Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas in campervan conversion

Options
  • 17-05-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,I am looking for some information in regards to gas regulations in a campervan conversion,I have a ford transit that was half converted and I want to complete it but I have no idea if the gas connection should be internal or external and if there should be certain types of ventilation.

I have looked around the web pretty extensively but to no avail,I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction :) any information would much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi,
    There are plenty of threads on conversions where you can see what others have done but as far as regulations go: There are none.!

Gas and interior fittings, although there are certain things that are required for it to be classed as a camper, are not checked in anyway during a DOE test. At some time in the future they will be but not at the moment.

One thread that seems to be a good start is by Buford T justice, I would suggest you start there.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Gas can be internal but in must be in a locker, with a vent in the floor (gas is heavier than air) the flex hose must be less than 18 inches, the rest should be copper. Put a vent at the fridge if you use a 3 way fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

actually , in most European builds it's steel pipe , coated stuff that doesn't rust . I find it easier to work than copper , very malleable , less likely to kink , and a whole lot stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Can you source the steel stuff in Ireland Aidan_M_M sounds much better. Copper 'work hardens' when you bend it so its a pain to rebend also hardens with age so you need to get really fresh stuff to be malleable or anneal it with a torch which is a pain and not practical if its pvc coated.

yup , I use nothing else . We stock both sizes , and T fittings , 90s and straight joiners.

• Advertisement

Gas can be internal but in must be in a locker, with a vent in the floor (gas is heavier than air) the flex hose must be less than 18 inches, the rest should be copper. Put a vent at the fridge if you use a 3 way fridge

spacehopper, you're saying here that these things "must be" as opposed to should be.
    I'm wondering where the ruling is on this because some of my fittings etc are not quite as you describe!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

spacehopper, you're saying here that these things "must be" as opposed to should be.
    I'm wondering where the ruling is on this because some of my fittings etc are not quite as you describe!!.

I read it in a leaflet from the Motor caravan club maybe it's their rule it's probably to put off cowboy conversions with all flex hose that will crack over time

That sounds about right.
    Obviously for safety reasons what you say is correct, don't know what they would have to say about the way the gas is fitted in my 'van, although it came out of the factory the way it is.

The answer that I gave to idiotaboard is correct as things stand with the law and the test at the moment.

it's the same in Household units , the only flexi pipe allowed is from the bottle to the wall , after that it's solid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 idiotaboard

Thanks for the info folks,much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    it's the same in Household units , the only flexi pipe allowed is from the bottle to the wall , after that it's solid .

I'm not saying that it should be done any other way, but is this a law that applies, to houses and campervans etc, only when fitted by a commercial/registered gas fitter but not DIY?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I'm not saying that it should be done any other way, but is this a law that applies, to houses and campervans etc, only when fitted by a commercial/registered gas fitter but not DIY?

How could a law not apply to a DIY installation??? The regulations apply regardless of who is fitting. That applies to all regulations.

*Kol* wrote: »
    How could a law not apply to a DIY installation??? The regulations apply regardless of who is fitting. That applies to all regulations.

Sorry but I have heard qualified tradesmen say "This is the way I have to do it, if YOU want to do it another way, that's up to you".

I had it said to me when I laid pipe from the new outdoor gas tank to the boiler. When the calor gas fitter came to do the connections he asked me how deep I had buried the pipe, when I told him the reply was that he would have had to go down another 4 or 5 inches.

Sorry but I have heard qualified tradesmen say "This is the way I have to do it, if you want to do it another way, that's up to you".

I had it said to me when I laid pipe from the new outdoor gas tank to the boiler. When the calor gas fitter came to do the connections he asked me how deep I had buried the pipe, when I told him the reply was that he would have had to go down another 4 or 5 inches.

That doesn't mean there is a different standard only that you use tradesmen who don't care for the regulations, if they are willing to go by your instructions and perform a job in a way other than the way it should be done. Why would you ask a qualified tradesman to perform work that doesn't comply with the regulations? If you know best then surely it would be better to cut out the tradesman and do a half arsed job yourself?

Maybe the calor gas fitter would have put the pipe 4 or 5 inches deeper but did it satisfy the regulations? Maybe he was extra conscientious? If it wasn't deep enough he should have told you to put it deeper in the ground.

In summary there is only one standard that "should"apply as we all know. It's up to everybody to apply the correct standard.

*Kol* wrote: »
    That doesn't mean there is a different standard only that you use tradesmen who don't care for the regulations, if they are willing to go by your instructions and perform a job in a way other than the way it should be done. Why would you ask a qualified tradesman to perform work that doesn't comply with the regulations? If you know best then surely it would be better to cut out the tradesman and do a half arsed job yourself?

Maybe the calor gas fitter would have put the pipe 4 or 5 inches deeper but did it satisfy the regulations? Maybe he was extra conscientious? If it wasn't deep enough he should have told you to put it deeper in the ground.

In summary there is only one standard that "should"apply as we all know. It's up to everybody to apply the correct standard.

:mad:
    You have missed my whole point and read things that aren't there!
    where did I say that I have used tradesmen who don't care for the regulations?
    Where did I say that I had asked a qualified tradesman to perform work that doesn't comply with regulations?
    I suggest that you read my post again a little slower.
    I was pointing out that there are rules/laws that apply to some people and not to others.
    Example: If I want to do work on my house that that might mean things falling on my head. that's my problem.
    If I employed a builder to do the job he would be required BY LAW as far as I know to wear a safety hat.

Nothing annoys me more than someone completely misreading a post.
    I answered this thread originally to let Idiotaboard know that gas installation inspection is not part of the test not to be accused of saying things that I never said or implied.

I have just gone back to my original post and changed just one word from lower case to upper case. Perhaps that will help you to understand what I was saying a little easier.

:mad:
    You have missed my whole point and read things that aren't there!
    where did I say that I have used tradesmen who don't care for the regulations?
    Where did I say that I had asked a qualified tradesman to perform work that doesn't comply with regulations?
    I suggest that you read my post again a little slower.
    I was pointing out that there are rules/laws that apply to some people and not to others.
    Example: If I want to do work on my house that that might mean things falling on my head. that's my problem.
    If I employed a builder to do the job he would be required BY LAW as far as I know to wear a safety hat.

Nothing annoys me more than someone completely misreading a post.
    I answered this thread originally to let Idiotaboard know that gas installation inspection is not part of the test not to be accused of saying things that I never said or implied.

I have just gone back to my original post and changed just one word from lower case to upper case. Perhaps that will help you to understand what I was saying a little easier.

I read your post well. I just used the word "you" in the same way as you did. I wasnt referring to YOU specifically. I think you misread my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Hi guys,I am looking for some information in regards to gas regulations in a campervan conversion,I have a ford transit that was half converted and I want to complete it but I have no idea if the gas connection should be internal or external and if there should be certain types of ventilation.

Have a look at this, British Standard EN1949 http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/fod/oc/400-499/440_34.pdf

Not saying it's the bible but it will put you on the right track.

Even though a MH gas system is not inspected as part of the current CRW, I would like to think even a DIY converter would be conscientious enough to follow industry best practice and recognised international standards when installing a gas system. Especially in a vehicle likely to be carrying both you and friends or family.

I installed a new gas water boiler in our MH over the winter. Though I fitted and adapted the existing pipe-work, I used an registered gas installer to do the final connection to the unit and to pressure test the entire system afterwards.

Bottom line: Don't phuck with gas! Hope this helps and best of luck in finishing the conversion.

Advertisement