Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We want a club in Dalkey

Options
  • 10-06-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello,

Im sorry if I am mistaken by this but as far as I can see there is no Martial Arts Clubs in Dalkey. I am the manager of a Sports Hall and I would love to get one based out here as people are always asking me about it. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or if anyone knows someone that is looking to set up a club ?

Any help would be appricated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

It’s an issue of the times I think.

Personally, as I’ve moved back to the Dublin area, and I’m back at square one with “Wudang Sanshou” www.sanshou.webs.com (very Daoist ;-) training in various gyms, institutions and even parks) besides this I’m employed by UCD to coach their Tai Chi club, it has been the life-raft of Wudang / Practical Tai Chi Chuan on many such occasions. Most clubs experience such ebb and flow.

Over the years (since 2000) I’ve ran classes in all areas of Dublin, some premises got sold, some “Bridgefoot Street” were siezed from the landlord by “Bank of Scotland “and lie empty since 2010. Can be depressing as a coach! But that doesn’t really relate here.

Just before the craziness of the boom we had a long standing base in Rathmines, until rent went up to €60/hr. These days it seems €20-€50 / hr is normal. (Depending of facilities offered e.g. boxing ring) If you benchmark the cost of a martial arts class today, not even considering the monthly membership offers of anytime training in “pure” martial arts gyms usually €40-50 / month, average classes are basically charged at €5-7 for 1.5 hours.

Anything less than 1.5 hours is a waste of time, MA being highly dependent on skills gained through repetition. 3 days a week would be a minimum requirement for a student to really progress.

A lot of spaces offered are of a volume that only suits the teaching of 8 to 10 students max, these same spaces could probably suit 20-25 yoga practitioners. Yoga is €12 - €15 per hour on average. So 25 students x €15 = €375, yoga only takes 45mins to 1 hour, so rent -€40 leaves €335 profit for the teacher / guru ;)

So basically an MA teacher often finds that renting space costs them €50-60 per class, with a max possibility of 10 students paying say €7 max so they take in €70 and pay €60 that’s €10 profit??? Well not if you consider travel and equipment costs, never mind insurance, association costs etc..

These days it seems co-ops etc. are the way forward, renting units in industrial parks in “affordable / disadvantaged” areas between a few MA groups. Maybe it’s always been like this? Maybe the reason most world-class pugilists are from “rough areas” is due to the commercial reality of gym leasing rather than the toughness of “de stretz”. Bar my UCD tenure I moved out of the affluent Southside areas long ago, or maybe was driven out by those ruthless Yoga guys? :D

Something to consider if you are serious. Basically from a business perspective a sports centre would need to “sub” a MA club with lower rent than they could get from Yoga and the likes. And initially, during its build-up, a period of grace wouldn’t be a bad idea. Alternatively “employ” a coach like UCD do. Other than that you could look to offer a better deal to a near-by already established club, though bear in mind, because they certainly will, that every time a club moves it haemorrhages members.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Try Paul Moran who runs the 'Martial Arts Academy' in Deansgrange...he might be able to help you....their website is :

http://www.themartialartsacademy.com/index.html

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu is based on Mounttown road in Monkstown, less than a 5 minute drive from Dalkey. I train there every day and make the slightly longer commute from bray!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

I think Warriors teach Muaythai once a week in the tram yard in Dalkey for beginners, Weds night as far as I know

Also East Coast Martial Arts in Glasthule..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cftb_11

Thanks Guys, I will check them out. Not all those names came up when I did a Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

pritty sure warriors moved into the same place as ribero jiu jitsu in monkstown .also glen heelan of elite ma in glenageary might know someone, i think they're on facebook

tadix wrote: »
    pritty sure warriors moved into the same place as ribero jiu jitsu in monkstown .also glen heelan of elite ma in glenageary might know someone, i think they're on facebook

Ye they did that's correct but once a week they do a class in Dalkey..

Also Dunlaoghaire Full Contact kickboxing club is in Glasthule Buildings and then as you said Elite Martial Arts are also close by

Advertisement