Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ROG has been having a pretty poor season since the beginning of the World Cup. His style of rugby is easily countered now and Munster no longer have the Wallace pack to babysit him. Cracking accuracy from a mark but has been spotty with kicks from hand. I'm not saying he is done but Munster and Ireland need to start phasing him out soonish or they'll only be having a mare in a season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    10's are normally charged with unlocking defenses

Sextons put plenty of good defenses to the sword this season

Like who? Munster's defence hasn't been great this season, but Leinster didn't manage to put Munster to the sword (all penalties & drop goals;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

jm08 wrote: »
    Like who? Munster's defence hasn't been great this season, but Leinster didn't manage to put Munster to the sword (all penalties & drop goals;))

Cardiff, Clermont, Italy, Bath, Scotland.........basically every game sextons played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Munster's defence has been quite good actually. Conceded one less try in the Rabo than Leinster did. Joint ninth in the HEC pool stages for lowest number of tries conceded as well.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Cardiff, Clermont, Italy, Bath, Scotland.........basically every game sextons played

Clermont is probably the only one of those that would be rated for having a good defence - Healy scored a try - the rest of the points came from penalties.

Glasgow has a decent defence. It will be interesting to see how that one goes. Ospreys have the best defence in the Rabo.

Just for the record, Leinster have scored 47 tries in the Rabbo in comparision to Munster scoring 45.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Munster's defence has been quite good actually. Conceded one less try in the Rabo than Leinster did. Joint ninth in the HEC pool stages for lowest number of tries conceded as well.

I know Munster have a decent defence (credit to Ulster breaching it;) )
    It was better last season though (only conceeded 22 tries in the Rabo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I know Munster have a decent defence (credit to Ulster breaching it;) )
    It was better last season though (only conceeded 22 tries in the Rabo).
    I think that has more to do with squad depth than inherent flaws in defence. This season has included a RWC with many of the Munster first teamers away for a protracted spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

After his 'performance' tonight ROG simply cannot tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

After his 'performance' tonight ROG simply cannot tour.

Yes, but will that stop him? He'll still be picked. TOL is even better than Murray and as for BOD having to fight Earls for the 13 jersey... need I say any more ...... Kidders you beaut!

Ospreys are a class act tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Never mind ROG. I'll hate it if he travels but at least he's second choice behind Sexton. I'm much more worried that DOC will start. He's absolutely rubbish now. Offers absolutely nothing around the pitch. It was an absolute joke that he started in the 6N but with POC injured Kidney will go running back to DOC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Clegg wrote: »
    Never mind ROG. I'll hate it if he travels but at least he's second choice behind Sexton. I'm much more worried that DOC will start. He's absolutely rubbish now. Offers absolutely nothing around the pitch. It was an absolute joke that he started in the 6N but with POC injured Kidney will go running back to DOC

If ROG plays like he's playing tonight, he's not 2nd choice. Madigan should be ahead of him, sadly.

I'd be more worried about him at this stage than DOC. DOC won't let you down...on this showing, ROG could. 3 turnovers to tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Clegg wrote: »

Obviously not watching the Munster game, easily the worst performance i've seen from ROG!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    If ROG plays like he's playing tonight, he's not 2nd choice. Madigan should be ahead of him, sadly.

I'd be more worried about him at this stage than DOC. DOC won't let you down...on this showing, ROG could. 3 turnovers to tries.

If ROG plays like he's playing tonight he'd be about 5th choice...

Burgo wrote: »
    Obviously not watching the Munster game, easily the worst performance i've seen from ROG!
    Only watched the first half so I've only just seen that he was turned over 3 times and they all led to Ospreys tries. Awful performance.

He's finished at the top level. In fairness he's been finished for the last 18 months or so but we didn't have anyone better to fill in the replacement 10 jersey.

He'll be brought to New Zealand though. Imagine the fuss that idiots like Hugh Farrelly would make if he wasn't brought? Theres an article in the todays Indo where he says that it's inconceivable that Ireland can beat New Zealand without ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Please stop quoting idiots like Farrelly. He wins if we mention him.

But so many people actually take his opinions seriously. Thats my point. We have too many journalists that are too afraid to criticise poor performances. Farrelly and Thornley just sweep everything under the rug. Thornley was on the radio the other week vehemently backing Kidney. He said he had faith in Kidney and that he was doing a good job with Ireland. We can clearly see that this isn't the case.

Does anyone else think that the ROG horror show won't be mentioned at all in tomorrows papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

ROG and DOC and Murray will travel.
    Nothing will change.
    The way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

In fairness its a bit harsh to be too critical of ROG tonight. He was shìt, but it was his first game in a month and he probably isn't fully fit. A bit of perspective before the pitchforks come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

In fairness its a bit harsh to be too critical of ROG tonight. He was shìt, but it was his first game in a month and he probably isn't fully fit. A bit of perspective before the pitchforks come out.

He was absolutely dire but I think there's clearly something wrong with one of his legs. He didn't kick out of hand at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but who do you think should be the third number 10 to go to New Zealand. At the moment it'd be Sexton, ROG as 1 and 2. Personally I'd like to see Madigan get the nod but is this one step far too radical for Kidney to make or will Paddy Wallace be heading?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

If new Zealand were coming to Ireland they would bring

Madigan, paddy Wallace and keatley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

He was absolutely dire but I think there's clearly something wrong with one of his legs. He didn't kick out of hand at all really.

I'm not so sure. Munster needed to keep the ball for most of the time he was on. He took all the kicks to touch out of hand when Keatley and Zebo could easily have taken them. If he was genuinely not fit (fit enough to be comfortable on the field, not match fitness which would take a few games), McGahan could have brought Barnes on instead in a more orthodox switch or would have taken ROG off near the end instead of Keatley. I really do think that he simply wasn't bothered last night. The last 5-10 minutes were the most indicative of his attitude. I can accept mistakes, missed tackles etc. but he simply strolled around without looking to get involved when his team would look to him for leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

There must have been a reason ROG was on the bench. His kicking to touch from penalties was very conservative, I wouldn't be surprised if his leg hadn't fully recovered. On the other hand, he takes the ball into contact a lot these days as if he's trying to prove he can be a running threat like Sexton. Unfortunately, he got shown up badly by the Ospreys while doing just that yesterday. If his judgement is impaired, he'll be a liability we can't afford against the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ray jay wrote: »
    Unfortunately, he got shown up badly by the Ospreys while doing just that yesterday.

To be fair the Ospreys were good at that all night no matter who they tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

ROG looks even smaller now than before. Has he slimmed down? I can't imagine he'd be able to withstand the targeting he'd get against NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

its_phil wrote: »
    To be fair the Ospreys were good at that all night no matter who they tackled.
    It's not just taking the ball into contact though, nor is it limited to last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ray jay wrote: »
    It's not just taking the ball into contact though, nor is it limited to last night.

I know but I was just pointing out he wasn't the only one who kept hitting a brick wall last night. Ospreys defence was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So the starting tea against the Barbarians, I guess will be...

Horan, Sherry, Archer, DOC, McCarthy, Ryan, TOD, POM, Murray, ROG, Zebo, Downey, Earls, Murphy, Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

My Team for the BaaBaas, provided Leinster make it through tonight:

Jones, O' Halloran, Cave, Wallace, Earls, Keatley, Murray, Court, Sherry, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Tuohy, Muldoon, Henry (C), O' Mahony.

Reps: Best, Loughney, O' Callaghan, O' Donnell, Marshall, Spence, Gilroy.

• Advertisement

Hype710 wrote: »
    My Team for the BaaBaas, provided Leinster make it through tonight:

Jones, O' Halloran, Cave, Wallace, Earls, Keatley, Murray, Court, Sherry, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Tuohy, Muldoon, Henry (C), O' Mahony.

Reps: Best, Loughney, O' Callaghan, O' Donnell, Marshall, Spence, Gilroy.

I would really like to see this team play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement