Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Togepi wrote: »
    Technically if you only do four there is a chance you won't have any poet on the day. :P But that chance is really small, so it's up to you!

You have a chance of 1.4% of getting fúcked over in that case.
    Like I said before, trends count for something.
    So probability is virtually 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »
    Okay here's a really interesting stat I've just worked out.

First of all who are the three least likely poets to appear on our exam?
    Frost, Boland, Kavanagh most would say. Assume the probability of any two of these appearing is 0.
    Now if you're a person who likes to analyse trends this applies to you. If you study 2 poets the chances of 1 of them appearing is 93%. Not bad huh?
    That's what I'm going with anyway.

Is that just taking those three out of the equation altogether? Sure you can't do that! :eek:

Mental. :pac:

Is that just taking those three out of the equation altogether? Sure you can't do that! :eek:

Mental. :pac:

No take any two you like out of the equation of Frost, Boland and Kavanagh and p=93%
    If you don't it's closer to p=80% which isn't a bad gamble in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

THEY'RE MAKING THE EXAMS LESS PREDICTABLE, EVERYTHING YOU THINK WILL COME UP WON'T AND EVERYTHING YOU DON'T THINK IS GOING TO COME UP WILL. THERE IS NO HOPE

/paranoid pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Con_Con93

finality wrote: »
    Doesn't that give 98%?

Oh god. I hate probability. :(

Ya, it does. 93% is the answer, just for it to be confirmed once and for all :P .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Namlub wrote: »
    They might be absolute snakes and put Boland on just because she seems so unlikely. But honestly I can't see Plath and/or Heaney not coming up so I'm going to spend way more time on them than Boland (doing Rich and Kavanagh as well)
    Or Frost and Boland..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

But if you did learn 4/5 wouldn't at least 2 of those poets come up :S? you'd just have less choice .

But if you did learn 4/5 wouldn't at least 2 of those poets come up :S? you'd just have less choice .

No, seeing as there's 8 poets and 4 come up, if you just do 4 then the 4 you don't do could come up (very unlikely). If you do 5 you're guaranteed 1, and there's a 93% chance there'll be at least 2 you've studied on the paper. :D

No, seeing as there's 8 poets and 4 come up, if you just do 4 then the 4 you don't do could come up (very unlikely). If you do 5 you're guaranteed 1, and there's a 93% chance there'll be at least 2 you've studied on the paper. :D

Oh yeah true . I might try and learn Larkin I have a feeling he might come up . I still need to go over Kavanagh. I guess I should try and have 5 poets. I do have 5 at the moment but Bolands unlikely and I'm not bothering with her so I just have 4 really. My teachers only going over paper 1 now too , but paper 1 is usually my strongest well it was in ordinary anyway might be different in honours.

Very nicely presented:p

• Advertisement

Hey, hey, hey guys! Turns out I was right the whole time...
    Can any mathsy person work out the probability of having at least 2 of your poets come up on the day if you study 5?

I tried it and I got 93%, surely that's way off?!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuGp6hzBGRpHJKuhZzzCFMPYV4_-bQ5N-dpHUiZW6piEJ1iPDIhUZO9w

(I actually got 92.67% the first time. 0.2% of a difference... Way off!!) :P

Was just looking at the chart thingy for Biology, seems like they left a load of stuff out last year? As in human reproduction didn't come up for the first time ever, they didn't ask plant reproduction, blood, heart, breathing, nervous system, skeleton, viruses, defence system...no idea if that means anything for us, but yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Namlub wrote: »
    Was just looking at the chart thingy for Biology, seems like they left a load of stuff out last year? As in human reproduction didn't come up for the first time ever, they didn't ask plant reproduction, blood, heart, breathing, nervous system, skeleton, viruses, defence system...no idea if that means anything for us, but yeah.

They have a new lad in making the papers and last year was his first year setting a paper, so it's not likely he'll stick to past trends... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Getting a tad worried, I'm not sure whether I'm confident for the exams at this stage, I don't feel like I put in enough work

We'll see how it goes with the following weeks

Ohh, so anything could come up this year then. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

If you haven't got the "Rapid Revision" book, I really recommend it. It has the key points in each chapter summarized nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

For some reason I can't use revision books, I just can't seem to learn anything from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

finality wrote: »
    For some reason I can't use revision books, I just can't seem to learn anything from them.

Same I think they cut down the info too much :O and the layout of them aint nice :O I cant learn stuff thats typed out mostly either so I have to handwrite things an awful lot :O I hate like loose sheets and stuff too :rolleyes: So basically I'm really picky :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Same I think they cut down the info too much :O and the layout of them aint nice :O I cant learn stuff thats typed out mostly either so I have to handwrite things an awful lot :O I hate like loose sheets and stuff too :rolleyes: So basically I'm really picky :L

Yeah I like writing things out too. :P I got revision books for chemistry and physics, tried to use the chem one a while ago but things are worded differently in it or it does the experiments differently and it just confuses me. I think I'll be sticking with the book.

And I sort of feel like the book is the bible of chemistry and nothing that isn't in it can come up, I don't trust revision books to cover everything :L

I can't sleep now. :( Just keep thinking about probability. :pac:

• Advertisement

I can't sleep now. :( Just keep thinking about probability. :pac:

Take comfort knowing that LC questions tend to be very one dimensional!

Eathrin wrote: »
    Take comfort knowing that LC questions tend to be very one dimensional!

Haha yeah that's true. :D I still need to revise that section though, I'm awful at it now and I aced it when we did it first!

I was just wondering could you imagine if it was like the English system where we did A levels but only did 3 subjects. I don't know if you just go in to those subjects in more detail. An maths wasn't compulsory it's your choice whether to do maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

What would be a good idea is to study the likely poets (Sylvia, Larkin..) and an unlikely one (Paddy Kavanagh). That way if the predicted poets come up youre grand, if SEC decide to troll you youre covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

subz3r0 wrote: »
    What would be a good idea is to study the likely poets (Sylvia, Larkin..) and an unlikely one (Paddy Kavanagh). That way if the predicted poets come up youre grand, if SEC decide to troll you youre covered.
    'tis my plan in a nutshell :p

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

subz3r0 wrote: »
    'tis my plan in a nutshell :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Siobhnk wrote: »
    They have a new lad in making the papers and last year was his first year setting a paper, so it's not likely he'll stick to past trends... :/
    Is that just for biology or for everything?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Less than a month left and I care less now than ever :( My boyf in 5th year is doing more than me!

Loads of people have been leaving and are now studying at home.
    I'm not sure whether to do the same I do get more work done. I keep taking certain days off to study and probably tomorrow. I'm thinking I might start but just go in for english while it's on and it's mostly on in the afternoon or just before lunch one day and I only live up the road. Then english can be really empty one day no one might be in. I left early today as I was getting nothing done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Loads of people have been leaving and are now studying at home.
    I'm not sure whether to do the same I do get more work done. I keep taking certain days off to study and probably tomorrow. I'm thinking I might start but just go in for english while it's on and it's mostly on in the afternoon or just before lunch one day and I only live up the road. Then english can be really empty one day no one might be in. I left early today as I was getting nothing done.
    Left early too :/ nobody in and even though there were a few teachers wasted time complaining bout it :( goin to library in town much better than that tbh :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement