Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public drinking

Options
  • 10-05-2012 3:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Sometimes I'll open a beer on the way back from the shops or bring some to a park on a sunny day. It seems the norm here in London where you'll see gangs of city boys etc drinking cans while walking to the next bar, and everyone brings booze to the various commons when it gets hot.
    Is it frowned upon in Ireland? Is it even illegal? I always felt more conscious of drinking a beer walking down the street, or if I sometimes cracked open a can on the bus on the way to town for a night out. You're not supposed to drink on the tube here anymore but everyone does it anyway. I don't see a problem as long as you're behaving yourself. Doesn't seem to be a big deal in Spain and Germany from my experience either, far more of it on show there actually. So should we turn a blind eye or have a no tolerence approach to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It would be frowned upon where I live in Surrey, well apart from the chavs naturally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Bang, bullet in the head like that Viet Cong fella, that'll learn em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Very unbecoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

With my public drinking, I go american style with a little brown paper bag myself, makes me look mysterious, like a super hero with alot on his mind :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

It is only really frowned upon in Ireland if you end up passed out lying face down in a puddle of your own piss, shit and vomit in the gutter with your bags around your ankles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

For a country where our national pastime seems to be drinking, a lot of people would look down on an individual sauntering down the road, can of beer in hand. I suppose a big part of it would be the area you're doing it in but personally it doesn't bother me at all. We'd often bring a can for the road when leaving the house to walk to the local.

As for whether or not it's against the law I have no idea, the only time I've seen alcohol being taken off people is when a group of kids outside a Spar in town were acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't beat a load of cans down at the Spanish Arch on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yes, it is common enough in England but causes plenty of problems too. There are many towns/city centres now with alcohol exclusion zones because of the resulting trouble.

Drinking in public in Ireland is frowned upon more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't walk down the street supping on a can but if I was in a park I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Normally this ends up in cans left on the bus / train or stacked up by the bin or against a wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Pretty normal here, although they banned it from public transport a few months back. But in typical German spirit, on the last night before the ban, parties were held on the public transport system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It's not actually illegal but if you're walking through town it may well get taken off you (from experience). I think it's fine to just sit on a bench drinking (from experience). :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

id be arrested here for doing it.
    damn presbyterians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Its illegal to be drunk in Ireland, and afaik, its up to the Gardai's judgement. ie they can take the drink off you, tell you to move on, etc etc, if you dont then they can arrest you.

By the way, its commonly known as knacker drinking in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I'd partake in taking my pint with me from one pub to another thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Not while walking down the street, god no.

The only times I ever drank in public was at the park during a festival or sometimes on the quay at night with a few friends.

Other than that, I've never drank anything on public property.

Not to mention that it'd be very hobo-ish to be drinking in the street and would make you look like an alcoholic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

a fat guy wrote: »
    Not to mention that it'd be very hobo-ish to be drinking in the street and would make you look like an alcoholic.

Yeah well this attitude annoys me. I'm not an alcoholic I just like the taste of beer and sometimes drink outside. You are being judgemental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Pretty sure its illegal in Ireland? The guards were handing out €50 spot fines a year ago, so unless they got rid of that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Does a picnic in the park with a nice pinot noir count as knacker drinking?

Just walked home from work in 27 degree heat with a can. No one batted an eye lid. Gotta love the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Yes of course, there is no social class not partial to a spot of knacker drinking.

I remember in Berlin people wouldn't look bat an eyelid if you where having a beer on public transport, but if theres 10 lads with bags of cans roaring and shouting they seemed to get upset.

The kiosks that sold the tickets for the trains sold beer and you'd see many people having a beer on the train platform on their way home from work.
    Wouldn't work over here though, it wouldbe abused far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Different culture like.

In Britain and Ireland, people see you drinking in the street people think you're going to start accosting them or picking fights. You're seen as unapproachable and antisocial.

Europeans tend to drink in moderation so no one bats an eyelid of you drinking in the street. Europeans drink for enjoyment of the drink, not to get drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Saw 2 people walking down the street drinking cans the other day and thought it was very odd. A man and a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I would normally say its manky but I was at a picnic in a park last week and there was a bottle of wine produced. I think it all depends on how obvious it is and how much of a pain in the ass you are. Its possible to drink in public and not draw attention to yourself but sadly Irish numpties don't seem to have learnt that yet :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I like to go all out.

Put on my homeless clothes, jump into a dumpster and piss myself at traffic lights in town.

If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Its only allowed on a GAA Sunday over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cans in public are a bit much IMO. Bottles look classier. Not a very logical argument, but I agree with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Usually have a can or two on the last bus into town on a Friday or Saturday night.I wouldn't walk down a main street in Dublin swigging a can though.That's what naggins and bottles of coke are for!

Have been stopped a few times by the Gardai for drinking in public.One time me and my mate were walking down to the bus stop at 11pm one night and a squad car pulled over with blue lights flashing,3 massive guards got out and told me that this will be the most expensive beer I'd ever have cos it's a €65 fine for drinking in public.I was very apolgetic and polite with them etc and they took my name and address,but I never heard anything about it again.

Another sunny day me and my mate were drinking beside her apartment at the canal and two plain clothes Gardai stopped their car, searched us and took our names,but told us that we were okay to drink our cans there as long as we put them in the bin when we were finished.Probably depends on how sound the guard that stops you is I suppose.And how much you co-operate with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

That's the worst kind,when you see a group of people pass around a bottle and take a swig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Absolutely illegal, it's down to local bye-laws to set how illegal it is. There tends to be crackdowns at certain times of the year when you can be likely to be caught as can be seen above.

Advertisement