Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hype710 wrote: »
    My Team for the BaaBaas, provided Leinster make it through tonight:

Jones, O' Halloran, Cave, Wallace, Earls, Keatley, Murray, Court, Sherry, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Tuohy, Muldoon, Henry (C), O' Mahony.

Reps: Best, Loughney, O' Callaghan, O' Donnell, Marshall, Spence, Gilroy.

I would have Gilroy over Earls on the wing, Gilroy deserves/needs the chance to impress, Earls doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Jones, O' Halloran, Cave, Wallace, Earls, Keatley, Murray, Court, Sherry, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Tuohy, Muldoon, Henry (C), O' Mahony.

Loughney for either of the props and make subs at half time with Loughney moving to the other side of the scrum to test his ability to switch from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

gally74 wrote: »
    If new Zealand were coming to Ireland they would bring

Madigan, paddy Wallace and keatley

I don't think they would tbh.
    So the starting tea against the Barbarians, I guess will be...

Horan, Sherry, Archer, DOC, McCarthy, Ryan, TOD, POM, Murray, ROG, Zebo, Downey, Earls, Murphy, Jones

Bloody hell...you're probably right :p

That looks a good team, though it has to be decided how much experimentation needs to be done. I'd give Marshall a game at 9, we know what Murray can do. I'd prefer Spence at 12 tbh, Wallace is another player that we know about, he's hardly going to benefit from a game against the BaaBaas. Same with Earls/Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tox56 wrote: »
    I would have Gilroy over Earls on the wing, Gilroy deserves/needs the chance to impress, Earls doesn't.

If Earls is going to slot in on the wing in NZ he needs to find his feet in the 11 jersey again though. Ideally I'd like to see him at 13 with BOD inside him (they'd probably reverse the jersey numbering), but with all our other established wings either injured or out of form (Trimble), he'll probably be shifted outside. Gilroy should be first choice for the other wing.

I'd like Duffy to start ahead of Jones too. Duffy is in good form and despite never stepping up to international level when given the shot, Jones isn't playing well at present. He'll be much better suited to get a full preseason under his belt at Munster.

I'd like to see the following for the Baa-Baas:
    1. Court
    2. Sherry
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. Touhy
    5. Ryan
    6. Muldoon
    7. Henry
    8. POM (C) - I have to get one!
    9. Murray
    10. Keatley
    11. Earls - Zebo if Earls as seen as a 13 for the tour.
    12. Wallace - Downey might be more suited as we don't utilise Wallace properly at international level.
    13. Cave - Earls as seen as a 13 for the tour.
    14. Gilroy
    15. Duffy

I'm not sure on the makeup of the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Good teams all. We have plenty of options.

No way POM should captain the team after how rudderless Munster looked last night. I'd imagine Muldoon would captain that team as he's captained under Kidney in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pretty sure Henry captained the Wolfhounds ahead of Muldoon, although who knows about his ankle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. Ryan
    5. Tuohy
    6. McLaughlin
    7. O'Mahony
    8. O'Brien
    9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Earls
    12. Wallace
    13. Cave
    14. Gilroy
    15. Kearney

16. Sherry
    17. Loughney
    18. Toner
    19. Henry
    20. Murray
    21. O'Gara
    22. O'Halloran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Good teams all. We have plenty of options.

No way POM should captain the team after how rudderless Munster looked last night. I'd imagine Muldoon would captain that team as he's captained under Kidney in the past.

Wouldn't agree with POM captaining yesterday but he was one of a handful of players who enhanced his rep last night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with POM captaining yesterday but he was one of a handful of players who enhanced his rep last night
    Personal rep yes, captaincy rep not at all imo

There was one point he was asked to talk to his players and he didn't bother

Personal rep yes, captaincy rep not at all imo

There was one point he was asked to talk to his players and he didn't bother

Must watch it again (although I might find that hard!)

Think it's a bit unfair to have captaincy hoisted on him at such a young age anyway, for club or country

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. Ryan
    5. Tuohy
    6. McLaughlin
    7. O'Mahony
    8. O'Brien
    9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Earls
    12. Wallace
    13. Cave
    14. Gilroy
    15. Kearney

16. Sherry
    17. Loughney
    18. Toner
    19. Henry
    20. Murray
    21. O'Gara
    22. O'Halloran
    Very few if any leinster players will be available for the babas

Hagz wrote: »
    1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Fitzpatrick
    4. Ryan
    5. Tuohy
    6. McLaughlin
    7. O'Mahony
    8. O'Brien
    9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Earls
    12. Wallace
    13. Cave
    14. Gilroy
    15. Kearney

16. Sherry
    17. Loughney
    18. Toner
    19. Henry
    20. Murray
    21. O'Gara
    22. O'Halloran

McLoughlin Kearney and OBrien will be pretty tired hopefully...

Edit: And Madigan and Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bit ironic that Leinster players are almost being punished for the province doing so well this year, regarding the Irish set up. Few will get a chance against the baabaas and thus might miss out on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bit ironic that Leinster players are almost being punished for the province doing so well this year, regarding the Irish set up. Few will get a chance against the baabaas and thus might miss out on the tour.

I reckon the chance to play in a HEC and potential Robo final will provide plenty of opportunities to them. Being involved in the finals rather than a baabaas match won't lessen their chances imo, if anything it will increase them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Going on previous form, I highly doubt the Baabaas game will have any impact on Kidney's selections anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

So the starting tea against the Barbarians, I guess will be...

Horan, Sherry, Archer, DOC, McCarthy, Ryan, TOD, POM, Murray, ROG, Zebo, Downey, Earls, Murphy, Jones

Put me out of my misery now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

OK, someone explain this to me:

The team fly out to NZ the day after the BaaBaas game, am I correct in that?

If so, surely the squad will have been named before that match (and possibly before the Rabo final), so these games will not actually affect the make-up of the squad?

So, what's the point?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So, what's the point?

Money?

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I reckon the chance to play in a HEC and potential Robo final will provide plenty of opportunities to them. Being involved in the finals rather than a baabaas match won't lessen their chances imo, if anything it will increase them.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Going on previous form, I highly doubt the Baabaas game will have any impact on Kidney's selections anyway.

I hope that you are both correct. Only problem with your logic though is that Ireland have this guy in charge called Declan Kidney...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Just listened to O'Shea after the Quins v Northamption match. His interview was so coherent, articulate, insightful, self-critical, and optimistic. Such a contract to to rambling, nonsensical, banalities offered by Kidney. I so wish O'Shea was Ireland coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ambid wrote: »
    Just listened to O'Shea after the Quins v Northamption match. His interview was so coherent, articulate, insightful, self-critical, and optimistic. Such a contract to to rambling, nonsensical, banalities offered by Kidney. I so wish O'Shea was Ireland coach.

To be honest, I don't think he's international coach material YET. But I would love for him to be involved with the team somehow.

I can O'Shea maybe getting the Leinster gig next. Hopefully on the back of JS getting the Irish job.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can O'Shea maybe getting the Leinster gig next. Hopefully on the back of JS getting the Irish job.
    I reckon Jonno Gibbes will get a promotion if Joe Schmidt leaves

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

OK, someone explain this to me:

The team fly out to NZ the day after the BaaBaas game, am I correct in that?

If so, surely the squad will have been named before that match (and possibly before the Rabo final), so these games will not actually affect the make-up of the squad?

So, what's the point?

I'd imagine it has the same point as any A game.

Even if we did bring an extended squad to NZ and played mid week games there will still be players who will have no chance of being in the first team squad. The games they would be play would be to see how they get on in an Irish set up.

I just wish the BaaBaa game was in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

His role has changed massively in the side with the introduction of SOB. He's become an absolute menace at the breakdown, with consistently high turnover stats and penalties forced. He's still the number 1 #8 when it comes to unclean ball from a scrum, evidenced recently enough in the Leinster v Clermont semi final.

Like I said before, if Trappatoni asks Robbie Keane to play a defensive midfield role at the Euros, and he plays it absolutely perfectly, people criticising him for not scoring any goals have massively missed the point of his role in the team. (Trappatoni would need his head examined if he were to ask him to do so, but a shining example could help some people see the light).

To be fair - I don't think many people who really know their rugby would dispute that Healsip still plays an important role for both Ireland and Leinster. I'd even go so far as to say on current form he is in contention for a starting Lions jearsey. It's also obvious that he is taking on more breakdown work than previously.

But in 2009 Heaslip was a nominee for world player of the year (one of 6). He is not still playing at that level. I certainly don't think so anyway and when BOD was interviewed on Sky Sports earlier this season (as a pundit) he conceded that Heaslip "was not hitting the extremely high standards he previously has".

I'm not suggesting he gets dropped from either Ireland or Leinster - but two years ago on his trajectory he was heading towards being as important to Irelamd as BOD and POC. Now he is merely a guaranteed starter (one of maybe 6 or 8).

padser wrote: »
    To be fair - I don't think many people who really know their rugby would dispute that Healsip still plays an important role for both Ireland and Leinster. I'd even go so far as to say on current form he is in contention for a starting Lions jearsey. It's also obvious that he is taking on more breakdown work than previously.

But in 2009 Heaslip was a nominee for world player of the year (one of 6). He is not still playing at that level. I certainly don't think so anyway and when BOD was interviewed on Sky Sports earlier this season (as a pundit) he conceded that Heaslip "was not hitting the extremely high standards he previously has".

I'm not suggesting he gets dropped from either Ireland or Leinster - but two years ago on his trajectory he was heading towards being as important to Irelamd as BOD and POC. Now he is merely a guaranteed starter (one of maybe 6 or 8).

I thought this bull**** notion of Heaslip not playing well would have been done away with after last night

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone know when the A squad or Ireland touring squad will be announced?

I'm guessing it's sometime this week as the BaaBaa game is just over 2 weeks away (it's two weeks on Tuesday).

There was talk of the Rabo final being on the Sunday and on the Leinster website fixtures page it's down as 4pm on the Sunday evening. This could rule out any Leinster match day squad players as they more than likely won't be doing any training with the Ireland squad in the week before the game and will only have 1 day rest before the game.

Yes the Rabo final is definitely on Sunday at 4pm. Rabo released the dates of all potential matchups before the weekend. It's to prevent clashing with the FAI game which would probably draw some of the crowd away.

I don't think we'll see any Leinster players in the BaaBaas squad. Its not an A game though is it?

Yes the Rabo final is definitely on Sunday at 4pm. Rabo released the dates of all potential matchups before the weekend. It's to prevent clashing with the FAI game which would probably draw some of the crowd away.

I don't think we'll see any Leinster players in the BaaBaas squad. Its not an A game though is it?

No, it's listed as an Ireland XV game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I thought this bull**** notion of Heaslip not playing well would have been done away with after last night
    Tell that to BOD, who clearly doesn't have a clue about these things... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement