Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay people should 'seek help'. Northern MP compares homosexuality to bestiality.

Options
  • 13-06-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Ken Maginnis, an MP in the north was on the Nolan Show on BBC Radio this morning discussing the topic of same-sex marriage. The vitriol from this man is absolutely horrid. He compared same-sex marriage to bestiality, as it was apparently a deviant malpractice against the nature of society. Then asked what gay people should do when they realise they are attracted to the same sex, he suggested that they should seek counselling. He also tried to link homosexuals and paedophilia.

What a revolting and disgusting ideology, and unfortunately - it's all too common from politicians within unionist parties. I truly feel sorry for gay unionists who are in favour of the union, but have very limited alternatives to these morons.

You can listen to the full interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01js1l8/The_Nolan_Show_13_06_2012/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Read this earlier and it should high light that there appears to be a general negative attitude to Homosexuality in the North:

Homosexual prejudice in Northern Ireland getting worse, says report

So this kind of attitude doesn't seem to be isolated sadly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst he might be maladroit in expressing his viewpoint he reflects a portion of public opinion, my own included, that does not favour homosexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Manach wrote: »
    Whilst he might be maladroit in expressing his viewpoint he reflects a portion of public opinion, my own included, that does not favour homosexuality.

There's not favouring homosexuality, and then there's comparing it to having sex with animals. Which is bloody ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you don't favour homosexuality, don't engage in same-sex relations. You have no right or business to tell what consenting adults do in their own private affairs. But such a view is mild in comparison to comparing homosexuality to bestiality like this politician did. How on earth two people coming together who love in each in marriage changes in anyway because they are the same sex is beyond me. It's merely the icing on the cake for a couple - to cement their commitment to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He stated that bestiality was a "rung on the same ladder" as homosexuality. He said that if he had a gay neighbour he would worry about children in the area. Does he reflect your views there as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whilst he might be maladroit in expressing his viewpoint he reflects a portion of public opinion
    There's also a portion of public opinion which believes that black people should be "sent home" and women shouldn't be allowed work.

Just because these opinions exist, doesn't mean it's OK for a politician to reflect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ken McGinnis hasn't been an MP for the bones of 15 years I'd say, long retired. Isn't he entitled to his opinion though? Just as people are entitled to call him out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

golfball37 wrote: »
    Ken McGinnis hasn't been an MP for the bones of 15 years I'd say, long retired. Isn't he entitled to his opinion though? Just as people are entitled to call him out on it.
    Worrying that people voted for him in the first place. As a politician he should not air opinions in which he compares homosexuality to bestiality. It is simply not acceptable. It is pure hatred that is unfortunately still in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm pretty confident that within the next couple of centuries most so called "victimless crime" will be completely gone from society and people will look back at remarks like these in the same way as we look back on a time when black people had to sit at the back of the bus.

It obviously happens very slowly, but IMO you can see each subsequent generation slowly moving towards permissiveness and individualism - "if you're a consenting adult it's none of my business".

Of course, I've been accused of incredibly irritating rabid optimism before, so... :D

golfball37 wrote: »

You're right, he retired a few years back I see - but is still a member of the House of Lords. The point still remains however - that sort of vitriol has no place in politics in 2012. He may be entitled to his opinion - but he's not entitled to spread misinformation, stating that homosexuality is a choice, drawing a fallacious parallel to bestiality.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭telly_lover

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ken Maginnis, an MP in the north was on the Nolan Show on BBC Radio this morning discussing the topic of same-sex marriage. The vitriol from this man is absolutely horrid. He compared same-sex marriage to bestiality, as it was apparently a deviant malpractice against the nature of society. Then asked what gay people should do when they realise they are attracted to the same sex, he suggested that they should seek counselling. He also tried to link homosexuals and paedophilia.

What a revolting and disgusting ideology, and unfortunately - it's all too common from politicians within unionist parties. I truly feel sorry for gay unionists who are in favour of the union, but have very limited alternatives to these morons.

You can listen to the full interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01js1l8/The_Nolan_Show_13_06_2012/

northern ireland is the bible belt of europe , theese peoples ancestors built what is now the republican party in the usa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

"same-sex marriage to bestiality, as it was apparently a deviant malpractice against the nature of society"

Well the nature of society is whatever a given society is up to. If same sex couples marry then it would be with the nature of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

northern ireland is the bible belt of europe , theese peoples ancestors built what is now the republican party in the usa

Pretty much, there is a section of religious unionism which is quite comparable to the civil rights / gay rights bashing republicans in the US.

Having said that, I much prefer to have this man laughed at for his outdated views then having anti-gay opposition that is encountered in many parts of catholic Africa or Catholic Eastern Europe where homosexuals are physically and not just verbally under attack. Orthodox Russians and Greeks ain't too fond of gay people either. Either are the Muslim countries come to think of it.

The man's views are crazy but at least in Ireland, the UK and America, there is some progression and opposition is mainly verbal and the standards of equality for all has a chance. We are decades above the standards of much of the world and that should continue and for every old fashioned religious nut who appears on radio, that will benefit not his views but the views of equality for all as he is shown as a loser and bigot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

He can give his opinion if he wants and a lot of Protestants would agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

He can give his opinion if he wants and a lot of Protestants would agree with him.

Indeed he is entitled to give his (ludicrous) opinion, just as others are entitled to ridicule it. To be honest I hadn't seen or heard of him in the last ten years, I wasn't sure if he was still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

How would you react if I said I don't favour black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Of course, I've been accused of incredibly irritating rabid optimism before, so... :D

Yes, you have...by me among others, but in this case I sincerely hope you are correct, and would share that optimism tbh.

Its not a view confined to one sect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Comparing bestiality to homosexuality . I hope he realises he is after upsetting a lot of Kerry sheep farmers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

dlofnep wrote: »

While confronting homophobic nonsense is to be encouraged, doing so with an agenda to attack unionists as a whole is pretty low.

Take your mates advice which he was obviously too cordial to dole out to you.
    Nodin wrote: »
    Its not a view confined to one sect.

• Advertisement

While confronting homophobic nonsense is to be encouraged, doing so with an agenda to attack unionists as a whole is pretty low.
    The facts of the matter are that Uninoist parties are far more socially conservative than is the norm either side of the border.
    Take your mates advice which he was obviously too cordial to dole out to you.

You seem to be confused about the difference between confessional allegiance and political ideology.

The facts of the matter are that Uninoist parties are far more socially conservative than is the norm either side of the border.

Source?

If you're going to make a statement like that then provide proof. And how is it relevant to this man's comments? It's as low as saying 'Abu Hamza said infidels must die but that's what you expect from Muslims'. It's not acceptable. You'd gladly recognise that with any group but are slow to do so when it's unionists.
    You seem to be confused about the difference between confessional allegiance and political ideology.

Nope.

Source?.

Just to be clear....you're asking for a source to proove the social conservatism of the DUP, the UUP and the TUV.....
    And how is it relevant to this mans comments?

Unionist MPs are lobbying against gay marriage.

Just to be clear....you're asking for a source to proove the social conservatism of the DUP, the UUP and the TUV.....

I'm asking for a source for your claims and the claim that unionist politicians in generally are especially homophobic - a claim tagged on to the OP as a sly dig.
    Unionist MPs are lobbying against gay marriage.

All of them are? And all with the same rationale as this man? They are the only political group who are? Is it because they are unionists or for some other characteristic they may share? Broad brushing suits you when the agenda is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,818 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing suprising here. The most bigoted and hateful people up the north are many of these unionists. Horrible crowd!

I remember reading an article about Johnny Adair doing charity work in Africa. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,818 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Unionists up North are pretty much anti anything that is NOT them.

I wasn't doing so with an agenda to attack Unionists at all, wise up. It just so happens that homophobia is a huge issue within Unionist parties with a broad range of Unionist politicians. There is a huge difference between Unionist parties and a Unionist population, and I'd expect you to know the difference.

I created this thread to highlight the comments made with regards to homophobia. The fact that it was a Unionist politician is a matter of fact, and isn't something I can change or omit from an article just to suit your conspiracy theories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

I'm afraid that it was The Democrats that held sway in Dixie until relatively recently...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Indeed he is entitled to give his (ludicrous) opinion, just as others are entitled to ridicule it. To be honest I hadn't seen or heard of him in the last ten years, I wasn't sure if he was still alive.

If it was down to some in Sinn Fein, he wouldn't be.

Balls of Steel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement