Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Are there any scholarships for UCD, no? :P
    My mate said something an Elite one? He said 6A1s and ya get all your fees paid :pac: Shame I'm not a genius like him.. and not going to UCD :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Pfft, 6 A1s?! I'm only gonna get 5 and an A2 :(
    (As if :pac:)
    Dammit UCD, why so stingy! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Pfft, 6 A1s?! I'm only gonna get 5 and an A2 :(
    (As if :pac:)
    Dammit UCD, why so stingy! :P
    I'd say there must be something else though... I know it's a big college and all but I doubt they would have just an elite and sports scholarship? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Eathrin wrote: »
    If anybody qualifies for the student grant, you may be eligible for all-Ireland scholarships, 25000 euro worth paid over 4 years I think! Catch-22, you have to do a really good leaving cert.

Excuse me while I go change my underwear... :P Is that the J.P McManus or is it a diff one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If anybody qualifies for the student grant, you may be eligible for all-Ireland scholarships, 25000 euro worth paid over 4 years I think! Catch-22, you have to do a really good leaving cert.

Don't you have to have a medical card and be eligible to have your leaving cert fee paid for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

David1994 wrote: »
    I cant wait for the summer :P But it would be an even better summer if I knew I did my best :D

I know yeah I really hope these exams are better than last year. I'd hate for a repeat of the last one. I'm glad I have a break for my last exam even though most will be off .

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Very very off topic, but anyone thinking of going to DCU, have you applied to Shanowen Square for accommodation? I applied a couple of weeks back and now they're not accepting any more applications due to the high volume received. So relieved I got in early, I mean I was thinking of waiting till after the leaving! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

The NUIG grant is almost 2000 euro, such an incentive to study like. If I get it I'd actually be so happy! Saying that I'd probably spend it in a few months :L

Ah, ce sentiment lorsqu'on ecrit un beau piéce en Francais, je l'adore. :D Also I've got hardly nothing done today, I think I need to throw my laptop out the window. :cool:
    The NUIG grant is almost 2000 euro, such an incentive to study like. If I get it I'd actually be so happy! Saying that I'd probably spend it in a few months :L

Yeah it'd be great, that + the grant + the Naughton scholarship would be amazing, I could live like a king. :P Does anyone know if in the French e-mail questions you have to put in a fake email for the person you're writing to? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yeah the Jp McManus/All Ireland Scholarships.
    You must have a medical card I believe and get some where in the region of >550, best two per county get it at least, more are agreed to good counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Togepi afaik there are 40 scholarships in ul for high results they are divide up amongst the different departments, I think that's what the poster in our school said! I feel like they're either 1000 or 2000 in value!

You must have a medical card I believe and get some where in the region of >550, best two per county get it at least, more are agreed to good counties.

I guarantee that everyone in this thread is having the same thought right now: "I could get that!" :P I think everyone should go for it though, I know I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Yeah it'd be great, that + the grant + the Naughton scholarship would be amazing, I could live like a king. :P Does anyone know if in the French e-mail questions you have to put in a fake email for the person you're writing to? :L

Am I right in saying you can only get the naughton scholarship if you're from certain counties? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

How did it get to the stage where we only have 8 days left? It seems like only a week ago that I was saying "Ah sure, I have months yet, be grand."

:(

Wesc. wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you can only get the naughton scholarship if you're from certain counties? :/

I believe you are :(http://www.thenaughtonfoundation.com/scholarship/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Ally7 wrote: »
    Togepi afaik there are 40 scholarships in ul for high results they are divide up amongst the different departments, I think that's what the poster in our school said! I feel like they're either 1000 or 2000 in value!

Thank you! I knew about those though, they're only this year because it's UL's anniversary. :D I just thought they might have had a set one every year, but maybe not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Those scholarships annoy me so much... I may get hurled abuse for this but they are so unfair !! If you have a medical card you can also get a grant and then these amazing scholarships !! :( If you have a medical card, you get medical expenses pretty much paid for plus your exam fee and much more :(
    Like hello, college is expense for everyone and I feel its more middle class who are suffering here, lower class get benefits etc and higher class can afford it :P but middle class familys who arent eligible for grants/medical cards/ benefits can't even get these top scholarships :(
    Sorry I just think they are unjust !! If you need financial help for college that's what grants are for, scholarships are supposed to be academic awards whether you are rich or poor :/ and most scholarships in Ireland are exclusively for people who are eligible for grants :(

Those scholarships annoy me so much... I may get hurled abuse for this but they are so unfair !! If you have a medical card you can also get a grant and then these amazing scholarships !! :( If you have a medical card, you get medical expenses pretty much paid for plus your exam fee and much more :(
    Like hello, college is expense for everyone and I feel its more middle class who are suffering here, lower class get benefits etc and higher class can afford it :P but middle class familys who arent eligible for grants/medical cards/ benefits can't even get these top scholarships :(
    Sorry I just think they are unjust !! If you need financial help for college that's what grants are for, scholarships are supposed to be academic awards whether you are rich or poor :/ and most scholarships in Ireland are exclusively for people who are eligible for grants :(

Here here! :D

Definitely, the difference in financial position between the educated unemployed in Ireland who sit at home all day doing (mostly) nothing and the cash-strapped middle class who work 6-8 hour days is almost nil, the middle class have it harder atm in reality. Having to pay for medicine and stuff too would be crazy expensive I'd say, especially if you have a condition like asthma or something where you might have to get inhalers or something like once a month. Doesn't seem like much but it adds up. Either way, 3rd level education should be fully bankrolled by the exchequer, as we all know that worked fine when we were all buying fúckloads of houses and paying loads of tax but there is a way to spread the cost without having to be a rich country (see Sweden - or as I like to call it, Sweet-en. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

I am sorry but that is not true to get the full maintence grant the family income must be under something like €41,000 and once you are under €60,000 or something you will get something I think college fees for all grants. I know plenty of people who's parents work and get the full and half maintence grant so you dont just have to have a medical card, while I know people who are on social welfare and are under €28,000 or something they get an extra €1,500 top up middle class can still get grants don't be mislead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

In a question on deception on Hamlet would be enough to talk about how he is deceived by Gertrude and Claudius and the court??....Going blank here and cant think of anything else to say :confused:

In a question on deception on Hamlet would be enough to talk about how he is deceived by Gertrude and Claudius and the court??....Going blank here and cant think of anything else to say :confused:

Claudius uses deception and false appearance by marrying gertrude to become king. Old rosencrantz and guildenstern also betray and deceive Hamlet. Cloak of madness is also deception. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

You could talk about deception between Polonius and Laertes & Ophelia? Or if you want deception exclusive to Hamlet then you could talk about how Polonius uses Ophelia to deceive Hamlet.

Also, if you're really stuck, you could get a paragraph out of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's deception?

He is also deceived regularly by R+G, Laertes, Polonius is party to his attempted manipulation and you could say that Ophelia is an unwilling collaborator in his manipulation. If you want to get super-deep (I don't recommend it but yea :P), then talk about how because of his destablisation by circumstances, he is 'deceived' to some extent by everything. In fact, he really is deceived by everyone a certain extent in the play. Just remember, it's all about the spin, if you can argue the point that he is deceived by whoever and it reads well, you'll get marks. :) Also, Hamlet worries that the Ghost is the devil 'who hath power t'assume a pleasing shape', another example of deception. Polonius deceives Ophelia. Claudius deceives Gertrude (she doesn't know he killed elder Hamlet) 'As bad, my mother, as kill a king and marry with his brother' - 'As kill a king?'. Hamlet also deceives R+G when he sends them to England to die.

Also I remember you posting that you had some Hamlet plans made out, would you mind pm'ing me them if you have 'em typed up? I have some french notes made out that I can send you in return and poetry essays. It'd help me out a lot 'cos I have no prep done for Hamlet apart from learning off the structure and quotes!

You could talk about deception between Polonius and Laertes & Ophelia? Or if you want deception exclusive to Hamlet then you could talk about how Polonius uses Ophelia to deceive Hamlet.

Also, if you're really stuck, you could get a paragraph out of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's deception?

On a side note, since this question appeared last year (i think) is it likely to come up again?

Ah thanks so much lads :D They are good ideas...Could really fill my answer with those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I am sorry but that is not true to get the full maintence grant the family income must be under something like €41,000 and once you are under €60,000 or something you will get something I think college fees for all grants. I know plenty of people who's parents work and get the full and half maintence grant so you dont just have to have a medical card, while I know people who are on social welfare and are under €28,000 or something they get an extra €1,500 top up middle class can still get grants don't be mislead.

I know plenty of people whose parents work and still get grants... but what's the difference in earning 62,000 and 60,000 ? very little in fairness. I also know of people who get accountants to fix things up so they can get grants.. and it happens all the time :/ But thats not my point. I just think scholarships shouldn't take in someones financial position!! they are scholarships, not grants!!
    I've just got bones to pick with a system which says you'll only get rewarded for doing well academically but only if you're eligible for a grant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

I know plenty of people whose parents work and still get grants... but what's the difference in earning 62,000 and 60,000 ? very little in fairness. I also know of people who get accountants to fix things up so they can get grants.. and it happens all the time :/ But thats not my point. I just think scholarships shouldn't take in someones financial position!! they are scholarships, not grants!!
    I've just got bones to pick with a system which says you'll only get rewarded for doing well academically but only if you're eligible for a grant :P

Thats where the entrance scholarships, music or sports ones come into play they reward you on 'preformance' in the leaving cert or a certain field.....

@Dwellingdweller Thanks for the advice and yep I have a few plans made out...Nothing too fancy but maybe they will be help :P
    What you looking for? Hopefully I will have it :)

• Advertisement

May I plug?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056655032

Might be of interest to some of you interested in DCU next year, worth a shot!

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement