

I despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Lots of people get of drink driving charges on a technicality.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing his Insurers will not pay out given the circumstances.

He wasn't convicted. They could well have to.

Barr wrote: »
    I'm guessing his Insurers will not pay out given the circumstances.

I'd be pretty sure they will, no law broken, car badly damaged etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

So to take the judge's logic to the extreme, you could be standing over a dead body with a knife in your hand, covered in blood, but as the person was already dead when the gardaí arrived, you couldn't actually be guilty of taking a human life? Are there no other charges they can bring now? As far as I can tell, this decision gives carte blanche to anyone who feels like going for a joyride, as long as they make sure to total the car when they're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

That case beggars belief. Someone needs to look into just how competent that judge isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So if I am completely drunk while driving and hear the sirens behind me, then I increase speed and ram the nearest lamppost?

No drink driving as I was not driving...

Honesty, wtf? I still can't understand their reasoning behind it?!

So if I am completely drunk while driving and hear the sirens behind me, then I increase speed and ram the nearest lamppost?

No drink driving as I was not driving...

Honesty, wtf? I still can't understand their reasoning behind it?!

Eh, no. You can be done for drink driving. It's only if you're out of sight of the Gardai post crash.

latenia wrote: »
    So to take the judge's logic to the extreme, you could be standing over a dead body with a knife in your hand, covered in blood, but as the person was already dead when the gardaí arrived, you couldn't actually be guilty of taking a human life? Are there no other charges they can bring now? As far as I can tell, this decision gives carte blanche to anyone who feels like going for a joyride, as long as they make sure to total the car when they're finished.

Yes, just standing over a body with a knife covered in blood doesn't make you guilty of anything.

franksm wrote: »
    That case beggars belief. Someone needs to look into just how competent that judge isn't.

Again, the problem isn't competency, it's actually the opposite, rigid enforcement of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

franksm wrote: »

I'm sure the judge knows the law. It's not as simple as it seems.

Advertisement