Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ill have a Prawn Goebbels, a Herman Goering, and Four Cold Meat Salads to go please!

hilarious. I love british racist humour. even funnier to shout sieg heil whenever you meet a bunch of krauts. there was a German comedian in Britain and before he came on the audience all had made little hitler moustaches and he said he hoped they had brought their black shoe polish as a black was on after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

You get good and bad people everywhere and I find the Germans to be quite mixed. Alot of boring introverted work loving types and also the friendly down to earth younger ones. One broad trait seemed to be that they all hated the French due to 'unfriendliness'. I find the French fine, must have be something to do with 1940...

You get good and bad people everywhere and I find the Germans to be quite mixed. Alot of boring introverted work loving types and also the friendly down to earth younger ones. One broad trait seemed to be that they all hated the French due to 'unfriendliness'. I find the French fine, must have be something to do with 1940...

The French generally like the irish but hate other nationalities.

the French are a mixed lot as well. i was speaking German to mate and French tourist shouts out Nazi.

not liking the French stems from the way Germans are treated in France if thez do not speak fluent French. The French are still touchy about the war as even the proudest Frenchman realises not every Frenchman was in the resistance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Nodin wrote: »
    Prussia was a seperate kingdom in 1815. Prussia didn't become part of a greater Germany until 180/71 and unification

Er... no, it wasn't separate.
    Before Germany was "united" in 1871, it was a union of a number of kingdoms and duchies, Prussia being one of them. Others included Austria, Bavaria, Saxony, the free Hanse towns like Hamburg and Bremen, and many more.
    It was a fragmented place, lots of little despots, but it was even then the "Holy Roman Empire of German Nation", ruled over by the German emperor (who interestingly enough got elected, so that role tended to go either to the Austrian or Prussian king for centuries).

The great unification that Bismark brought about meant simply that he kicked Austria out of the union, and made the Prussian king emperor by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Germans are good.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the sixteen federal states we know today was formed in 1990. The DDR was founded in 1949 and was an independent country. some mind argue that it was controlled by the russians, but the same could have been said about WEst GErmany and the allies. Two Germanys became one new Germany, a germany the like and size that had not existed before

Well, not really, sadly.
    Most Germans both in the East and in the West feel more like the West had bought up the East.
    Germans in the East suddenly find that their 40 years of separate history are airbrushed out of existence along with their former country, and Germans in the West complain about the costs incurreced by the "lazy Ossies".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Found Germans to be very friendly and especially their women who'll talk to you no bother whatsoever :)
    Was in Stuttgart a few years back with a German co-worker who was part of a bike gang over there.
    Put us up for the whole week fed and found and I remember travelling to the stadium via train they were sharing cans around and each of them took a sip before passing it around , all very efficient.
    The mate then announced that it was my birthday and myself and another Irish mate watched in amazement as about 20 blokes and girls efficiently lined up in a straight line and each of them wished me a happy birthday with a handsake or a kiss on the kiss (from the girls :) in the train carriage :D
    Great place and very friendly people but like one poster said not very spontaneous. Even their humour is organised :D

according to the stereotype Germans have no humour but Germany is a vast country with very different people. their humour is different and they laugh at things that we would not dare, like suicide (check out Ulli Stein).

The Irish are not always a barrell of laughs especially if you go up to Antrim. folks up there rarely rarely even smile, let alone crack jokes.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, not really, sadly.
    Most Germans both in the East and in the West feel more like the West had bought up the East.
    Germans in the East suddenly find that their 40 years of separate history are airbrushed out of existence along with their former country, and Germans in the West complain about the costs incurreced by the "lazy Ossies".

the west did indeed 'bring up' the east which presented opportunities for struggling businesses in the west to relocate to the east and show them the 'better' way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the west did indeed 'bring up' the east which presented opportunities for struggling businesses in the west to relocate to the east and show them the 'better' way.
    or buy companies in the east, get big grants for doing so and close them down at the first opportunity seeing as they already had overcapacity in their ultra modern plants in west germany!
    Of course the billions in grants were never repaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pottler wrote: »
    Gotta lova a woman with wool. Especially when she's 6', blonde and poured into a pair of denims...mmmmm..:D

So you're into men then? Well each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I love German food - bratworst, sauerkraut, frankfurters, Knudl, giant prezels, apple strudel and the like. Yes, it's pretty simple but is delicious. Their beers are just superb.:D

I also love the way public transport in Germany runs exactly on time. The Germans are mostly uninhibited about nudity so there plenty of opportunities for nude swimming and sunbathing in Deutschland galore.:)

When I think of Germany I think of huge forests, modern TV towers in the cities and of course the Autobahns.:pac:

The tastiest McDonald's burgers I've ever had are those in Germany.

You can't beat a good currywurst in Germany after a few jars. Or a kebab in Berlin.

I love German breakfasts, strangely enough. Muesli, yogurt, cold meats, great bread etc.

Plenty of gorgeous women and pure brewed beer too. Excellent public transport.

I had a really close friend from the east (Rostock) who passed away suddenly a few years ago and a nicer, more genuine, generous guy you'd have been hard pressed to meet.

Of course, there are idiots, same as everywhere and the mullets with sleeveless denim jackets at the football are hilarious.

The vast majority of Germans in my experience are thoroughly decent people.

I have a few German friends (living in Germany BTW not here) and they have a great sense of humour, very much on the style of the Irish sense of humour, so they aren't all boring, just a higher chance with such a large population.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

RVP 11 wrote: »
    I have a few German friends (living in Germany BTW not here) and they have a great sense of humour, very much on the style of the Irish sense of humour, so they aren't all boring, just a higher chance with such a large population.

Good old statistics...the higher the population, the higher is the chance to find eejits, decent people, gorgeous women...;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Good old statistics...the higher the population, the higher is the chance to find eejits, decent people, gorgeous women...;)

Not to mention 11 good football players ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

mikemac1 wrote: »
    We had a Kris Kindle in the office

We have a German team leader and some smart ass got him an orange Dutch football scarf
    It's just what some lads do, mess up the Kris Kindle

Jaysus, he was highly insulted
    I wasn't aware the Dutch and Germans didn't get on

He didn't like the Turks either for some reason

I am shocked he took part in the kris kindle. We had one in work years ago and the Germans (the ones willing to take part) demanded we make it a 5 euro limit. 5 euro, I dont know why we bothered having one FFS, might as well not bother.
    saa wrote: »
    The last time I was at a comedy gig two german gals stormed out and told yer man on stage that they did not pay to be insulted.

I am shocked they paid into the club!

Tightest race on earth without a shadow of a doubt. Disproportionate number of very, very strange people, socially awkward men.

I am shocked they paid into the club!

Tightest race on earth without a shadow of a doubt.

You might be confusing them with the Swiss there...

Shenshen wrote: »
    You might be confusing them with the Swiss there...

Havent met many in truth but Swiss women seem to be stunning. A perfect storm of nordic German blonde blue eyed meets mediterranean tanned skin all rolled into one mixed look of the both :)

Havent met many in truth but Swiss women seem to be stunning. A perfect storm of nordic German blonde blue eyed meets mediterranean tanned skin all rolled into one mixed look of the both :)

Oh, you meant tight in that sense. Sorry, I misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

cml387 wrote: »
    They know what Vorsprung Durch Technik means.

They have words like schadenfreude and zetgeist which have no english equivalent.
    And what about Nena and her red balloons?

I know this song is supposed to be antiwar, but it always got my blood up for a fight. Probably like all those flag waving american red necks who love Fortunate Son, some songs don't work the way they should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I am shocked he took part in the kris kindle. We had one in work years ago and the Germans (the ones willing to take part) demanded we make it a 5 euro limit. 5 euro, I dont know why we bothered having one FFS, might as well not bother.

Theres always the possibilty they didn't want to be stuck spending money on somebody they couldn't stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Definitely an industrious people, I would love to go to Berlin just to see the place, with a mix of history and culture like that definitely worth a look in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 gold_bull

germans have an iron will , they dont suffer fools and dont allow sentimentality to get in the way of hard headed issues , fiercely pragmatic , so are the british ( or at least they used to ) but the brits have a good sense of humour , the germans are like a serious version of the british

their nothing like us and thats not to say i think they are better btw

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They have very short memories

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres always the possibilty they didn't want to be stuck spending money on somebody they couldn't stand.

There is always the possibility that they are tight, end of. They used to run a mile if anyone came around at Christmas with a charity collection or what have you. I just cannot stand nor respect a level of tightness where parting way with a one figure sum of money is too much. If they live their life like this they are clearly utterly loaded anyway, I just cant get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They have very short memories

Who are you? Are those my feet?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There is always the possibility that they are tight, end of..

Or it could be they just don't feel the need to effectively 'buy' respect and friendship, or the need to prove themselves to others by spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The only German interaction I have had is a friend I made on Xbox live.

His English is rather good, we play games, make stereotypical jokes about each others countries and kill aliens. It's a real bonding experience.

Aside from that I have not met or interacted with any Germans and so don't have a positive or negative thing to say about them.

There is always the possibility that they are tight, end of. They used to run a mile if anyone came around at Christmas with a charity collection or what have you. I just cannot stand nor respect a level of tightness where parting way with a one figure sum of money is too much. If they live their life like this they are clearly utterly loaded anyway, I just cant get it.

Well, to give a bit of balance, 5 Euros would buy you a very decent bottle of wine in Germany. Or about 2 kilos of chocolates.
    Germans do tend to be shocked at prices when they come over here, most things are about double the price.

And when you pay half your income in taxes, you like to think you've given plenty to charity already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Love 'em.

If only Hitler was alive in Ireland today. I think I'd take to the streets to enjoy seeing skangers being rounded up...assuming that's who he'd target, in my mind though, he is.

Advertisement