Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

It went terribly. I clearly should just give up. My friend saw what I wrote and wrote a long message to me this morning,nevermind knowing how awful i'd be before my interview.my boyfriend doesn't even know I had one cause he's mad at me for me having a problem with something he did.

I don't know if i'm just numb,but I can't even cry. I have nothing left and yet I can't get upset

Sounds like you're having an awful run of the mill of things lately and I hope things pick up soon for you. Sh1tty thing of your boyfriend - I'm mean being mad at you having a problem with something he did. I've been there with people.

If you can muster up some energy you should do something/anything to treat yourself and do something that you like doing.

Ok day here. Not bad. Some sh1tty spells/thoughts here and there but nothing lasting long maybe a minute or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Siuin wrote: »
    Having suffered from depression since the age of 13, I've come to realise that a substantial amount of my problem has been a direct result of my mother's behaviour towards me. It took an outsider to point it out, but once he did it was so blatantly obvious. She constantly puts me down and criticises me to a point where I feel completely incapable of doing anything for myself or achieving anything in life or make even simple decisions by myself. If I don't do as she tells me, she completely cuts me off and makes me feel guilty for going against her.

I sought counselling in my early teens when my depression reached a point where I could no longer function due to fatigue and an inability to concentrate on anything, and she threatened me if I was to mention my father's violent outbursts or anything which may 'make her look bad'. As a result, I gained very little from the sessions except a prescription. Now in my final year of college, I still feel as weak and hopeless as ever. I am getting first class honours in my course, but I have no confidence to apply for jobs because I can't escape this mindset that I'm completely incapable of doing anything for myself.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but my family are very much like that.

I think if you can, you should consider going to another counsellor. If you're out from under your mothers thumb now, you could start to get better. you've obviously done really great in college if you're expecting a first, so at the very least you're quite smart. try let yourself believe that, and take confidence from that.
    Sounds like you're having an awful run of the mill of things lately and I hope things pick up soon for you. Sh1tty thing of your boyfriend - I'm mean being mad at you having a problem with something he did. I've been there with people.

If you can muster up some energy you should do something/anything to treat yourself and do something that you like doing.

Ok day here. Not bad. Some sh1tty spells/thoughts here and there but nothing lasting long maybe a minute or two.

Things constantly feel awful, but yeah, these past few weeks have been terrible. Well I've given up on trying to get a job in my degree area. I have to aim lower, because I look like a fool going for interviews, when I know so little. The guy today made me feel about 1foot tall, with his millions of questions. it's an unpaid job ffs, not the ****ing space program. the thing with my boyfriend, it's a matter of him not seeing the problem with it.

can't muster any energy right now. still can't cry. I do nothing but treat myself really, so I'm trying not to take on that belief, that I deserve it more now. but thanks.

glad to hear your ****ty spells only last a minute or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can still get up, go to my leaving cert exams, even though I've messed them all, so I'm doing good I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

DeVore wrote: »
    I believe that when you cry you can heal. But it cant be pity, pity lets me wallow and I cant let myself get like that.

Totally agree, DeV, re:the healing. Things, whatever they are, just build up and up until something has to give. I've conditioned myself not to break down in front of my friends (I love my best friend but I'm not going to diss him by repeating what he said last weekend - it was 6am, we were both plastered and I'm sure he doesn't remember saying it but I do - which just about broke my heart) and family (God knows my dad got onto the phone with my sister faster than you could say, "Freak!", to talk me down) So now I'm conditioning myself to weep alone :(

But the way things have been this last while, I find myself wanting to wallow. I've just purposefully watched "50 First Dates" on YT and cried again like a child. That isn't the way real life turns out. Jesus.

I think it might be time for bed. I've two bottles of Casa Tiera in me and seven or eight hours of oblivion'd be real good right now. Good night, folks.

OT, risking my first infraction/banning/whatever...
    cloud493 wrote: »
    You... you told me once that you weren't a hero. Umm, there were times I didn't even think you were human. But let me tell you this, you were the best man, the most human... human being that I've ever known, and no-one will ever convince me that you told me a lie, so there. I was so alone, and I owe you so much'

Cloud, where's this from? It's a beautiful sentiment.

Yessum, still up.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭telly_lover

Siuin wrote: »
    Having suffered from depression since the age of 13, I've come to realise that a substantial amount of my problem has been a direct result of my mother's behaviour towards me. It took an outsider to point it out, but once he did it was so blatantly obvious. She constantly puts me down and criticises me to a point where I feel completely incapable of doing anything for myself or achieving anything in life or make even simple decisions by myself. If I don't do as she tells me, she completely cuts me off and makes me feel guilty for going against her.

I sought counselling in my early teens when my depression reached a point where I could no longer function due to fatigue and an inability to concentrate on anything, and she threatened me if I was to mention my father's violent outbursts or anything which may 'make her look bad'. As a result, I gained very little from the sessions except a prescription. Now in my final year of college, I still feel as weak and hopeless as ever. I am getting first class honours in my course, but I have no confidence to apply for jobs because I can't escape this mindset that I'm completely incapable of doing anything for myself.

some mental health professionals in america refer to the above as being shamed in childhood

my fathers love and aprooval was always conditional when i was growing up and right up until he died twelve years ago , nothing i ever did was good enough

a very sizeable number of depression sufferers have core issues related to childhood and their relationship with their parents , i think anyone who has had a toxic relationship with a parent or parents needs to cut ties ( to a degree ) and move a considerable and safe distance from home , that way you feel like you are not under their microscope or in a possition for them to judge you , hanging around can create a culture of toxic codependance , you resent your parent or parents for damaging your self esteem but because of this feel helpless to ever survive without them , their is also the toxic ingredient of guilt which arises from a destructive co dependant relationship with parents , this helps no one and creates bitterness , its easier to forgive parents who were not ideal when you are making your own moves far removed from them , in time a better understanding between both can build

ps , i hope i dont get banned for this but i am not a fan of therapy , i think people have instinct and you know when your not happy , you need to be proactive and set practical goals which will result in possitive change for you in the future , i firmly believe that thinking too much is the worst thing in the world , if you think about stuff long enough , everything looks bleak , therapy trains your mind to over analyse everything , by encouraging the patient to go over everything , the therapist prolongs the whole experience which obviously suits them , im not against taking anti depressants if your in a bad way with anxiety or really black depression but i dont believe in going over every single minutia of historical detail with fine tooth comb , that leaves a person morbidley reflective

I am also, not a fan of therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

In my opinion, and experience - 'wallowing' isn't always a bad thing.
    When you are hurt or go through something difficult, you need a bit of sympathy and "aw poor you" etc...

Sometimes you have to give that sympathy to yourself.
    If you are talking to yourself negatively, well that's never good.
    But if you are just going "poor me. why does this always happen?" etc...
    Then I think that is an important part of looking after yourself - If it is constructive.

If it gives you the strength to move forward, and examine your feelings and behaviours and so on - then great.
    It's when you get lost in the downward spiral of self pity, and let it go on for too long, or go too far - that's when it's dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

When you are hurt or go through something difficult, you need a bit of sympathy and "aw poor you" etc...

Then I think that is an important part of looking after yourself - If it is constructive.

If it gives you the strength to move forward, and examine your feelings and behaviours and so on - then great.
    It's when you get lost in the downward spiral of self pity, and let it go on for too long, or go too far - that's when it's dangerous.

Well said. Very much stuck in the dangerous side.

Edit: right this very second I'm not too bad, but overall it's very much low.

my fathers love and aprooval was always conditional when i was growing up and right up until he died twelve years ago , nothing i ever did was good enough

Oh Lordy, telly_lover and Siuin, I surely don't want to be quoting you out of your expansive context.

Here's my take on this: My mum died at age 49, brain tumor, just short of her 50th birthday; I was 100 miles away in Dublin (I'm originally from Belfast) just starting my career. My wonderful and beautiful sister was in her last year of university and it was SHE who supported my dad as our mum was dying.

That was almost two decades ago and I guess things haven't been the same between dad and I since. (See my last post on this thread.) But here's the thing: when I'm home (albeit infrequently), I feel at home. I walk around the streets I grew up in and I feel at complete peace; I visit my mum's grave and say a wee prayer. And when I go home, my dad always looks glad to see me.

I love my daddy.

(This reply took bit longer than expected. Jammstarr, hope you're doing okay, man.)

• Advertisement

Truer words never said, flutterflye. Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

nothing i ever did was good enough

That's *exactly* it. Thank you so much for your post- it really is the most useful advice I have received in a very long time (if ever). I've spent 3 month periods abroad away from my family and just felt like a completely different person. I was happy, sociable, talkative- when I told them that at home I was shy and didn't get out much, they were genuinely surprised. It's like a personality flip. Hoping to emigrate when I finish university... fingers crossed that the grass really is greener on the other side. Thank you again.

OT, risking my first infraction/banning/whatever...

Cloud, where's this from? It's a beautiful sentiment.

Yessum, still up.

Glad you liked it :D Its from the last episode of series 2 of Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think I get what you mean. problem is I haven't got many interests. though, I would like to get a pet...birds or ferrets. but I can't while I'm still sharing apartments. but some day. and they will be for me. besides that, I can't think of anything else.

I've been defriended. So much for thinking she was one of my best friends.

If you have been defriended, it sounds like you have been saved some hassle . .

One of my favourate songs in my late teens (back in the 90s :eek:) was the song "tracks of my tears" because it pretty much said everything about how I felt -

People say Im the life of the party cause I tell a joke or two
    Although I might be laughing loud and hard, deep inside Im blue
    So take a good luck at my face
    Youll see my smile looks out of place
    If you look closer its easy to trace
    The tracks of my tears

That was everything I was in my younger years. I was the goto party guy that everybody wanted to be around. But I was horribly unhappy in life, kind of like how they say many comedians are manic depressive, I used to be up and down to ridiculous degrees, but never showed my downside to anybody but myself.

Wrote a poem back then (around the time I was going to councelling), if I find it I will post it here (have only shown it to my sister and wife).

jammstarr wrote: »
    Stressful enough day but nothing too bad. At least I don't think so. Hard to describe how I'm feeling actually.

Ditto . . Its a real cant quite put my finger on it day. .

Dropped into one of my best friends at 4pm to confide some very personal stuff that had been getting on me . . He didnt have the answers and he wasnt able to put an arm around me (hes not that kind of person), but he made me feel better simply by listening. He also reminded me that stress, anxiety and fear can even be in people you think are headstrong or so together. I would never of thought he would be somebody under stress for a number of reasons, but again its comforting to know Im not alone . .

Drumpot wrote: »
    If you have been defriended, it sounds like you have been saved some hassle . .

One of my favourate songs in my late teens (back in the 90s :eek:) was the song "tracks of my tears" because it pretty much said everything about how I felt -

People say Im the life of the party cause I tell a joke or two
    Although I might be laughing loud and hard, deep inside Im blue
    So take a good luck at my face
    Youll see my smile looks out of place
    If you look closer its easy to trace
    The tracks of my tears

That was everything I was in my younger years. I was the goto party guy that everybody wanted to be around. But I was horribly unhappy in life, kind of like how they say many comedians are manic depressive, I used to be up and down to ridiculous degrees, but never showed my downside to anybody but myself.

Wrote a poem back then (around the time I was going to councelling), if I find it I will post it here (have only shown it to my sister and wife).

I salute your honesty, Drumpot (and look forward to the poem :)). As soon as I'm able emotionally, I'll join this wonderful discussion. In the meantime, godspeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

This is all far too raw... love to you all x

Yeh, I think of it as something similar to mourning. . You go through a grieving process and pretty much try to awknowledge what happened, accept it, grieve and move on (or something like that) . .
    some mental health professionals in america refer to the above as being shamed in childhood

a very sizeable number of depression sufferers have core issues related to childhood and their relationship with their parents , i think anyone who has had a toxic relationship with a parent or parents needs to cut ties ( to a degree ) and move a considerable and safe distance from home , that way you feel like you are not under their microscope or in a possition for them to judge you , hanging around can create a culture of toxic codependance , you resent your parent or parents for damaging your self esteem but because of this feel helpless to ever survive without them , their is also the toxic ingredient of guilt which arises from a destructive co dependant relationship with parents , this helps no one and creates bitterness , its easier to forgive parents who were not ideal when you are making your own moves far removed from them , in time a better understanding between both can build

ps , i hope i dont get banned for this but i am not a fan of therapy , i think people have instinct and you know when your not happy , you need to be proactive and set practical goals which will result in possitive change for you in the future , i firmly believe that thinking too much is the worst thing in the world , if you think about stuff long enough , everything looks bleak , therapy trains your mind to over analyse everything , by encouraging the patient to go over everything , the therapist prolongs the whole experience which obviously suits them , im not against taking anti depressants if your in a bad way with anxiety or really black depression but i dont believe in going over every single minutia of historical detail with fine tooth comb , that leaves a person morbidley reflective

Its funny because growing up (and still) my mother suffered chronic depression, had multiple surgerys, had nervous breakdowns and tried to control me (or motivate me) by calling me a bum, useless etc (she denies it now!). . My dad only had time for me when I was engaged in a hobby he enjoys . . I had little relationship with my sisters. As somebody who was adopted, when I was 18 I was told that I had another family wanting to meet me and I wasnt interested. I remember my mum asking me to sit down because she had to talk to me about something. My first reaction was "how much did I drink last night and do I feel that funny feeling that you know you did something wrong!". When she said my biological family wanted to meet me, I sighed a relief , asked if that was all and could I go . For the record, I met my biological siblings since then and all is well . there (but that was another story - juggling two families - oh god !).

Ive always expected myself to fail, in fact I got used to expecting it and I got used to expecting things to go wrong for me or family, because I found by expecting the worst, you were seldom dissapointed . . I am never satisfied with what I do and take little pleasure in life because I feel like any good will be cancelled out by something bad that is just waiting to get me when I let my guard down!

But the one thing I give myself credit for and that I am good at is keeping my family together in a weird way . . I constantly bring my children over to my folks and sisters house and it creates a new fresh environment that didnt exist when I was younger. THey are all differant to my children and to a large degree I think they all envy the bit of happiness I have carved out. all I wanted growing up was a family and I have it . . My mates used to slag me in my early teens saying every girl I kissed I wanted to marry . . Funny cause it was kinda true, I always wanted a relationship, not a fling !! Oh, I dont miss my teenage years, even though I had some epic parties in my house . .

Bejebus, Drumpot. I've got to send out the virtual hugs again tonight...?

Yeah... okay. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/okay-guy

Look after yourself, man. Have a great weekend and keep everything crossed this damn weather improves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'd just like to suggest a book for everyone to read. It is an intensely moving, powerful book and it may be tough going at times but i feel anyone in our shoes (none of us are alone remember that people - our shoes may all be different sizes but they are still shoes. peace and strength xx) should at least consider it.

The book is called:

"A Life Too Short - The Tragedy of Robert Enke" by Ronald Reng.

Robert Enke was a German soccer goalkeeper who walked in front of a train in 2009 with seemingly the world at his feet. A new baby girl, a World Cup in South Africa on the horizon. He was co-writing the book with his friend, and author, Ronald Reng. Ultimately the idea was that when Roberts football career was over, he could turn the spotlight on to the lifelong battle he had with clinical depression. Unfortunately Roberts battle ended that day in 2009. Ronald took it upon himself to do his friends wishes justice and completed the book.

For non-sports fans, don't worry - whilst there are a lot of soccer references and stories in the book, it is NOT a sports book. It is a living document to the battle Robert went through with depression. If he were a bricklayer or doctor or lawyer, then there would be references to bricklaying, medicine or law - his profession was merely what he did. So don't fret over the sports related aspects, non-sports fans will gain just as much as sports fans.

It's such a powerful book. It resonates strongly with how i have felt over the years and i'm positive it will do so with a lot of us out there. To read the book actually takes inner strength and courage, as this mans battles ultimately ended in his death. But if you can find the strength to read it, i think it will be a helpful and cathartic read.

And once again - strength and peace to all of you. Remember something - admitting weakness is one of the strongest things we can ever do.

Thinking of you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Jammstarr, hope you're doing okay, man.)

Thank man :)
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Ditto . . Its a real cant quite put my finger on it day. .

Are days like this the norm or the exception for you Drumpot?

jammstarr wrote: »
    Thank man :)

Are days like this the norm or the exception for you Drumpot?

The norm nowadays . . But in all fairness, I know exactly why I feel like this (alot of serious stress/pressure) . .

But my wife will confirm that I can go days or weeks even months "ok" and likewise weeks/days/months then be just Distant, lethargic, non responsive (like a zombie) . . The anti depressents work at making me "ok", but they had side effects I just couldnt live with.

How about you . . Is it a daily thing or sporadic like me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 valise le tete

This is a nice thread to read. I never talk to anyone about how I feel, I always think Ill bother them, like they have enough to deal with in their own lives without me moaning. So, have found reading this quite comforting.

One issue I have is telling my partner how I feel. He is Bipolar and I always feel if I say how im feeling , its like stealing his thunder, I know that sounds silly. Im afraid if I have to lean on him at all it will be too much for him but to be honest, I feel I can't say anything, I have to be the happy one all the time, Im finding it more and more difficult. He is a lovely person btw, has a good heart and means well. I think part of the way I feel is due to worry about him and how he's feeling. Its all a bit of a mess in my head really.

Bejebus, Drumpot. I've got to send out the virtual hugs again tonight...?

Yeah... okay. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/okay-guy

Look after yourself, man. Have a great weekend and keep everything crossed this damn weather improves!

Thanks very much . . I hope you have a great weekend too my friend . .

And just for you I spent the last hour in the attick looking for my poem (it was in an old diary) . . Couldnt find it . .Got down disgusted . . But I couldnt shake the thought that it was in my wardrobe for some reason (under a sh*t load of stuff) . . I pulled everything out and voila - it was at the bottom . . 1999 Diary (copied from my 1998 diary!) . .

Bit of backround . . I was 20 at the time. I would drink on my own (raid my folks liquor cabinet) regularly. I remember Michelle smiths gold medals in 1996 olympics, i was up for every one of them in a bottle of gin/vodka/whiskey or whatever was available . . I didnt care about myself and was constantly just numb to everything . . When I wrote the poem I had started councelling and for the first time that I could remember, I felt a bit of hope. . .That was what my poem was about because I only felt like a burden, a black sheep of the family thats greatest sin would be to kill oneself only because it would upset my family. I used to think, Im useless and a burden on my family, but god how bad a person would I be if I killed myself !! ! They would never forgive me ! !

Feeling More then Lonely - written @ 11.30pm Feb 8th 1998 by Drumpot (a 20 years old Drumpot! F**k me I feel my age now!)

Whats it all about ?
    Dancing, Singing, Crying, Loving!
    You said you would do it whenever you wanted to
    But you never ever tried, you just died
    On your own when you needed help
    You took a drink when you needed a yelp
    You did it to yourself but now you are reborn
    Your lifes starting over, broken from being torn.

When you're feeling down, let yourself frown
    Go with the flow
    When you need a hand, reach out for there is always help, its never too late . . .
    Why wait?
    Who are you really and what do you want ?
    You dont know me and I dont know you, yet we are one

I know now what it is like to have harmless fun
    With my pain and anger all bottled inside
    I learned well not to show it but when drunk could not hide
    I hurt who was close to me
    Why didnt they know, why didnt they see?

I cry now as I write this
    For what reason I do not know
    But I draw comfort from my tears
    as Im able to show
    Im so tired, yet alive and willing to go
    The more that I am you, Im getting to know
    My family and friends have been great to me
    It means so much to me or you, whoevering I may be

That poem is genuinley one of the proudest things I have done in my life . . For anybody who doesnt understand the pain, suffering and loneliness that people suffering from depression can go through, being able to (after years of torture and feeling like nobody knew me) express my inner torture so clearly, was and still is something (one of the few things) that makes me proud of myself. Im not saying this for self gratification, Im saying it , hoping that somebody can relate to it and find some hope that while they might feel all is hopeless, there is still a chance and you can prevail. .

Just looking through my diary reminds me of how far I have come, but also how I have to keep on trucking . . For anybody younger then me (or older), I hope you can share your stories and your pain here like I have (talk about taking over the thread, Im sorry all, I will try to limit my posts now that I have gone overload the last few days). I just feel like its great to share my experiences, in the hope that somebody, anybody, can take something from what I have strived to do to make myself happy. and sorry for the long posts, Im just so psyched I found my poem (its made my night actually - its the little things in life!) and Im delighted to share it with fellow "happy challanged" boardies . .

This is a nice thread to read. I never talk to anyone about how I feel, I always think Ill bother them, like they have enough to deal with in their own lives without me moaning. So, have found reading this quite comforting.

One issue I have is telling my partner how I feel. He is Bipolar and I always feel if I say how im feeling , its like stealing his thunder, I know that sounds silly. Im afraid if I have to lean on him at all it will be too much for him but to be honest, I feel I can't say anything, I have to be the happy one all the time, Im finding it more and more difficult. He is a lovely person btw, has a good heart and means well. I think part of the way I feel is due to worry about him and how he's feeling. Its all a bit of a mess in my head really.

My wife is like that with me and I hate myself for it. . And part of the problem, is admittedly me . . I am very good at expressing my feelings (something I was awful at when younger), but I am now, at least on occasions, very good at articulating to my wife how I feel and why I feel that way. It makes her feel that things that upset her are irrelevant in comparison to my pain. . As she says "it always feels like you have far more serious things to worry about" and part of the problem in my view is that I have to work on listening to her more and trying to empathise, even if I think that she is getting worked up about things that are trivial in my eyes.

I think its vital that my wife can tell me even the most trivial things, IF THEY REALLY UPSET HER. A persons worst fears or anguish might not bother somebody else, all that matters is that its really serious/important to them. . I admit I havent perfected the art of encouraging my wife to speak more (I try and sometimes Im just barely keeping myself going so I fail!), but I think its terribly important that you dont feel alienated or that your problems/worries feel downgraded by your partners troubles . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

I have stopped taking my meds for a week now. I know I should not have. Should get the next batch tomorrow. Doctor doubled the dose

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

cena wrote: »
    I have stopped taking my meds for a week now. I know I should not have. Should get the next batch tomorrow. Doctor doubled the dose

How are you feeling at the moment?

I was having a crappy day yesterday, but offloading it on here felt a bit better.

How are you feeling at the moment?

I was having a crappy day yesterday, but offloading it on here felt a bit better.

Same as always. My depression is due an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Sorry to hear about that. Does the medication help much with it?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about that. Does the medication help much with it?

Thanks. Ya it helps a small bit.

Advertisement