Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

based on the last couple frames. carter to win

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Stephen looks like he could snap his cue in half at any moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

If a player at the table trails by 19pts and there is only 18pts on (blue,pink,black) but he miss counts and thinks he only needs the last 3 colours to win and pots the blue and pink and prepares for the black. Will the black be a scoring ball on that visit or will the ref call the frame to the opponent after he pots the pink seeing you cant play for snookers on the black?.

I ask because bookies do points spreads under/over 101pts so wondering would the black be eligible to count as a scoring ball or not. I suspect not but im not sure the rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

If a player at the table trails by 19pts and there is only 18pts on (blue,pink,black) but he miss counts and thinks he only needs the last 3 colours to win and pots the blue and pink and prepares for the black. Will the black be a scoring ball on that visit or will the ref call the frame to the opponent after he pots the pink seeing you cant play for snookers on the black?.

I ask because bookies do points spreads under/over 101pts so wondering would the black be eligible to count as a scoring ball or not. I suspect not but im not sure the rule.

Great question, strictly speaking the frame is over if there is more than 7 pts in it on the black, therefore if the player reaches the black and is 8 behind the frame is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Quick question regarding an incident that happened yesterday in the Carter V Jones game. In one of the later frames Jones jawed the white ball leaving Carter snookered in the jaws of the pocket unable to hit the reds. It took him four or five efforts but he did eventually swerved the white to hit the red.

I was wondering what would happen if Carter had absolutely no shot on ie if it was impossible to hit the red. Would he have to keep on trying, giving away fouls until his opponent had enough points to deem the frame over or would the ref give him some leeway seeing as there is no shot on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah ive often imagined the occurrence i suggested as a backer in a foxhole!.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anyone remember this from several years ago? Confused the hell out of me at the time.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well if you are counting points scored, well yes the points he accumulates are off course counted.
    No ruling states you cannot play on no matter what is left on the table, in some instances players who have been kept off the table will take the opportunity to get their arm going as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Jernal wrote: »
    Anyone remember this from several years ago? Confused the hell out of me at the time.

i remember watching that match. vergo still using his fractions catchphrase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

zack01 wrote: »
    One of the nicest players I forgot to mention and he'd never forgive me is Joe Swail, an absolute diamond

Joe's a lovely fella. I got in a fight in a nightclub in Sheffield in 2002 for him when some geezer stuck the head on him for no reason because the fella's missus kept comin over and talkin to Joe!

I may have been involved in a few hotel singsongs with you after hours man, does your name begin with an M? I was only a freshfaced 16-21 yo durin my snooker travellin days with Mick Judge.

babymanval wrote: »
    Joe's a lovely fella. I got in a fight in a nightclub in Sheffield in 2002 for him when some geezer stuck the head on him for no reason because the fella's missus kept comin over and talkin to Joe!

I may have been involved in a few hotel singsongs with you after hours man, does your name begin with an M? I was only a freshfaced 16-21 yo durin my snooker travellin days with Mick Judge.

No not me but I know exactly who your talking about, he travelled with Ken after I retired in 2003!!
    He's since fallen out with Ken, says a lot about someone when you can fall out with Ken Doherty.
    No doubt we've met, pity Mick isnt on the tour anymore, very fond of Mick and a hell of a player to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

So is it totally up to the referee to decide if the shot is impossible or not? Like if Carter had missed that shot say 20 times in a row yesterday would the ref keep on calling miss or would there be a point where he'd eventually say enough is enough.

Pighead wrote: »
    So is it totally up to the referee to decide if the shot is impossible or not? Like if Carter had missed that shot say 20 times in a row yesterday would the ref keep on calling miss or would there be a point where he'd eventually say enough is enough.

He can keep calling a miss until the snookers required stage is reached or the other player sportingly doesn't take the miss or the refs deems it a fair attempt. These days though you really have to get out of the snooker for it not to be called such is the standard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ali wins a very mediocre first session 5-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Thanks, can't watch today... work getting in the way...

Maguire behind for the first time in the tournament, Carter played that session exactly how you do against a player like Maguire.

PS
    Can anyone tell me how I can put photos up on this forum from my phone please

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Jernal wrote: »

here's the post-match explanation from the ref...

...that 'loophole' has since been closed although the "foul & a miss" rule still seems a bit unknowable - somebody said in commentary the other day that after a 3rd unsuccessful attempt at the same shot (with a miss called), the frame would be forfeit and yet Ronnie had 9 goes at the same red in his 2nd-round match against Mark Williams...:confused::eek:

• Advertisement

Enjoy, take some photos and share them with us, won't you? :D

btw I now officially hate Thursday mornings. It's so boring! :p

Can any one explain how i can upload to this forum from my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yes, you need to upload them somewhere on the web and then link to them. pix.ie is a handy site for that, also, I know photobucket has apps for android and ios.

Then just link them in your post with the insert image icon insertimage.gif

Detailed thread over here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It'd be a slight bit awkward on Boards mobile. Depending on the phone you are using. You'd need an app to resize the photo as it would be massive, another to upload the photo to a host site (something like flickr), , and then just get the link of the photo and use the [IMG][/IMG] tags.

Would be fantastic to see some, if you can figure out the handiest way for yourself.

EDIT: If you have a twitter page, it would be really easy to share the photos with us!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Sorry mate I'm a tech-idiot. I'd love to see some of your pics though...:)

It's a tough rule to enforce sometimes, players are feeling that their integrity is being called into question sometimes, there was a vote last year to (a) change the rule slightly and (b) do away with the rule completely. The players voted to keep it and called on the referees to use their better judgement in these circumstances.

I'm sure a lot of the lads on here remember shortly after it was introduced, Ken Doherty was playing Steve Davis in The Irish Masters in Goffs, at 4-4 Ken left Davis in the baulk area, Davis could see several reds but tried to clip the more difficult red and return the white to baulk. He missed twice, John Williams the referee warned him what would happen if he were to miss again, Davis played the same shot missed and the match was awarded to Doherty.
    The funny thing was hardly anybody in the audience knew what had just happened !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I was under the impression a miss could only be called if there was an easier escape for the player to take. Otherwise it was simply just a foul.:confused:

• Advertisement

Could not agree more with you there. It's funny but one of the worst offenders was Willie Thorne, and he's one of the most critical of all the commentators. He was actually so well known for doing it that in clubs you would hear someone say 'you just played a Willie there' !

Advertisement