Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we have a separate copyright topic?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

There are so many posts about it that I think it should be given its own section. That way people who are fuzzy about their rights can look over all previous posts more easily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

+1 for this idea.

Either that or put up a wiki for it (and another for when your images are used without permission)

Sometimes it seems there's not much more than those 2 topics here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

AS we're at it, how about one for model/property releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Do you mean a sticky or a sub-forum? Either seems unnecessary. Stickies lose value if there are a lot of them and sub-forums are a pain in the ass generally. I haven't noticed so many copyright threads that they're overwhelming the forum.

In my opinion, there aren't really that many of these threads, it's just that the forum is really bare since the creation of the workshop subforum, that we notice them more than before?

I think the workshop sub-forum kinda killed the main forum? As far as I can see, if you want anything outside of copyright advice or C+C then you go to the workshop. Seems most advice or opinion threads, not related to a photo that you've already taken, are moved there anyway.

Forum would probably be better off if the workshop was scrapped and amalgamated with the main forum again, and replaced with a C+C subforum, no?

A single weekly/monthly challenge thread would make the photo challenge sub-forum redundant too, surely?

But sure what do I know. I'm just banging on now.

I'd be against a Copyright sticky. Stickies are generally useless. They contain too much information (which ultimately makes them unusable as the person looking at it won't know where to start) or they are rolling threads, like the buying advice thread, where genuinely helpful replies are few and far between. (I'm not just talking about those two as stickies, I do mean stickies in general. On most forums they're intended to help, but rarely do, it seems).

All in my own opinion of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We can discuss this in the Mod Team.

My personal take on this is that a dedicated Sub-Forum would probably be a gathering place for tumbleweed. It would also giving an emphasis to the subject which we cannot justify. As copyright extends far beyond photograpghy it may be more suited to a Legal Forum.

We have had a few threads on issues concerning copyright and image theft. Each of these have some common issues but also vary considerably. Having a combined thread would make it very difficult to look back at the history of each incident. We do have these combined threads for things like the Gear Requests & also Repairs where there will be a request and quick responses. This helps keep the forum clear of noise for more important discussion.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think the workshop sub-forum kinda killed the main forum? As far as I can see, if you want anything outside of copyright advice or C+C then you go to the workshop. Seems most advice or opinion threads, not related to a photo that you've already taken, are moved there anyway.

Forum would probably be better off if the workshop was scrapped and amalgamated with the main forum again, and replaced with a C+C subforum, no?

The Main Forum is for Photography. This forum is in the Arts Category.

The Workshop is for discussion on the tools & techniques used to create Photographs.

If you want a Camera Forum then we should move it to Technology, but I would prefer the emphasis stay on the Art.

CabanSail wrote: »
    The Main Forum is for Photography. This forum is in the Arts Category.

The Workshop is for discussion on the tools & techniques used to create Photographs.

If you want a Camera Forum then we should move it to Technology, but I would prefer the emphasis stay on the Art.

You're the mod. :)

Was just throwing the opinion out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

sounds like a FAQ rather than a dedicated subforum or sticky?

There is an open / ongoing request for FAQ entries in the FAQs Read this before posting!;
    Any takers for these:
    "Is there any way to recover images i deleted?"
    "Someone has taken and used my image on their site, what can I do/copyright laws?"
    "Best/Most affordable tripod?"
    "Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop?"
    "What rights do I hold with my photograph(s), and regards selling them?"
    "I'd like to sell stock photos, what sites are there?"
    "How can i get my shots printed in X paper?"
    "What Photography Courses outside of Dublin? (Perhaps?)
    "Do I need Photography Specific Insurance or am I covered under my Home Insurance"

If anyone wants to write up a FAQ with links to existing threads, then i'm sure the mods would gladly publish it so long as it points to discussion and resources rather than specific legal advice (which none of us give unless of course that you are a legal eagle in real life and take on the indemnity around such advice :pac:)

Advertisement