Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BJJ a team sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Does that make the argument less valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

really?? we now have a tkd guy telling us bjj is an individual sport...

Yes really :p

Not sure why I can't tell you, plus good argument there against any points I made!!

btw, while still crap at it, I've done about 2yrs of BJJ on and off, so there!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

really?? we now have a tkd guy telling us bjj is an individual sport...
    Well tkd is a sport on the Olympic level...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Football is a team sport, played at the olympic level. Ill get onto robbie keane on twitter and ask him if bjj is a team sport.... assume thats cool with you guys as training in a different area seems to be the necessary criteria to discuss this topic.

ill keep you posted.

Clive wrote: »
    Does that make the argument less valid?

of course it does? I have no experience training and competing as part of a tkd team so i feel my opinion on the matter is beyond invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Guys if you have an issue with someone's argument, can you try and address the argument directly.

@robbiekeane - i think its an individual sport and i once took a peno on shay given, I have no problem playing against teammates and we have to do it regularly. It disgusted me watching the world pro jiu jitsu cup to see buchecha close out the final with his teammate Antonio Carlos Jr. I mean thats just not what we want to see.

:)

Guys if you have an issue with someone's argument, can you try and address the argument directly.

If this was directed at me; the point i am trying to make is that an opinion on something you do not fully understand should not be given much weight. The same lads get on the 'thanks' wagon every time.

I dont talk about MMA or TKD or any other sport where i would be out of my depth. And I dont pretend like I know better than the guys who compete at the top level on an international stage. (if the top black belts dont mind closing out divisions, then neither should you)

Me and my mates have essentially dedicated our lives to being part of a bjj 'team, with the view of helping each other progress as quickly and as far as possible. When someone who trains once or twice a week (or not at all) tells me that this isnt a team sport and i should have no problem fighting my teammate.... well you know the rest.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Perhaps bjj is more of a team activity rather than a team sport

Thread need poll anyway.

Bambi wrote: »
    Perhaps bjj is more of a team activity rather than a team sport

Thread need poll anyway.

Ideally people will just take my word for it.

• Advertisement

Chris89 wrote: »
    If this was directed at me; the point i am trying to make is that an opinion on something you do not fully understand should not be given much weight.
    The comment was partially aimed at you, but really it's a reminder for everybody. Threads go nowhere when this kind of thing happens.

If all you can say is that the people who don't share your opinion just don't understand, then don't expect to make any progress discussing the subject with them.

I guess it boils down to if you want to have a discussion or a circle-jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Me and my mates have essentially dedicated our lives to being part of a bjj 'team, with the view of helping each other progress as quickly and as far as possible. When someone who trains once or twice a week (or not at all) tells me that this isnt a team sport and i should have no problem fighting my teammate.... well you know the rest.:)

Well, I haven't dedicated my life to say football so I guess I'm not entitled to say that is a team sport. Maybe it's an individual sport and I never knew..

Agree, a poll is needed! :)

If this was directed at me; the point i am trying to make is that an opinion on something you do not fully understand should not be given much weight. The same lads get on the 'thanks' wagon every time.

I dont talk about MMA or TKD or any other sport where i would be out of my depth. And I dont pretend like I know better than the guys who compete at the top level on an international stage. (if the top black belts dont mind closing out divisions, then neither should you)

So your central treatise is that because you play the sport very regularly, your opinion on whether one man fighting another man constitutes a team sport is more valid than others. I don't doubt you have a good team ethic as a lot of teams do, but if we're talking about whether the event , not the whole gamut, is a team sport or not, the answer is, and cannot be other than, no. One man, performing an act alone, cannot be a team.

Athletics clubs have very tight bonds among runners, but I don't think anyone would argue for the 1500m being a team sport.

As for your argument that all who train will agree, I do this sport quite a bit and I still disagree with you. I doubt I'm alone.

This is fast overtaking the obesity thread in the "oddest things to talk about" stakes.

of course it does? I have no experience training and competing as part of a tkd team so i feel my opinion on the matter is beyond invalid.

Well you just stated in your previous post that football was a team sport. If I was to say that it was an individual sport would you be wrong because I've played more football?

Team sport and individual sport are commonly used terms in the English language, except when it comes to BJJ apparently.

Clive wrote: »

Well you just stated in your previous post that football was a team sport. If I was to say that it was an individual sport would you be wrong because I've played more football?

Team sport and individual sport are commonly used terms in the English language, except when it comes to BJJ apparently.

The issue is that I obviously have a different use of the term team sport. I understand it is not a theme sport in a literal sense. I hope we all do, or else this thread is a bit pointless.

This is fast overtaking the obesity thread in the "oddest things to talk about" stakes.
    Link please?

I suppose another point to consider is that in a lot of the individual sports mentioned like athletics and other skill sports can essentially be trained alone to some degree.

I think the difference with martial arts and sports jiu jistu is that you must train with a variety of people in order to be successful in competition. And I think that's why a lot of people involved in an environment like this will think of it as a team sport. Figuratively, obviously.

Link please?
    Dear god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think the difference with martial arts and sports jiu jistu is that you must train with a variety of people in order to be successful in competition. And I think that's why a lot of people involved in an environment like this will think of it as a team sport. Figuratively, obviously.

Boxing, TKD, Mma, fencing, all individual sports yet you need a team for practise

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »

Boxing, TKD, Mma, fencing, all individual sports yet you need a team for practise

Yes, that's what I said.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's what I said.

Great so now we all agree it's an individual sport.

Yes, that's what I said.

Great so now we all agree it's an individual sport.

Surely the debate isn't a language one. I understand it is literally an individual sport. But I thought the question implied a little more than that.

Surely the debate isn't a language one. I understand it is literally an individual sport. But I thought the question implied a little more than that.

Good stuff at least we all know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marcus.phelan

Good stuff at least we all know now.

the question obviously implied more than the literal sense, i reckon the OP is aware that you step on the mat alone.... childish argument

the question obviously implied more than the literal sense, i reckon the OP is aware that you step on the mat alone.... childish argument

If anyone was to think that BJJ training/Coaching did not involve a team I would call that childish.

read my initial answer anyway if you want to see what i felt.

Why didn't you engage in the discussion on that basis? "Obviously in a competetive sense BJJ is strictly defined as an individual sport, but in my opinion the team ethos in BJJ etc" rather than just sniping from the sidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Here was me thinking Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu was a giant tag team brawl.
    "Obviously in a competetive sense BJJ is strictly defined as an individual sport, but in my opinion the team ethos in BJJ" pushes it firmly into a grey area.
    I don't think comparisons with athletics, tennis etc really wash, these are pure strain individual sports and can be trained outside of the confines of a team.
    Also the sporting "culture" of BJJ is extremely team focused, more so than many other combat sports.

I've done TKD/kickboxing, muay Thai, judo and BJJ. MT was the only one of those where they didn't emphasise the importance of being part of a team, but I have a feeing that was largely because the class was just starting up and was run by inexperienced guys who didn't yet know how to get the most out of people.

(That class wasn't in Ireland in case any of the MT guys reading this think I'm talking about you.)

So in a non literal sense, would you agree that bjj is a team sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

What's the point of the poll?

Advertisement