Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i dont have my bike with me currently was just looking round will check if its 9 speed, i think it is.

Yeah 11% isnt my cup of tea, and on that i would want low gear, but a better road will make a bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

manafana wrote: »
    i dont have my bike with me currently was just looking round will check if its 9 speed, i think it is.

Yeah 11% isnt my cup of tea, and on that i would want low gear, but a better road will make a bit of difference.

True, but the climb comes after 170km. That changes things ever so slightly.

On day 2, the top part of Tourmalet is pretty steep for a sustained distance.
    The final 10km of the Tourmalet is 8%.

Day 3: Peyresourde. final 7km at 8.3%. Manafana - yoou go up and down Cruagh and Stocking lane a lot. That is a 6km climb. The bit to the first bridge (Pineforest road is 1.5km at 8.3%). But then it eases off significantly. So, if you can imagine that 1.5km, just 5 times longer without much of a break.

ROK ON wrote: »
    True, but the climb comes after 170km. That changes things ever so slightly.

On day 2, the top part of Tourmalet is pretty steep for a sustained distance.
    The final 10km of the Tourmalet is 8%.

Day 3: Peyresourde. final 7km at 8.3%. Manafana - yoou go up and down Cruagh and Stocking lane a lot. That is a 6km climb. The bit to the first bridge (Pineforest road is 1.5km at 8.3%). But then it eases off significantly. So, if you can imagine that 1.5km, just 5 times longer without much of a break.

yeah iv tried to compare those steep parts to see, anything under 7% i can climb for ages, il really just have get it right on steeper parts. tourmalet will feel steep no matter what anyway. I'll likely go with lightest gear as im in no rush.

im out of action with neck injury at moment so didnt get out all this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

A segment I encountered for the first time on Saturday that might be worth a visit for you guys training for this...

http://app.strava.com/segments/1329636

colm_gti wrote: »
    A segment I encountered for the first time on Saturday that might be worth a visit for you guys training for this...

http://app.strava.com/segments/1329636

yeah iv gone done this but not up it been planning it for while, nice test at end which i like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The more you guys talk, the more I think about dusting off the Stratos for this one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

The more you guys talk, the more I think about dusting off the Stratos for this one.

What gearing do you have on the Look?
    The reason one has a nice bike is to cycle it in nice places.
    Also you have done loads of similar climbs in tue past two years on a fully loaded bike. As soon as you hit serious hills on a light bile carrying no baggage, you will fill like you are flying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

52-39, I?m sure I've 12-28 somewhere I can stick on. I don't think I'd make it to the summit of Mt. Leinster on it, although that's 15% in places (I have done it on a triple).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Fair play. I will be bringing 2 sets of wheels. Both will have an 11/28 on the back. So if you need one, it's there.

I am finding it very difficult to find find the enthusiasm for training in this weather. While I'm not where I want to be in terms of fitness, I wish this was on next week. Not sure that I can face 6 more weeks of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

wouldn't the weight difference and probably more comfort be better for you than the possibility of higher gearing (assuming a compact)?

I've every intention of doing as many km on the heavy bike prior to the event thus increasing the perceived weight difference between the two for the first 30 km of the cycle.

Anyway, I've no intention of forking out for a bb30 compact crank so I'll be using 53-39 and 11-27. You can borrow my Rival compact crank from my commuter if you want - it's GXP bb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Fair play. I will be bringing 2 sets of wheels. Both will have an 11/28 on the back. So if you need one, it's there.

I am finding it very difficult to find find the enthusiasm for training in this weather. While I'm not where I want to be in terms of fitness, I wish this was on next week. Not sure that I can face 6 more weeks of training.

im not thinking of it as training, im thinking of it as "yay im out on the bike"
    Sometimes i think "bugger, a hill" but then i think "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as i go down the other side.

Idleater wrote: »
    wouldn't the weight difference and probably more comfort be better for you than the possibility of higher gearing (assuming a compact)?

I've every intention of doing as many km on the heavy bike prior to the event thus increasing the perceived weight difference between the two for the first 30 km of the cycle.

Anyway, I've no intention of forking out for a bb30 compact crank so I'll be using 53-39 and 11-27. You can borrow my Rival compact crank from my commuter if you want - it's GXP bb.

so how many people are going on standard gearing v compact gearing. Id love to go on the standard gearing, but i think with the 39-28 id just run out of puff on some of the steeper longer bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

lennymc wrote: »
    so how many people are going on standard gearing v compact gearing. Id love to go on the standard gearing, but i think with the 39-28 id just run out of puff on some of the steeper longer bits.

I am trying this Saturday a 39/29 gearing to see how it will go. If I survive I am taking it to France, if I don't I ll put the compact on.

I was thinking of doing tthe ww200 on 39 28 for the craic, but I still think ill be 34 28 in the pyrenees. Its the steep steep stuff that tears the legs outta me with that gearing. Way I figure ,id rather have more gears than not enough.

Im still undecided on a gear but would like to have that low gear i can just spin when im suffering, im running a compact in ireland anyway so will stick with that and change at the rear to something lower.

Just wondering what people are doing to carry some food, with carrying my warmers and jacket not sure il av much room in the pockets, bigger saddle bag?

as regards the compact anyway considering the pros dont ride a standard on climbing days says it all really, a standard would be a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I'll be going with a compact and 27 or 28 on the back, and probably wish I had bigger by day 2 or 3.

@Captain, I have a spare compact chainset, 105, 172.5 cranks, you're welcome to it.

As regards food, I suppose it will be the usual bars and snacks in pockets and stops along the way for baguette and gateaux. Maybe we would meet up with Van Man on a couple of days for a lunch stop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Packing;

2 Tubes of Nunn. (Electrolyte). Seems to work, no cramps on the MB 200 or Ardattin 200.

4 days worth of Kinetica Whey Protein drink powder. Recovery drink (compliments of Colm GTI's advise) Have to run out and get a bag of Glucose powder also. Recovery drink each night after the days exertions. Arrived today, the Kinetica!

Going to bring about 20 homemade flapjacks.
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/flapjacks.html
    Been making this recipe for a few years now. Very good. I add dried fruit and coat with dessicated coconut.

Just to reiterate, guys, make sure Passports are up to date and have an E111 card aswell.

E111 is that the european medical insurance card?

did you get good deal on that recovery drink? I'd think their good idea during trip to ensure good protein uptake.

I add bit glucose to my drinks seems keep my energy up, not so much electrolytes which will be key in warm conditions so il look that up, i think my glucose has some in it.

Went out today, i had been off injured with bad neck since friday, heart rate spiked easier didnt feel as strong.

E111, Euro medical insurance card alright. Free. You can even renew your old one online.

Protein, 2.27kg. €45.

Doing, basically 4 X Wicklow 200's in a row.......except tougher.

Food
    Anything that I can get in shops, bars cafes, restaurants. I don't care as long as it is nice.

Recovery
    Ice cream and a beer or two usually works for me.

On the bike.
    Flapjacks,
    Electrolyte - I tend to cramp.
    I will be stopping on the 200km cycle around the 65km and 130km mark with the aim of eating a proper light lunch.
    Ice cream, bananas, chocolate.

I will bring cereal, nuts and possibly buy eggs. On the third day (particularly if it is warm) I am to start very early. So will hard boil a few eggs the night before and have that and some cereal in the morning before embarking. If the weather is very warm I hope to be o bthe road between 6am and 630 am on day 3. An hour later on the other days.

• Advertisement

When this is all over I am beading up to Castelnaudary. While ther I plan on eating some beautiful cassoulet, followed by cookie amounts of foie gras, cheese, duck and pintade. Washed down with some local wine.

Planet X wrote: »
    E111, Euro medical insurance card alright. Free. You can even renew your old one online.

Protein, 2.27kg. €45.

Doing, basically 4 X Wicklow 200's in a row.......except tougher.

will look into the protein, my LBS said he can do me good price on tube of any high 5 stuff, my e111 is well in date anyway.

Pharmaceutical query.

Was reading about Astra's knee pain. It strikes me that over five days in France, we should think about putting together a basic first aid kit to have in the van.
    Hydration tabs, antisceptic cleaner, gauze, stuff for stomach upsets/headaches, after sun cream, etc etc.

Also, we might think about a tools and spares inventry, with everyone contributing something (I have load of spare tyres, CO2 cannisters, handlesbars, saddles, chains, brake blocks). These are all small things - but if something breaks then it ruins the trip unless you can replace it reasonably quickly.
    I think everybody bar Astra is on Shimano or SRAM - so we are at least groupset compatible.

On a related note I did an Audax last October with another boardsie. I had really bad back pain around the 150km mark. This other chap had an American brand of painkiller. Popped two pills and literally within 2 minutes felt fresh as a daisy and powered home.
    Whatever they were, it might be good to have something like this in France. Can anyone suggest some (legal) but strong/quickacting painkillers?
    I normally take Syndol, but they are very difficult to get now (I think you need a doctor to prescribe them).

Astra & I are on Campag 11. We'll sort something........

I'm packing Immodium as a precaution against heat stroke and dodgy whatever goes down my neck!

Nothing that a cup of Barrys won't sort out. ;)

yeah would agree we need to make sure between us their is all the kit we need.

after today il remember to always hold back, 5days in row of climbing theirs no room for pushing in the upper threshold, il be sticking with lenny who seems to have the pacing just right.

Planet X wrote: »
    Astra & I are on Campag 11. We'll sort something........

I'm packing Immodium as a precaution against heat stroke and dodgy whatever goes down my neck!

Nothing that a cup of Barrys won't sort out. ;)

You'll be a long way from anywhere that serves tay, let alone Barrys.
    Hope you are bringing you own :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

syndol are completely unavailable at the minute and have been for months (i'm in that line of business). i don't think they're a good option as a general painkiller anyway, you'd be better sticking to ibuprofen (if you don't have any contraindications for using it) or just good ol plain paracetamol.

your pharmacist/gp (calling robfowl!) will be able to advise you if you call in, and will give you a sone medications that are handy to bring away with you (get asked all the time for these kinds of things).

prob better to call in in person though in case there's any reason you can't take anything, at least you can discuss it properly there

Christ, looking forward to tomorrow mornings training spin after that Saturday morning "attempt". :-/
    Good roads / sunshine.........

manafana wrote: »
    il be sticking with lenny who seems to have the pacing just right.

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

:)

i think pacing will be key to doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Pharmaceutical query.

..Also, we might think about a tools and spares inventry, with everyone contributing something (I have load of spare tyres, CO2 cannisters, handlesbars, saddles, chains, brake blocks). These are all small things - but if something breaks then it ruins the trip unless you can replace it reasonably quickly.
    I think everybody bar Astra is on Shimano or SRAM - so we are at least groupset compatible..

We'll probably all have different wheel types so maybe a good idea to bring your own spare spokes, in the highly unlikely event you need a replacement, SJSCYCLES & Rose seem to carry a good range. Maybe a set of spare wheels among the group too?

I'll be taking a multitool and spare chain links in the saddle bag. I got to use the chain breaker for the first time out on a spin yesterday, a guy ahead of me broke his chain on the hill out of Avoca.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement